Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.21.19 @ 01:13 PM
    Liked 16,852 Times in 7,429 Posts

Default Bands in Your School That Intimidated You

Nobody intimidated me, I had no problem learning from guys who were better than me. I wasnt good enough then to be intimidated. Just made me want to get better. I also dont remember anyone having a band, I just remember a lot of guys played guitar and I heard them over the years and they were just really good.

People having bands for me started when I was in college. I felt intimidated for sure the first time I got on stage to play after other bands. I dont get intimidated by anyone anymore. Im just older and I dont worry about that stuff. I play how I play. Over the years Ive noticed most bands weve played with in clubs, the guitar players dont even do solos or anything crazy, so I think people kind of like watching somebody who does actually do a solo in everything, whether its amazing or not.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

11.21.19 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 1,128 Posts

Premium Member

Maybe intimidated wasn't the right word, but like I say, I was 15 and had my crappy Peavey and little practice amp, and none of this made sense to me. I didn't understand how to play by ear and had to have the sheet music to play anything, so how were they playing songs just like the record? (A friend saw them at Six Flags that summer and was foaming at the mouth, "They played 'Smokin' in the Boys Room' just like the record!") And more than that, where did all this equipment come from? There were eight foot tall pyramids of PA speakers on each side of the stage that belonged to them, as well as side stage monitors and front monitors, and a mixing desk you could've used in an arena. (I later learned one of them had rather wealthy and generous parents, not that that had anything to do with their talent.)

Fortunately, later on, thanks to Poison and Black Flag, I learned how to play by ear, and I also learned absolutely no band on earth has their own huge PA like that! If you're smaller you use what's at the venue, if you're bigger you rent it from Showco!

By the time I was 21 I finally got a band together and we had some highlights ourselves, but I remain in awe of how good those guys were just as teenagers. All these decades later, still one of the best live bands I've ever seen.
    Last edited by ArtyBoy; 04.29.19 at 05:19 AM.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I've posted this here at least once before, but this was the next mind blower. This kid had only played power chords maybe two years earlier, if that, and suddenly he'd learned three songs off Surfing with the Alien, seemingly perfectly!

I look back now and realize I saw no one else in this entire city, at least not around our age and out playing in rock bands in bars, as slick as this guy was at 16.

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

11.20.19 @ 11:29 AM
    Liked 710 Times in 475 Posts

Not in school, but in the same city.

1st band I was in (Deja-Vu) and we had some other great acts playing heavy music in the local scene where I live (Braslia/Brazil) in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Dungeon, Restless, Torino, Abhorrent, Flammea (all female Heavy Metal band), Abomination, Volkana and a few others. Both Dungeon and Restless released albums and these records were cool ones. Maybe the recording wasn't the best, not showing how good they were on studio as they sounded live, but they were great. After Deja-vu disbanded in 1996, I joined forces with Mantra and then Narcose. Then I quit playing Heavy Metal stuff.

And no intimidation. Maybe a wish that most of those bands would had been succeded as we thought it was possible. Like in any city of the world that had a good musical scenario.

TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

09.27.19 @ 09:08 PM
    Liked 4,111 Times in 2,567 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    I've posted this here at least once before, but this was the next mind blower. This kid had only played power chords maybe two years earlier, if that, and suddenly he'd learned three songs off Surfing with the Alien, seemingly perfectly!

I look back now and realize I saw no one else in this entire city, at least not around our age and out playing in rock bands in bars, as slick as this guy was at 16.
    LOL. I knew a guy like that too. Didn't see him for a few years. He was practicing non stop.
    Next time I see him he's playing Spanish Fly and a whole host of crazy stuff.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Ribeiro View Post

Is that you killing those drums, Simon?

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Is that you killing those drums, Simon?
    Yep!! Deja-vu's 1st incarnation.

Here's the other video shoot filmed in 1995. This one's from the song Echoes of Insanity got some good responses from a few times it was aired inside local MTv's Fria. Fria was something equivalent to the great old Headbangers Ball program and MTv here was based in So Paulo city.

Last edited by Simon Ribeiro; 04.30.19 at 07:19 AM.
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    LOL. I knew a guy like that too. Didn't see him for a few years. He was practicing non stop.
    Next time I see him he's playing Spanish Fly and a whole host of crazy stuff.
    The drummer and bass player are in the same grade he is, yet they can't keep up, and they're playing the easy parts! I'm remember him saying he had wanted to play "Satch Boogie" but the drummer couldn't swing it (no pun intended). And he's tossing picks like a star while he does it!

Here's the other video shoot filmed in 1995. This one's from the song Echoes of Insanity got some good responses from a few times it was aired inside local MTv's Fria. Fria was something equivalent to the great old Headbangers Ball program and MTv here was based in So Paulo city.

I remember seeing these videos and thinking, "Simon looks like if Steve Vai played drums." If I got to make such nice-looking videos that actually got played on TV, I'd be flying on it to this day! I would keep them on my phone and if my boss gave me a hard time, I would turn the videos on and say, "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!"

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

And no intimidation. Maybe a wish that most of those bands would had been succeded as we thought it was possible. Like in any city of the world that had a good musical scenario.
    Yes! I've always been a booster for people here who were good, so much as I could be. Probably why I keep posting my 25+ year old home videos! Even if I couldn't be the star myself, if I could just say I saw somebody before they were famous, that would be enough.

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

I remember seeing these videos and thinking, "Simon looks like if Steve Vai played drums." If I got to make such nice-looking videos that actually got played on TV, I'd be flying on it to this day! I would keep them on my phone and if my boss gave me a hard time, I would turn the videos on and say, "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!"

Hehehehehe! That was funny.

Thanks for the compliment - having some kind of approval from posters here is damn fine!

And it's cool that these old stuff still sound decent after all these years.

Last Online

11.21.19 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 11,171 Times in 6,168 Posts

Premium Member

Was never intimidated, but still a local, hometown, school connection by six degrees

FASHION POLICE

http://melodic-hardrock.com/bios/fashion-police/
    Last edited by Number 47; 04.30.19 at 11:20 AM.

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

Yes! I've always been a booster for people here who were good, so much as I could be. Probably why I keep posting my 25+ year old home videos! Even if I couldn't be the star myself, if I could just say I saw somebody before they were famous, that would be enough.
    Yeah!!! It is really a privilege to meet some folks that made it, I know! There was this band here in Braslia and they made it in a BIG way. Their drummer took a few lessons with me and then he joined Raimundos in 1992, played in a few gigs, recorded a demo tape in 1993, got signed, sold 150,000 copies of their debut, then got signed by local Warner and became a huge success.

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Yeah!!! It is really a privilege to meet some folks that made it, I know! There was this band here in Braslia and they made it in a BIG way. Their drummer took a few lessons with me and then he joined Raimundos in 1992, played in a few gigs, recorded a demo tape in 1993, got signed, sold 150,000 copies of their debut, then got signed by local Warner and became a huge success.
    Right! And maybe you got to at least be nearby while his success happened, so you have some idea of what it must be like.

Do you also find that sometimes the best players are the ones who stay in their house and don't seem to do anything with their talent, or wreck their own future with drugs and such? Many of the best people I've known seem scared of their own talent and it's impossible to convince them to even perform in public, or to take what they're doing to the next level. Right now I'm trying to get this keyboard guy I know who plays jazz fusion to jam with a popular local guitar player, but I can tell he's digging in his heels and finding reasons not to do it already.

24. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

Yep!! Deja-vu's 1st incarnation.

You're a really good drummer, Simon!
    Super heavy stuff really isn't my thing, but you guys did it very well. Some talented dudes there.

Very cool you got to be on a Headbanger's Ball type show. Those must've been fun times.

That first video was scaring me. The guitarist were coming so close to hitting each other in the face with their guitars.
    Sounded great though!

26. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Was never intimidated, but still a local, hometown, school connection by six degrees

FASHION POLICE

http://melodic-hardrock.com/bios/fashion-police/
    Cool story. Can't say they didn't try.

Somebody is always falling off the stage.