Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

07.19.19 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 803 Times in 388 Posts

Default EVH Shark Review

Walked into my local guitar shop, and they had one of the new Sharks in. I plugged her in and thought I'd post my impressions:

First of all, appearance wise I think they did a great job. Set neck, 3 gold and 3 chrome tuners, brass nut, gold switch plate (jack plate), good bridge and abandoned pot hole where is should be. They did a really good job making it with the right ingredients.

When I held it in my hands, I couldn't help but notice the neck felt kind of round and chunky. No big deal, but the back profile is not EVHish. That being said, the neck played very well. The next thing that caught my attention is the turnbuckles. They rattle, no matter how tight you turn them. Even bottomed out, they still rattle, so that's kind of a negative.

Plugged in though, the guitar is really heavy on the bass side. It's not bright or articulate. It may be up some people's alley, but I couldn't find a tone I liked out of it. I wish I could have. I was really hoping that I was going to plug it in and it was going to give me an excuse to get it. I would still love to have it as a wall ornament, but I can't justify $1400 just to look at it.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.21.19 @ 01:51 AM
    Liked 16,281 Times in 7,145 Posts

Default EVH Shark Review

I played it at NAMM and I wasnít blown away. But I donít like the Fender EVH guitar products that much anyway so I didnít really want to say anything negative.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.20.19 @ 10:49 PM
    Liked 8,925 Times in 6,408 Posts

Premium Member

I still say the the first r/w/b striped series guitar was my favorite... At least the one I bought (used, yet mint!). Low action, correct flat bridge angle, good feel and good tone. Also, 'inspired' by an EVH striped job without being an obvious clone with instantly (by us) recognizable graphic.

I regret selling it. The Shark is not one that ever really interested me, with all due respect to those who've bought one or built their own.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

07.18.19 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,137 Times in 702 Posts

I thought it felt/sounded great!

Would be great to spend more time with one.
    Join my EVH Gear Fans LIVE Facebook Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/EVHGEARFANSLIVE/

My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

"Like" me on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/evhgearlive/
    http://www.facebook.com/johnnybeanetv

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

07.21.19 @ 02:56 AM
    Liked 2,048 Times in 954 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    The next thing that caught my attention is the turnbuckles. They rattle, no matter how tight you turn them. Even bottomed out, they still rattle, so that's kind of a negative.
    Apparently thats how they are on the real deal too, so that why they are like that on this one...
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybeane View Post

I thought it felt/sounded great!

Would be great to spend more time with one.

I thought it felt good. The neck profile would take some getting used to, but it was well balanced and played well. It sounded to me like all the highs were washed out with very little mid response. Although, I assume you could probably dial that out in your amp settings.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.19.19 @ 01:04 PM
    Liked 1,196 Times in 700 Posts

Walked into my local guitar shop, and they had one of the new Sharks in. I plugged her in and thought I'd post my impressions:

First of all, appearance wise I think they did a great job. Set neck, 3 gold and 3 chrome tuners, brass nut, gold switch plate (jack plate), good bridge and abandoned pot hole where is should be. They did a really good job making it with the right ingredients.

When I held it in my hands, I couldn't help but notice the neck felt kind of round and chunky. No big deal, but the back profile is not EVHish. That being said, the neck played very well. The next thing that caught my attention is the turnbuckles. They rattle, no matter how tight you turn them. Even bottomed out, they still rattle, so that's kind of a negative.

Plugged in though, the guitar is really heavy on the bass side. It's not bright or articulate. It may be up some people's alley, but I couldn't find a tone I liked out of it. I wish I could have. I was really hoping that I was going to plug it in and it was going to give me an excuse to get it. I would still love to have it as a wall ornament, but I can't justify $1400 just to look at it.
    What amp and speakers did you play it thru in the store ? Would have probably sounded better in the comfort of your own home and thru your rig but I realize that wouldn’t have been practical
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

Last Online

5150 III LBX II and a 212 cab, same rig as mine. Every guitar is different, and there is a possibility the one I played was a bad example, but I just can't help but remember Eddie saying that he ruined the tone of the guitar when he cut that chunk out of it, and thinking that translated to the copy.
    Last edited by nobozos; 04.24.19 at 01:54 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.19.19 @ 01:04 PM
    Liked 1,196 Times in 700 Posts

5150 III LBX II and a 212 cab, same rig as mine. Every guitar is different, and there is a possibility the one I played was a bad example, but I just can't help but remember Eddie saying that he ruined the tone of the guitar when he cut that chunk out of it, and thinking that translated to the copy.
    Well that’s definitely not a dark bassy setup you played it thru . Pretty cool they had your same amp and cab at the store
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic