Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 7,810 Times in 3,916 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    You realize most people are angry because Ed doesnít make music anymore right? If he did I am pretty sure most of the bitterness towards his instruments would go away.

I just donít get him paying homage to a guitar that he himself did not like.
    But that would change if he made music. Using gear on the road creates a buzz for the merch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

09.19.19 @ 01:14 AM
    Liked 2,067 Times in 961 Posts

You realize most people are angry because Ed doesn’t make music anymore right? If he did I am pretty sure most of the bitterness towards his instruments would go away.

I still don’t get him paying an homage to a guitar that he himself did not like.
    He played that guitar on 3 tours. He liked it. I bet he said he didnt like it to stop people buying the Charvel copies that were released at the time...
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

09.19.19 @ 01:29 AM
    Liked 13,671 Times in 7,420 Posts

Premium Member

You realize most people are angry because Ed doesn’t make music anymore right? If he did I am pretty sure most of the bitterness towards his instruments would go away.

I just don’t get him paying homage to a guitar that he himself did not like.
    I'm not so sure the bitterness would go away, TBH. And telling Ed, who was ALWAYS a gear head tinkerer, that he shouldn't build a successful brand of equipment through his experiences at tinkering with gear is nothing but bullshit pettiness on the part of some fans.

Sure, Ed is petty towards Mike, which is dumb, but there are fans who's pettiness towards Ed is just as dumb.

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.18.19 @ 11:20 PM
    Liked 16,561 Times in 7,287 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    He played that guitar on 3 tours. He liked it. I bet he said he didnt like it to stop people buying the Charvel copies that were released at the time...
    Well heís commented that he didnít like it very much. Thatís what I remember.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

09.18.19 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 16,390 Times in 8,629 Posts

Premium Member

You realize most people are angry because Ed doesnít make music anymore right? If he did I am pretty sure most of the bitterness towards his instruments would go away.

I still donít get him paying an homage to a guitar that he himself did not like.
    Maybe.

But there's a segment of "fans" that would still bitch and complain. The ones who think they made him rich come to mind.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    I'm not so sure the bitterness would go away, TBH. And telling Ed, who was ALWAYS a gear head tinkerer, that he shouldn't build a successful brand of equipment through his experiences at tinkering with gear is nothing but bullshit pettiness on the part of some fans.

Sure, Ed is petty towards Mike, which is dumb, but there are fans who's pettiness towards Ed is just as dumb.
    I personally donít like his new guitars at all so youíre asking the wrong person I guess. He can make them all he wants, but I donít think they are anywhere near the quality of the Peavey or the EBMM. So Iím not going to sit and praise these guitars. Iíve played them and I would not want one. I know guys here love them, but I am not one of them. Iím usually pretty neutral on my criticism, but if youíre asking me why Ed canít do what he wants with his guitars, Iím just saying how I feel about them strictly from a musical standpoint.

To me heís just putting his name on anything he can think of right now, whereas in the past I think he really wanted to put out a quality product.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Well he’s commented that he didn’t like it very much. That’s what I remember.
    I'm guessing he'll like it a lot better if he can make a bunch of money off it...

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

09.19.19 @ 01:14 AM
    Liked 2,067 Times in 961 Posts

Well he’s commented that he didn’t like it very much. That’s what I remember.
    Yeah, we have all read that but common sense would tell you that if he didnt like it, he would not of played it.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

I personally don’t like his new guitars at all so you’re asking the wrong person I guess. He can make them all he wants, but I don’t think they are anywhere near the quality of the Peavey or the EBMM. So I’m not going to sit and praise these guitars. I’ve played them and I would not want one. I know guys here love them, but I am not one of them. I’m usually pretty neutral on my criticism, but if you’re asking me why Ed can’t do what he wants with his guitars, I’m just saying how I feel about them strictly from a musical standpoint.

To me he’s just putting his name on anything he can think of right now, whereas in the past I think he really wanted to put out a quality product.
    I think this is a fair criticism.

Who knows what his contract is and if he has to make certain concessions to honor the contract.

But I have a lot more respect for someone like you who states that he doesn't like the quality of the instruments as opposed to someone just complaining about Ed making money from his guitar venture.

If you don't like the quality and playability of the product by all means state your opinion. But most of the complaints I see are griping about him making money off his guitars, to which I say, "Why do you care? If you don't like the price don't buy it."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

I recall Ed saying the guitar always sounded brittle to him. Am I crazy? He said that right?
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

I personally don’t like his new guitars at all so you’re asking the wrong person I guess. He can make them all he wants, but I don’t think they are anywhere near the quality of the Peavey or the EBMM. So I’m not going to sit and praise these guitars. I’ve played them and I would not want one. I know guys here love them, but I am not one of them. I’m usually pretty neutral on my criticism, but if you’re asking me why Ed can’t do what he wants with his guitars, I’m just saying how I feel about them strictly from a musical standpoint.

To me he’s just putting his name on anything he can think of right now, whereas in the past I think he really wanted to put out a quality product.
    Well, like you said, you dont like them, but there are a lot of players who do who would disagree with you. But I'm not really talking about it from a musical standpoint. It's perfectly fine for you to criticize the gear in that regard.

I'm talking about this idea that some seem to have that is in line with the "capitalism is evil" type of thinking. I just find it completely ridiculous.

16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

I recall Ed saying the guitar always sounded brittle to him. Am I crazy? He said that right?
    I think Dutchie is onto something, that Ed may have trashed the Bee to discourage the buying of the knockoffs of it at the time. He also seems to have done a fair bit of tinkering to that particular guitar to get it the way he wanted it. Not sure why he would take it out and play it on multiple tours if he truly disliked it as much as he claimed. He certainly had plenty of other guitars he couldve played.

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

I think he said something like that.

I seem to remember him complaining that he made the body thicker and that he was surprised that it sounded thin with the thicker body and blamed it on the Floyd Rose that he put on it.

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Default 79 Bumblebee Tribute Model

I just really feel people arenít happy with Ed the musician, so they are taking it out on Ed the guitar maker.

But for me Iíve tried to like them and I just donít. I even sat with a bunch of them at NAMM when I went in January trying to see if I could enjoy playing them and I just didnít. They just donít have the feel to me of a great instrument. And if Iím gonna spend that much money, I want to get a great instrument.

Again I know guys on here love them and just have far different opinions than me on them. They just donít do it for me. But thatís on me.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

22. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

I just really feel people aren’t happy with Ed the musician, so they are taking it out on Ed the guitar maker.

But for me I’ve tried to like them and I just don’t. I even sat with a bunch of them at NAMM when I went in January trying to see if I could enjoy playing them and I just didn’t. They just don’t have the feel to me of a great instrument. And if I’m gonna spend that much money, I want to get a great instrument.

Again I know guys on here love them and just have far different opinions than me on them. They just don’t do it for me. But that’s on me.
    Nothing wrong.with you feeling that way about instruments. We all have ones we like and dont like. Personally, I still feel Ludwigs are THE very best drums in the world, while the trendy and overpriced DW brand, which are insanely popular, are extremely OVERRATED, imo. So there ya go.

24. The Following Member Likes This Post: