Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: EVH Rig

  1. #1
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    12.05.16
    Age
    18
    Posts
    63
    Last Online

    08.09.19 @ 10:22 AM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default EVH Rig

    [IMG]http s://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190527/c8f3cee5e9317d5824ff851f0d7dc4b8.jpg[/IMG]I decided to watch a few(hundred) videos of Ed playing live today. Im not in a band or anything and i own a EVH lll 1x12 Combo, and a little THR10X. Anyway, i was curious as to how Ed connects walls of cabinets up to just one amp head like he said he did in 2015. Can you by a pedal that runs to that many amps, or how are they wired up. Just looking for a little help wrapping my head around how it works. Especially for those that have the W/D/W setup for the “balance” sound he got.

  2. #2
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    01.22.17
    Posts
    100
    Last Online

    07.25.19 @ 02:58 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    Most of those cabs are just for show. There is a guitar world issue from 2015 that shows every connection in his live rig. The entire signal path. If I could find my copy I'd post a pic for you. You can buy this issue used on ebay.

  3. #3
    Eruption
    Join Date
    07.13.16
    Age
    55
    Location
    northern Illinois
    Posts
    1,019
    Favorite VH Album

    Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

    One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

    08.18.19 @ 07:30 PM
    Likes
    853
    Liked 715 Times in 459 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ah5150 View Post
    [IMG]http s://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190527/c8f3cee5e9317d5824ff851f0d7dc4b8.jpg[/IMG]I decided to watch a few(hundred) videos of Ed playing live today. Im not in a band or anything and i own a EVH lll 1x12 Combo, and a little THR10X. Anyway, i was curious as to how Ed connects walls of cabinets up to just one amp head like he said he did in 2015. Can you by a pedal that runs to that many amps, or how are they wired up. Just looking for a little help wrapping my head around how it works. Especially for those that have the W/D/W setup for the “balance” sound he got.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikew9788 View Post
    Most of those cabs are just for show. There is a guitar world issue from 2015 that shows every connection in his live rig. The entire signal path. If I could find my copy I'd post a pic for you. You can buy this issue used on ebay.
    Perhaps this one...

    https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/edd...s-2015-us-tour

    Basically a dry center half stack, with left and right wet half stacks, each driven by separate L & R power amps...
    1 Amp head, 2 power amps, 2 harmonizers, 3 4x12s, all the rest is for show
    Last edited by turnbuckle; 05.28.19 at 06:28 PM.
    Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !



  4. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  5. #4
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    12.05.16
    Age
    18
    Posts
    63
    Last Online

    08.09.19 @ 10:22 AM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Im really just confused about how he would plug one head into lets say 10 amps, do you run them through the pre amp out, to the return of each.

  6. #5
    Eruption
    Join Date
    07.13.16
    Age
    55
    Location
    northern Illinois
    Posts
    1,019
    Favorite VH Album

    Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

    One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

    08.18.19 @ 07:30 PM
    Likes
    853
    Liked 715 Times in 459 Posts

    Default

    He's not running 10 cabinets from one head.

    One single head has two speaker outs.
    One powers the dry (no effect) center 4x12.
    The other speaker output is stepped down to line level voltage, and split into two, Left and Right.
    (Speaker voltage is too high for any kind of effect box, that's why it's stepped down.)
    Left line goes to Left harmonizer (where it becomes wet with left effect) -> left power amp -> left 4x12.
    Right line goes to Right harmonizer (where it becomes wet with right effect) -> right power amp ->right 4x12.
    (The power amps step the wet line level signals back up to speaker voltage)

    One 5150 III head
    Two harmonizers
    Two power amps
    Three 4x12 cabinets

    Despite what is seen, Edward is only using the equivalent of 3 half stacks
    Last edited by turnbuckle; 05.28.19 at 07:30 PM.
    Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !



  7. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  8. #6
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    12.05.16
    Age
    18
    Posts
    63
    Last Online

    08.09.19 @ 10:22 AM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
    He's not running 10 cabinets from one head.

    One single head has two speaker outs.
    One powers the dry (no effect) center 4x12.
    The other speaker output is stepped down to line level voltage, and split into two, Left and Right.
    (Speaker voltage is too high for any kind of effect box, that's why it's stepped down.)
    Left line goes to Left harmonizer (where it becomes wet with left effect) -> left power amp -> left 4x12.
    Right line goes to Right harmonizer (where it becomes wet with right effect) -> right power amp ->right 4x12.
    (The power amps step the wet line level signals back up to speaker voltage)

    One 5150 III head
    Two harmonizers
    Two power amps
    Three 4x12 cabinets

    Despite what is seen, Edward is only using the equivalent of 3 half stacks
    Now how would he plug in his guitar to all 3 at the same time?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #7
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    12.05.16
    Age
    18
    Posts
    63
    Last Online

    08.09.19 @ 10:22 AM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ah5150 View Post
    Now how would he plug in his guitar to all 3 at the same time?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh and in 2015, he said he only uses 1 5150 EL34 head and then the rest is cabinets


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #8
    Forum Frontman fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    40
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    16,051
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    1,436
    Liked 7,704 Times in 3,850 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ah5150 View Post
    Now how would he plug in his guitar to all 3 at the same time?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He doesn’t. The signal is split.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #9
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    12.05.16
    Age
    18
    Posts
    63
    Last Online

    08.09.19 @ 10:22 AM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    With something like an ABY pedal? Im clueless when it comes to gear.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #10
    Eruption AFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.19.00
    Location
    Rumford, R.I. USA
    Posts
    935
    Last Online

    08.21.19 @ 05:02 PM
    Likes
    234
    Liked 427 Times in 257 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ah5150 View Post
    Oh and in 2015, he said he only uses 1 5150 EL34 head and then the rest is cabinets


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Uh. That’s not true. He still used his modified Stealth heads. Or more accurately his old 100 watt heads with Stealth mods. There may have been Stealth heads in his rack? But the numbers on the front and the way they were eq’d from what I saw said he was using his old white modified stealth spec heads. As others have stated one head. Three cabs. The EL34 head he did sound check it. I’ve never heard or seen proof it was played during a show. Ed’s been using three cabs one head since the F.U.C.K. tour.
    VH III is Ed's solo album. So everybody who keeps saying they wish he'd do one needs to stfu and listen to III. Then stfu again.

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •