Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.25.19 @ 02:58 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts

Default Wolf signature with wrong fingerboard, what would you do?

My new Wolfgang signature USA in ivory white has dot inlays and not the block inlays it should. Would you keep it or exchange it for one that is correct. It might be a one of a kind. That also might not matter to anybody. If I can post a pic I will.evh gear was stunned when they checked the serial number it should have block Inlays. Zzounds will exchange it if I want. The guitar is awesome but I think I want the correct one.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Wolfgang signature USA with wrong fingerboard https://imgur.com/gallery/SFJgRs8

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.19.19 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts

FWIW, I love it! My least favorite thing about the EVH USA wolfgangs (aside from the horrible color/finish selection) is the block inlays. I think the dots look so much much better!

As far as resale, it could be help or hurt. On one end, being basically a one-of-a-kind mistake could increase its value a lot. On the other hand, someone might look at it and think it is modified, or a fake somehow. If you do keep it with the dots, I would definitely get some kind of documentation from Fender that you can show off/include if you do decide to sell it.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Love Walks In
    Last Online

09.13.19 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 260 Times in 175 Posts

While either is cool, I advise that you make the decision that allows you to lay your head on the pillow and sleep well.

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

09.14.19 @ 07:10 PM
    Liked 4,477 Times in 1,696 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'd consider that a win, I prefer dots over blocks. If it feels, plays and sounds good I would keep it.

I haven't seen this exact variation, but I have seen Stealths that shipped with block inlays and striped specials that have shipped with zebra pups. Little switcheroos in the factory.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

I have the documentation from fender. I'm usually food at figuring out what to do but this one is really tough.been thinking on it for three days. I'm never going to sell the guitar so collectors value Isn't really a factor. I really did want the same one that Eddie plays. The thing giving me pause is this guitar is really great. The neck, the action, and the resonance when it is unplugged is one of the nicest guitars I've ever played and I have a lot of nice guitars. I'm leaning on sending it back, but a part of me wants to keep it because it is special.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Jedi, the thing giving me the most pause is just how great this particular guitar is. I worry the next one might not be as resonant, and with as perfect a neck, but the USA models usually are real nice. But in short it is one of the best guitars I've ever held or played, unplugged or plugged in.that is very interesting that you have seen the same switcheroo with the stealth model. Very interesting indeed

Last Online

09.14.19 @ 10:14 AM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 781 Posts

Well Eddie doesn't really play anything anymore. I think the guitar looks cool with the dots. I'm not a big inlay guy. If the guitar is great otherwise, I'd probably hold onto it. Factory guitars are sooo hit and miss. I think I went through 4 or 5 Standards, and Specials until I found the one that was perfect for me. Good luck!

~E

11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

09.14.19 @ 05:25 PM
    Liked 182 Times in 94 Posts

If it were me I'd keep it. In fact, if the quality is like you say it is, I would hold onto it for dear life

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

09.14.19 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 719 Times in 462 Posts

Maybe Zzounds can get you just the proper neck, at a decent price of course, then you're covered both ways.

Keep in mind, a block inlay fretboard has more wood removed than a dot fretboard, and if you love it's resonance as is, you may jeopardize that by changing the neck.
    Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

09.14.19 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 1,336 Times in 829 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Mikew9788 View Post
    Jedi, the thing giving me the most pause is just how great this particular guitar is. I worry the next one might not be as resonant, and with as perfect a neck, but the USA models usually are real nice. But in short it is one of the best guitars I've ever held or played, unplugged or plugged in.that is very interesting that you have seen the same switcheroo with the stealth model. Very interesting indeed
    Keep it
    I have a USA Grey Stealth with blocks. I really don't care for it. Something about it....IDK...
    If you are happy with it...fucking keep it...no exceptions
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Love Walks In
    Last Online

09.13.19 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 260 Times in 175 Posts

Mike, I am going to weigh in once more. Based on your own words, I think you have bonded with this guitar. Don't send it back. As soon as you send it back, you will miss it. While I understand wanting to have the one Ed played, just remember that Ed never seemed to go with the conventional. This guitar seems made just for you. Personally, I prefer dots to blocks. Blocks have never fit Ed in my opinion.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

09.14.19 @ 07:22 PM
    Liked 1,177 Times in 722 Posts

Id keep it.
    Join my EVH Gear Fans LIVE Facebook Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/EVHGEARFANSLIVE/

My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

"Like" me on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/evhgearlive/
    http://www.facebook.com/johnnybeanetv

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

09.14.19 @ 09:34 PM
    Liked 2,067 Times in 961 Posts

I'd keep it too. You can always pick up another one (2nd hand) down the road if you want one with the blocks. If you have the right documentation from Fender, this will be a rare one.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Thanks for all your help guys. I knew this was the place to come. I will keep this guitar. My biggest worry is the replacement will not be as good. I like the block inlays but it is an interesting point that there is more wood removed for them. I do feel this guitar was destined to be mine. Dumb shit like this happens to me all the time. Funny thing is it took me until the second night to notice it.

21. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: