Register
Save
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 613141516
    Last Online

09.23.19 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 236 Times in 110 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Hagar smiled throughout his Highmark Stadium show Wednesday, not trying anything wildly imaginative, just delivering a good old-fashioned rock-concert fun, where musicianship, hit songs and an enthusiastic personality were the driving forces.

There was a constant threat of rain, and while some fell, it wasn’t a big deal at all. The biggest drama came when bassist Michael Anthony, working the far corner of the stage, took a tumble. You heard a loud bang, and then he disappeared, leaving Hagar to ponder if his longtime bandmate had fallen off the stage (guitarist Vic Johnson is still wearing a protective boot since breaking a bone in a stage fall a few weeks ago). Maybe these guys need to start working with a net.

Undaunted by Anthony’s temporary absence, the band kept playing, as the former Van Halen bassist emerged a minute or two later with a sheepish look, checking his fingers a few times to make sure they were OK, then jumping back into the fray to provide meaty bass grooves and effective vocal harmonies.

https://www.alternativenation.net/mi...len-fans-show/
    Maybe they should call this tour "Live With A Net!"

2. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

09.23.19 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 2,307 Times in 1,376 Posts

better review than what I posted awhile ago, I wanted it to sit for a bit before I tried to get too descriptive.

So, I had 4th row tickets, they were supposed to be third row. I got them through Stub Hub and paid a decent amount for them but I figured if this was the last time Sam comes around I want to see him, I want to see him up close and I want to just take the whole thing in.

Sam's son came out and did about 5 songs. It was just him and with an acoustic guitar and a harmonica along with a second guy with an electric guitar, it was interesting because it sounded good I was just totally unfamiliar with the material so it was hard getting into it too much. He did cover Tom Petty's Free Falling and that was really cool. Not much of a crowd for him and I know a lot of the people who were there didn't know he was Sam's son but he still got a decent response.

Night Ranger was next up. I've always liked NR. Don't Tell Me You Love Me was one of my favorite tunes when I was a teenager. I've also always thought Brad Gillis was great...I don't know why I just always like what he plays. I think it would be cool if he worked with Sam one day on something. NR did about 6-8 songs and I knew the words to everyone except for 1 tune in the middle of the set. they did Damn Yankees High Enough which was actually really, really cool. I don't know who the second guitarist was but he was putting 110% into the show....it's just his guitar was not as loud as everything else so even his solo's were a bit muffled. Band did a group drum solo...it's very cool live, didn't look as cool on youtube a few days later. They were really, really good. Top 5 opening acts I've ever seen.

We went for a walk, I did not see a merch booth and we pretty much made our way around the whole perimeter, A buddy of mine said there was one but I didn't see it, I probably would have bought a couple of shirts, one for the Circle and one Night Ranger.

the layover wasn't long at all, we made it back just in time for the start of the show. Sam plays guitar a lot more onstage than I've ever seen him do before. One of my favorite Montrose songs has always been I Got The Fire so them kicking the show off with TFB and that IGTF opening riff was cool as hell. song was fun in concert. Sam takes the guitar off for the first part of 3 Lock Box but he plays the solo and again, I don't play guitar but his solo is pretty bad ass. Poundcake was up next, nice version, Vic ain't Ed and on this song the difference was (to me) very obvious. Crowd went nuts for 55 and FWYS.

Devil Came to Philly is really cool live. I said it in my initial post that I think Sam and Vic play off of each other well, I don't know how good or bad Vic is, I know he got the job cause he wasn't at all like Ed so I take a lot of the negative comments about his playing on VH songs with a grain of salt but they (Sam and Vic) do sound good when they play together.

rest of the show was great. Sam and Mike have great on stage chemistry, it's really cool to see guys up there with that kind of rapport.

Jason was a beast, very cool to see him live.

Vic played a white wolfgang for a lot of the show (or at least that's what I think it was) which was odd but kind of cool too.

overall they played the following VH songs:

Poundcake
    FWYS
    Right Now
    WCTBL
    BOBW

I love The Seventh Seal so I was kind of bummed they dropped it but seriously, everything they played sounded great to me, especially FWYS and BOBW...FWYS suprised me cause I'm so sick of that song I never listen to it anymore but they kicked ass on it live. BOBW was fantastic, loved seeing the 5150 walk even though it was only Sam and Mike cause Vic was still dealing with his broken foot.

Great concert experience.

4. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

09.23.19 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 2,307 Times in 1,376 Posts

Night Ranger also played Highway Star as part of their encore (don't know why I felt the need to post that lol)

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.19.19 @ 05:44 AM
    Liked 55 Times in 17 Posts

Saw The Circle in Tinley Park about 10 days ago.

I haven't seen Sam since the last Chickenfoot tour in 2012. Before then I was going to his shows annually, but I had college to worry about and frankly, his "Four Decades of Rock" -- and even The Circle on its face -- concepts just didn't jive with me; everything was going to pale in comparison to a project I thought brought out the best in everyone involved. And I sure didn't have much interest in watching Sam bill himself covering Led Zeppelin stuff.

I was extremely impressed. Sam doesn't have any new tricks he can show me at this point, nor do Mike or Vic or Jason (the latter of whom I was seeing for the first time; he's excellent). Once upon a time that would have bugged me, but I know where I can go for new tricks if I want them. I know what I'm getting with Sam, and after seven years and a couple album/tour cycles since I've last seen him, I couldn't have been more pleased to know he's still doing his thing as efficiently as ever.

His age is clear in some areas, but again, I'm coming with nearly 10 shows under my belt and countless bootlegs heard over the years. I have a hard time believing the casual fan cares how many more times Mike took over lead vocal portions to give Sam a rest, or how songs like "One Way to Rock" were tuned down to fit the circumstances. Hell, give me a new way of experiencing songs I've seen live a bunch of times and I'm already intrigued. I think most, if not all, the deficiencies and limitations were glossed over nicely by the band itself. He's 72 and looks better than me in tight pants though, which I'm having trouble reckoning with at the moment.

New songs translated well, too. "Devil Came to Philly" was clearly written to serve as a transitional new track in a live setting and it worked gloriously as such. A lot of the new material is better than I was expecting, both on the record and live, and I was pleased with the selections they made.

It's funny how, over time, you learn how much certain things don't matter. If this were 2013 and I were still a regular here, I'd probably have a lot of bad things to say about The Circle, how Sam can do better for himself and all of us at this stage, etc. How a "proper" band like Chickenfoot was a far more meaningful endeavor with regard to everyone's legacy.

In 2019 I'm just happy this dude's still doing the thing. That I could swim in $17 beers and smoke a few J's on the lawn and still watch one of the few musical constants I've had since day one. I loved Space Between because it exists, just as I enjoyed my Circle live experience, and sometimes it really can be that simple.

Hope y'all are doing marvelously.
    In and out. I didn't even make that pun on purpose.

7. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

09.23.19 @ 10:34 AM
    Liked 805 Times in 452 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZachenFoot View Post

I haven't seen Sam since the last Chickenfoot tour in 2012. Before then I was going to his shows annually, but I had college to worry about and frankly, his "Four Decades of Rock" -- and even The Circle on its face -- concepts just didn't jive with me; everything was going to pale in comparison to a project I thought brought out the best in everyone involved. And I sure didn't have much interest in watching Sam bill himself covering Led Zeppelin stuff.

I was extremely impressed. Sam doesn't have any new tricks he can show me at this point, nor do Mike or Vic or Jason (the latter of whom I was seeing for the first time; he's excellent). Once upon a time that would have bugged me, but I know where I can go for new tricks if I want them. I know what I'm getting with Sam, and after seven years and a couple album/tour cycles since I've last seen him, I couldn't have been more pleased to know he's still doing his thing as efficiently as ever.

His age is clear in some areas, but again, I'm coming with nearly 10 shows under my belt and countless bootlegs heard over the years. I have a hard time believing the casual fan cares how many more times Mike took over lead vocal portions to give Sam a rest, or how songs like "One Way to Rock" were tuned down to fit the circumstances. Hell, give me a new way of experiencing songs I've seen live a bunch of times and I'm already intrigued. I think most, if not all, the deficiencies and limitations were glossed over nicely by the band itself. He's 72 and looks better than me in tight pants though, which I'm having trouble reckoning with at the moment.

New songs translated well, too. "Devil Came to Philly" was clearly written to serve as a transitional new track in a live setting and it worked gloriously as such. A lot of the new material is better than I was expecting, both on the record and live, and I was pleased with the selections they made.

It's funny how, over time, you learn how much certain things don't matter. If this were 2013 and I were still a regular here, I'd probably have a lot of bad things to say about The Circle, how Sam can do better for himself and all of us at this stage, etc. How a "proper" band like Chickenfoot was a far more meaningful endeavor with regard to everyone's legacy.

In 2019 I'm just happy this dude's still doing the thing. That I could swim in $17 beers and smoke a few J's on the lawn and still watch one of the few musical constants I've had since day one. I loved Space Between because it exists, just as I enjoyed my Circle live experience, and sometimes it really can be that simple.

Glad to hear you are alive and well.
    Cabo x 24
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

09.23.19 @ 10:52 PM
    Liked 4,048 Times in 2,569 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ZachenFoot View Post

Dude!

11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

09.23.19 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 2,364 Times in 1,300 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Been a good minute since I've seen you post here Zach. Another RR.com alum.

$17.00 beer?

Dafuq!
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.23.19 @ 08:59 PM