Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

SAMMY HAGAR: I Will Never Tour With DAVE LEE ROTH Again - Nov. 3, 2002

Sammy Hagar, who, along with fellow ex-VAN HALEN frontman David Lee Roth, spent the summer co-headlining the laboriously titled "Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth Tour 2002: Song for Song, the Heavyweight Champs of Rock and Roll", is once again dissing Diamond Dave's oversize ego, deteriorating singing voice and vanishing hairline.

In an interview with Guitar World magazine, Hagar reflects on the experience of touring with Roth and vows never to work with him again.

"I think it was pretty good, but it could have been a heck of a lot better," Hagar said of the aforementioned tour. "Dave's an unreasonable guy. He's a not a cool guy, he's not a fun guy. He's got this persona, this image like he's Mr. Party — but the guy's Mr. Fuckin' Uptight! [laughs] I mean, you can't even imagine.

"Boy, I hate to ever say I'm sorry I did something, so I can't say I'm sorry I did it," Hagar continued. "But I certainly wouldn't do it again, let's put it like that. I spent five years of my life with the WABORITAS, building my audience, catering only to them and trying to shed myself of VAN HALEN. Not because I'm not proud of what I did with them, but I'm not in VAN HALEN anymore. It's time to move on. I thought I'd made so much headway, and then I got out there with Dave. And once I got involved with him, I realized that I was thrown right back into the VAN HALEN arena and all I was was an ex-VAN HALEN singer. The three or four thousand fans who just came to see me each night, they got it. But those seven or eight thousand fringe people that came to see the VAN HALEN singers — not David Lee Roth, because he doesn't have any fans — they didn't get it.

"The whole tour threw me right back into where I had to compete with a guy that I shouldn't have been competing with. Dave doesn't belong with me. Dave belongs on those POISON/RATT tours, which are fine, but you know what you're gettin' — you're going for this Eighties trip. And that's where Dave belongs. When you start puttin' on a platinum wig, wearing spandex bell-bottoms and singing all VAN HALEN shit, doing the classic leap off the drum riser — I mean, he was pretending he was in VAN HALEN. And I'm going, 'Oh, boy, look what I've let my manager and my agent talk me into!' [laughs] Because my first gut was, 'Nah, I don't trust this guy.' And then everybody said, 'Are you crazy? This could be the biggest tour of the summer! By the time you've finished this tour, you'll have tripled your audience!' I started thinking, 'Ah, maybe it'll be fun. Maybe Dave will be cool.' And he wasn't. [laughs] It was great for the fans, but if he'd been cooler, it would have been so much greater."

"I hit on him about [doing a duet onstage] every night for three weeks of the first leg, and he would say, 'Yeah, well, maybe tomorrow night. My throat ain't feeling so good.' I mean, I see now that he's insecure, he's not a great singer, and maybe he didn't want to stand out there and sing with me. But I wasn't about that. I was like, 'Okay, we'll do one of your songs, Dave. I don't give a shit. Let's just give these people a treat and show 'em we're together on this and it's cool, instead of making it such a WWF thing.' He just tried to lower my whole trip, you know? [laughs] Other than that, the shows were awesome."

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:18 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by FH:

But those seven or eight thousand fringe people that came to see the VAN HALEN singers — not David Lee Roth, because he doesn't have any fans — they didn't get it.
    Interesting statement from Sammy. But I do think Dave has at least a couple of fans.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

I could swear I remember Sammy saying he would do this tour again in a heartbeat a few months ago.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

hear about it later
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

everytime i read another one of these stupid hagar interviews- it just buries my van hagar collection deeper in the sand, and gives me an even more negative impression of the guy... GROW UP! - the tour's over- the trash talking should die with it... if you don't like roth and don't want to tour with him again - THEN DON'T! you're a grown up man- act like it- quit the cry-baby bullshit...

i think it was an eagle's song a while back that said it right- sam- GET OVER IT! and shut your trap...

[ November 04, 2002, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: 55starfire ]
    zach sanders<br /><br />"My boy, we are pilgrims in an unholy land"

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sam did a great job building up that hardcore audience who rushed out to buy "Not For Sale."

He is so full of shit. If the money was right he would back with Roth before you could say Wham Bam Amsterdam.

Last Online

11.18.12 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by FH:
    SAMMY HAGAR: "The whole tour threw me right back into where I had to compete with a guy that I shouldn't have been competing with. Dave doesn't belong with me. Dave belongs on those POISON/RATT tours, which are fine, but you know what you're gettin' — you're going for this Eighties trip. And that's where Dave belongs. When you start puttin' on a platinum wig, wearing spandex bell-bottoms and singing all VAN HALEN shit, doing the classic leap off the drum riser — I mean, he was pretending he was in VAN HALEN. And I'm going, 'Oh, boy, look what I've let my manager and my agent talk me into!' [laughs] Because my first gut was, 'Nah, I don't trust this guy.' And then everybody said, 'Are you crazy? This could be the biggest tour of the summer! By the time you've finished this tour, you'll have tripled your audience!' I started thinking, 'Ah, maybe it'll be fun. Maybe Dave will be cool.' And he wasn't. [laughs] It was great for the fans, but if he'd been cooler, it would have been so much greater."

Sammy talks about Dave being insecure about his voice and not singing a duet, but every friggin interview, Hagar is bashing Dave and how he shouldn't even be anywhere near the same stage HE'S playing on. WHO'S insecure??

Everytime Sam opens his mouth, I dislike him more and more.
    So, Sam . . . shut the fuck up already!! [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

RIght Now
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think Sam is being honest, which the other ex-singer couldn't begin to be, since he's not that deep. Sam is dealing with what happened this summer, and his opinion about what happened changes a little as time goes by, although I don't think he is being half as inconsistent as some Sam-bashers seem to think. Most of us begin to understand events in a wider sense as we distance ourselves from them. Sam had to deal with this destructive egomaniac, who has some talent--but is apparently impossible to deal with. Sounds like he's even begining to think it was a mistake, and maybe it was.

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just as I thought. This whole tour could have been a hellava lot bigger if Dave would have given in. It could have been a big treat for all of us, had Dave given in just a little.

Plus I condone his honesty. He could act like there nothing wrong, that despite his true feelings, the money is so good he'd do it again. Sammy isn't like that at all. He had a shitty time on this tour. He's glad the fans enjoyed it, and even though he made more money on this tour than he could have made alone, he'd rather not. He had a glimse of the REAL David Lee Roth, and much like we've all suspected, it isn't very pretty....
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

I think it was that VH1 show, Life after Van Halen that pissed him off.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

5150, Women In Love
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

As much as I like Sam, I'm getting tired of these interviews. It's time to move on bud. If you're going to be w/ VH again, fine. If not, keep touring w/ the Wabs, or do side projects like PlanetUs.

I hope he gets back w/ VH, but we all know your feelings about Dave Sam(sort of like everyone knows mine about him around here [img]smile.gif[/img] ), so enough already.

Like Austin Powers said: ZIP IT!
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED!

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Shut the fuck up already Sammy! [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Last Online

11.18.12 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by THE MARD:
    Just as I thought. This whole tour could have been a hellava lot bigger if Dave would have given in. It could have been a big treat for all of us, had Dave given in just a little.

Plus I condone his honesty. He could act like there nothing wrong, that despite his true feelings, the money is so good he'd do it again. Sammy isn't like that at all. He had a shitty time on this tour. He's glad the fans enjoyed it, and even though he made more money on this tour than he could have made alone, he'd rather not. He had a glimse of the REAL David Lee Roth, and much like we've all suspected, it isn't very pretty....
    Are you trying to say that Sammy is not in this for the money??!? The guy bitches & bitches about Eddie & Alex and you know as well as I do that if they called him, he'd be there in a heartbeat. The guy is just as much about money as he is about having fun! Don't let him fool you!

As for him being honest, he can do it tactfully, by saying that the tour wasn't what he thought it would be and Dave just wasn't fun and so forth without being a dickhead and personally attacking Dave by saying that he wears a wig, is stuck in the 80's, should be on some "has been" tour and not on the same stage as the great Sammy Hagar!!

Dave hasn't come out and said that Sammy looks like Shirley Temple in a clown outfit . . . has he?
    There is a way to be honest about his feelings of the tour without always coming off as an arrogant ass!! [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Dave said his piece on the subject after the tour on the Howard Stern show and he hasn't said anything since. I don't know if that's good or bad!?!? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

[ November 04, 2002, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: VH2001 ]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with Aftershock, I like Sam but he and Roth both need to take a big cup of shut the fuck up. 50 year old men acting like 15 year olds gets really old after a while. Sammy seems to forget that he got fired from VH for being difficult to deal with, so Dave doesn't own the market on that. Not saying that Ed and Alex are princes either. I bet that if you hung around these guys for a while the only two cool guys in the entire mess is Mike and Gary, and they unfortunately are the least important factors in getting some new VH out. It sucks!

[ November 04, 2002, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: Dave's Dradle ]

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

They are both idiots.

Bring on singer #4 or an instrumental album!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.10.08 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So everyone wants Sammy to shut up...

Why? So he will be like everyone else in the VH family... not talking at all?

Where are the DLR interviews? The Eddie interviews?

Don't shoot Sammy for answering questions that are asked of him. It's more than we getting from any of the other members, past or present.