Register
Save
Page 1 of 30 123411 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

08.22.19 @ 02:47 PM
    Liked 178 Times in 92 Posts

Default Former VAN HALEN Members MICHAEL ANTHONY And GARY CHERONE Reunite On Stage In Boston

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/for...-boston-video/
    -
    Former VAN HALEN Members MICHAEL ANTHONY And GARY CHERONE Reunite On Stage In Boston (Video)
    May 30, 2019 1 Comments

EXTREME singer Gary Cherone joined SAMMY HAGAR & THE CIRCLE on stage this past Tuesday (May 28) at Rockland Trust Bank Pavilion in Boston, Massachusetts to perform a cover version of the LED ZEPPELIN classic "Rock And Roll".

After the concert, Sammy Hagar wrote on Instagram: "Gary Cherone and Pat from extreme came down to the show in Boston tonight jammed and showed some local love #boston #thankyou #bruins #thecircle #fullcirclejamtour #VanHalenAlumni #backstage."

THE CIRCLE bassist Michael Anthony wrote: "Thank you Boston for a great show tonight!! Great to see my brothers Gary and Pat, love you guys!!! #bostonrocks #garymyvhbrother #thecircleisrockin #spacebetween #garycherone #patbadger #sammyhagar #jasonbonham #"

VAN HALEN's third frontman, Cherone took over when Hagar left the group (or was fired, depending on whom you ask) in 1996.

Asked how it happened that he ended up lead singer of VAN HALEN, Cherone told The Washington Times in a 2016 interview: "I don't know if it was the stars aligned or I was at the right place at the right time. Our manager was also managing VAN HALEN. I got a tryout. I flew to L.A. thinking to myself, 'I'm gonna spend the weekend singing VAN HALEN songs with the band. Then coming back home to Boston with a great VAN HALEN story to tell.' That's how I approached it. I remember on the flight, Nuno [Bettencourt, EXTREME guitarist] saying, 'Why not you? Go for it.' I didn't have any expectations. By the second day, me and Eddie [Van Halen] hit it off and wrote 'Without You', the first track on the record ('Van Halen 3'). I was then asked to join the band."

Cherone also offered his theory as to why his collaboration with VAN HALEN didn't work. He said: "Looking back, if I was to do it all over again, I would have liked to tour with the band before I made the record. I think the record had some good songs on it but fell a little short production-wise. But they treated me great. It ran its course. The record didn't live up to expectations. We were starting to write the second record and things got a little dysfunctional."

Back in 2012, Cherone told Rolling Stone that it was "surreal" to walk onstage with VAN HALEN for the first time. He said: "We were in New Zealand and they were going to broadcast one of the first shows live. I got into a fight with the manager. I said, 'You're going to put this on video and I've only done three shows with this band? Let's do a video at the end of the tour so I can feel comfortable.' I remember being stressed out, but I felt comfortable. For me, all during the making of the record I couldn't wait to go on tour because that was my comfort zone. I was dying to get out there and play some new songs, play some old songs. Of course you're going to get the die-hard fans who are never going to like you no matter what you do. But most of the time, 90 precent of the audience was thrilled that I was singing the old shit. Two thirds of the set, if not more, were songs VAN HALEN fans hadn't heard in a very long time."

Eddie Van Halen told Billboard in 2015 that he definitely didn't bond with Cherone over clothing choices. "We were getting ready to go on tour, and all of a sudden I see this John Travolta outfit — these big lapels and a crazy jacket," Eddie said. "He's like, 'This is my stage outfit.' That's when I realized it wasn't going to work."
    -

Instagram video: https://www.instagram.com/p/ByDAkeKg...ource=ig_embed

2. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.22.19 @ 11:06 PM
    Liked 818 Times in 393 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by danielleesale View Post
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/for...-boston-video/
    -
    Former VAN HALEN Members MICHAEL ANTHONY And GARY CHERONE Reunite On Stage In Boston (Video)
    May 30, 2019 1 Comments

EXTREME singer Gary Cherone joined SAMMY HAGAR & THE CIRCLE on stage this past Tuesday (May 28) at Rockland Trust Bank Pavilion in Boston, Massachusetts to perform a cover version of the LED ZEPPELIN classic "Rock And Roll".

After the concert, Sammy Hagar wrote on Instagram: "Gary Cherone and Pat from extreme came down to the show in Boston tonight jammed and showed some local love #boston #thankyou #bruins #thecircle #fullcirclejamtour #VanHalenAlumni #backstage."

THE CIRCLE bassist Michael Anthony wrote: "Thank you Boston for a great show tonight!! Great to see my brothers Gary and Pat, love you guys!!! #bostonrocks #garymyvhbrother #thecircleisrockin #spacebetween #garycherone #patbadger #sammyhagar #jasonbonham #"

VAN HALEN's third frontman, Cherone took over when Hagar left the group (or was fired, depending on whom you ask) in 1996.

Asked how it happened that he ended up lead singer of VAN HALEN, Cherone told The Washington Times in a 2016 interview: "I don't know if it was the stars aligned or I was at the right place at the right time. Our manager was also managing VAN HALEN. I got a tryout. I flew to L.A. thinking to myself, 'I'm gonna spend the weekend singing VAN HALEN songs with the band. Then coming back home to Boston with a great VAN HALEN story to tell.' That's how I approached it. I remember on the flight, Nuno [Bettencourt, EXTREME guitarist] saying, 'Why not you? Go for it.' I didn't have any expectations. By the second day, me and Eddie [Van Halen] hit it off and wrote 'Without You', the first track on the record ('Van Halen 3'). I was then asked to join the band."

Cherone also offered his theory as to why his collaboration with VAN HALEN didn't work. He said: "Looking back, if I was to do it all over again, I would have liked to tour with the band before I made the record. I think the record had some good songs on it but fell a little short production-wise. But they treated me great. It ran its course. The record didn't live up to expectations. We were starting to write the second record and things got a little dysfunctional."

Back in 2012, Cherone told Rolling Stone that it was "surreal" to walk onstage with VAN HALEN for the first time. He said: "We were in New Zealand and they were going to broadcast one of the first shows live. I got into a fight with the manager. I said, 'You're going to put this on video and I've only done three shows with this band? Let's do a video at the end of the tour so I can feel comfortable.' I remember being stressed out, but I felt comfortable. For me, all during the making of the record I couldn't wait to go on tour because that was my comfort zone. I was dying to get out there and play some new songs, play some old songs. Of course you're going to get the die-hard fans who are never going to like you no matter what you do. But most of the time, 90 precent of the audience was thrilled that I was singing the old shit. Two thirds of the set, if not more, were songs VAN HALEN fans hadn't heard in a very long time."

Eddie Van Halen told Billboard in 2015 that he definitely didn't bond with Cherone over clothing choices. "We were getting ready to go on tour, and all of a sudden I see this John Travolta outfit — these big lapels and a crazy jacket," Eddie said. "He's like, 'This is my stage outfit.' That's when I realized it wasn't going to work."
    -

Instagram video: https://www.instagram.com/p/ByDAkeKg...ource=ig_embed
    Kind of made me cringe to see Eddie's comment about Gary's stage outfit. I've seen it before today but really is that the shot you take at him?
    VH RULES!
    21 Shows Attended 1993-2015

4. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

08.22.19 @ 04:59 PM
    Liked 2,372 Times in 1,256 Posts

"By the second day, me and Eddie hit it off and wrote 'Without You', the first track on the record."

And the song-writing went south from there. I thought that song was okay, that the lineup showed some promise, but everything that I heard after that was just so unappealing to me. Disappointing.
    ☩ ☩ ☩

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 02:32 AM
    Liked 26,017 Times in 13,130 Posts

Premium Member

Ed has issues man, I've just come to terms with the fact that it comes with musical genius and move on with my day.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.22.19 @ 08:46 PM
    Liked 16,114 Times in 8,467 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Ed has issues man, I've just come to terms with the fact that it comes with musical genius and move on with my day.
    We're lucky he's lasted as long as he has.

Hendrix and Morrison were also geniuses and didn't make it out of their 20s.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

08.23.19 @ 03:22 AM
    Liked 159 Times in 88 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike zack View Post
    Kind of made me cringe to see Eddie's comment about Gary's stage outfit. I've seen it before today but really is that the shot you take at him?
    On that subject, what the hell was Ed going for with his wardrobe on the 98 tour? I never understood the dress slacks he was rocking.

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

08.22.19 @ 11:02 AM
    Liked 3,649 Times in 1,806 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by mike zack View Post
    It seems strange, but considering his experience with Roth and HIS outfits, that's probably something that throws red flags to him. The dude is scarred, that's for sure.

Still, it seemed like one of those things that you can think, but probably shouldn't say, especially when Gary has said nothing but good things about his experience with the band.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.22.19 @ 11:06 PM
    Liked 818 Times in 393 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    On that subject, what the hell was Ed going for with his wardrobe on the 98 tour? I never understood the dress slacks he was rocking.
    Fingerless glove, super baggy corduroys, and super baggy pink pants as well on that tour. Hey it's all rock n roll to me but don't call out someone else.
    VH RULES!
    21 Shows Attended 1993-2015

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

05.30.19 @ 10:07 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Eddie’s comment does seem strange. They all had strange clothing choices. The Miami Vice baggy clothes, Dave wearing a jock strap on the outside, Mike had Mickey Mouse jeans, Sammy had those yellow spandex pants in 1989.

Styles change, but they have all had cringe worthy moments. We all have.

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Currently: 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Panama
    Last Online

08.05.19 @ 06:29 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Donor

I generally listen to all phases of VH at least once a week. But the past month I've been having a really hard time getting into them. I'm having feelings of frustration. They're all still alive...EVERY MEMBER OF VAN HALEN EVER!!! And we aren't getting ANY form of VH at this point. Sammy with Mike singing VH songs live? Okay...there's that but I'm talking something with Eddie and Alex. I know this is the proverbial dead horse being beaten but I'm frustrated!!! End rant.
    Thunder Mountain Brewing Company
    Owner and Brewmaster

Bottled: 2010 Imperial Bastard Stout (9.5% ABV)
    Bottled: 2011 Thunder Mountain Pale Ale (5.5% ABV)
    Fermenting: 2011 Thunder Mountain Irrish Ale (4.9% ABV)

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music. As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool." -Eddie Van Halen, 1996

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

08.20.19 @ 02:49 PM
    Liked 2,853 Times in 1,476 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I slaughtered this horse last Tuesday. I think it’s startin’to turn.
    -TVH-

There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult. -Warren Buffett

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

19. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

08.22.19 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 3,204 Times in 1,107 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I've just come to terms with the fact that it comes with musical genius and move on with my day.
    Yep. I love when he JUST talks guitar, creativity, innovation, and all the little secrets and strange details to his fretboard magic...
    "Be willing to be a beginner every single morning.”

― Meister Eckhart

Last Online

08.22.19 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 3,204 Times in 1,107 Posts

Premium Member

Rock & Roll with Sammy, Mike, Gary, and The Circle
    "Be willing to be a beginner every single morning.”

― Meister Eckhart

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.20.19 @ 07:03 AM
    Liked 92 Times in 51 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    We're lucky he's lasted as long as he has.

Hendrix and Morrison were also geniuses and didn't make it out of their 20s.
    No kidding... the lifestyle probably isn't recommended by Dr. Oz lol, but some people, for whatever reason, can keep trucking and somehow get past the close calls with only scratches.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.20.19 @ 07:03 AM
    Liked 92 Times in 51 Posts

I've wondered that too... I thought maybe like to help represent the album and a "maturing" in the music or something?