Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415
    Last Online

09.23.19 @ 12:14 AM
    Liked 4,047 Times in 2,568 Posts

Donor

Nobody outside of this board cares which singer is singing for VH.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

09.21.19 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 922 Times in 491 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    I don't know about "doesn't care", but "doesn't know" certainly is real.

I can tell you for a fact there are tons of people who ask is Sammy still singing for them each time they announce a new tour. Or "Is Roth back?", even though he's been back since 07.

The average fan has no clue of any of this stuff we talk about here.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

09.23.19 @ 12:33 AM
    Liked 9,058 Times in 6,509 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post

I can tell you for a fact there are tons of people who ask is Sammy still singing for them each time they announce a new tour. Or "Is Roth back?", even though he's been back since 07.

Agreed.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post

Exactly. Doesn't know and doesn't care are fairly interchangeable regarding VH at this point in history lol.

I would safely wager over 90% of the mainstream concert going populace never even knew VH had a third lead singer for a year in '98.

Equating what we talk about here to the general public is not wise. We are the (less than) one percent.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

09.13.19 @ 01:23 AM
    Liked 3,867 Times in 1,954 Posts

That's all very true, but it's not a VH thing, it's all music. The gap between people like us who actually follow things and the average fan is a yawning chasm.

I can't count the number of times I've heard things like "Van Halen? Are they the ones that do that song Jump? Oh yeah, I love them!"

They "love" them. They don't know who is in the band and can't name an album and wouldn't recognize them if they saw them....

Again, it's not just Van Halen. It's the same with all bands. If you're a "fan" of a band, any band, and can even name 10 songs or 2 albums or any two members of the band you're already in the top 5% of knowledgeable fans. I'm not saying that to be snobby, but people like us who care about who produced what album and which amp was used on which song and who care and know about lineup changes and such are the extreme of the extreme of the extreme. It's important to remember that when people say things like "They should drop Jump and Pretty Woman." 98% of the people in the crowd would be pissed off. We are the weirdos, I accept that...

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    That's all very true, but it's not a VH thing, it's all music. The gap between people like us who actually follow things and the average fan is a yawning chasm.

I can't count the number of times I've heard things like "Van Halen? Are they the ones that do that song Jump? Oh yeah, I love them!"

They "love" them. They don't know who is in the band and can't name an album and wouldn't recognize them if they saw them....

Again, it's not just Van Halen. It's the same with all bands. If you're a "fan" of a band, any band, and can even name 10 songs or 2 albums or any two members of the band you're already in the top 5% of knowledgeable fans. I'm not saying that to be snobby, but people like us who care about who produced what album and which amp was used on which song and who care and know about lineup changes and such are the extreme of the extreme of the extreme. It's important to remember that when people say things like "They should drop Jump and Pretty Woman." 98% of the people in the crowd would be pissed off. We are the weirdos, I accept that...
    It's certainly true that there are music aficionados and there's folks who just turn on the radio sometimes.

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

09.23.19 @ 02:54 AM
    Liked 1,853 Times in 1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Again, it's not just Van Halen. It's the same with all bands. If you're a "fan" of a band, any band, and can even name 10 songs or 2 albums or any two members of the band you're already in the top 5% of knowledgeable fans. I'm not saying that to be snobby, but people like us who care about who produced what album and which amp was used on which song and who care and know about lineup changes and such are the extreme of the extreme of the extreme.
    Yep. When I was in high school I was trying to get a girl into classic rock, and was telling her that bands back then were real artists. She said, "The primary purpose of music is for dancing." I'd never heard anything so ludicrous!

Time has proven more people see it her way than my way. People just want to hear a big, throbbing noise they can bounce around to, and they don't care if it comes from a Marshall stack or a Mac. It has no meaning, like a moonwalk at a carnival.

I always loved reading the magazines to find out where bands came from and how they made it. Today I read everyone's Wikipedia. I'm sure most people don't care one iota.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

09.23.19 @ 12:33 AM
    Liked 9,058 Times in 6,509 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    Yep. When I was in high school I was trying to get a girl into classic rock, and was telling her that bands back then were real artists. She said, "The primary purpose of music is for dancing." I'd never heard anything so ludicrous!

Time has proven more people see it her way than my way. People just want to hear a big, throbbing noise they can bounce around to, and they don't care if it comes from a Marshall stack or a Mac. It has no meaning, like a moonwalk at a carnival.

I always loved reading the magazines to find out where bands came from and how they made it. Today I read everyone's Wikipedia. I'm sure most people don't care one iota.
    From playing the bars etc., I met a lot of waitresses and bartenders. Dated a few actually, and truth be told, I'm sort of casually going after one right now...

One of my exes was hard core into dance music and the electronica scene; the polar opposite of what I like to hear... Getting to her ^^į "dancing" comment, I tried to explain why I thought Bon Jovi were the rock equivalent of that - fairly universal, memorable choruses, music you can dance to, etc.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

09.22.19 @ 06:51 PM
    Liked 12,159 Times in 6,646 Posts

Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

09.22.19 @ 06:51 PM
    Liked 12,159 Times in 6,646 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post

"From Marshall to Mac: The evolution of Guitar Tone"
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...