Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16
    Baluchitherium Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.28.12
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    4,577
    Favorite VH Album

    all 7
    Favorite VH Song

    ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

    10.25.19 @ 08:02 PM
    Likes
    1,939
    Liked 2,748 Times in 1,269 Posts

    Default


  2. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:


  3. #17
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    13,903
    Favorite VH Album

    II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

    11.12.19 @ 09:09 PM
    Likes
    8,415
    Liked 12,476 Times in 6,827 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
    Never mind, I looked it up, it's the Washburn Nuno guitar
    These wood guitars, all of them, look so stripped & hot rod.

    I love that "Boogie Bodies" axe, man.

    Nobody was going for that bare bones, but high octane vibe, back in '79/80/81.

    You look at these guitars, and you just KNOW the necks are bare wood, no gloss,
    and play amazing.
    You know the set-up is PERFECT, too.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

  4. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  5. #18
    Atomic Punk JUNGLE DRUMMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.20.07
    Age
    45
    Posts
    14,461
    Favorite VH Album

    WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

    11.12.19 @ 09:53 PM
    Likes
    48,739
    Liked 13,967 Times in 7,600 Posts

    Default

    I wish there were public photos of the whole band playing during the WACF sessions, like the ones from the VHII sessions. I've always really wanted to see how Alex had his kit configurated in the studio for WACF. Especially for tracks like LOC and IASR where he's hitting everything but the kitchen sink.

  6. #19
    Unchained RogueNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.04.12
    Location
    Nastyville, Tennishoe
    Posts
    524
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Too many to list...
    Last Online

    11.05.19 @ 04:26 PM
    Likes
    320
    Liked 351 Times in 184 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
    Yes, I did notice that, but the pick-up and knob appear to be in the proprer Rude position.
    The Floyd would have been installed after this pic was taken
    Look at the heel behind the neck pocket...that's always the dead giveaway that it's the Rude. That mahogany body was something like two inches thick- around a 1/2 inch thicker than a traditional Strat, so the heel under the neck pocket looks ridiculously thick.

  7. #20
    Eruption
    Join Date
    07.13.16
    Age
    56
    Location
    northern Illinois
    Posts
    1,029
    Favorite VH Album

    Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

    One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

    11.08.19 @ 05:02 PM
    Likes
    860
    Liked 724 Times in 464 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    I wish there were public photos of the whole band playing during the WACF sessions, like the ones from the VHII sessions. I've always really wanted to see how Alex had his kit configurated in the studio for WACF. Especially for tracks like LOC and IASR where he's hitting everything but the kitchen sink.
    JD, I have seen wider shots from that WACF photo session, where more of the drum†set is visible.
    The drums are just on the other side of that half wall on the left.
    I would look for you, but I'm too obsessed with this thick guitar thing, LOL!


    Quote Originally Posted by RogueNT View Post
    Look at the heel behind the neck pocket...that's always the dead giveaway that it's the Rude. That mahogany body was something like two inches thick- around a 1/2 inch thicker than a traditional Strat, so the heel under the neck pocket looks ridiculously thick.
    Thanks Rogue, but my original query is that Edward had several thick bare guitars over the years, and I'm trying to sort them out, and maybe one of them, or maybe none of them, became the Rude
    Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !



  8. #21
    Eruption
    Join Date
    07.13.16
    Age
    56
    Location
    northern Illinois
    Posts
    1,029
    Favorite VH Album

    Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

    One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

    11.08.19 @ 05:02 PM
    Likes
    860
    Liked 724 Times in 464 Posts

    Default

    I let my Edward Nerd flag fly today, and got busy marking up some (not so good) pictures. Here's what I got;



    This is the first one I ever saw, in Guitar World, and affectionally refer to as The Hog.
    It's the only one that I know of that Edward spoke about, and said it was thick (like a Les Paul) and made of Mahogany, in order to subdue the brittle brightness of the prototype Floyds, that Ed was field testing for FR at the time.
    As you can see, the pick up location is fairly close to the Floyd, and the volume knob is about in line with the edge of the pick up.
    Also, the jack centerline intersects about the third string bridge saddle.
    I'm fairly certain this picture was taken in late '79, going by Ed's pink jumpsuit and "W" gym shoes, and maybe even the same day as the WACF recording studio photos, where this picture is from;



    Now jumping ahead to the FW tour, and Edward's bare guitars;



    There's really no way of knowing if this one is thick or not, or even if it's mahogany or alder, so I just consider it one of Ed's bare guitars.
    The pick up is a little further from the Floyd, and again the knob is about in line with the pick up edge.
    The jack centerline is intersecting about where the bar attaches.

    This one is interesting;



    It appears thick, but I'm not sure what the wood is. Edward must have been using this one only for the non-trem songs, as a hard tail;
    no Floyd, no nut clamp, no bar.
    The pick up is further from the bridge, and the jack centerline intersects about the third saddle,
    but the knob location is above the pick up edge.

    So, I've learned that Edward had several different bare naked guitars, and that none of these could have become the Rude;



    The Rude's volume knob is clearly in between the pivot points and the pick up edge, which is even further away from the Floyd.
    And the jack centerline intersects about where the fourth string saddle would be.

    Now I can get some sleep, and dream about how I'm going to enjoy playing my very own Hog and/or Rude replicant someday!


    Maybe
    Last edited by turnbuckle; 07.28.19 at 08:04 PM.
    Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !



  9. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:


  10. #22
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    13,903
    Favorite VH Album

    II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

    11.12.19 @ 09:09 PM
    Likes
    8,415
    Liked 12,476 Times in 6,827 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
    I let my Edward Nerd flag fly today, and got busy marking up some (not so good) pictures. Here's what I got;



    This is the first one I ever saw, in Guitar World, and affectionally refer to as The Hog.
    It's the only one that I know of that Edward spoke about, and said it was thick (like a Les Paul) and made of Mahogany, in order to subdue the brittle brightness of the prototype Floyds, that Ed was field testing for FR at the time.
    As you can see, the pick up location is fairly close to the Floyd, and the volume knob is about in line with the edge of the pick up.
    Also, the jack centerline intersects about the third string bridge saddle.
    I'm fairly certain this picture was taken in late '79, going by Ed's pink jumpsuit and "W" gym shoes, and maybe even the same day as the WACF recording studio photos, where this picture is from;



    Now jumping ahead to the FW tour, and Edward's bare guitars;



    There's really no way of knowing if this one is thick or not, or even if it's mahogany or alder, so I just consider it one of Ed's bare guitars.
    The pick up is a little further from the Floyd, and again the knob is about in line with the pick up edge.
    The jack centerline is intersecting about where the bar attaches.

    This one is interesting;



    It appears thick, but I'm not sure what the wood is. Edward must have been using this one only for the non-trem songs, as a hard tail;
    no Floyd, no nut clamp, no bar.
    The pick up is further from the bridge, and the jack centerline intersects about the third saddle,
    but the knob location is above the pick up edge.

    So, I've learned that Edward had several different bare naked guitars, and that none of these could have become the Rude;



    The Rude's volume knob is clearly in between the pivot points and the pick up edge, which is even further away from the Floyd.
    And the jack centerline intersects about where the fourth string saddle would be.

    Now I can get some sleep, and dream about how I'm going to enjoy playing my very own Hog and/or Rude replicant someday!


    Maybe
    I never knew he had so many bare wood guitars, all i knew about was the Hog.

    I wonder if he got these bodies, and planned on painting them?

    But you just know The Hog is somewhere on WACF, also that LP.
    Of course, the Chris Holmes Destroyer.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

  11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  12. #23
    Eruption
    Join Date
    07.13.16
    Age
    56
    Location
    northern Illinois
    Posts
    1,029
    Favorite VH Album

    Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

    One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

    11.08.19 @ 05:02 PM
    Likes
    860
    Liked 724 Times in 464 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I never knew he had so many bare wood guitars, all i knew about was the Hog.

    I wonder if he got these bodies, and planned on painting them?

    But you just know The Hog is somewhere on WACF, also that LP.
    Of course, the Chris Holmes Destroyer.
    I'm pretty sure he's said that he used the 335 for Cradle, and if you look real close, that Les Paul is without it's bridge pick up when they shot those WACF photos. He may have put it any one of the other guitars he had sitting there.
    And the saga continues... LOL!

    Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !



  13. #24
    Eruption Simon Ribeiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.19.04
    Location
    Badlands / Brazil
    Posts
    1,134
    Favorite VH Album

    The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

    From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

    11.12.19 @ 11:55 AM
    Likes
    4,225
    Liked 707 Times in 473 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Nice shot!!! And that naked guitar body got the Danelectro neck!!!!! Great stuff!

    EVH Guitars would know all these things about all the old stuff EVH used back in the day.
    TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978
    ___________________________________

    "Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

  14. #25
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    13,903
    Favorite VH Album

    II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

    11.12.19 @ 09:09 PM
    Likes
    8,415
    Liked 12,476 Times in 6,827 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
    I'm pretty sure he's said that he used the 335 for Cradle, and if you look real close, that Les Paul is without it's bridge pick up when they shot those WACF photos. He may have put it any one of the other guitars he had sitting there.
    And the saga continues... LOL!

    Well, i guess it rules out the LP being on WACF, as the bridge pickup is removed.

    Did Ed have his Koa Gibson Flying V, at this point?
    The one on the cover of an '83 issue of Guitar World.

    I'm pretty sure Ed had a Dean V, early on.
    Those 70's Dean's were pretty nice copies of Gibsons.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

  15. #26
    Forum Frontman fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    40
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    16,566
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    1,462
    Liked 8,030 Times in 4,038 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Eddie has stated that he used a les Paul for cradle. And he even played the same one he used live on the Ď80 tour.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #27
    Forum Frontman fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    40
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    16,566
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    1,462
    Liked 8,030 Times in 4,038 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Well, i guess it rules out the LP being on WACF, as the bridge pickup is removed.

    Did Ed have his Koa Gibson Flying V, at this point?
    The one on the cover of an '83 issue of Guitar World.

    I'm pretty sure Ed had a Dean V, early on.
    Those 70's Dean's were pretty nice copies of Gibsons.
    Ed got the Flying V around 1982-83. He used that a fair amount on 1984.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Naked Cowboy VS. the Naked Cowgirl...
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06.23.10, 05:22 PM
  2. I can't bare to watch.....
    By snare812 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 03.10.06, 04:54 PM
  3. Alba Won't Bare All As Stripper in Film
    By Vince G. in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04.06.05, 05:31 AM
  4. Putting oil finish on bare neck?
    By AFU in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04.03.02, 07:23 AM
  5. Bare Naked Lades mention VH (no news, but funny)
    By jimmy in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12.06.01, 09:25 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •