Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

11.17.19 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 2,608 Times in 1,234 Posts

Premium Member

Until 1988 Ed said he didn't work out, as he was pretty much drinking non-stop. Then he had an epiphany shortly after his dad died, sobered up and hired a trainer. So he was 33 when he started to train. He likely stopped each time he fell off the wagon but I imagine when (trying to be) sober he continued to train.

From July 1988 Rolling Stone:
    On the couch, meanwhile, Eddie, flushed from the workout he’s just completed with his trainer, nurses his tea, smokes a cigarette and speaks slowly, in a low, gruff voice.

“I started working out about a month ago. I’ve been trying to clean up my act, you know, stop drinkin’ and everything. I went to Betty Ford and the whole bullshit, because it worked for my brother. He’s been sober a year in April. The thing is, you can’t do it for other people. You know, my dad died a year ago December, from drinking, and he asked if we’d stop drinking and shit, and partying, and I tried to do it for him. I tried to do it for my wife. I tried to do it for my brother. And it didn’t do any good for me. After I got out of Betty Ford, I went on a drinking binge, and I got a fucking drunk-driving ticket on my motorcycle.”

The turning point, he says, came earlier this year, when he and Valerie celebrated their seventh anniversary with a vacation on Turtle Island, off Australia. There a mosquito bite gave him a rare tropical fever, and when his temperature hit 105 after they got back home, he was sent to Cedars-Sinai Hospital. “For some reason,” he says, “that kinda made me look at things a little different, imagining being in there for an OD or alcohol, like my dad died from. It kinda wised me up. So I’ve been sober for 20 days. And I’m starting to feel the light at the end of the tunnel, starting to feel good.”

“It’s going to be interesting for me to play sober, ’cause I never really have. The last ten years of my life I don’t think I’ve been truly sober. I probably had half a heat going round the clock, all the time. I’d wake up, crack open a beer before I’d eat anything. It takes a little getting used to, because now it feels like something’s missing. But if my brother can do it, I should be able to do it.”

Valerie Bertinelli, who says that she used the typical lines to get Eddie to quit — “Stop drinking! I’m going to divorce you!” — reports that Eddie has changed a lot in his one alcohol-free month. “I think he looks better, obviously,” she says.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.11.19 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DRFC View Post
    Until 1988 Ed said he didn't work out, as he was pretty much drinking non-stop. Then he had an epiphany shortly after his dad died, sobered up and hired a trainer. So he was 33 when he started to train. He likely stopped each time he fell off the wagon but I imagine when (trying to be) sober he continued to train.

From July 1988 Rolling Stone:
    On the couch, meanwhile, Eddie, flushed from the workout he’s just completed with his trainer, nurses his tea, smokes a cigarette and speaks slowly, in a low, gruff voice.

“I started working out about a month ago. I’ve been trying to clean up my act, you know, stop drinkin’ and everything. I went to Betty Ford and the whole bullshit, because it worked for my brother. He’s been sober a year in April. The thing is, you can’t do it for other people. You know, my dad died a year ago December, from drinking, and he asked if we’d stop drinking and shit, and partying, and I tried to do it for him. I tried to do it for my wife. I tried to do it for my brother. And it didn’t do any good for me. After I got out of Betty Ford, I went on a drinking binge, and I got a fucking drunk-driving ticket on my motorcycle.”

The turning point, he says, came earlier this year, when he and Valerie celebrated their seventh anniversary with a vacation on Turtle Island, off Australia. There a mosquito bite gave him a rare tropical fever, and when his temperature hit 105 after they got back home, he was sent to Cedars-Sinai Hospital. “For some reason,” he says, “that kinda made me look at things a little different, imagining being in there for an OD or alcohol, like my dad died from. It kinda wised me up. So I’ve been sober for 20 days. And I’m starting to feel the light at the end of the tunnel, starting to feel good.”

“It’s going to be interesting for me to play sober, ’cause I never really have. The last ten years of my life I don’t think I’ve been truly sober. I probably had half a heat going round the clock, all the time. I’d wake up, crack open a beer before I’d eat anything. It takes a little getting used to, because now it feels like something’s missing. But if my brother can do it, I should be able to do it.”

Valerie Bertinelli, who says that she used the typical lines to get Eddie to quit — “Stop drinking! I’m going to divorce you!” — reports that Eddie has changed a lot in his one alcohol-free month. “I think he looks better, obviously,” she says.
    Finally an excellent and respectful reply to the subject, unlike the rest of the drivel. Thanks so much.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.11.19 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rchop84 View Post
    Here's to hoping 27 posts over the next 15 years
    yeah and once again given the discussion I'm outta here
    can't even have a basic discussion on fitness
    what a cess pool, puts 4chan to shame, y'all give VH a bad name

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.17.19 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 16,837 Times in 7,420 Posts

Default Eddie's fitness level

Quote Originally Posted by FL6 View Post
    yeah and once again given the discussion I'm outta here
    can't even have a basic discussion on fitness
    what a cess pool, puts 4chan to shame, y'all give VH a bad name
    You need to calm down. You seem to be looking for a fight for some odd reason.

Talk about overreacting to one post.

And this is one of the few places keeping Van Halen alive so you can drop that nonsense my friend.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

11.17.19 @ 09:30 PM
    Liked 17,054 Times in 8,990 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    You need to calm down. You seem to be looking for a fight for some odd reason.

Talk about overreacting to one post.

And this is one of the few places keeping Van Halen alive so you can drop that nonsense my friend.
    This is a bald faced lie.

This is the site that is keeping the band relevant and communicating with its fans:

http://van-halen.com

Let's not exaggerate our importance here.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

8. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

11.17.19 @ 06:58 AM
    Liked 3,051 Times in 1,608 Posts

Delete because I can't figure out how to post a stupid gif.

HH<----Is it Monday today?----
    Last edited by Hurricane Halen; 05.03.19 at 08:25 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

11.17.19 @ 06:58 AM
    Liked 3,051 Times in 1,608 Posts

y'all give VH a bad name
    No, that's not right. Bon Jovi gave love a bad name.

HH<----- If anyone is giving VH a bad name, it's them --------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

11.16.19 @ 04:26 PM
    Liked 2,181 Times in 919 Posts

Premium Member

Yeah, just can't think of many white guys with those genes.
    European/Asian genetics are no better/worse for determining body fat composition than any other race. It comes down to caloric intake vs. activity level. I do believe in general, the food supply of the 60's & 70s was "cleaner" than what we have now. The animals today are sadly pumped full of so many steroids and hormones, its ridiculous.

~E

Last Online

11.16.19 @ 07:35 AM
    Liked 169 Times in 94 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    This is a bald faced lie.

This is the site that is keeping the band relevant and communicating with its fans:

http://van-halen.com
    🤣😆😂😅

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

11.17.19 @ 10:59 PM
    Liked 354 Times in 208 Posts

Thumbs up

Here is a photo of Eddie in his 20's doing martial arts with Roth. So yeah he worked out.

Roth has always been the fittest VH member though, he is a very good martial artist. He has awesome kicks, especially when he was younger.

Last edited by YankeeRose; 05.03.19 at 10:39 AM.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

11.17.19 @ 06:09 PM
    Liked 26,587 Times in 13,412 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    This might be a hippa violation.
    Definitely PHI.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

11.17.19 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 2,608 Times in 1,234 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose View Post
    Here is a photo of Eddie in his 20's doing martial arts with Roth. So yeah he worked out.
    If getting wasted and goofing around with your buddies is working out, I'm Jack Lalanne

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.16.19 @ 07:43 AM
    Liked 89 Times in 40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    Its genetics. If you look at Al after he stopped drinking he's cut and ripped too and looks like he put some time in in the weight room.

Al's son and Ed's nephew is a national class runner. If you watch what Ed was able to do on stage there's no question that he's also got some athletic gifts as well.

unfortunately for Wolf it seems that he got the majority of mom's genes.
    I'm going with the genes....His mother's most likely given she's Indonesian and his body type is very similar to a typical Indonesia. That is to say very lean, muscular, and relatively short.

His musicality is probably from his father given he was, as we all know, a musician.

Al is the same of course but also seems to have inherited his father's height given the Dutch are typically taller than Indonesians....Relatively speaking of course....
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

11.17.19 @ 06:37 PM
    Liked 18,732 Times in 10,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Halen View Post
    No, that's not right. Bon Jovi gave love a bad name.

HH<----- If anyone is giving VH a bad name, it's them --------
    No, they gave music a bad name.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

21. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

11.15.19 @ 07:07 AM
    Liked 99 Times in 55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    Coke burns body fat like crazy (what I've been told, never tried it...lol). Smoking and drugs cake kill your appetite.
    That's probably a huge part of it. I've never really heard or read what types of food EVH eats, but my guess is he'd have to eat relatively healthy/decent to offset all the alcohol and it's effects (especially lack of decent nutrient intake). He probably has a fast metabolism too. While there's been times he hasn't looked great (actually looks different every time a new picture comes out), he's never taken on the look of somebody who not only drinks a lot but also eats horribly.