Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

01.18.20 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 640 Times in 273 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Maybe they could come out with a pickup that actually resembles the pickups he had in his guitars in the early days. Like a PAF clone (although there are loads of amazing ones on the market already)

I’m digressing here but what the hell....Its funny to me when I see EVH pickups with readings of 13k and 14k, etc. Maybe they’re compensating for people not playing at the volume he used to play at, but overwinding the pickup won’t really accomplish that. They certainly lend themselves to a higher gain setup which is what he’s been using lately, so I get it.

But you’re never going to get that that close to his “brown sound” with a super hot pickup like that. Lower winds on the pickup and a really loud, ear-drum damaging amp. No gain or distortion. That will do the trick. Now, that being said you can most certainly mimic that effect by using an overdrive pedal. Gain at zero and volume at ten on the pedal should help.

Listen to 1984. The guitar isn’t distorted or even overdriven, really. It’s just the sound of an amp on the verge of blowing up its so loud. You put a super hot pickup through that rig and it would sound like white noise/snow on the tv.

There’s a video on Pete Thorn’s channel of a bunch of people at Guitcon2017 plugging into a cranked Marshall Plexi. No pedals or effects. The sound is there. It’s LOUD.

My opinion. Rant over. ��
    totally agree. 1984 is actually sort of a cleanish sound with the volume just freakin jacked to ripping loud speaker blowing levels. Very awesome sound and again your right its too bad EVH wouldnt release some sort of a PAF pup. Matter a fact my good friend Sean Christopher from Pariah pickups is the main guy that does all my EVH replica pups now because he makes not only super looking replicas to what you want he makes them sound amazing too. Kinda wish EVH would jump on that sometime too with some of their pups.

Rob

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

On Fire
    Last Online

01.17.20 @ 11:25 AM
    Liked 135 Times in 43 Posts

I'm guessing $1799 retail.. mostly because they know the "Judah" people have been making this mod to the
    guitars and reselling them for so much, and I think what they do looks cheesy, at least this looks decent.
    Curious if the back has reflectors or not, hopefully there is not a trem plate flush to the body..

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I’d guess $1499. It’s MIM, that’s the Shark price, and it’s likely the equivalent of a MIM Road Worn guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

01.19.20 @ 07:54 AM
    Liked 495 Times in 286 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    totally agree. 1984 is actually sort of a cleanish sound with the volume just freakin jacked to ripping loud speaker blowing levels. Very awesome sound and again your right its too bad EVH wouldnt release some sort of a PAF pup. Matter a fact my good friend Sean Christopher from Pariah pickups is the main guy that does all my EVH replica pups now because he makes not only super looking replicas to what you want he makes them sound amazing too. Kinda wish EVH would jump on that sometime too with some of their pups.

Rob
    Agree here as well. I've been on a bit of an AC/DC kick lately & after initially using an overdrive pedal into my JCM 800, I realized it sounds closer without the OD. My JCM has a built-in attenuator, so I just have to increase that, & turn down the master volume, & boom....instantly I have that tone, as well as a close approximation of the brown sound.

EDIT: My AC/DC guitar is a 2004 SG Standard with stock PAF-type Gibson pickups, and they are perfect for the task.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yaminub View Post
    Here's an album link for the Star and the Rasta-gangs, with little peeks of other things in the background.

https://imgur.com/a/l2pAjjq

One of these days I'm gonna make my own thread like Rob has. I've been saying that for a year now, I think. Haha
    Something else I noticed today in your pics, was that you appear to have a GW cover aged FrankenWolf….I've always loved that guitar, & it looks so much better than the Striped Series WG that's been out a couple years. Any chance you could share a pic of that one?
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

01.19.20 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 599 Times in 376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post

Rob
    I hear great things about Pariah. Arcane is another one I hear lots of good things about. Brandonwound is another. ThroBaks and ToneSpecifix are somewhat the pinnacle when it comes to PAF clones I believe. There’s definitely others.

I mean listen to Girl Gone Bad or DDL. You can hear the bloom. You can hear every string. I don’t think you can get that with the pickups in the modern EVH guitars, unfortunately.

Rob, you probably know this. What kind of output were the Peavey USA Standard Wolf pickups putting out?

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

01.18.20 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 2,648 Times in 1,127 Posts

Premium Member

Yaminub -Also - how does one of your Wolf's have a tilt-back headstock?

Rob - Any info on the Yngwie replica in your vid? Is it just a customized Fender or did someone build it from scratch?

Thanks!
    ~Eric
    Last edited by EJC; 12.13.19 at 08:03 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

01.19.20 @ 07:12 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

You can hear the bloom. You can hear every string. I don’t think you can get that with the pickups in the modern EVH guitars, unfortunately.
    Maybe not with a 5150 III amp, but I can hear every string of my Wolfgang Special through my Fender Bassbreaker 45. They're literally my favorite pickups out of everything I have.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

01.19.20 @ 07:23 PM
    Liked 1,490 Times in 905 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    I'm surprised that they didnt go with a Frankenstein pickup for this one. They really need to come up with a new pup. Maybe a 5150 era pup would be cool. I've got a bunch of guitars with Wolfgang pups in it now....
    I completely forgot about the Frankenstein pickup---I've never heard it in person though
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Dreams
    Last Online

01.19.20 @ 08:02 PM
    Liked 195 Times in 91 Posts

I put a Franky pickup in one of my guitars and it sounds incredible.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

Premium Member

I hear great things about Pariah. Arcane is another one I hear lots of good things about. Brandonwound is another. ThroBaks and ToneSpecifix are somewhat the pinnacle when it comes to PAF clones I believe. There’s definitely others.

I mean listen to Girl Gone Bad or DDL. You can hear the bloom. You can hear every string. I don’t think you can get that with the pickups in the modern EVH guitars, unfortunately.

Rob, you probably know this. What kind of output were the Peavey USA Standard Wolf pickups putting out?
    My 5150 replica has a Pariah pickup & it sounds amazing

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

01.19.20 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 599 Times in 376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danielleesale View Post
    Maybe not with a 5150 III amp, but I can hear every string of my Wolfgang Special through my Fender Bassbreaker 45. They're literally my favorite pickups out of everything I have.
    I believe it. They’re good pickups and guitars.

I just think they lend themselves to a higher gain setup, whereas at the somewhat cleaner, higher volumes he was playing at in the early days they would be a bit congested.
    Last edited by MF5150; 12.14.19 at 07:04 PM.

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

Premium Member

I believe it. They’re good pickups and guitars.

I just think they lend themselves to a higher gain setup, whereas at the somewhat cleaner, higher volumes he was playing at in the early days they would be a bit congested.
    Agreed. Mine seems made for my 5150 Combo.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

01.20.20 @ 02:04 AM
    Liked 9,244 Times in 6,652 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Friend just sent me this...

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    I believe this will be the last o9f the EVH line I purchase if its in the $1200 range...If it's to much higher then screw it...I already have so many guitars with the EVH humbucker....
    I actually sold all of my Wolfgang's and EVH striped series guitars... This ^^^ is basically the one that started my VH journey and lifelong obsession, via the Jump video... Probably going to sell for around 2K up here. I can see myself putting one on layaway...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

Yeah Sean from Pariah is great and his PUPs are really, really good and Im always amazed at how close to the real ones they are. MF5150 on the PV USAs they bridge is about 14.5K and the neck is 16. Ed has kept the specs pretty much the same since the EBMM days but he has in fact changed the types of wire used, which does affect the tone greatly.

Rob

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Yaminub -Also - how does one of your Wolf's have a tilt-back headstock?

Rob - Any info on the Yngwie replica in your vid? Is it just a customized Fender or did someone build it from scratch?

Thanks!
    ~Eric
    Hey Eric funny story about that guitar. Me being a huge EVH fan for the last 30 something years and collecting, building and painting these things for the last 24 or so, obviously the EVH guitars were always my passion but I still like and wanted a few to round out the collection so a fender strat, tele and LP were certainly ones that I wanted to have one of. But me being a cheap bastard when it comes to guitars other than EVH style haahha I ended up buying my buddies lake placid blue Mexican Fender strat about 5 or 6 years ago. The guitar was and is a great player too. So back about 2 years ago my good friend Craig Stofko CHS Custom guitars was over jamming one day and he goes, how would you like me to make that into a Yngwie strat and I was like sure thats awesome.... so he totally stripped it, repainted the body to yellow / tan (YM color), scalloped the neck, darkened the pups and knobs and put new YM logos on the HS and wow I was totally blown away. It litterally looks like the real deal. Now even though YM normally played guitars like that with maple necks he did play and have some signature models made exactly like mine with the rosewood necks so thats what I ended up going for. Came out awesome and Im glad I did it.

Rob