Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.10.08 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Posted 10-09-02

Ex-Extreme Singer Cherone Forms Tribe Of Judah, Ponders Van Halen

Former Extreme singer Gary Cherone has returned with his new band Tribe Of Judah after three years, one album, and one tour as the frontman of Van Halen. Cherone followed in the footsteps of David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar, but Van Halen was unable to match its once-platinum sales heights with Cherone fronting the band.

These days, Cherone is happy with the completion of his new band's debut album, Exit Elvis, and he told LAUNCH has no hard feelings about his experience in Van Halen.

"Those guys were awesome. (We) did an album, did a tour, started to write stuff for the second record and I guess and due to some personal, some frustrating moments, parts on my part--this wasn't coming from the band--whether there was pressure from the label, the talk of Dave and all that stuff, it just seemed the time and place to move on. All I can say that those guys were absolutely great to me."

He told LAUNCH about the state of Van Halen since his departure, and the soap opera between Van Halen and former vocalists Roth and Hagar. "You know, I knew they were going to hook up with Dave after I split, and I don't know what came of it. But I just got a chance to meet Sammy recently, and who knows? I think that's the next step with those guys."

Cherone's Tribe Of Judah is set to release Exit Elvis on October 22 on Spitfire Records. The touring version of the band features former Godsmack drummer Tommy Stewart and former Extreme bassist Pat Badger

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Nothing like giving a starving person a whiff of steak... [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] Excuse me while I lick my chops... But what the hell does Gary know anyway????? [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

[ October 09, 2002, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:19 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    Nothing like giving a starving person a whiff of steak... [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] Excuse me while I lick my chops... But what the hell does Gary know anyway????? [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    Lets see, he hung out with Sammy & Mike for a couple night. I'm sure they talked VH and maybe something was said after a few Cabo shots that maybe shouldn't have.
    Gary left VH on very good terms. I bet when and if they tour again, he might join them on stage in BOSTON for a song or two. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Plus he knew that they were going to try it with Dave AGAIN , Now something has given him the impression that Sammy will be next. Backs up the WB wanting Dave or Sammy back theory as well. They tried with Dave and now its Sammy's turn.

[ October 09, 2002, 07:07 AM: Message edited by: Eddymon ]
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Baby steps...

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The only thing that pisses me off about a potential Sammy return is that he's too fucken afraid/intimidated/whatever to sing any CLASSIC VH other than ATBL, RWTD, Jump, and Panama. Choose some other fucken songs and RESPECT THE PAST!

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Funny everybody is talkin Van Halen... but Van Halen. You'd think the bros would speak their peice sometime...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually I was thinking the Same thing, but Sammy has stated during the Sam and Dave tour that he would have no problems singing any Roth era stuff. He said this,

"If I was willing to go out and and sing a Van Halen Dave era or even a Dave solo tune with him, at this point it has nothing to do with who wrote it as long as it is a good song and Dave wrote and sang some good songs. I am even a fan of the old stuff from when Dave was in Van Halen."
    Sammy Hagar 9/24/02 [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    What is understood, need not be discussed.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.17.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Simple,

How many Hagar songs would Roth sing if DLR joined the band today? Would he respect the past? Would he sing a Gary song? I doubt it. I agree Hagar should of performed some more Roth tunes but when Hagar sings Roth it isn't that great. When you have number 1 albums and a handful of your own solo classics it doesn't make too much sense to sing someone elses songs. They had to do Panama and Jump every show for the fans but they should of mixed up the 3rd tune from time to time.
    If you want a little peace, sometimes you got to fight
    We got to walk through the darkness
    Before we stand in the light.
    -S. Hagar

http://www.chickenfoot.us/

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

11.15.17 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know that they could get away with doing much more than 3-4 classic VH songs per set but my biggest problem is that it seemed like it was always the same damned songs. I know that Panama and Jump were big hits for the band but I would much rather hear something off of Fair Warning or something off of WACF. Variety, guys...variety.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

06.05.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Eddymon:

But he will be happy once again when he gets lost in his 5150 PLEASURE DOME and enjoying his POUNDCAKE beccause he still has his DREAMS of one day being on TOP OF THE WORLD making his music from CABO WABO to AMSTERDAM. Because RIGHT NOW, Van Halen is getting ready to kick ass again. So if you've got the FEELIN', GET UP and FINISH WHAT YA STARTED. The RUNAROUND is just about over, because when you are A.F.U. and the DLR Band is NOT ENOUGH, and when you crave those hot SUMMER NIGHTS, Van Halen will give you the BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.
    Nice! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

How many Hagar songs would Roth sing if DLR joined the band today? Would he respect the past?
    I honestly don't think I'd want to hear Dave sing a Hagar song. On the other hand hearing Hagar sing a Roth song gives the song a new twist. Bottom line is that most Hagar songs are written out of Roth's range and if they were to tour with him they should stick to new stuff written with Roth,the first 6 albums and the two Best Of toons. If they were to reunite with Hagar it would be a different story. I think that maybe Hagar would have the class to sing one Gary song also.
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nothing like giving a starving person a whiff of steak... Excuse me while I lick my chops... But what the hell does Gary know anyway?????

Ah, more than most people who post on this board.

Eruption
    Light industrial complex on Eastern Seaboard
    Last Online

06.08.07 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

foks, i think you're taking a small, off-the-cuff remark way too far.

gary, a guy who's obviously NOT a VH insider, simply said, "But I just got a chance to meet Sammy recently, and who knows? I think that's the next step with those guys."

to me, that says very little. gary is just looking at things from the obvious perspective that it didn't work out with him, and didn't work out with dave, sooooo... maybe another try with sammy?

but that's a BIG maybe. sammy's career, while not stellar, is doing just fine. he's found his niche music market, is printing money with the tequila sales and tour revenue, is writing new music and even has his hand in a little side project with Planet Us.

my instincts tell me any talk of a full blown reunion with sambo is wishful thinking. i can see him doing some impromptu jam sessions in Cabo. i can even see him returning to the studio to record some new singles for the Greatest Hits Vol II. but asking for much more than that is stretching it.

Eruption
    Light industrial complex on Eastern Seaboard
    Last Online

06.08.07 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Simple Rhyme:
    The only thing that pisses me off about a potential Sammy return is that he's too fucken afraid/intimidated/whatever to sing any CLASSIC VH other than ATBL, RWTD, Jump, and Panama. Choose some other fucken songs and RESPECT THE PAST!
    i think you're coming at this from the wrong angle, Rhymer.

when sambo was in VH, perhaps it was because he respected the past that he avoided some of the old VH classics you so deperately would like to hear.

also, understandably sambo has been cautious about doing the old VH stuff due to the inevitable direct comparisons between himself and dave. not that he was afraid to compete, but that he wanted to stand on his own music.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K (or possibly 5150)
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake (or Humans Being or Judgement Day or Seventh Seal or Good Enough or...
    Last Online

01.04.12 @ 10:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dunno why Sam didn't go for a couple more Roth era-songs live, that woulda been cool. If VHagar happens again, I hope they put stuff in from all three eras live.
    The thing is though; Sammy Can sing any Gary-tune and any Roth-tune.
    Gary can sing any Roth-tune and probably most Sammy-tunes. Roth can barely sing the Roth-tunes.
    So for The Best Of All Three Worlds, vote for Sammy!