Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 16,405 Times in 7,219 Posts

I donít even really know honestly what got me that interested to play. I had been taking drum lessons and it just wasnít for me, but I didnít want to go back to piano either. A friend of mine who was learning bass and guitar at the time (great bass player now) showed me a couple open chords and I just took to it.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

2. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

08.16.19 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 277 Times in 167 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    Brett - I appreciate your time, and sharing of knowledge. This would be my first guitar, and as of today, I cannot play anything.

What you've said makes a great deal of sense, but here's my thought process behind the purchase:

- I can get my hands on my Dad's acoustic, but it doesn't have the draw that an electric guitar has (in my mind). And if I don't get the same degree of enthusiasm that I might have over an electric, it might discourage me to the extent that I will put the instrument down.

- From there, if I go with a cheap electric guitar, it makes sense - not knowing if I will stick with the instrument - but if I am going to pluck down a couple of hundred on a cheap guitar, I might as well go the extra hundred or two for something better.

(In all of this, I am not saying that my thought process is correct - I could be wrong - but I wanted to share my line of thought. Either way, I plan on moving in the Fall, so this isn't a purchase that I would make right now, but I am interested enough to ask questions. I do thank you for your time and council)

I thank you for your time, and sharing of knowledge

Thank you for your time and sharing of knowledge. Strats don't come with a humbucker pickup from the factory, or can they be specked that way? Or should I keep my eyes open for a used Strat with a humbucker?

Either way, I don't plan on doing anything soon, but y'all are giving me a lot of knowledge when I do make my purchase.

Thanks to all!
    There are many Fender Strats (American, Mexican & otherwise) that come from the factory with a humbucker in the bridge. Should be easy to find one, if that's your ideal.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

08.16.19 @ 07:30 PM
    Liked 1,710 Times in 857 Posts

Premium Member

How long did it take you, as an adult, to learn some licks?

I understand about the therapeutic effects of music; as much as I can't play anything, whenever I listen to my favorite band, it's almost as if I am in my own "space" - though the feeling is tough to describe.
    When I first started with the acoustic, I couldnít do anything, so I learned some chords that I could strum. I forgot to mention that at that time, I was taking guitar in high school, which helped big time to give me the basics. 3 years later is when I got my electric and by then I could play barre chords and had developed a decent sense of time. I learned to solo by trial and error in the beginning and by playing along with CDs. Around 1990 I wanted to step up my game so I took some lessons from the local hot shot. Just having the time to watch him play and give me some practice exercises was really helpful.

Iím not nearly as good as I should be after playing guitar for 36 years, but my ear and my hands are pretty well developed so now when I hear something, I can learn it pretty easily. For stuff that Iím not too sure about, either tablature or a YouTube video will get me in the right direction.

Donít be afraid to make noise! You wonít be perfect at the beginning, so donít be too hard on yourself. It takes time.

6. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

08.15.19 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 312 Times in 172 Posts

Y'all are truly the best! There are few things that I enjoy as much as I do music, and it's great to be able to come on here, and share my interest with people who love music as I do.

Thanks to all, for your replies
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do Ö " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Default :::Is There Any Way To Get A Strat To Sound Like A Wolfgang EVH Guitar?

I think I learned on acoustic for maybe a year and then I got an electric guitar. By then I had enough control to use distortion and play coherently enough so it wasnít all noise. When it came to lead playing I pretty much was on my own and just kind of walked my way learning different scales, picking stuff up by ear and using some tab books. I think having some basic theory because of piano helped me too.

Would have been nice to have had YouTube and other internet resources to kind a point me in the right direction on how to do things. We were on our own back in the day unless you took lessons, and I never felt the need to because of taking piano for years. I was kind of done with the whole lessons thing. I did with piano and drums and I just didnít want to take anymore lessons.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 02:31 AM
    Liked 85 Times in 61 Posts

Brett - I appreciate your time, and sharing of knowledge. This would be my first guitar, and as of today, I cannot play anything.

What you've said makes a great deal of sense, but here's my thought process behind the purchase:

- I can get my hands on my Dad's acoustic, but it doesn't have the draw that an electric guitar has (in my mind). And if I don't get the same degree of enthusiasm that I might have over an electric, it might discourage me to the extent that I will put the instrument down.

- From there, if I go with a cheap electric guitar, it makes sense - not knowing if I will stick with the instrument - but if I am going to pluck down a couple of hundred on a cheap guitar, I might as well go the extra hundred or two for something better.

(In all of this, I am not saying that my thought process is correct - I could be wrong - but I wanted to share my line of thought. Either way, I plan on moving in the Fall, so this isn't a purchase that I would make right now, but I am interested enough to ask questions. I do thank you for your time and council)

Thank you for your time and sharing of knowledge. Strats don't come with a humbucker pickup from the factory, or can they be specked that way? Or should I keep my eyes open for a used Strat with a humbucker?

Either way, I don't plan on doing anything soon, but y'all are giving me a lot of knowledge when I do make my purchase.

Thanks to all!
    There are Strats with humbuckers as mentioned above. But i think that Wolfgangs are more player-friendly. Kramer 84's are nice too.

As for Me Wise Magic and Summer Nights I do believe that as a guitar player you are more than likely to appreciate different things. By the time you will be able to RIP those tunes your top ten VH songs will be different. Not saying they suck - these are kickass songs. But as a guitar player you listen to the music in a different way.

Keeping rhythm and alternate/economy picking are not so easy at first.

Beside that you have to understsand the difference between guitar melody and vocal melody. The best example may be Paranoid by Black Sabbath. Instead od "finished with my woman..." line Iommi plays his chugga-chugga riff. Sometimes when playing for friends they expect me to play the vocal melody hahaha. But guitar and vocal melodies are usually different.
    Last edited by marcin; 05.06.19 at 04:12 AM.
    "If it sounds good, it is good" - Eddie Van Halen, 1981

"Don't give up, seriously. I mean if I can do it, you can do it, seroiusly" - Eddie Van Halen, 1985

"if you ever speak to me like that again, you better be wearing a cup" - EVH, 1996

"Death by Hollywood, a little too fabulous for his own good" - Edward Van Halen, 2005

Jeff Fiorentino - EVH style and tone master http://jfrocksguitarlessons.com/guitarlessons/vinheut/

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Well the guitar is a harmony instrument, it usually isnít playing the main melody of the song, the vocalist is.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

08.16.19 @ 05:12 AM
    Liked 3,649 Times in 1,806 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I don’t even really know honestly what got me that interested to play. I had been taking drum lessons and it just wasn’t for me, but I didn’t want to go back to piano either. A friend of mine who was learning bass and guitar at the time (great bass player now) showed me a couple open chords and I just took to it.
    I was really expecting the second part of this post to be about how your brother started playing your drum set while you were on your paper route.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    I was really expecting the second part of this post to be about how your brother started playing your drum set while you were on your paper route.
    Haha I never really thought about my journey to the guitar was similar to Edís in a weird way. Obviously far less prolifically.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.16.19 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 16,069 Times in 8,442 Posts

Premium Member

I don’t even really know honestly what got me that interested to play. I had been taking drum lessons and it just wasn’t for me, but I didn’t want to go back to piano either. A friend of mine who was learning bass and guitar at the time (great bass player now) showed me a couple open chords and I just took to it.
    LOL, I actually wanted to start playing drums and my parents wouldn't let me get a drum kit. They said we had nowhere in the house to put it. I think the real reason was that my step mom, who I didn't care for, didn't want the noise. So I said, "Fine, I'll get a guitar instead. You can't tell me there's nowhere in the house to put that."

I think my dad was thinking acoustic, but when we got to the guitar store I showed him what I really wanted and I think I blindsided him before he could say no.

We brought the guitar and amp home and my step-mother was pissed. I immediately turned it up and made a cacophony of loud obnoxious noise because I couldn't play a lick. I'm thinking, "I'll show you noise, bitch."
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

I donít think my parents were thrilled with the drums either, but I had a big room so I could keep them in there. I had a cheap used Remo set. I only took lessons for maybe a year. I really didnít like it.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 04:35 AM
    Liked 25,972 Times in 13,105 Posts

Premium Member

I don’t think my parents were thrilled with the drums either, but I had a big room so I could keep them in there. I had a cheap used Remo set. I only took lessons for maybe a year. I really didn’t like it.
    Did your big brother steal your set too?
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Did your big brother steal your set too?
    No siblings. Not sure what we did with them honestly. They were cheap and shitty. Here is the exact set I had.

Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

20. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

07.14.19 @ 09:50 PM
    Liked 4,099 Times in 2,562 Posts

Like, Brett, I started on an acoustic. A crappy one. Kinda glad I did cuz my hands got strong doing that.

Once I took lessons my guitar teacher gave me his old hollow body Kent. Like me, he hated that acoustic. Terrible action.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

08.12.19 @ 03:02 AM
    Liked 43 Times in 16 Posts

Go buy a used Kramer Pacer Classic (here's one for $299 used at Guitar Center: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Kr...tric-Guitar.gc)

I will sound great, won't break the bank and most importantly the Floyd rose tremolo is "decked" on the body so you won't have to deal tuning a floating tremolo which can be tricky if your new.