Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.15.19 @ 06:55 AM
    Liked 2,320 Times in 1,303 Posts

I remember digging the "Paint It Red On Black" part.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

11.16.19 @ 03:45 PM
    Liked 24,641 Times in 13,998 Posts

I remember not digging anything about those 3 songs.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

10.22.19 @ 11:45 AM
    Liked 4,215 Times in 2,683 Posts

Donor

As always, new tunes from Eddie, upon first arrival, almost always sound like the next coming of the White Album.

In '96, the first collabs from Dave and Ed since '84 with MWM and CGTSNM were received as they still pretty much are. Mostly for the promise of an album and tour. We all know how that went.

Even VH3's album in '98, was palatable for a while, probably until after the tour. Lemonade outta lemons and all that.

In '04, the BOBW tracks were a godsend for most of us...we all thrilled and chilled over the complexities and nuances of LTS. We didn't care about the production or the rhyme or reason. There was some blowback from the cadets du jour about UFB's lyrics and the honeydew my melon shit. I never cared about VH lyrics, still don't, as long as harmonies are in play. Actually, UFB live was pretty friggin' good at Staples. IAT...well, it was apropos at the time, but...just didn't hold up very long. A very few VH fans got to experience LTS live. I often wondered how that translated.

And of course, ADKOT in '12 was the risen Christ chalice at the time, though eventually the rosy tint wore off and the production and longevity became more clear, and the missing component became crystal clear.
    Only the first ten albums constitute the long term legacy of VH. Everything after that...aside from the diehard fans, matters very little to Joe Q. Public.

LOL...including any electronica versions of Jump. Because that was what that song so desperately needed. More Disco Duck.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 05.19.19 at 04:37 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.15.19 @ 06:55 AM
    Liked 2,320 Times in 1,303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    As always, new tunes from Eddie, upon first arrival, almost always sound like the next coming of the White Album.

In '96, the first collabs from Dave and Ed since '84 with MWM and CGTSNM were received as they still pretty much are. Mostly for the promise of an album and tour. We all know how that went.

Even VH3's album in '98, was palatable for a while, probably until after the tour. Lemonade outta lemons and all that.

In '04, the BOBW tracks were a godsend for most of us...we all thrilled and chilled over the complexities and nuances of LTS. We didn't care about the production or the rhyme or reason. There was some blowback from the cadets du jour about UFB's lyrics and the honeydew my melon shit. I never cared about VH lyrics, still don't, as long as harmonies are in play. Actually, UFB live was pretty friggin' good at Staples. IAT...well, it was apropos at the time, but...just didn't hold up very long. A very few VH fans got to experience LTS live. I often wondered how that translated.

And of course, ADKOT in '12 was the risen Christ chalice at the time, though eventually the rosy tint wore off and the production and longevity became more clear, and the missing component became crystal clear.
    Only the first ten albums constitute the long term legacy of VH. Everything after that...aside from the diehard fans, matters very little to Joe Q. Public.

LOL...including any electronica versions of Jump. Because that was what that song so desperately needed. More Disco Duck.
    No VS, disagreed. You can't put this THING in the same category as the rest. This is a public offense to good taste, audio vomit, literally. The kind of thing that if done in a country less respectful of human rights would lead to the aforementioned DJ to have his hands cut off. Horrible.
    Little Dreamer

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

10.22.19 @ 11:45 AM
    Liked 4,215 Times in 2,683 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    No VS, disagreed. You can't put this THING in the same category as the rest. This is a public offense to good taste, audio vomit, literally. The kind of thing that if done in a country less respectful of human rights would lead to the aforementioned DJ to have his hands cut off. Horrible.
    Lol. My bad.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.16.19 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 178 Posts

deleted
    Last edited by Glenninaus; 05.20.19 at 12:56 AM. Reason: screwed up quotes

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.16.19 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 178 Posts

Im with Dreamer, wouldnt discuss this version of Jump in the same breath as the other peripheral VH tunes you listed. for mine its not part of VH canon at all (I dont consider it a DLR track either), and its cleary putrid.

With regards the rest of your assessment, pretty spot on, give or take. FWIW I put UFB in the same catagory as Amsterdam & Black & Blue as awesome EVH tone and riffs ruined by purile lyrics.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

11.16.19 @ 04:13 AM
    Liked 26,580 Times in 13,409 Posts

UFB has a great groove to it, but Sam mailed it in on this one. I mean Dear God, Bret Michaels wouldn't write something that cornball.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

11.16.19 @ 03:45 PM
    Liked 24,641 Times in 13,998 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenninaus View Post
    Im with Dreamer, wouldnt discuss this version of Jump in the same breath as the other peripheral VH tunes you listed. for mine its not part of VH canon at all (I dont consider it a DLR track either), and its cleary putrid.

With regards the rest of your assessment, pretty spot on, give or take. FWIW I put UFB in the same catagory as Amsterdam & Black & Blue as awesome EVH tone and riffs ruined by purile lyrics.
    I think both Amsterdam and Black And Blue destroy Up For Breakfast.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

11.16.19 @ 01:58 PM
    Liked 2,355 Times in 1,590 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    You may have forgotten Stand Up, and Shoo Bop...
    However, completely understandable!
    Nope, "Hot Dog And A Shake" is the bottom of Dave's barrel for me. I won't make the comment I want to make about the lyrics. I actually like the groove of "Stand Up". And haven't owned the Diamond Dave album long enough to not like any of it but it all seems fine for me for what it is.

I agree that HDAS should’ve been in that list. Probably Hammerhead Shark too.

I do not think UFB is worse than IAT. UFB has some partially redeeming axe work. The list however would be much longer if I included partial shit shows. Much of FUCK and ADKOT would’ve been there, probably the rest of 3, as well as a number of tribute band covers.
    I need lyrics to go with my music (unless it's an instrumental). Don't need to be the best lyrics ever written, but they gotta be better than "Up For Breakfast". "It's About Time" is goofy, but passable.
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

Last Online

11.16.19 @ 03:48 PM
    Liked 11,154 Times in 6,158 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    UFB has a great groove to it, but Sam mailed it in on this one. I mean Dear God, Bret Michaels wouldn't write something that cornball.
    You're so above the debauchery of it all.