Register
Save
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 12:03 AM
    Liked 429 Times in 203 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by belikemike View Post
    Yes, they played Dallas. Was living in Texas at the time and saw them there. It was a shed. Think it was called the Coca-Cola Starplex or something like that at the time.

Loved this show. Also introduced me in earnest to KWS, which was another bonus.
    I was at the Dallas show as well. I think I was on the 5th row. From where I was, I didn't hear anyone complaining about who was singing. I felt Gary had won over the crowd. By 1998, Van Halen fans had been put through a lot, so for Gary to show up and get everyone on his side was impressive and took a lot of guts. I guess it also helped a little to have Eddie in top form playing out of his mind. Maybe the main draw was the fact that they played songs that fans had not heard live in well over a decade. That was a big selling point leading up to the show. Gary and Eddie played Josephina as the first song of the encore right in front of me.

In retrospect, Van Halen 3 will always be remembered as a failure by most, but the concert experience was a blast and was the only time all 3 eras of the band were given equal attention. You're never going to hear Humans Being, Romeo Delight, and Without You at the same show again. Ever. Some people will be fine with that, but I feel that its definitely an interesting piece of Van Halen history that shouldn't be forgotten.

One little random detail...I thought it was funny when Gary said, "I want to thank all of you for coming out tonight to rock n roll instead of watching some TV show." That night happened to be the series finale of Seinfeld.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

2. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 06:11 PM
    Liked 13,423 Times in 7,272 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    I was at the Dallas show as well. I think I was on the 5th row. From where I was, I didn't hear anyone complaining about who was singing. I felt Gary had won over the crowd. By 1998, Van Halen fans had been put through a lot, so for Gary to show up and get everyone on his side was impressive and took a lot of guts. I guess it also helped a little to have Eddie in top form playing out of his mind. Maybe the main draw was the fact that they played songs that fans had not heard live in well over a decade. That was a big selling point leading up to the show. Gary and Eddie played Josephina as the first song of the encore right in front of me.

In retrospect, Van Halen 3 will always be remembered as a failure by most, but the concert experience was a blast and was the only time all 3 eras of the band were given equal attention. You're never going to hear Humans Being, Romeo Delight, and Without You at the same show again. Ever. Some people will be fine with that, but I feel that its definitely an interesting piece of Van Halen history that shouldn't be forgotten.

One little random detail...I thought it was funny when Gary said, "I want to thank all of you for coming out tonight to rock n roll instead of watching some TV show." That night happened to be the series finale of Seinfeld.
    Ive said it before, but by the end of our show at The Gorge, the crowd indeed was chanting, "Gary! Gary!"

It is still one of the best VH concerts ive been to, and even my youngest sister who was always a Sam fan, said later that night that Gary was more entertaining than Sam had been at The Gorge show in 95.

It still should have been Dave in the band, but it was a fun tour no doubt.

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 2,963 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rchop84 View Post
    Did they not come to Dallas? That seems like a lifetime ago and yesterday at the same time.
    Oh yeah, saw them in Dallas a bunch too!
    It was a road trip.

HH<——- 2012, Houston and then the last show in NOLA!! Then onward to Perdido Key Fla for the beach———
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

08.16.19 @ 06:14 PM
    Liked 568 Times in 377 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by masong View Post
    Let's face it. Most of us here agree that Van Halen III was mostly garbage. I agree. However, the album IMO had a lot of great potential. If more time was taken on the album, it would've been more solid than what we ended up with.
    Over the past few weeks, I decided just for the fun of it to 're-release' the album to be better. I did my best to save the songs--remastering them, making Mike audible in the songs he's in, and similarly, try my best to bring out his backing vocals. Unfortunately, I only had the released recordings as well as the promotion disc recordings, so no multitrack to work off of. I threw out the songs that weren't redeemable and replaced them with Respect The Wind and That's Why I Love You. In addition, I shuffled around the track listing to open the album with a more high-energy song.
    I renamed the songs under the title "Neworld" and changed the artwork. The artwork isn't much but it's at least IMO better than staring at a blurry photo of Frank Richards for an hour.

Attached is a google drive link. Take it for what it is. This was just me having fun and I thought I'd share it with you guys.
    Nice post, man! The inclusion of Respect the Wind was a nice bonus there.

And differently from most of you guys here, I dig =VH= 3 a lot since day 01!!
    TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

7. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

08.17.19 @ 07:09 PM
    Liked 237 Times in 122 Posts

LOL this is great. Funny thing is I did something similar about 20 years ago. I actually minimized the intros, outros, and in some case Ed's pre-solos.

I disagree it needed more time. Needed less time, and Ted Templeman to push everyone through it. While I'm at it, it needed David Lee Roth also.
    Right here I say....

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

08.17.19 @ 07:18 PM
    Liked 3,822 Times in 2,412 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by right-here-i-say View Post
    Needed less time, and Ted Templeman to push everyone through it. While I'm at it, it needed David Lee Roth also.
    And it needed Mike.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 8,965 Times in 6,436 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Ribeiro View Post
    Nice post, man! The inclusion of Respect the Wind was a nice bonus there.

And differently from most of you guys here, I dig =VH= 3 a lot since day 01!!
    A few of us have, Simon!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 03:42 PM
    Liked 23,975 Times in 13,627 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    And it needed Mike.
    From Me Wise Magic and Can't Get This Stuff No More to VH III.

For Eddie …

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    From Me Wise Magic and Can't Get This Stuff No More to VH III.

For Eddie …

Those two tracks apparently took forever, due to Roth's vocal issues. Similar to the BOBW tracks, although that time it was due to Eddie - my hero-, before anyone gets their panties in a wad...

A full album in '96 with Dave was a pipe dream. And a tour? Forget it, as the Brothers spoke about. It wasn't in the cards. As far as a whole album for the fans?

"We did the two songs, for the fans..." - EVH.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Those two tracks apparently took forever, due to Roth's vocal issues. Similar to the BOBW tracks, although that time it was due to Eddie - my hero-, before anyone gets their panties in a wad...

A full album in '96 with Dave was a pipe dream. And a tour? Forget it, as the Brothers spoke about. It wasn't in the cards. As far as a whole album for the fans?

"We did the two songs, for the fans..." - EVH.
    The "reunion" with Roth fell apart in September 1996. VH III wasn't released until March 1998. That was plenty of time for Dave to get his voice back into shape and a real Van Halen album (as opposed to what was essentially an EVH solo album) written and recorded. There is just no positive spin to put on the way that whole thing went down. And it went down like the Hindenburg.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Premium Member

The "reunion" with Roth fell apart in September 1996. VH III wasn't released until March 1998. That was plenty of time for Dave to get his voice back into shape and a real Van Halen album (as opposed to what was essentially an EVH solo album) written and recorded. There is just no positive spin to put on the way that whole thing went down. And it went down like the Hindenburg.
    Released in 1998, yet do you know when the recording started? I honestly don't...
    Yet the way the Brothers were talking, it would've taken quite a while, something we've since been accustomed to, even if they were open to it. They weren't....

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Released in 1998, yet do you know when the recording started? I honestly don't...
    Yet the way the Brothers were talking, it would've taken quite a while, something we've since been accustomed to, even if they were open to it. They weren't....
    I'm not sure? I think the bottom line is that once they parted ways with Sammy, the brothers never should have dangled Dave to the fans unless they were going to actually bring him back. They struck lightning twice. The third time was not the charm.

19. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Premium Member

I'm not sure? I think the bottom line is that once they parted ways with Sammy, the brothers never should have dangled Dave to the fans unless they were going to actually bring him back. They struck lightning twice. The third time was not the charm.
    Fair enough.
    I don't have each interview etc. archived by date and time stamped. I just know I hated hearing Sammy was out. Was thrilled to see them onstage with Dave, and to hear those two new songs. I didn't think he was back in the back full time...

I liked Cherone from his prior work, and via the Freddy Mercury tribute show (ie: his range and talent) was excited to hear him in VH. I did not feel cheated by III. I still don't.

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 06:11 PM
    Liked 13,423 Times in 7,272 Posts

Premium Member

Lol the vocals for the BVO1 tracks took two weeks. Robbie just hates Dave and Ed was just spinning bullshit while trying to convince the world Gary was the answer. And I'm someone who enjoyed Gary's time in the band.

Who knows how long III took to record but the fact is Gary's audition was in the early fall of 96. As you said with a new album not coming until March 98, it was plenty of time for both Dave and Ed. People forget how bad Ed's hip was at tge time.

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 06:40 PM
    Liked 16,410 Times in 7,222 Posts

Default The Van Halen III that should've been

96-98 is when Ed lost his marbles. He wasn’t the same guy anymore. Resentful, bitter, and angry.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!