Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

01.19.20 @ 09:13 PM
    Liked 9,244 Times in 6,652 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    I've played small bar gigs using my LBX head not Mic'd with no problems whatsoever. It's plenty loud. Funny thing, you can never really tell from the advertised wattage how loud it will be. I had an 18 watt Budda amp that was as loud as my 50 watt. Currently I have a 20 watt Peavey Classic 20 head that isn't as loud as my 15 watt 5150 LBX II head. I would gig with the Peavey mic'd, but would worry about it without a mic. No worries at all with the LBX though. It will match a drummer's volume.

Well,

Let me amend that statement a little bit. If neither the drummer, bass, or guitar are mic'd, it will keep up. If you have the drums mic'd and not the guitar, it might be a little rough. I mean, you could mic the kick and the snare and run it low in the mix, but if you fully mic'd the drums, the amp may suffer a bit out front. It would really all depend on the sound guy, and if he know to bring the drums down to a sensible level.
    Thanks for the reply and details. I guess that's what I was trying to ask, yet didn't do it well. Do the LBX's need to be mic'd in a bar setting etc.
    Cheers.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

01.08.20 @ 09:47 AM
    Liked 803 Times in 389 Posts

In the small bar gigs I've played, the only mics on the stage were for bass drum and vocals. Everything else was stage volume and it sounded great.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 06:40 PM
    Liked 240 Times in 131 Posts

Mesa cab clones come in handy if you're concerned about being heard with small amps. It's like a badass DI for tube amps & recording. Pure analog too.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

01.19.20 @ 07:12 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

It's become obvious that Sammy is back in VH, and has been for some time now. Eddie had the Steinberger redone, and is ready to play "Summer Nights". DLR hinted at new music, but that will probably be with The Circle, which some might suggest he may now be fronting. And Joe Satriani's statement about Chickenfoot indicates a possible collaboration with Gary Cherone is on the way for that band.
    Last edited by danielleesale; 07.12.19 at 01:04 PM.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

01.19.20 @ 03:15 PM
    Liked 746 Times in 480 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danielleesale View Post
    It's become obvious that Sammy is back in VH, and has been for some time now. Eddie had the Steinberger redone, and is ready to play "Summer Nights". DLR hinted at new music, but that will probably be with The Circle, which some might suggest he may now be fronting. And Joe Satriani's statement about Chickenfoot indicates a possible collaboration with Gary Cherone is on the way for that band.
    That sounds like some kind of a swinging/swapping/orgy type of thing!

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

01.19.20 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 5,206 Times in 2,347 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
    That sounds like some kind of a swinging/swapping/orgy type of thing!
    Did someone call for me?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.08.19 @ 11:40 AM
    Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts

Sammy's not coming back... This is nothing more than Fender made a bunch of 5150 bodies & necks etc. They didn't sell as well as they thought and so they are painting them solid colors in hopes that people who don't want the stripes will buy one so they can clear out stock. I live in Scottsdale and know people at Fender. Trust me on this.
    Last edited by Eddie's Littler Monster; 07.14.19 at 12:43 PM.

11. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.08.19 @ 11:40 AM
    Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Alright guys. I promised my friend that I would not say anything about this until after July 1st, and it's July 2nd, so here goes.

I went into my local guitar retailer, and I'm friendly with the owners. One of the owners knows I'm a big VH fan, and he's a big Sammy fan himself. Let me preface the story by saying this: I don't know if as an owner he needed to limit what he told me, or if he honestly didn't make the connection. He may have been giving me what information he could and left it up to me to read between the lines, or he may have just been telling me what he knew. For the rest of this, I will limit my story to the facts of what was said.

So, I walk into the store and he sees me and says, "Hey, just ordered some new Pre-NAMM EVH stuff. They've got some new guitars coming and we have them on order. One of them is like the 5150 striped, but in Solid Red" and he smiled.
    I immediately asked him. "Is it solid red like bright red? With a Rosewood fretboard?".
    He looked at me and said "Yeah, I think that's right."
    I then pulled a picture up of Sammy playing his red Kramer with the Can't Drive 55 sticker on it and showed him.
    I asked him, "Does it look like that?", to which he smiled and said, "Yeah, that's what it looks like."
    I asked him, "What do you think that means? I mean, why would Eddie release a solid red Strat-Style guitar that has only been done up in stripes before, especially one so closely associated with Sammy Hagar, who isn't even in the band anymore?"
    He just said, "I don't know, that's weird." Then, he looks at one of the other owners and says, "Hey, Tom just put together that this looks like a guitar Sammy played with Van Halen. What was the name of that guitar again?"
    The other owner kind of downplayed it, and I never did get an answer to the name of the guitar.

Now, here's why this is a little unusual. Normally, they would show me a picture, or look up the name and give me more information. The other unusual thing that I thought was, "Why is he acting like he doesn't know Sammy played a Red Kramer with a Rosewood fretboard with Van Halen? He's a Sammy nut." I got the real sense that the other owner was uncomfortable with the amount of information I was given, and that they may have overstepped their bounds a bit in telling me what they did. As a courtesy, I asked, "When can I discuss this on the forums?" to which I was told, "Please don't say anything about this until after July 1st, we don't want to get in trouble."

Now, in full disclosure, there are a lot of things I don't know. I don't know if there are other solid colors available and they only ordered the Red one, or if it is a standalone model. I have not personally seen a picture of the guitar, so I don't know how accurate his assessment of the similarities to this guitar and Sammy's 55 guitar actually are. Those couple things are important to any further speculation, but, for the sake of fun, I'm going to speculate anyway.

This may be overly optimistic and is likely in the realm of fantasy, but here goes:

Let's assume that it is a standalone model. Let's also assume that it is simply a 5150 Striped Series body and neck painted bright gloss red with a rosewood fretboard with black hardware. Do you think that would be close enough to Sammy's 55 guitar to warrant some questions? Like, why the hell would Eddie do that? Does that mean something beyond a product that we should look for with the band? I think it's a valid question.

There is a distinct possibility that he may be simply releasing a new line of solid colored 5150 "Solid Series" guitars in multiple colors, but I have to wonder, why? When I think about it, I think, "Aside from some Wolfgang models, Eddie has only released guitars based on ones he actually has played. All the Striped Series stuff that is not a Wolfgang are tributes to guitars he has actually played, without exception. Why would he make a Striped Series that is not striped and include one that is more identifiable with Sammy Hagar than him?"

So, that's it. The only thing to do now is sit and wait to see what comes out.

Sammy's not coming back... This is nothing more than Fender made a bunch of 5150 bodies & necks etc. They didn't sell as well as they thought and so they are painting them solid colors in hopes that people who don't want the stripes will buy one so they can clear out stock. I live in Scottsdale and know people at Fender. Trust me on this.

13. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

01.19.20 @ 03:15 PM
    Liked 746 Times in 480 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie's Littler Monster View Post
    But what about the rosewood fretboard? (Pee Wee Herman voice)

Not to jump to conclusions here, but what the hey, why not...

With just a no 55 sticker, a swift hammer to the pickup, and maybe a Madonna headset mic,
    we'd be pretty much good to go!
    Yeeeooww....huh!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

01.19.20 @ 10:03 PM
    Liked 17,199 Times in 7,576 Posts

Default Summer NAMM 2019

Sammy doesnít even endorse Fender. He wouldnít be doing anything with them whether he was back in VH or not.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Last Online

01.19.20 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 4,621 Times in 1,745 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

This sounds most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
    But what about the rosewood fretboard? (Pee Wee Herman voice)
    Reports of the Rosewood fretboard is what made this seem fishy to me. They're using Pao Ferro on the Shark (MIK) and other MIM guitars due to CITES. Unlikely they're using rosewood on an EVH guitar soon.

Last Online

01.18.20 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 2,648 Times in 1,127 Posts

Premium Member

I've been saying they should do this for years. Hell even stripe the headstock if you want, but keep the body a solid color. Can't wait to see them!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 8,206 Times in 4,134 Posts

Donor

Nobozozs was just speculating. No harm no foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

01.19.20 @ 09:13 PM
    Liked 2,175 Times in 1,002 Posts

MSRP - $1379.30

Ebony fingerboard
    Last edited by Dutchie5150; 07.16.19 at 10:26 AM.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

20. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

01.08.20 @ 09:47 AM
    Liked 803 Times in 389 Posts

Yeah, the information I had was fairly incomplete, as I tried to make very clear in my post. I spoke to my friend recently and asked him if there was going to be multiple colors or just Red, and he stated just Red. Now, I don't know if that means that's all he's seen, or if that's all they're making.

I get it. There are so many people on the board who have started rumors about reunions over the years that it's easy to make sport of my speculation. That's ok. I understand it. However, I've tried to be careful not to make outrageous claims or pretend I know things that I really don't know. I've tried to qualify everything I've said with disclaimers so as not to mislead anyone. I was hoping that there was another dealer or someone with access to inside information that would have more detailed facts than I do that would spill the beans on what's going on.

Also, it's important to remember the context of my original post. What I knew at the time was that Sammy had announced that he was no longer going to tour after this year. There was buzz about a Mikey/VH reunion on tour this year. Dave had been talking about something coming up with the band, and the word was that it was going to involve a Stadium tour. Considering all of those rumors, when I had a pretty solid source telling me that there was going to be a solid red Kramer style guitar released under the EVH banner that is most identifiable with Sammy, it led me to speculate that it could mean something.

My line of logic was simply: They are all getting older. Van Halen tours very rarely. They were talking about a Stadium tour, which seemed ambitious considering how their last tour went. Mikey was being discussed. Sammy is done touring after this year. When I put all those things together with the information I came across, a reunion tour with both singers seemed like one possible explanation.

I would be the first to tell you, don't believe anything you hear about Van Halen until it happens. I would also say that you can't really believe anything couldn't happen with them. There was a time when nobody ever thought it was possible for Dave and Eddie to work together, or Sammy and Dave to coexist on a tour together, and those things happened.

I'm not saying, or even holding out hope that a reunion of this type will happen. I'm simply saying that given the information available at the time, it seemed like it could be possible.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.