Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So what's the scoop, fellas? Are the remasters in HDCD format? AND if so, does anyone here have a HDCD capable player to take advantage of this? I'm curious if this format sounds a lot better..Hell, I might go pick up a new home cd player that supports HDCD just in honor of the remasters (add that to the list of Van Halen-a-holic craziness...)

I own one HDCD that I know of (Mark Knopfler's Golden Heart), and it sounds wonderful, even in my cd player (which DOES NOT support HDCD)...confused yet? So am I.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah i have an hdcd player, never have played an hdcd though. I doubt the new remasters are hdcd people would be mentioning the logo probably. Tell me about the sound quality of the hdcd you have.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone. I have been lurking here for quite some time and I want to say that this place is great and that Van Halen is the greatest band on the planet. Now, in reply to the posted topic, I noticed that the remasters are in HDCD format. So, if anyone has a HDCD player and they have the remasters let us know how it sounds. I don't have a HDCD player.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry for the long-windedness, but Here's the scoop on my one HDCD that I own:

It's Mark Knopfler solo album, Golden Heart, released a few years back. Sounds OUTSTANDING, as does all of his shit with Dire Straits. The cool thing is, it sounds outstanding even without the benefit of a cd player that decodes HDCD. I have always wanted to hear it in one of those to see what the difference is- I really can't imagine it sounding much better.

While we are on the topic of sound, as good as the remasters supposedly sound, can you guys imagine them sounding EVEN BETTER? Just around the corner is DVD AUDIO, which is supposed to blow cd sound out of the water. More dough for Ed and the boys. No wonder they don't need to put out a new album, they can just keep releasing the old shit in these new formats...

I am also anxious for them to release something in DOLBY DIGITAL SURROUND, so I can hear Mikey's bass in the back of my living room..

One final note: Although I hate to admit it, probably the best sounding, sonically, cd I own is Madonna's immaculate collection (ok, it's my girlfriends.)- A few of the newer songs on it were recorded in something called QSOUND, which uses a recorder and microphone shaped like the human ear (I shit you not), so when you play it back, it sounds almost 3-d- I mean, this shit jumps out at you. I guess nobody but me was too thrilled with it, though, cause I haven't seen any newer cds with it (course I haven't bought any in awhile since Napster..he he).

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, I'm the One, Dreams
    Last Online

02.14.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Q-sound is a really cool way to mix music/fx and get a decent 3d audio picture from a stereo pair of speakers. The process involves tweaking the time at which certain frequencies reach your ears. It almost feels like the sound is floating just behind your ears.

as for HDCD, we were discussing this in one of my grad classes last semester. this format is designed to gain a higer resolution out of 16-bit digital audio through compression and using new coding methods. the result is supposed to be very impressive on the proper equipment, but the sonic improvements should be fairly apparent on normal cd players, too.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Could HDCD be anything like "new improved Windex"? The old windex got the windows clean just fine, how much cleaner am I gonna notice?

The human sensory organs are limited afterall, will my current frequency range with these rock'n'roll affected ears really notice the difference?

------------------
    RLRR LRLL

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, I'm the One, Dreams
    Last Online

02.14.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

diddle,
    i hear you, dude.
    a lot of this also depends on what your listening enviroment is and the equipment in question.

let's face it - what's the difference between a cd and an old cassette when played through a crappy set of portable speakers?

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I own last Pat Benatar's cd, Inamorata, and it sounds awesome, one of the best in my 267 cds collection.
    You can definitely notice the difference in that it sounds "like a jazz cd": you can hear the crash and the splash of the drum kit crisp and clear, bass have more edge, and it's a great experience. HDCD is absolutely recommended!

------------------
    Right Now How Many Say I Can't Get This Stuff No More - ddregs