Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 06:40 PM
    Liked 241 Times in 132 Posts

Default EVH COMBOS

I'm considering getting the new EL34 combo mainly for two reasons. The EL34 voicing, and the power scaling. Does anybody have one of the power scaling combos? I have the LBX with the 1/4 watt power, but it is still super loud. I was wondering if anybody could provide some input. Thanks!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.25.19 @ 03:58 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts

I have the 5150iii 50 watt 1x12 combo. It is really great. The power scaling feature is awesome and let's you dial in a sick tone a a volume that is real quiet. Like wife and kids sleeping in the house quiet. Best tone at low volume of any amp I own. Then when you get the chance to open it up it does not disappoint. I also have the 50watt el34 head and while it does sound great it does need to be very loud in order to do so. The blue channel that so many people think sucks sounds amazing but it has to be very loud so the speaker response comes into play. Channel 3 can be played at a lower volume. Channel one is a beautiful clean channel with tons of low end. I am wondering if the power scaling will make the blue channel more useable at low volume. It's not that it sounds bad, but to get close to the early van halen sound speaker distortion is a big part. Nevertheless I think you will love it. If you get it make a thread and tell us all about it!

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 06:40 PM
    Liked 241 Times in 132 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikew9788 View Post
    I have the 5150iii 50 watt 1x12 combo. It is really great. The power scaling feature is awesome and let's you dial in a sick tone a a volume that is real quiet. Like wife and kids sleeping in the house quiet. Best tone at low volume of any amp I own. Then when you get the chance to open it up it does not disappoint. I also have the 50watt el34 head and while it does sound great it does need to be very loud in order to do so. The blue channel that so many people think sucks sounds amazing but it has to be very loud so the speaker response comes into play. Channel 3 can be played at a lower volume. Channel one is a beautiful clean channel with tons of low end. I am wondering if the power scaling will make the blue channel more useable at low volume. It's not that it sounds bad, but to get close to the early van halen sound speaker distortion is a big part. Nevertheless I think you will love it. If you get it make a thread and tell us all about it!
    Thanks!

Volume is my #1 concern.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 02:08 PM
    Liked 1,417 Times in 864 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I don't have the combos...I have the 100w 6l6 and the 100w EL34 heads. I use a Jett City attenuator. Absolutely killer tones from those monsters!!!
    EVH is GOD
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Last Online

11.14.19 @ 01:14 PM
    Liked 803 Times in 389 Posts

I used to have the 5150III 1x12 combo. 1 watt is pretty nice, but it's actually still pretty loud. I would play on 1 watt downstairs and my wife upstairs would still ask me to turn it down. The other thing is, there is a sweet spot between the volume and the power scaling where the amp sounds best. For me anyway, I thought it sounded better with the power scaling just above 50% and the volume up to about 6 or 7 when gigging, than it did with the power scaling at 100% and the volume at about 4. Not sure why, but there is room for experimentation with one.

Ultimately, I ended up with an LBXII and a 212 cab. For some reason, I really like the voicing of the Blue channel on the LBX II. It's not like the Blue channel on the combo. It's more of a hotter version of the Blue channel on the Combo, and voiced somewhere in between the Blue and Red Channel. Maybe that's just a side effect of EL84 tubes, but I like where it lives.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.25.19 @ 03:58 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    I used to have the 5150III 1x12 combo. 1 watt is pretty nice, but it's actually still pretty loud. I would play on 1 watt downstairs and my wife upstairs would still ask me to turn it down. The other thing is, there is a sweet spot between the volume and the power scaling where the amp sounds best. For me anyway, I thought it sounded better with the power scaling just above 50% and the volume up to about 6 or 7 when gigging, than it did with the power scaling at 100% and the volume at about 4. Not sure why, but there is room for experimentation with one.

Ultimately, I ended up with an LBXII and a 212 cab. For some reason, I really like the voicing of the Blue channel on the LBX II. It's not like the Blue channel on the combo. It's more of a hotter version of the Blue channel on the Combo, and voiced somewhere in between the Blue and Red Channel. Maybe that's just a side effect of EL84 tubes, but I like where it lives.
    For me the combo set at one watt and the master between 2-3 sounds great. Best low volume tone ever. I now have to check out the lbxii. I never knew if it would be different enough to warrant owning but based on what you are saying it sounds like something I might add to the collection. The local GC has one for 500 bucks on clearance sale.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

09.24.19 @ 09:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I currently own the 1x12 6L6 combo. i'm looking to get a new combo to take advantage of the 3 separate channels.

any differences between the 1x12 and the 2 x 12? EL3 vs 6L6?

thanks

Last Online

11.18.19 @ 02:45 PM
    Liked 4,559 Times in 1,720 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by NCASO View Post
    I currently own the 1x12 6L6 combo. i'm looking to get a new combo to take advantage of the 3 separate channels.

any differences between the 1x12 and the 2 x 12? EL3 vs 6L6?

thanks
    If you have a Fender authorized service center they can mod your existing amp to add the concentric controls. It all depends on how much your tech charges per hour, but IIRC I've seen costs of $150-$250 thrown around.