Favorite VH Album

Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

09.15.19 @ 04:30 PM
    Liked 721 Times in 463 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    I'll say it again. EVH/FENDER IS NOT DOING ANYTHING WITH STEINBERGER/GIBSON. Believe what you want though.

~E
    I have a feeling that Fender/EVH paid Gibson a lot of money for the rights on that 5150 Kramer style guitar awhile back...
    Why not repurpose some of that investment
    Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

09.15.19 @ 04:30 PM
    Liked 721 Times in 463 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I can picture the ads in GW now...

A Hagar era model, with the headline: Mine all mine....

Or get the "Best of both worlds" with the EVH Ferrington:
    Acoustic sounds with electric playability!

This guitar was "Good Enough" for platinum sales in 1986...
    Dude!
    I missed this the other day...

You were HOT that night, well done...

Umm... do you happen to work in advertising?
    Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

09.23.19 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 9,058 Times in 6,509 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    I wouldn't automatically assume this thRead is relatEd to the threaD in the main room. I was thinKing that summeR nAmm Might havE some inteResting new stuff.
    Red Kramer?
    Umm, the 5150 is out there as is the Frankie replica. A shout out to Sammy? Are you talking about the '55' guitar or something else? Can't think what else you might be hinting at (at the moment) in terms of an EVH gear release.

I'm confused.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

09.20.19 @ 04:40 PM
    Liked 1,891 Times in 802 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
    I have a feeling that Fender/EVH paid Gibson a lot of money for the rights on that 5150 Kramer style guitar awhile back...
    Why not repurpose some of that investment
    They changed the headstock shape enough so that there was no infringement on the Kramer design.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

09.05.19 @ 10:25 AM
    Liked 804 Times in 389 Posts

Seems like a big investment to make, in order to make one guitar (5150 Striped)

I wonder if he will be doing a HFT striped, or a 1984 striped based off other hockey stick headstock designs?

After all, every strat-shaped guitar he has done under the EVH label has been a striped series based on ones that he has played.

Iím not sure if EVH bought the rights to the headstock shape, or if FMIC did. If it were FMIC, I would expect they might release a line of solid colored strats based off the 5150 striped design in solid colors under some other name. If EVH owns it, I canít imagine why he would ever release solid colored versions of the 5150 striped, since it would be the first time he would have produced a guitar that is not a tribute to one he actually played. That would be really weird.

Somebody said something about a red Kramer earlier. Now that would be interesting. Seems like a strange time to come out with a guitar under the EVH banner that is most identifiable as being played by Sammy Hagar. After all, they donít appear to be on speaking terms. If such a guitar was in development, one would have to wonder why Eddie would do that after years of only making guitars that reference to him.

Last Online

Iím not sure if EVH bought the rights to the headstock shape, or if FMIC did. If it were FMIC, I would expect they might release a line of solid colored strats based off the 5150 striped design in solid colors under some other name. If EVH owns it, I canít imagine why he would ever release solid colored versions of the 5150 striped, since it would be the first time he would have produced a guitar that is not a tribute to one he actually played. That would be really weird.
    As an actual guitar "player" and not collector - I'd welcome solid color strat designs under the EVH logo. I always thought it would be cool if maybe just the headstocks were striped or something. My thought process has been that it would severely cannibalize Fender's sales of the Charvel brand, which are essentially non-striped EVH strats, or the other way around.

I guess we will see what happens...

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

09.23.19 @ 04:35 AM
    Liked 2,866 Times in 1,479 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Summer NAMM 2019

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    As an actual guitar "player" and not collector - I'd welcome solid color strat designs under the EVH logo. I always thought it would be cool if maybe just the headstocks were striped or something. My thought process has been that it would severely cannibalize Fender's sales of the Charvel brand, which are essentially non-striped EVH strats, or the other way around.

I guess we will see what happens...
    I think the only way it hurts Charvel is if the quality and price point are on par. My 2011 MIJ San Dimas is second to none in both of those categories. It is an exceptional instrument afaic.
    -TVH-

There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult. -Warren Buffett

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Last Online

That's my point. They are both made in the same factory by essentially the same people. Fender owns/produces both EVH and Charvel guitars. The EVH Striped Series are essentially Charvels with one pickup and a fancy paint job. Charvel's have been Mexican for awhile. I think they were only produced in Japan for a year or 2 before moving to Fender Ensada Mexico factory.

~E

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

09.23.19 @ 10:16 AM
    Liked 3,687 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

Seems like a big investment to make, in order to make one guitar (5150 Striped)

I wonder if he will be doing a HFT striped, or a 1984 striped based off other hockey stick headstock designs?

After all, every strat-shaped guitar he has done under the EVH label has been a striped series based on ones that he has played.

I’m not sure if EVH bought the rights to the headstock shape, or if FMIC did. If it were FMIC, I would expect they might release a line of solid colored strats based off the 5150 striped design in solid colors under some other name. If EVH owns it, I can’t imagine why he would ever release solid colored versions of the 5150 striped, since it would be the first time he would have produced a guitar that is not a tribute to one he actually played. That would be really weird.

Somebody said something about a red Kramer earlier. Now that would be interesting. Seems like a strange time to come out with a guitar under the EVH banner that is most identifiable as being played by Sammy Hagar. After all, they don’t appear to be on speaking terms. If such a guitar was in development, one would have to wonder why Eddie would do that after years of only making guitars that reference to him.
    If it's JUST the red one, then yeah, it would be a little strange, but he could easily put out a group of EVH branded solid color guitars--one of which is red. Unless it comes with the "55" sticker, I wouldn't make much of it. He might need to come up with a different name for the "stripe series" guitars, or simply put these out under a third moniker (wolfgang, stripe, etc.). That's just my interpretation though.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

09.18.19 @ 11:22 PM
    Liked 4,106 Times in 2,566 Posts

I don't see Ed putting out somebody else's guitar.
    Solid colors makes sense, though.

Last Online

06.27.19 @ 10:15 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts

Somebody said something about a red Kramer earlier. Now that would be interesting. Seems like a strange time to come out with a guitar under the EVH banner that is most identifiable as being played by Sammy Hagar. After all, they donít appear to be on speaking terms. If such a guitar was in development, one would have to wonder why Eddie would do that after years of only making guitars that reference to him.
    I'm curious whether the the red Kramer replica has a rosewood fretboard.

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

09.23.19 @ 08:15 AM
    Liked 12,162 Times in 6,649 Posts

Oh man, i love the idea of an EVH stripe series in solid colors.
    Just a nice, hot rod, 80's based machine.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

09.23.19 @ 08:15 AM
    Liked 12,162 Times in 6,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
    Dude!
    I missed this the other day...

You were HOT that night, well done...

Umm... do you happen to work in advertising?
    I missed my calling, for sure!
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.10.19 @ 08:46 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    You started this thread saying you heard about some interesting new stuff for NAMM this summer, but now it's oh nothing much? lol I see you're still trying to get someone else to mention the big secret so you don't have to. Fair enough, but I just can't imagine anything Ed could release that would be a shout out to Sam. Unless he could release something that would be a "FU" negative type of shout out to Sam. Not sure how he could do that either- no doubt he could find a way. ha So it's likely EVH will release some new gear, but no one will come to the conclusion that it was a shout out to Sam in any way. Even if Ed did release a guitar or some other piece of gear related to the Sam era, it would be more due to recognizing Ed's career and innovations at that time. Like a detune pedal with his W/D/W sound, that sort of thing.
    Come on now, special edition Dremel Tool with a webisode using the opening to Poundcake HAS to be the answer!

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to list...
    Last Online

09.19.19 @ 10:18 PM
    Liked 348 Times in 182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    I think the only way it hurts Charvel is if the quality and price point are on par. My 2011 MIJ San Dimas is second to none in both of those categories. It is an exceptional instrument afaic.
    I concur. I have a white 2009(I think?) MIJ So Cal that I paid $650 on clearance. In terms of fit, finish, craftsmanship...just quality in general...it can hang with most of the other guitars I own, some costing 4 times as much...