Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 220
  1. #46
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.04.15
    Posts
    2,321
    Favorite VH Album

    1
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm the One
    Last Online

    07.22.19 @ 03:26 PM
    Likes
    1,426
    Liked 2,535 Times in 1,207 Posts

    Default

    The sad part to me is not that they don't know who he is. It's that they do.

    Their faces looked more like 'why in the world' then 'how in the world' -- which sucks for Dave

    But what should really piss Dave off is that they were playing Van Halen music. Which means the music does translate to dumbfuck millennials. It's still relevant enough to reach them. The band? Long, long gone. These guys are not impressed to see some old guy who sang those songs 30 years ago. The legacy is rotted and still rotting, and it's Van Halen's fault.

    I mean, the band's web site literally hasn't been touched since the people in that hotel room were maybe in middle school. These guys still don't get what this type of inactivity does to their legacy. And I don't know that they could change these kids but there are a ton of 40+ yr olds that don't care anymore either.

    And it's not that Ed is retired. Just wait, because next year Ed is going to knock on America's door and announce that VH is touring, and we'll be that one guy in the white t-shirt who got sort of excited and told the people on the balcony to come over. The rest of the world will be the guy who answered the door.

  2. #47
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    08.23.11
    Age
    51
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,975
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

    07.23.19 @ 04:44 AM
    Likes
    3,934
    Liked 3,825 Times in 1,930 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRFC View Post
    The sad part to me is not that they don't know who he is. It's that they do.

    Their faces looked more like 'why in the world' then 'how in the world' -- which sucks for Dave

    But what should really piss Dave off is that they were playing Van Halen music. Which means the music does translate to dumbfuck millennials. It's still relevant enough to reach them. The band? Long, long gone. These guys are not impressed to see some old guy who sang those songs 30 years ago. The legacy is rotted and still rotting, and it's Van Halen's fault.

    I mean, the band's web site literally hasn't been touched since the people in that hotel room were maybe in middle school. These guys still don't get what this type of inactivity does to their legacy. And I don't know that they could change these kids but there are a ton of 40+ yr olds that don't care anymore either.

    And it's not that Ed is retired. Just wait, because next year Ed is going to knock on America's door and announce that VH is touring, and we'll be that one guy in the white t-shirt who got sort of excited and told the people on the balcony to come over. The rest of the world will be the guy who answered the door.
    I agree, which is why (for multiple reasons) I think the whole idea that they need to disappear for several years at a time to help maintain or increase demand is absurd. Millennials' attention span is almost non-existent but even people well into their 40s or older now expect a constant flow of stuff to keep them engaged. 4 years is a lifetime. I know it's not a competition and VH can and absolutely should do things as they want to but I just think the idea that "they'll say something when there's something to say" is utterly backwards in the modern world. Rush has been retired for 4 years and their official website has been updated 4 times since the beginning of April and the affiliated Rush Blog (the equivalent of the VHND) is updated multiple times a week and they've got new stuff coming out constantly. It's like the old joke about being outworked by a dead man.

  3. #48
    Unchained VH1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.05.19
    Posts
    448
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Love Walks In
    Last Online

    07.22.19 @ 07:49 PM
    Likes
    557
    Liked 226 Times in 148 Posts

    Default

    I applaud Dave for putting himself out in the public eye, but those guys had no clue who was knocking on their door from the time they opened it until the moment Dave walked away. If Dave wants to take up residency in Vegas to allow all us aging farts to wax nostalgic, then I say more power to him, but neither he nor any of Van Halen's members, past or present, is going to resonate with younger people on any significant scale.

  4. #49
    Good Enough Pacfanweb's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.04.02
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    2,242
    Favorite VH Album

    ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Outta Space
    Last Online

    07.23.19 @ 05:55 AM
    Likes
    91
    Liked 897 Times in 481 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    You put into words, what was in my head: it's as if Dave's not comfortable in his own skin. It comes across as being weird.

    I recently saw some footage from a few years ago; Dave gestured towards one of the concert goers, and cracked a joke about sleeping with her. Her reaction was something akin to: "You're a nasty, dirty, old man."

    None of us are happy about getting older, but in attitude, Dave isn't aging gracefully.
    Yeah, this about describes it like I'm seeing it.

    Dude won't accept it, and he keeps trying to act like he's not old now....and it comes off worse than just being old.

    Seriously, a mid-60's guy showing up at raves, and is all into EDM now? He has "dance moves he's practiced 2 years"? (remember that line?) Getting his entire torso inked up at his age?

    The man is seriously detached from reality, I'm afraid. Which was always kind of cool back in the day, but damn if it isn't sad now.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

  5. #50
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    26,985
    Last Online

    07.23.19 @ 12:49 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3,661 Times in 2,302 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Lol, this whole “hiatus generates interest” theory has never held water. VH does NOT have any sort of long term plan. It’s a year by year consideration, has been since ‘95. They are not inactive because of some grand scheme to come back roaring, they are inactive because they’re done, excepting the occasional nostalgia run to juice the nest eggs. And even that might be over now.

  6. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  7. #51
    Hang 'Em High noise next door's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.03.03
    Posts
    5,608
    Last Online

    07.15.19 @ 06:21 PM
    Likes
    933
    Liked 3,331 Times in 1,754 Posts

    Default

    The ironic thing is, if they each pocket $2 million each working/functioning only 4 months every 3/4 years they are more successful than 99.9999999999% of the entire "working musician" music industry... that slaves 24/7/365 just to BARELY SURVIVE.

    The fact they have built legendary status allows this very unusual profit level to happen now (they are the 13th biggest rock band in the history of the music industry).

    Add to that... Ed makes minimum $1-2 million a year with EVH gear.

  8. #52
    Atomic Punk TheresOnlyOneWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.13.04
    Location
    Avengers Tower
    Posts
    12,836
    Favorite VH Album

    Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

    Different Devil
    Last Online

    07.18.19 @ 01:33 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 1,038 Times in 649 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    No set up at all. I know z-list has-been "singers" walk around with boom mikes all the time.
    Last edited by TheresOnlyOneWay; 05.28.19 at 09:59 AM.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

    Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

    A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

    Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

  9. #53
    Good Enough Pacfanweb's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.04.02
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    2,242
    Favorite VH Album

    ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Outta Space
    Last Online

    07.23.19 @ 05:55 AM
    Likes
    91
    Liked 897 Times in 481 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Lol, this whole “hiatus generates interest” theory has never held water. VH does NOT have any sort of long term plan. It’s a year by year consideration, has been since ‘95. They are not inactive because of some grand scheme to come back roaring, they are inactive because they’re done, excepting the occasional nostalgia run to juice the nest eggs. And even that might be over now.
    All true. The whole "leave 'em wanting more" is BS. Journey, Def Leppard, Chicago, KISS, Aerosmith, etc....they all tour nearly every year.

    And none of them have ever been bigger, draw-wise.

    I just saw Bob Seger and Grand Funk last week. Same venue VH/KWS played in 2015, both on a weeknight/school night.
    The VH show wasn't 2/3, maybe 3/4 sold out. We got free upgrades from lawn to seats. Loads of people did.

    Bob Seger wasn't sold out, but he wasn't far from it. He's been back touring for awhile and still bringing them in.

    I would say that if you come around every year or so and put on a great show, word will get around and more people will come see you next time. You get a reputation for such things. "Leaving them wanting more" doesn't work like that.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

  10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  11. #54
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    26,985
    Last Online

    07.23.19 @ 12:49 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3,661 Times in 2,302 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    All true. The whole "leave 'em wanting more" is BS. Journey, Def Leppard, Chicago, KISS, Aerosmith, etc....they all tour nearly every year.

    And none of them have ever been bigger, draw-wise.

    I just saw Bob Seger and Grand Funk last week. Same venue VH/KWS played in 2015, both on a weeknight/school night.
    The VH show wasn't 2/3, maybe 3/4 sold out. We got free upgrades from lawn to seats. Loads of people did.

    Bob Seger wasn't sold out, but he wasn't far from it. He's been back touring for awhile and still bringing them in.

    I would say that if you come around every year or so and put on a great show, word will get around and more people will come see you next time. You get a reputation for such things. "Leaving them wanting more" doesn't work like that.
    Precisely.

  12. #55
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    40,748
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    07.23.19 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    2,256
    Liked 11,005 Times in 6,162 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    All true. The whole "leave 'em wanting more" is BS. Journey, Def Leppard, Chicago, KISS, Aerosmith, etc....they all tour nearly every year.

    And none of them have ever been bigger, draw-wise.

    I just saw Bob Seger and Grand Funk last week. Same venue VH/KWS played in 2015, both on a weeknight/school night.
    The VH show wasn't 2/3, maybe 3/4 sold out. We got free upgrades from lawn to seats. Loads of people did.

    Bob Seger wasn't sold out, but he wasn't far from it. He's been back touring for awhile and still bringing them in.

    I would say that if you come around every year or so and put on a great show, word will get around and more people will come see you next time. You get a reputation for such things. "Leaving them wanting more" doesn't work like that.
    It can work. If a band is gone for a long stretch and then return it can lead to a one shot big tour of nostalgia. But that works once. Not once every 4 years.

  13. #56
    Good Enough Pacfanweb's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.04.02
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    2,242
    Favorite VH Album

    ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Outta Space
    Last Online

    07.23.19 @ 05:55 AM
    Likes
    91
    Liked 897 Times in 481 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    It can work. If a band is gone for a long stretch and then return it can lead to a one shot big tour of nostalgia. But that works once. Not once every 4 years.
    Correct. Once you "come back", you need to 'stay' back. VH got their big payoff in 2007-08. It's been slowly, but steadily downhill since.
    And I'd say it's due to the inactivity as much as it is to the shocking decline in Roth's performances. Although he is a big part of it, IMO, especially after that last tour. Reviews were not kind.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

  14. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  15. #57
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    26,985
    Last Online

    07.23.19 @ 12:49 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3,661 Times in 2,302 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    Correct. Once you "come back", you need to 'stay' back. VH got their big payoff in 2007-08. It's been slowly, but steadily downhill since.
    And I'd say it's due to the inactivity as much as it is to the shocking decline in Roth's performances. Although he is a big part of it, IMO, especially after that last tour. Reviews were not kind.
    Yep. Word's out. It is what it is.

    If they wanted to keep a fire going, they had to tend it. That's just how it goes.

  16. #58
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    48
    Location
    P.F. Chang, South Korea
    Posts
    46,757
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    07.23.19 @ 03:09 AM
    Likes
    5,167
    Liked 25,645 Times in 12,945 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    The band had some decent momentum after ADKOT and the following tour. Then seven years later...pfft.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

  17. #59
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    40,903
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    07.22.19 @ 06:54 PM
    Likes
    18,075
    Liked 23,755 Times in 13,499 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    90% of life is just showing up. Nobody has ever accused Ed & Al of being mathemagicians.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  18. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  19. #60
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    20,244
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama
    Last Online

    07.23.19 @ 03:32 AM
    Likes
    7,816
    Liked 8,929 Times in 6,412 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Loving some of these comments and observations, yet don't want to 'like' every post....
    I will say (and mirror another post) that Dave isn't aging gracefully! The voice, the attire, the long lost 'swagger', etc.

    I hope Van Halen aren't done, yet I hope they are done with Roth, unless a joint tour with you-know-who and you-know-who is on the horizon.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  20. The Following Member Likes This Post:


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. If The Front Desk Calls Your Hotel Room, Telling You To Wreck The Place...Don't!
    By chefcraig in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07.14.09, 05:28 AM
  2. Brazilian World Cup star Ronaldo takes three prostitutes to his hotel room...
    By leroy in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04.29.08, 09:25 AM
  3. Ricin found in Vegas hotel room
    By sisca in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02.29.08, 05:21 PM
  4. This morning in Gary Cherone's Hotel room!
    By Alexander Mogilny in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02.04.02, 06:17 PM
  5. Roth smirks as he exits Hotel, 10/18/00
    By Timothy B Schmidt in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10.23.00, 06:03 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •