Favorite VH Album

Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

04.06.20 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 802 Times in 511 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    The little "beep beeps" that Ed does on the guitar at :49, :52, and :55 of Loss Of Control. It always sounded to me like he was mimicking the Roadrunner's beeps that always surprised Wile E. Coyote.
    Ed's just strumming real hard on the top of little D5s there, creates a nice dissonance.

I'm super fond of that entire song.
    After listening to the isolated guitar version, I could hear Ed making all kinds of kcuf ups in that song, and figured he must have been drunk as hell when recording it, and at that moment, I started loving it even more, like the whole thing was going to spin out and crash, and go flying off a cliff, and explode in a spectacular display!!! !! ! ! !

2. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

04.07.20 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 14,941 Times in 8,152 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
    Ed's just strumming real hard on the top of little D5s there, creates a nice dissonance.

After listening to the isolated guitar version, I could hear Ed making all kinds of kcuf ups in that song, and figured he must have been drunk as hell when recording it, and at that moment, I started loving it even more, like the whole thing was going to spin out and crash, and go flying off a cliff, and explode in a spectacular display!!! !! ! ! !
    Its my favorite drum track ever by Al. Just incredible and precise flying all over the kit.

I also love his cowbell/tom fill that he does coming after the solo and Ed hits his harmonics in perfect time with Al's fill.

4. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

04.07.20 @ 07:12 PM
    Liked 18,596 Times in 9,908 Posts

Premium Member

Jan on the clarinet, and Al playing brushes for the only time on a recording for Big Bad Bill.

Still a damn shame they never played that tune live with their Pop at an LA gig in 82 or 84. Wouldve been a great surprise for the hometown crowd.
    They tried.

Pop said, "Hell no!"
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About it Later
    Last Online

07.12.19 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 25 Times in 8 Posts

Found a Hi-Def video on YouTube for the III Australia gig...updated.....Fire in the Hole...outro.....amazing.....actually the entire gig cranked during a 4th of July party....Ed's playing...the entire sound...awesome...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    They tried.

Pop said, "Hell no!"
    I know he was pretty self conscious about his playing on the track, which is too bad, since he is outstanding on it.

I always like it when Dave talks about Jan in interviews. Part of that "family" connection, rather than a friendship, that he and the Brothers have after so many years.

8. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

04.07.20 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 20,571 Times in 11,856 Posts

I know he was pretty self conscious about his playing on the track, which is too bad, since he is outstanding on it.

I always like it when Dave talks about Jan in interviews. Part of that "family" connection, rather than a friendship, that he and the Brothers have after so many years.

Dave got the idea to cover this Jack Yellen/Milton Ager song for the Diver Down album after hearing it broadcast from a Kentucky radio station one day while listening to his Walkman.

Eddie used a Gibson hollow-body on this track, and Mike used a large acoustic bass, similar to those used by Mariachi bands. Alex played drums with brushes, a jazz standard.

With Eddie and Alex Van Halen’s father Jan on clarinet—missing fingers and some teeth—a 1930s style jazz tune that was approached in typical devil-may-care spirit that turns even the fluffed notes into winners. Perhaps an example that eccentricity, with the Roth-era Van Halen, was not actually that odd.

Dave: “I think it’s a great song. And there has been this thread winding its way through all of Van Halen’s music and all of our albums since beginning with ‘Ice Cream Man’. I played acoustic guitar and songs like this for quite a while before I ever joined Van Halen. It’s music. Why do I have to bang my head to every single song on every single album? I don’t think the audience has that much lack of creativity or imagination.”

Eddie: “It was Dave’s idea to do ‘Big Bad Bill’. He bought himself one of those Sanyo Walkman-type things with the FM-AM radio, and you can record off the radio if you like something you hear. He was up in his bedroom at his father’s house and he found that if he stood in a certain spot and pointed his antenna a certain way, he picked up this weird radio station in Louisville, Kentucky. He recorded ‘Big Bad Bill’ and played it to us, and we started laughing ourselves silly and going, ‘That is bad! Let’s do it!’ Dave suggested, ‘Hey, we can get your old man to play the clarinet.’ We said, ‘sure.’

“It’s so funny, because I couldn’t play the song for you right now. I had to read because there were so many chords, I just couldn’t remember it. So here’s my father to the left of me, sitting on a chair with a music stand in front of him, and I’m sitting next to him with sheet music in a stand. Mike was there, too, playing like an acoustic guitar bass – the kind they have in Mexican restaurants where they come up, play in front of your face, and aggravate you. We had a great time. It looked like an old ’30s or ’40s session. I used some thick Gibson hollowbody with f-holes. My father hadn’t played in a long time because he had lost his left-hand middle finger about ten years ago. He was nervous, and we told him, ‘Jan, just have a good time. We make mistakes! That’s what makes it real.’ I love what he did, but he was thinking back ten years ago when he was smokin’, playing jazz and stuff. He played exactly what we wanted.”

Dave: “I think when you hear Mr. Van Halen playing, you’ll have an idea it’s a shadow of where Eddie and Alex are now. There’s a sense of humor in there, a lot of technique and a whole lot of beer!”

http://www.vhnd.com/big-bad-bill-is-sweet-william-now/

Stuff like this was part of what made them special. Fantastic tune.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

03.27.20 @ 08:33 AM
    Liked 1,291 Times in 714 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Halen View Post
    I love those parts where EVH does those guitar things like,

Eeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnn

Skkkkkooouullll rrruuuuuunnnnnnn rruuuunnnnnnnn Beeeeeeeooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnddddddd

Grrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnn qqqqqquuuuuuuuusssssssssskkkkkkkk ccccccchhhhhhhhuuuuuuunnnnnnnnn cccccccchhhhhhhhhhuuuuunnnnnn jjjjjuuuuunnnn wwwwwwwooooooooouuuuuuunnnnnnnnnndddddddd

beeeeddddeeeelllllleeeeeellllllllllleeeeeeeeelllll lllllllllllllldddddddd wwwweeeeennnnnnnnnndddddddeeeeeeeellllllllllllllle eeeeeeeeeeeeeedddd.

And all that high, fast whammy bar stuff.

HH<----- ------------------
    You are a great man, don’t forget that.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Dave got the idea to cover this Jack Yellen/Milton Ager song for the Diver Down album after hearing it broadcast from a Kentucky radio station one day while listening to his Walkman.

Eddie used a Gibson hollow-body on this track, and Mike used a large acoustic bass, similar to those used by Mariachi bands. Alex played drums with brushes, a jazz standard.

With Eddie and Alex Van Halen’s father Jan on clarinet—missing fingers and some teeth—a 1930s style jazz tune that was approached in typical devil-may-care spirit that turns even the fluffed notes into winners. Perhaps an example that eccentricity, with the Roth-era Van Halen, was not actually that odd.

Dave: “I think it’s a great song. And there has been this thread winding its way through all of Van Halen’s music and all of our albums since beginning with ‘Ice Cream Man’. I played acoustic guitar and songs like this for quite a while before I ever joined Van Halen. It’s music. Why do I have to bang my head to every single song on every single album? I don’t think the audience has that much lack of creativity or imagination.”

Eddie: “It was Dave’s idea to do ‘Big Bad Bill’. He bought himself one of those Sanyo Walkman-type things with the FM-AM radio, and you can record off the radio if you like something you hear. He was up in his bedroom at his father’s house and he found that if he stood in a certain spot and pointed his antenna a certain way, he picked up this weird radio station in Louisville, Kentucky. He recorded ‘Big Bad Bill’ and played it to us, and we started laughing ourselves silly and going, ‘That is bad! Let’s do it!’ Dave suggested, ‘Hey, we can get your old man to play the clarinet.’ We said, ‘sure.’

“It’s so funny, because I couldn’t play the song for you right now. I had to read because there were so many chords, I just couldn’t remember it. So here’s my father to the left of me, sitting on a chair with a music stand in front of him, and I’m sitting next to him with sheet music in a stand. Mike was there, too, playing like an acoustic guitar bass – the kind they have in Mexican restaurants where they come up, play in front of your face, and aggravate you. We had a great time. It looked like an old ’30s or ’40s session. I used some thick Gibson hollowbody with f-holes. My father hadn’t played in a long time because he had lost his left-hand middle finger about ten years ago. He was nervous, and we told him, ‘Jan, just have a good time. We make mistakes! That’s what makes it real.’ I love what he did, but he was thinking back ten years ago when he was smokin’, playing jazz and stuff. He played exactly what we wanted.”

Dave: “I think when you hear Mr. Van Halen playing, you’ll have an idea it’s a shadow of where Eddie and Alex are now. There’s a sense of humor in there, a lot of technique and a whole lot of beer!”

http://www.vhnd.com/big-bad-bill-is-sweet-william-now/

Stuff like this was part of what made them special. Fantastic tune.
    Yep. And its part of what set CVH apart from all their contemporaries. I almost used the word "peers" but CVH had no peers. They were always ahead of the pack.

Last Online

04.06.20 @ 05:04 PM
    Liked 249 Times in 130 Posts

I will share my favorite part of a song from each album even though I wasn't asked to. Please note that this changes every couple hours and vhlinks doesn't allow real time APIs.

VH1 - FYLT Solo
    VH2 - Light up the Sky Drum/Guitar Solo (2nd is DTNA Solo)
    WACF - Everybody Wants Some - line goes up back of her stocking through the chorus.
    FW - One Foot Out the Door outro
    DD - Little Guitars - first verse
    1984 - HFT right after What do you think the teacher's gonna look like this year?
    5150 - When ed does taps near the end of Dreams. Classic.
    OU812 - We drink Mezcal
    4UCK - Right Now Guitar Solo
    Balance - Feelin Sammy scream near end
    VH3 - Solo in That's why I love you
    DKOT - HBSD - the bark and right after. Kicks ass. (2nd goes to right after the first chorus of outta space...go listen to that)
    Right here I say....

13. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

04.01.20 @ 10:28 AM
    Liked 2,521 Times in 1,502 Posts

I recently started to appreciate Baluchitiherium, there's alot of really cool stuff going on in that song, the stomping bass is awesome.

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

04.07.20 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 13,877 Times in 7,599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post

I love Loss of Control, or Tora! Tora! - LOC

That entire thing is just thrilling to me, especially instrumentally (though i love Dave on there).

The big ending, with the swirling flange effect, i've always pictured Ed dropping to on knee,
    as soon as the feedback kicks in.

I've always had that visual since i was a kid.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Liked 26,289 Times in 14,974 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I love Loss of Control, or Tora! Tora! - LOC

That entire thing is just thrilling to me, especially instrumentally (though i love Dave on there).

The big ending, with the swirling flange effect, i've always pictured Ed dropping to on knee,
    as soon as the feedback kicks in.

I've always had that visual since i was a kid.
    I know this will not be a popular opinion on here, but I actually prefer Loss Of Control to And The Cradle Will Rock.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

04.07.20 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 13,877 Times in 7,599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    I know this will not be a popular opinion on here, but I actually prefer Loss Of Control to And The Cradle Will Rock.
    I absolutely LOVE both.

I think Cradle is so under rated, and just a killer, HEAVY mid-paced rocker.

THAT was the song that actually made me get my very first VH album.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

20. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Liked 26,289 Times in 14,974 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I absolutely LOVE both.

I think Cradle is so under rated, and just a killer, HEAVY mid-paced rocker.

THAT was the song that actually made me get my very first VH album.
    Cradle is cool, but I've always liked EWS!!, Romeo, LOC, TYWS and IASR more.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

03.27.20 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 296 Times in 173 Posts

Man - so many and so interesting to hear what triggers a lot of us on our lifetime journey with these guys:

- solo on One Foot Out The Door
    - manic double bass on Hang 'em High
    - Ed and Al on the break in the middle of Drop Dead Legs
    - Intro (tapping) to Fair Warning
    - Dave secretly (and loudly) laughing on VHII and elsewhere
    - Intro to Light Up the Skies

Too many to list!

Good question, though, thanks.
    1981 - Lexington
    1982 - Louisville
    1983 - Lexington
    1984 - Lexington and Cincinnati