Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.08.19 @ 03:28 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    I don't think it's supposed to be any sort of "Re-issue". It has 2 pickups and a tone control. Just Ed probably not happy about Gibson making $$$ off his guitars' likeness. And yeah the Kramer headstock design is trademarked or whatever.... The Kramer's are more accurate, yes... that said, they all do the same thing and certainly will never be investment pieces so the spec's don't matter too much.

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-KRM-K84A-LIST
    I don't doubt that.

The EVH's (5150s) are better suited to more versatile players.

I have a problem with their marketing......or whoever is making decisions.

For example.....why are these colors and options available on the cheap guitars?

Why the limited options on wolfgang specials? Or USA's?

Who want's a candy apple red wolfgang? 5 people?

Wheres the blue/red/amber/yellow/tobacco/sunburst flame and quilt tops?

The ONLY reason I haven't bought a new one is I don't want a sparkly, off color car paint finish on a guitar.

They should have a staple colors and options and the seasonal/year variants as experiments.

Like I posted before. I want a pink or purple option Wolfgang Special. I'd buy both.
    I bought a purple Ax40. I have a red Ax40d. I have a cherry burst EVH special.

I don't want a white variation/car paint color. Give me the kind of top and color one would expect from and Eddie Van Halen guitar.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.09.19 @ 11:07 AM
    Liked 1,057 Times in 539 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_279 View Post
    I don't doubt that.

The EVH's (5150s) are better suited to more versatile players.

I have a problem with their marketing......or whoever is making decisions.

For example.....why are these colors and options available on the cheap guitars?

Why the limited options on wolfgang specials? Or USA's?

Who want's a candy apple red wolfgang? 5 people?

Wheres the blue/red/amber/yellow/tobacco/sunburst flame and quilt tops?

The ONLY reason I haven't bought a new one is I don't want a sparkly, off color car paint finish on a guitar.

They should have a staple colors and options and the seasonal/year variants as experiments.

Like I posted before. I want a pink or purple option Wolfgang Special. I'd buy both.
    I bought a purple Ax40. I have a red Ax40d. I have a cherry burst EVH special.

I don't want a white variation/car paint color. Give me the kind of top and color one would expect from and Eddie Van Halen guitar.
    I agree with you, but I don't know if there is a market for that. I don't think Fender EVH thinks there is a market for that. Especially when the Wolfgang USAs are made to order now... There doesn't seem to be a market for Mass production of them.

I'd love to see more colors on the tops. More than an Amber, tobacco, or cherry burst.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Yaminub View Post
    I agree with you, but I don't know if there is a market for that. I don't think Fender EVH thinks there is a market for that. Especially when the Wolfgang USAs are made to order now... There doesn't seem to be a market for Mass production of them.

I'd love to see more colors on the tops. More than an Amber, tobacco, or cherry burst.
    Yea, you are probably 100% correct on that.

The problem is the price point on those USA's. How many people are in market for a Wolfgang at that price?

There needs to be a USA version at the 1500 dollar range with the color options. There is such a huge gap in the models.

I understand that the options were broadened on the low end because those sell better. They are actually great guitars for the price.

I'm sure they are going through color options to experiment with what sells.
    But certain staples, regardless of guitar type, will sell.

A good looking white or cream color.
    A burst option.
    A standard color flame or quilt option.

I think it is the same deal with the Musicman Axis. They have so few color options.....sometimes changes year over year.

I'd dig a charvel style super strat with the color options, too.
    I just don't like the Kramer style guitar with that stuff. Doesn't look good to me.

And for the love of God......stop matching the headstocks to the guitar please. These guitars have always looked better with either just a straight black veneer on the headstock, or the natural wood. The natural wood looks so good on these guitars and the Axis. Please stop, Fender.

Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.09.19 @ 04:18 AM
    Liked 649 Times in 276 Posts

Ed’s EBMM and the 5150 had matching headstocks, it works on some models. It seems they are copying what Ed did with his guitar choices in the past.

I actually like the blue headstock on the 5150 Blue Deluxe I just got. Looks Great IMHO.
    Last edited by ScottyBHarris; 11.16.19 at 02:19 PM.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.09.19 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 2,296 Times in 975 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_279 View Post
    The problem is the price point on those USA's. How many people are in market for a Wolfgang at that price?

There needs to be a USA version at the 1500 dollar range with the color options. There is such a huge gap in the models.
    Bro those days are over. A standard run of the mill American Strat is around $1500 now. You aren't going to get a tricked out American made Wolfgang in that range... I think the Fender made Jackson/Charvel/EVH models are a much better bang for your buck than their American shit....

To me, there are essentially 2 types of guitars. Ones that are investment pieces, and ones that I can play the fuck out of and not worry about them at all.

I have 2 of each. A custom Carvin V that prob won't ever be worth more than the $800 I bought it for (from the parents of the deceased owner), but its custom from top to bottom, was $1500 from the Carvin direct shop - and I only use it for recording. I also have an EVH circles I found when they were discontinued for $600. Again, prob won't ever be worth more than 6 bills, but it is a discontinued model and you can't find them on ebay or reverb.

As for my players, - 2 EVH Wolf standards. One Floyd, one stoptail. Off the rack, paid less than $500 each.

I had some specials but just didn't jive with them for some reason. The cheaper standards just feel better for me for the occasional live show. As far as colors, I never gave a shit. They sound/play the same regardless of color. It's just a personal preference. That said, yeah a pink Wolf would look cool as fuck.

I think the 5150's look cool - but I just have no use one. You can only play one guitar at a time, so what is the use of having a bunch of guitars that won't ever be worth more than what I paid? I'd rather take that 1k and invest it in something that pays dividends and bring my self a few weeks closer to my retirement goal.

I do look for investment pieces on reverb. I'd snatch an older Yngwie strat in Red or blue if I could find one in mint condition. Also a Fender Tom Delonge strat. Those rarely pop up in collector condition. Maybe a Peavey Wolf someday (sold mine like an idiot!)

But back to my original point (if I had one!) yeah I miss the days of going into a guitar store and USA made Peavey Wolf's were barely over 1k. We won't ever see that again.

~E
    Last edited by EJC; 11.16.19 at 03:32 PM.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Agreed on most of it.

I like the specials. They are pretty decent quality for the price. Not super expensive relatively.
    The one I have looks so nice to me that I don't want to use it as a travel/heavy play guitar.

My point with the 1500 US thing was mostly about having a guitar option that is basically the same specs as the specials, but better tops and color options, and stainless steel frets. They don't have stainless steel frets anymore. I guess you can replace the nickel/whatever ones on them now as they wear down faster with some actual stainless steel ones. But no reason a guitar that is 1000 dollars shouldn't have stainless steel frets.

But yea....I remember when the Axis models were in the 1500-1800 range new. Now they are, what? 2300 or so?

Last Online

Premium Member

I hear you on the stainless frets. That's the one thing I really like on the Japanese Specials I had. Something about them just "feels" like a high end guitar. I've never had to re-fret any of my guitars. I bounce around a lot with my players so the frets don't really get worn too bad.

Never had an EBMM, I do remember getting a new stoptail Peavey Wolfgang Standard in translucent purple for like $950 out the door in I think 2001. Wish I still had it...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

I've spent countless hours reading forum posts that are now 20ish years old. People didn't seem to care that the EBMM and Peavey Wolfgang didn't have stainless frets back in the day... It's just something now that boosts the cost of a Wolfgang USA up. Also, the arch top (compared to the EBMM) and 5 ply binding also increase costs in labor/time/materials.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.08.19 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 1,246 Times in 759 Posts

Join my EVH Gear Fans LIVE Facebook Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/EVHGEARFANSLIVE/

My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

"Like" me on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/evhgearlive/
    http://www.facebook.com/johnnybeanetv

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Yaminub View Post
    I've spent countless hours reading forum posts that are now 20ish years old. People didn't seem to care that the EBMM and Peavey Wolfgang didn't have stainless frets back in the day... It's just something now that boosts the cost of a Wolfgang USA up. Also, the arch top (compared to the EBMM) and 5 ply binding also increase costs in labor/time/materials.
    That makes sense.
    I've been reading about some people having issues with frets that arent' stainless steel. That they get worn down faster and require fretwork more often (which I kinda take to mean you'll need work done on them like, 1 time more than stainless steel).

I'm not an expert on guitars, though. So I learn stuff like this from online and friends that haven experience with that stuff. It seems like it would make sense if the nickel and whatever other frets are made from a weaker metal. But again, I don't really know or have experience.

The only flame top they have now is the Natural one for the Specials. It would be nice to have another option for a flame top, whatever color they would choose.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.09.19 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 1,762 Times in 937 Posts

Premium Member

I think most of the online banter about stainless frets is people commenting on specs of a guitar they were never going to buy anyway. My Jap special has them and I love that guitar. My other guitars don't and I love them too.
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CalFB View Post
    I think most of the online banter about stainless frets is people commenting on specs of a guitar they were never going to buy anyway. My Jap special has them and I love that guitar. My other guitars don't and I love them too.
    Yup. Ever since people knew it was an option, anything else is inferior, even though people got by with nickel frets for decades just fine beforehand (it was just accepted you'd have to refret eventually if you play it enough).

I agree with you on the tops Tyler. I'd say they need more options but I still don't see myself spending $2000+ on a new USA Wolfgang just because it has a cool top. Reminds me...why do I have these two...

I love the Wolfgang specials. I love them so much I somehow ended up with two MIC cherry bursts.
    The camera kind of exacerbates the difference between the halves of the quilt top, especially on the hardtail. One side just has more depth to it but it isn't that noticeable until you take a camera out.

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

Love the hardtail bro. I had a Tobacco Burst MIC (see my avatar). Wish I didn't sell it!

~Eric

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.09.19 @ 04:18 AM
    Liked 649 Times in 276 Posts

Cameron Cooper chiming in on the new 5150 Guitars

21. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.09.19 @ 02:03 AM
    Liked 9,212 Times in 6,628 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    Cameron Cooper chiming in on the new 5150 Guitars

Big fan of his, and we've chatted back and forth about Eddie, and Jake E. Lee etc.
    His ad libbing on the Girl Gone Bad solo was insane! I loved his take on Sammy era riffs when he switched over to the blue burst model.

Such a great & talented player!!!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

23. The Following Member Likes This Post: