Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

10.16.19 @ 03:38 PM
    Liked 2,868 Times in 1,479 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by RogueNT View Post
    I concur. I have a white 2009(I think?) MIJ So Cal that I paid $650 on clearance. In terms of fit, finish, craftsmanship...just quality in general...it can hang with most of the other guitars I own, some costing 4 times as much...
    Paid $700 for mine as a returned blem. With Fender hard case and the blemish(tiny dent on that back)highlighted Iíd have never noticed the blemish if not pointed out to me. StillCheap at twice the price.
    -TVH-

There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult. -Warren Buffett

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Last Online

10.07.19 @ 01:03 PM
    Liked 803 Times in 389 Posts

Alright guys. I promised my friend that I would not say anything about this until after July 1st, and it's July 2nd, so here goes.

I went into my local guitar retailer, and I'm friendly with the owners. One of the owners knows I'm a big VH fan, and he's a big Sammy fan himself. Let me preface the story by saying this: I don't know if as an owner he needed to limit what he told me, or if he honestly didn't make the connection. He may have been giving me what information he could and left it up to me to read between the lines, or he may have just been telling me what he knew. For the rest of this, I will limit my story to the facts of what was said.

So, I walk into the store and he sees me and says, "Hey, just ordered some new Pre-NAMM EVH stuff. They've got some new guitars coming and we have them on order. One of them is like the 5150 striped, but in Solid Red" and he smiled.
    I immediately asked him. "Is it solid red like bright red? With a Rosewood fretboard?".
    He looked at me and said "Yeah, I think that's right."
    I then pulled a picture up of Sammy playing his red Kramer with the Can't Drive 55 sticker on it and showed him.
    I asked him, "Does it look like that?", to which he smiled and said, "Yeah, that's what it looks like."
    I asked him, "What do you think that means? I mean, why would Eddie release a solid red Strat-Style guitar that has only been done up in stripes before, especially one so closely associated with Sammy Hagar, who isn't even in the band anymore?"
    He just said, "I don't know, that's weird." Then, he looks at one of the other owners and says, "Hey, Tom just put together that this looks like a guitar Sammy played with Van Halen. What was the name of that guitar again?"
    The other owner kind of downplayed it, and I never did get an answer to the name of the guitar.

Now, here's why this is a little unusual. Normally, they would show me a picture, or look up the name and give me more information. The other unusual thing that I thought was, "Why is he acting like he doesn't know Sammy played a Red Kramer with a Rosewood fretboard with Van Halen? He's a Sammy nut." I got the real sense that the other owner was uncomfortable with the amount of information I was given, and that they may have overstepped their bounds a bit in telling me what they did. As a courtesy, I asked, "When can I discuss this on the forums?" to which I was told, "Please don't say anything about this until after July 1st, we don't want to get in trouble."

Now, in full disclosure, there are a lot of things I don't know. I don't know if there are other solid colors available and they only ordered the Red one, or if it is a standalone model. I have not personally seen a picture of the guitar, so I don't know how accurate his assessment of the similarities to this guitar and Sammy's 55 guitar actually are. Those couple things are important to any further speculation, but, for the sake of fun, I'm going to speculate anyway.

This may be overly optimistic and is likely in the realm of fantasy, but here goes:

Let's assume that it is a standalone model. Let's also assume that it is simply a 5150 Striped Series body and neck painted bright gloss red with a rosewood fretboard with black hardware. Do you think that would be close enough to Sammy's 55 guitar to warrant some questions? Like, why the hell would Eddie do that? Does that mean something beyond a product that we should look for with the band? I think it's a valid question.

There is a distinct possibility that he may be simply releasing a new line of solid colored 5150 "Solid Series" guitars in multiple colors, but I have to wonder, why? When I think about it, I think, "Aside from some Wolfgang models, Eddie has only released guitars based on ones he actually has played. All the Striped Series stuff that is not a Wolfgang are tributes to guitars he has actually played, without exception. Why would he make a Striped Series that is not striped and include one that is more identifiable with Sammy Hagar than him?"

So, that's it. The only thing to do now is sit and wait to see what comes out.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

10.17.19 @ 06:32 PM
    Liked 16,704 Times in 8,798 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Alright guys. I promised my friend that I would not say anything about this until after July 1st, and it's July 2nd, so here goes.

I went into my local guitar retailer, and I'm friendly with the owners. One of the owners knows I'm a big VH fan, and he's a big Sammy fan himself. Let me preface the story by saying this: I don't know if as an owner he needed to limit what he told me, or if he honestly didn't make the connection. He may have been giving me what information he could and left it up to me to read between the lines, or he may have just been telling me what he knew. For the rest of this, I will limit my story to the facts of what was said.

So, I walk into the store and he sees me and says, "Hey, just ordered some new Pre-NAMM EVH stuff. They've got some new guitars coming and we have them on order. One of them is like the 5150 striped, but in Solid Red" and he smiled.
    I immediately asked him. "Is it solid red like bright red? With a Rosewood fretboard?".
    He looked at me and said "Yeah, I think that's right."
    I then pulled a picture up of Sammy playing his red Kramer with the Can't Drive 55 sticker on it and showed him.
    I asked him, "Does it look like that?", to which he smiled and said, "Yeah, that's what it looks like."
    I asked him, "What do you think that means? I mean, why would Eddie release a solid red Strat-Style guitar that has only been done up in stripes before, especially one so closely associated with Sammy Hagar, who isn't even in the band anymore?"
    He just said, "I don't know, that's weird." Then, he looks at one of the other owners and says, "Hey, Tom just put together that this looks like a guitar Sammy played with Van Halen. What was the name of that guitar again?"
    The other owner kind of downplayed it, and I never did get an answer to the name of the guitar.

Now, here's why this is a little unusual. Normally, they would show me a picture, or look up the name and give me more information. The other unusual thing that I thought was, "Why is he acting like he doesn't know Sammy played a Red Kramer with a Rosewood fretboard with Van Halen? He's a Sammy nut." I got the real sense that the other owner was uncomfortable with the amount of information I was given, and that they may have overstepped their bounds a bit in telling me what they did. As a courtesy, I asked, "When can I discuss this on the forums?" to which I was told, "Please don't say anything about this until after July 1st, we don't want to get in trouble."

Now, in full disclosure, there are a lot of things I don't know. I don't know if there are other solid colors available and they only ordered the Red one, or if it is a standalone model. I have not personally seen a picture of the guitar, so I don't know how accurate his assessment of the similarities to this guitar and Sammy's 55 guitar actually are. Those couple things are important to any further speculation, but, for the sake of fun, I'm going to speculate anyway.

This may be overly optimistic and is likely in the realm of fantasy, but here goes:

Let's assume that it is a standalone model. Let's also assume that it is simply a 5150 Striped Series body and neck painted bright gloss red with a rosewood fretboard with black hardware. Do you think that would be close enough to Sammy's 55 guitar to warrant some questions? Like, why the hell would Eddie do that? Does that mean something beyond a product that we should look for with the band? I think it's a valid question.

There is a distinct possibility that he may be simply releasing a new line of solid colored 5150 "Solid Series" guitars in multiple colors, but I have to wonder, why? When I think about it, I think, "Aside from some Wolfgang models, Eddie has only released guitars based on ones he actually has played. All the Striped Series stuff that is not a Wolfgang are tributes to guitars he has actually played, without exception. Why would he make a Striped Series that is not striped and include one that is more identifiable with Sammy Hagar than him?"

So, that's it. The only thing to do now is sit and wait to see what comes out.
    Maybe he's putting put a series of solid bodies for people that like the instrument but don't want to be accused of "pulling an Ed."

I know when I built my shitty Kramer copy back in 1995 I purposely painted it blue instead of red because I didn't want it to look exactly like Ed's.

I guess we'll see.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

10.14.19 @ 02:59 PM
    Liked 620 Times in 258 Posts

Premium Member

Interesting. If they release this guitar in more than a Red color, I hope they choose better colors than what they have on the Wolfgang offerings.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 12:05 AM
    Liked 2,090 Times in 968 Posts

I've heard there is a blue one coming too.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

10.17.19 @ 07:50 PM
    Liked 9,106 Times in 6,548 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    That sounds interesting!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 722 Times in 463 Posts

Who knows, maybe Fender already owns Gibson, LOL!

After all, it is a global economy, and it seems nothing is sacred anymore

I remember Sammy's pick-up being crooked as all hell, but other than that, very similar to the Kramers Ed was playing.
    Who cares about vendettas, it's all about the mighty buck.

I must admit, as a guitar consumer, I sometimes feel like a fool.
    Am I alone?
    Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to list...
    Last Online

10.11.19 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 348 Times in 182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    MAYBE THAT MEANS THAT WOLFIE IS PLAYING WITH SAMMY???

Sorry.... I couldn't resist the temptation to be a dick...

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

10.18.19 @ 12:28 AM
    Liked 165 Times in 70 Posts

The Kramer Baretta had the angled pickup mounting and rosewood fretboard (or whatever dark wood it was). The funny thing is that if you Google Kramer Baretta you will see a number of listings for a Kramer Baretta Special for $179.99. I'm guessing Ed isn't going to compete in that market. lol

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.14.19 @ 09:35 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Looks like a EL-34 50w combo in the background in this picture

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-f1hK8W...png&name=small

Last Online

10.17.19 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 2,056 Times in 869 Posts

I don't understand big 50w/100w tube combo amps. Major pain in the ass to ship, transport, etc. It's a thousand times easier to get to a gig (and safer for your head) with a separate head and cabinet.

~E

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    I don't understand big 50w/100w tube combo amps. Major pain in the ass to ship, transport, etc. It's a thousand times easier to get to a gig (and safer for your head) with a separate head and cabinet.

~E
    I'm totally on board with that. I used to play the Peavey 5150 Combo when I was younger. I went through various other 30 to 50 watt combos until recently. When the 15-20 watt lunchbox heads started coming out, I started using them with a 2x12, and it's much easier, and I like the sound a bit better. You have to push the power tubes to get to gig levels, which adds a better dynamic to the sound than a 50 watt amp on 2 or 3 IMO.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

10.17.19 @ 07:50 PM
    Liked 9,106 Times in 6,548 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    I'm totally on board with that. I used to play the Peavey 5150 Combo when I was younger. I went through various other 30 to 50 watt combos until recently. When the 15-20 watt lunchbox heads started coming out, I started using them with a 2x12, and it's much easier, and I like the sound a bit better. You have to push the power tubes to get to gig levels, which adds a better dynamic to the sound than a 50 watt amp on 2 or 3 IMO.
    Something I've wondered, having not tried the LBX heads; are they really loud enough in a gig situation? I'm taking about playing over a drummer and possibly another guitarist in a bar or small club. Oh, and not mic'd through a P.A.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Something I've wondered, having not tried the LBX heads; are they really loud enough in a gig situation? I'm taking about playing over a drummer and possibly another guitarist in a bar or small club. Oh, and not mic'd through a P.A.
    I've played small bar gigs using my LBX head not Mic'd with no problems whatsoever. It's plenty loud. Funny thing, you can never really tell from the advertised wattage how loud it will be. I had an 18 watt Budda amp that was as loud as my 50 watt. Currently I have a 20 watt Peavey Classic 20 head that isn't as loud as my 15 watt 5150 LBX II head. I would gig with the Peavey mic'd, but would worry about it without a mic. No worries at all with the LBX though. It will match a drummer's volume.

Well,

Let me amend that statement a little bit. If neither the drummer, bass, or guitar are mic'd, it will keep up. If you have the drums mic'd and not the guitar, it might be a little rough. I mean, you could mic the kick and the snare and run it low in the mix, but if you fully mic'd the drums, the amp may suffer a bit out front. It would really all depend on the sound guy, and if he know to bring the drums down to a sensible level.
    Last edited by nobozos; 07.03.19 at 11:31 AM.

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

09.24.19 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 239 Times in 130 Posts

If an 50W EL34 combo with power scaling comes out I'm saving for it. There's no other way to get a 1watt sound, even out of LBX (which is super loud). lol