Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 101718192021222330 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.20.19 @ 03:20 AM
    Liked 16,271 Times in 7,138 Posts

Default Anthony/Azoff phone call details, including canceled tour rehearsal schedule

Easy zig I was just fucking with you.

I do think though as guitar players we get very set in our beliefs too. We are stubborn.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.19.19 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 2,083 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I just listened to Crushing Day and Satch Boogie and they both still sound pretty awesome to me.
    The ascending run in the "Crushing Day" solo... damn... my left hand hurts just thinking about it...
    Little Dreamer

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

07.19.19 @ 10:15 PM
    Liked 17,362 Times in 9,807 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Surfing With The Alien is like the only instrumental guitar album I can actually listen to and enjoy. Iím just not into that stuff normally, but that album really grabs me because it has the connection to someone like me that likes normal rock songs. I donít get into stuff that is weird, and sometimes this instrumental stuff is just too weird for me. And sometimes they get very wanky, which loses me. Satch just fits what I like most in that kind of music if I had to pick one.
    I used to be into all of that stuff whether it was Jazz or rock fusion. After a while it just sounded like the same old shit to me. I loved Al Dimeola and all of those cats who used to just rip. Dimeolaís was the best because there was some beautiful music to go with the artistry. I tried listening to some of the new guys and it just sounds like the old stuff rehashed.
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

07.17.19 @ 05:46 AM
    Liked 859 Times in 491 Posts

"Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

07.19.19 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 1,702 Times in 720 Posts

Didn't know if you guys saw this anywhere, but the Prince Estate (whoever that is) is releasing some shit from his "Vault". This is pretty cool...

~E

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

07.19.19 @ 06:43 AM
    Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CalFB View Post
    I think Whitesnake is the only time that Vai was actually a hired gun type guy.
    Didnít he also work with Ozzy? Co-wrote some songs and almost toured with him?

Last Online

07.19.19 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 1,702 Times in 720 Posts

I think he helped write a few songs on Ozzmosis in 95. I could be wrong.

Last Online

07.19.19 @ 10:21 PM
    Liked 3,652 Times in 2,295 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Dude

I am not claiming to be end all be all on anything related to guitar. I simply offered my freaking opinion which includes what I listed. No Brett, I didn't graduate with a degree in music. Simply studied performing arts for trumpet and then music education for 2 years. That said I just get pissed off when somebody thinks my opinion on music is just "You Tube quarterbacking" I have at least some background in music. So when somebody like you who has zero experience with music just dismisses a comment I make, I am going to take a little offense. Another guitarist? No because chances are they are better than me.

Not that your opinion doesn't matter because that's how you feel. However don't simply dismiss people who have far more experience and knowledge than you on a particular subject as you did.
    First of all you have zero idea how much music experience I have. I have equitable amounts of music experience as anyone else on here. Second of all thereís plenty of YouTube quarterbacking in here, but I never singled you out specifically so I dunno why you would take offense at a generalization. Third, I could give a fuck whether you take offense at a generalized comment of mine. Fourth, it was just a day or two ago you freely admitted you donít care for anything Sam or Dave do outside of VH, yet then you claim youíve seen CF live. So which is it? I imagine your opinion about Satchís tone in CF is, as is frequently the case by EVH fans, probably bias.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

07.19.19 @ 11:48 AM
    Liked 6,391 Times in 3,316 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    First of all you have zero idea how much music experience I have. I have equitable amounts of music experience as anyone else on here, Second of all there’s plenty of YouTube quarterbacking in here, but I never singled you out specifically so I dunno why you would take offense at a generalization. Third, I could give a fuck whether you take offense at a generalized comment of mine. Fourth, it was just a day or two ago you freely admitted you don’t care for anything Sam or Dave do outside of VH, yet then you claim you’ve seen CF live. So which is it? I imagine your opinion about Satch’s tone in CF is, as is frequently the case by EVH fans, probably bias.
    Sorry

Just going by what a few years ago you said you didn't play an instrument. If that isn't the case and you have a lot of experience doing so, then you have my sincerest apology. Maybe I mistook you for somebody else.

I will say though that when it comes to guitar playing, I do have a bias to other people that play guitar or other instruments because I believe one has to play to gain a better understanding of it. No different than a person who dabbles with architecture, has far more of an idea than I who simply looks at a building and say "wow that is cool looking" They can review the design, understand the influences, see what is original while I simply look at it from a high level. While I certainly can appreciate a building or even a piece of art, I can't understand it as well as a builder or a painter. Yes probably flawed but I value practical experience over being a fan. So if somebody is going to discuss the merits of guitar playing to me, they better play guitar otherwise I am going to dig my heels in. Its similar to the guitarists here having a poll on who are the greatest guitarists compared to some editor at Rolling Stone who will say Kurt Cobain is better than Eddie or Satch.

Reason why I replied to you, is that I was the one who commented on the soul and Joe's rhythm playing. . You mentioned that comment and then followed by Youtube Quarterbacking. So how should I take that? A shot at somebody else? I took it at me since you were commenting on my post

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Sorry

Just going by what a few years ago you said you didn't play an instrument. If that isn't the case and you have a lot of experience doing so, then you have my sincerest apology. Maybe I mistook you for somebody else.

I will say though that when it comes to guitar playing, I do have a bias to other people that play guitar or other instruments because I believe one has to play to gain a better understanding of it. No different than a person who dabbles with architecture, has far more of an idea than I who simply looks at a building and say "wow that is cool looking" They can review the design, understand the influences, see what is original while I simply look at it from a high level. While I certainly can appreciate a building or even a piece of art, I can't understand it as well as a builder or a painter. Yes probably flawed but I value practical experience over being a fan. So if somebody is going to discuss the merits of guitar playing to me, they better play guitar otherwise I am going to dig my heels in. Its similar to the guitarists here having a poll on who are the greatest guitarists compared to some editor at Rolling Stone who will say Kurt Cobain is better than Eddie or Satch.

Reason why I replied to you, is that I was the one who commented on the soul and Joe's rhythm playing. . You mentioned that comment and then followed by Youtube Quarterbacking. So how should I take that? A shot at somebody else? I took it at me since you were commenting on my post
    Just because I don't really love Sam and Dave doesn't mean I don't go to their shows? I bought both CF disks and went to one show of theirs. I have seen Sammy solo along with Dave. I do have friends who love Sammy as much as anybody on this board so I go with them

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

07.19.19 @ 10:21 PM
    Liked 3,652 Times in 2,295 Posts

Donor

Just because I don't really love Sam and Dave doesn't mean I don't go to their shows? I bought both CF disks and went to one show of theirs. I have seen Sammy solo along with Dave. I do have friends who love Sammy as much as anybody on this board so I go with them
    Uh....You go see Sammy live outside of VH even though you donít like Sammy outside of VH? Thatís strange brew, dude, but whatever floats your boat I guess. Either way, your preferential bias might be tainting your objectivity. It happens.

I agree with your assertion that firsthand experience trumps vicarious experience of course. However, this new trend of amateur musicians slagging other amateur musicians for ratings and rankings simply to bolster a take is pretty weak sauce. There are professional engineers and producers in the industry whoíve never played a lick in their life, yet have as much ear for tone as Eddie or Satriani.

Point being, your opinion about Satchís tone is based on preference, not musical experience. Plenty of guitar players think differently than you do.

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.19.19 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 11,546 Times in 6,305 Posts

I actually think my musical taste got way worse, when i started becoming absorbed in
    playing the guitar.

I went from AC/DC, The Stones, Judas Priest & Maiden, Steely Dan, NWOBHM, Sabbath, VH, etc.
    to fucking White Lion, Dokken, basically a steady diet of Hair Metal.

I started just listening to the guitar players, instead of the band.

When i abandoned the instrument, my ears re-opened to so many cool bands outside
    the old genres, and i started listening to the whole song again.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

07.17.19 @ 05:46 AM
    Liked 859 Times in 491 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I actually think my musical taste got way worse, when i started becoming absorbed in
    playing the guitar.

I went from AC/DC, The Stones, Judas Priest & Maiden, Steely Dan, NWOBHM, Sabbath, VH, etc.
    to fucking White Lion, Dokken, basically a steady diet of Hair Metal.

I started just listening to the guitar players, instead of the band.

When i abandoned the instrument, my ears re-opened to so many cool bands outside
    the old genres, and i started listening to the whole song again.
    The Dan! 🤘

The Stones! 🤘

🤙
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Guitar initially messed with my musical likes because it removed me from jazz and classical to hair metal. However as soon as I went to college and found out that girls dug REM, Violent Femmes and 10,000 Maniacs more than VH, well I kind of shifted. Cranking Black and Blue really didn't get college girls into the rhythm as the woman Sam was screwing in the song.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

07.19.19 @ 10:46 PM
    Liked 1,649 Times in 880 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas_kudochop View Post
    Didn’t he also work with Ozzy? Co-wrote some songs and almost toured with him?
    He wrote My Little Man that ended up on Ozmosis, but Lemmy wrote the lyrics, not Ozzy. He didn't play on it and never toured etc.. It was a real short association.
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa