Register
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.11.19 @ 01:44 AM
    Liked 1,358 Times in 875 Posts

I think the only songs that could be nixed from the Dave Era are some of the covers, as there are too many. Their originals are all so different from each other and stand on their own to a point where they are one of the few hard rock bands with no filler material which makes it too hard. I chose "House of Pain" earlier in this thread and it was excruciating to do so. But the covers...

"You're No Good," as much as I love it (and especially the solo and background vocals), wasn't necessary and they should've either went with "Down in Flames" or something original with Eddie's riff.

"Where Have All the Good Times Gone!" which I love even more and is my second favorite from DD...it's another Kinks song. Well, Bowie's version so it's a cover of a cover. Can't bee covering 2 songs from an artist. Well, I guess unless you're Quiet Riot and you're original shit isn't that good.

"Dancing in the Street," my least favorite Dave Era song, obviously should've been an original like EVH planned. Although I'd keep that one over the others despite liking them more because I think it's pretty cool they covered a Motown song.

Obviously YRGM, OPW, and ICM are keepers. "Big Bad Bill," although kinda similar to CTBM, is different from it enough as obviously "Magic" is an original and, most of all, the obvious-featuring-Jan-aspect. So that definitely a keeper. "Happy Trails" is classic VH to a T and just a novelty to end the album anyways and plus it's shows off their phenomenal harmonies. Must keep.

The song they should've released was their version of The Who's version of "Summertime Blues."

And don't get me wrong, I'd do anything to hear "In the Midnight Hour."

But those could've been B-sides and they could've just kept: YRGM, ICM, OPW, BBBISWN, and HT.

With Sammy, I'd B-side the following:

"A Apolitical Blues," although it was cool hearing VH play the blues. If they were gonna release a cover, it should've been "Rock and Roll")

The original would again be "Sucker in 3 Piece" for the reason I mentioned earlier in the thread. It should've been worked on more.

"Source of Infection" should've had real lyrics obviously and he should've just scatted a little bit in the song--maybe just part of the verses or just the second verse. That would've been pretty cool actually, but it was overkill.

"Black and Blue" is a poor man's "Best of Both Worlds" so it should've been restructured musically and they should've re-titled it something without the double-B's.

I'm fine with "Spanked," although it's one of my least favorites, and I still don't see the hate toward MOAM.

And I see nothing wrong with the songs on Balance. I think they're great. Even "Cun't Stop Lovin' You."
    Last edited by DFVH5150; 07.31.19 at 10:13 AM.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.10.19 @ 10:44 PM
    Liked 17,250 Times in 9,114 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFVH5150 View Post
    I think the only songs that could be nixed from the Dave Era are some of the covers, as there are too many. Their originals are all so different from each other and stand on their own to a point where they are one of the few hard rock bands with no filler material which makes it too hard. I chose "House of Pain" earlier in this thread and it was excruciating to do so. But the covers...

"You're No Good," as much as I love it (and especially the solo and background vocals), wasn't necessary and they should've either went with "Down in Flames" or something original with Eddie's riff.

"Where Have All the Good Times Gone!" which I love even more and is my second favorite from DD...it's another Kinks song. Well, Bowie's version so it's a cover of a cover. Can't bee covering 2 songs from an artist. Well, I guess unless you're Quiet Riot and you're original shit isn't that good.

"Dancing in the Street," my least favorite Dave Era song, obviously should've been an original like EVH planned. Although I'd keep that one over the others despite liking them more because I think it's pretty cool they covered a Motown song.

Obviously YRGM, OPW, and ICM are keepers. "Big Bad Bill," although kinda similar to CTBM, is different from it enough as obviously "Magic" is an original and, most of all, the obvious-featuring-Jan-aspect. So that definitely a keeper. "Happy Trails" is classic VH to a T and just a novelty to end the album anyways and plus it's shows off their phenomenal harmonies. Must keep.

The song they should've released was their version of The Who's version of "Summertime Blues."

But those could've been B-sides and they could've just kept: YRGM, ICM, OPW, BBBISWN, and HT.

"A Apolitical Blues" (and if they were gonna release a cover, it should've been "Rock and Roll") and "Sucker in 3 Piece" for the reason I mentioned earlier in the thread. It should've been worked on more.

"Source of Infection" should've had real lyrics obviously and he should've just scatted a little bit in the song--maybe just part of the verses or just the second verse. That would've been pretty cool actually, but it was overkill.

"Black and Blue" is a poor man's "Best of Both Worlds" so it should've been restructured musically and they should've re-titled it something with the double-B's.

I'm fine with "Spanked," although it's one of my least favorites, and I still don't see the hate toward MOAM.

And I see nothing wrong with the songs on Balance.
    Uh, I beg to differ...

The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

10.22.19 @ 11:45 AM
    Liked 4,215 Times in 2,683 Posts

Donor

"A Apolitical Blues," although it was cool hearing VH play the blues. If they were gonna release a cover, it should've been "Rock and Roll")

The original would again be "Sucker in 3 Piece" for the reason I mentioned earlier in the thread. It should've been worked on more.

"Black and Blue" is a poor man's "Best of Both Worlds" so it should've been restructured musically and they should've re-titled it something without the double-B's.

And I see nothing wrong with the songs on Balance. I think they're great. Even "Cun't Stop Lovin' You."
    Covers were not allowed in this hypothetical.

Nobody reads threads through anymore.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.11.19 @ 01:44 AM
    Liked 1,358 Times in 875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Covers were not allowed in this hypothetical.

Nobody reads threads through anymore.
    I said "House of Pain" earlier and that was it. This was just an elaboration you non-reader, you.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

10.22.19 @ 11:45 AM
    Liked 4,215 Times in 2,683 Posts

Donor

I said "House of Pain" earlier and that was it. This was just an elaboration you non-reader, you.
    Elaboration, cool. Geffen. Nobody reads

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 8,083 Times in 4,071 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by DressedinRags View Post
    Am I the only fan of OFOTD? If I could play Ted Templeman for a day, they would have dropped Sunday Afternoon and extended OFOTD. Anyway, my drop vote would never be OFOTD - I'd rather hear that live than Jump or Panama.
    I donít know if Ed could play that now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

09.12.19 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 2,050 Times in 1,027 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    I don’t know if Ed could play that now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I doubt it myself.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

12.08.19 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 1,051 Times in 613 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    It's not the same band though.

The attitude that created those songs walked out the door in 1985 and was replaced with something different.

I'm no Mach II hater but it is clear as day that Dave's departure changed the attitude of the band. People like to say it was going to happen anyway and that 1984 was the start of it but that's nonsense. Jump and I'll Wait still have the CVH attitude even with the use of keyboards. Stuff like WCTBL, Dreams, and LWI would have never seen the light of day had Dave not left the band.
    I donít know if it was just Dave leaving...seems he & Ted would be the only ones whoíd tell Eddie something he may not have wanted to hear.

The 5150 album debuting at number one...that was probably going to happen anyway off of the strength 1984, how long it stayed number one is on its own merit.

I can clearly recall liking Eat ĎEm Smile more as well as thinking they got the ďI canít drive 55Ē dude, that wannabe? Their gonna suck now. And for me, they did.

I donít think they developed an identity or worked out the band dynamics until FUCK....and that didnít last long. The Ď95 tour footage is pretty telling how Sam & Ed felt about each other.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.10.19 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 934 Times in 500 Posts

Donor

Little Dreamer.

Aint' Talkin Bout Love...makes me physically sick. Like the song, but can't even hear the opening riff.

Maybe Push Comes To Shove. That's about it, if we're not including covers or the shorts.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.09.19 @ 02:43 PM
    Liked 12,625 Times in 6,915 Posts

ATBL????

That song was a revelation to me, with that intro.
    It blew me away, how cool it sounded & the song itself.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.10.19 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 934 Times in 500 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    ATBL????

That song was a revelation to me, with that intro.
    It blew me away, how cool it sounded & the song itself.
    I used to like the song, still do, but I was deathly sick once and as I lay there, wishing for death, that song was playing....and the "Hey Hey Hey" part was going, and going and going....and now every time I hear it, that same feeling comes over me and I skip it.

I probably could just power through it a couple times and get over it, but I haven't.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V