Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 41 of 41
  1. #31
    Atomic Punk Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    47
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    10,496
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    11.15.19 @ 06:55 AM
    Likes
    2,379
    Liked 2,320 Times in 1,303 Posts

    Default

    I remember digging the "Paint It Red On Black" part.
    Little Dreamer

  2. #32
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    42,114
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    11.16.19 @ 03:45 PM
    Likes
    18,942
    Liked 24,641 Times in 13,998 Posts

    Default

    I remember not digging anything about those 3 songs.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  3. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  4. #33
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    28,283
    Last Online

    10.22.19 @ 11:45 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 4,215 Times in 2,683 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    As always, new tunes from Eddie, upon first arrival, almost always sound like the next coming of the White Album.

    In '96, the first collabs from Dave and Ed since '84 with MWM and CGTSNM were received as they still pretty much are. Mostly for the promise of an album and tour. We all know how that went.

    Even VH3's album in '98, was palatable for a while, probably until after the tour. Lemonade outta lemons and all that.

    In '04, the BOBW tracks were a godsend for most of us...we all thrilled and chilled over the complexities and nuances of LTS. We didn't care about the production or the rhyme or reason. There was some blowback from the cadets du jour about UFB's lyrics and the honeydew my melon shit. I never cared about VH lyrics, still don't, as long as harmonies are in play. Actually, UFB live was pretty friggin' good at Staples. IAT...well, it was apropos at the time, but...just didn't hold up very long. A very few VH fans got to experience LTS live. I often wondered how that translated.

    And of course, ADKOT in '12 was the risen Christ chalice at the time, though eventually the rosy tint wore off and the production and longevity became more clear, and the missing component became crystal clear.
    .
    Only the first ten albums constitute the long term legacy of VH. Everything after that...aside from the diehard fans, matters very little to Joe Q. Public.

    LOL...including any electronica versions of Jump. Because that was what that song so desperately needed. More Disco Duck.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 05.19.19 at 04:37 PM.

  5. #34
    Atomic Punk Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    47
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    10,496
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    11.15.19 @ 06:55 AM
    Likes
    2,379
    Liked 2,320 Times in 1,303 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    As always, new tunes from Eddie, upon first arrival, almost always sound like the next coming of the White Album.

    In '96, the first collabs from Dave and Ed since '84 with MWM and CGTSNM were received as they still pretty much are. Mostly for the promise of an album and tour. We all know how that went.

    Even VH3's album in '98, was palatable for a while, probably until after the tour. Lemonade outta lemons and all that.

    In '04, the BOBW tracks were a godsend for most of us...we all thrilled and chilled over the complexities and nuances of LTS. We didn't care about the production or the rhyme or reason. There was some blowback from the cadets du jour about UFB's lyrics and the honeydew my melon shit. I never cared about VH lyrics, still don't, as long as harmonies are in play. Actually, UFB live was pretty friggin' good at Staples. IAT...well, it was apropos at the time, but...just didn't hold up very long. A very few VH fans got to experience LTS live. I often wondered how that translated.

    And of course, ADKOT in '12 was the risen Christ chalice at the time, though eventually the rosy tint wore off and the production and longevity became more clear, and the missing component became crystal clear.
    .
    Only the first ten albums constitute the long term legacy of VH. Everything after that...aside from the diehard fans, matters very little to Joe Q. Public.

    LOL...including any electronica versions of Jump. Because that was what that song so desperately needed. More Disco Duck.
    No VS, disagreed. You can't put this THING in the same category as the rest. This is a public offense to good taste, audio vomit, literally. The kind of thing that if done in a country less respectful of human rights would lead to the aforementioned DJ to have his hands cut off. Horrible.
    Little Dreamer

  6. #35
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    28,283
    Last Online

    10.22.19 @ 11:45 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 4,215 Times in 2,683 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    No VS, disagreed. You can't put this THING in the same category as the rest. This is a public offense to good taste, audio vomit, literally. The kind of thing that if done in a country less respectful of human rights would lead to the aforementioned DJ to have his hands cut off. Horrible.
    Lol. My bad.

  7. #36
    Eruption
    Join Date
    10.11.06
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    1,105
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    11.16.19 @ 03:05 PM
    Likes
    201
    Liked 411 Times in 178 Posts

    Default

    deleted
    Last edited by Glenninaus; 05.20.19 at 12:56 AM. Reason: screwed up quotes

  8. #37
    Eruption
    Join Date
    10.11.06
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    1,105
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    11.16.19 @ 03:05 PM
    Likes
    201
    Liked 411 Times in 178 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    As always, new tunes from Eddie, upon first arrival, almost always sound like the next coming of the White Album.

    In '96, the first collabs from Dave and Ed since '84 with MWM and CGTSNM were received as they still pretty much are. Mostly for the promise of an album and tour. We all know how that went.

    Even VH3's album in '98, was palatable for a while, probably until after the tour. Lemonade outta lemons and all that.

    In '04, the BOBW tracks were a godsend for most of us...we all thrilled and chilled over the complexities and nuances of LTS. We didn't care about the production or the rhyme or reason. There was some blowback from the cadets du jour about UFB's lyrics and the honeydew my melon shit. I never cared about VH lyrics, still don't, as long as harmonies are in play. Actually, UFB live was pretty friggin' good at Staples. IAT...well, it was apropos at the time, but...just didn't hold up very long. A very few VH fans got to experience LTS live. I often wondered how that translated.

    And of course, ADKOT in '12 was the risen Christ chalice at the time, though eventually the rosy tint wore off and the production and longevity became more clear, and the missing component became crystal clear.
    .
    Only the first ten albums constitute the long term legacy of VH. Everything after that...aside from the diehard fans, matters very little to Joe Q. Public.

    LOL...including any electronica versions of Jump. Because that was what that song so desperately needed. More Disco Duck.
    Im with Dreamer, wouldnt discuss this version of Jump in the same breath as the other peripheral VH tunes you listed. for mine its not part of VH canon at all (I dont consider it a DLR track either), and its cleary putrid.

    With regards the rest of your assessment, pretty spot on, give or take. FWIW I put UFB in the same catagory as Amsterdam & Black & Blue as awesome EVH tone and riffs ruined by purile lyrics.

  9. #38
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    48
    Location
    P.F. Chang, South Korea
    Posts
    47,764
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    11.16.19 @ 04:13 AM
    Likes
    5,412
    Liked 26,580 Times in 13,409 Posts

    Default

    UFB has a great groove to it, but Sam mailed it in on this one. I mean Dear God, Bret Michaels wouldn't write something that cornball.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

  10. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  11. #39
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    42,114
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    11.16.19 @ 03:45 PM
    Likes
    18,942
    Liked 24,641 Times in 13,998 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenninaus View Post
    Im with Dreamer, wouldnt discuss this version of Jump in the same breath as the other peripheral VH tunes you listed. for mine its not part of VH canon at all (I dont consider it a DLR track either), and its cleary putrid.

    With regards the rest of your assessment, pretty spot on, give or take. FWIW I put UFB in the same catagory as Amsterdam & Black & Blue as awesome EVH tone and riffs ruined by purile lyrics.
    I think both Amsterdam and Black And Blue destroy Up For Breakfast.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  12. #40
    carpe damn diem billy007's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.19.00
    Age
    56
    Location
    On to Cincinnati...
    Posts
    30,581
    Favorite VH Song

    "Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

    11.16.19 @ 01:58 PM
    Likes
    1,595
    Liked 2,355 Times in 1,590 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    You may have forgotten Stand Up, and Shoo Bop...
    However, completely understandable!
    Nope, "Hot Dog And A Shake" is the bottom of Dave's barrel for me. I won't make the comment I want to make about the lyrics. I actually like the groove of "Stand Up". And haven't owned the Diamond Dave album long enough to not like any of it but it all seems fine for me for what it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    I agree that HDAS should’ve been in that list. Probably Hammerhead Shark too.

    I do not think UFB is worse than IAT. UFB has some partially redeeming axe work. The list however would be much longer if I included partial shit shows. Much of FUCK and ADKOT would’ve been there, probably the rest of 3, as well as a number of tribute band covers.
    I need lyrics to go with my music (unless it's an instrumental). Don't need to be the best lyrics ever written, but they gotta be better than "Up For Breakfast". "It's About Time" is goofy, but passable.
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

  13. #41
    Atomic Punk Number 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    39,994
    Last Online

    11.16.19 @ 03:48 PM
    Likes
    2,645
    Liked 11,154 Times in 6,158 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    UFB has a great groove to it, but Sam mailed it in on this one. I mean Dear God, Bret Michaels wouldn't write something that cornball.
    You're so above the debauchery of it all.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Van Halen - Jump / David Lee Roth exclusive interview
    By Number 47 in forum The Diamond One
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03.11.15, 04:57 AM
  2. Van Halen "Ripley" Remix with vocals by David Lee Roth
    By Kevin Dodds in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12.11.11, 06:41 PM
  3. Holy Crap! Parachutes Fail During 10,000 Ft. Jump, Yet Man Doesn't Break Single Bone
    By chefcraig in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09.01.09, 03:48 PM
  4. Van Halen's Ice Cream Man-Female Remix
    By James in New York in forum Van Halen On The Tube
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09.07.08, 03:03 PM
  5. THE VAN HALEN remix. Can you pick all the tunes?
    By sphill in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08.08.05, 01:06 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •