Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner\'s Swing-Top Jimmy
    Last Online

10.19.07 @ 02:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm kind of curious if anyone out there would agree with me on this. From what I can tell by the reviews of Dave's show, is that he seems a little stiff and is "rushing" the show with little talk. Also, some say that he acts like something is not right, or missing. Indeed! Eddie, Mike, and Big Al. Dave is performing all VH tunes with the exception of "Yankee Rose", and he's doing it with a bunch of guys who he picked up from tribute bands, bar bands, and auditions. If Dave came out on the stage with the original line-up behind him, I'd bet you anything that his performance would be 200% better. Simply because of the spirit factor. Now Dave is performing the old VH catalog with the spirit of what use to be fueling him along. But with the actual guys on the same stage, playing the music, and egging each other on, it would push Dave to new creative heights. I have performed over the years with quite a few different bands, mostly blues rock type things, but also Old school stuff, like VH, Zep, Aerosmith, etc. High energy stuff. Depending on which band I was playing with a lot of times would dictate on how well I would perform. Some bands were better than others, and some of the bands had a chemistry that only existed within certain members. I don't mean to compare my experiences to those of the mighty VH, but I can tell you that it makes a big difference. Crowd acceptance as well is a huge factor. These guys feed off of the crowd response. And I dare say that the crowd response at a VH reunion would be off the hook to say the very least. Plus the equipment would be top notch, and the biggest factor would be that Eddie would be on the guitar instead of Brian Young. Alex drumming instead of Ray Luzier. Mike Anthony on bass instead of James Lamenzo. For those of you who have never had the chance to hear them together with Dave, there's just nothing else like it. Even when Dave messed up, (hey the guys human) it still was cool, because it was Van Halen. Now when Dave messes up, all of the focus goes on Dave because no one really is that focused on the rest of the band. They are there basically to see Dave. I don't mean to put Dave's band down because they are very capable musicians, but they are not Van Halen. It's just that simple. I mean when Dave is on stage now and they are playing "So This Is Love?", and he walks over to Brian Young, when it use to be Eddie. I'm sure even Dave must think to himself, man sure would be nice........... so it surely must affect his performance without the rest of the original gang there. I'm waiting with high hopes. Peace................
    "Be yourself, even if you have to fake it"

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

they're using top notch equipment, Brian's not up there playing a made in Korea Epiphone or something similar...and VH with Al would never start with Hot For Teacher. Sammy always said that he would let Al work up to a faster song like HFT or Get Up, or even Pleasure Dome, and then let him either take a break after, or they do a slow song.

even if you're watching Dave, you're gonna hear the band screw up. as for the less talking between songs, Dave doesn't have to take a break so the other band members can, um, indulge in their vices while he kills time. and the less Dave says onstage, the less he slips into some of the old jokes that may make a new fan cringe. would Dave fronting VH be a different vibe than Dave fronting his current band? you bet your ass. but he's doing a damn good job on this tour so far...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

10.12.15 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

I think one paper's review said it best that Edward's presence was like the phantom menace to both Sammy and Dave. Nothing is going to sound as good as Van Halen when Ed isn't there and that's a fact.

As far as talking and making jokes between songs, that's fine if you're funny, which Dave is nine times out of ten, and if you're a new fan, then you haven't heard the jokes or seen the schtick, so why should it bother you? Seems to me the only people who don't like the JD bit are the ones who've seen it a few too many times. I myself haven't seen it in years and would find it very amusing, but that's just me. I'd get more out of that than watching some fake booby woman pretend like fat ol' Sammy is turning her on. And I don't need videos of half-naked woman (or midgets for that matter) to have a good time and get me cheering for a show. If the band is any good, that's all you need. Van Halen back in the day didn't need any props to bring the party to town. Sammy always seems to be to be trying to be funny, but just not getting there.

It seems to me from the reviews that I've read that the people who are showing up at these shows are not necessarily fans of Dave and Sammy's solo stuff as much as they are of Van Halen. So until you get either Sammy or Dave with Ed, Al, and Mike up on stage, you're not going to get Van Halen at any of these shows and that's the vibe that's missing.
    Could this be magic?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 06:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by z28girl:
    I think one paper's review said it best that Edward's presence was like the phantom menace to both Sammy and Dave. Nothing is going to sound as good as Van Halen when Ed isn't there and that's a fact.

As far as talking and making jokes between songs, that's fine if you're funny, which Dave is nine times out of ten, and if you're a new fan, then you haven't heard the jokes or seen the schtick, so why should it bother you? Seems to me the only people who don't like the JD bit are the ones who've seen it a few too many times. I myself haven't seen it in years and would find it very amusing, but that's just me. I'd get more out of that than watching some fake booby woman pretend like fat ol' Sammy is turning her on. And I don't need videos of half-naked woman (or midgets for that matter) to have a good time and get me cheering for a show. If the band is any good, that's all you need. Van Halen back in the day didn't need any props to bring the party to town. Sammy always seems to be to be trying to be funny, but just not getting there.

It seems to me from the reviews that I've read that the people who are showing up at these shows are not necessarily fans of Dave and Sammy's solo stuff as much as they are of Van Halen. So until you get either Sammy or Dave with Ed, Al, and Mike up on stage, you're not going to get Van Halen at any of these shows and that's the vibe that's missing.
    I think that's it exactly. This tour was designed to be all about VH (or rather, Dave and Sam's involvement in VH). I haven't seen the tour yet, and won't for a few weeks, but I have no illusions about Dave's performance. I think it'll be no less than excellent, but it won't be Van Halen. I've seen a lot of concerts over the last 25+ years; one that stands out the most to me is VH in 1982. The working chemistry that drove that original line-up jumped right off the stage at you. That doesn't mean Dave or Sam won't deliver, but it won't be exactly the same.
    DEAD OR ALIVE!!!

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

I see the stiffness and lack of spontanious bantor between songs is because Dave is working without a net... or fear of the slightest mistake.

The guys he's hired are just that hired guns playing 2nd fiddle. Dave's the boss and that's that...

Allow Dave to go off into Dave's universe and there's no one to reel him back in if things get outside the zone...

Frankly the more I read about the tour reviews I'm seriously considering skipping this deal when it rolls into San Antonio. I've seen Dave w/ VH 6 times and twice solo. I've seen Sammy w/ VH 5 times. Haven't seen Sammy solo since pre-VH days.

So for me, I don't have a DLR void to fill on the material he's presenting... I've seen the real deal. Nothing even in the one-liners in interviews is new... sorry but in my book that's stagnant and pathetic for such a formerly creative force!!

The whole mystic value of seeing a live show is the spontanious moments and interaction with the crowd that makes it special. So far... from the reviews it appears to me you could either run a video of Dave's performance or one of those Disney mechanical recreations and get the same canned prepackaged effect... That's not the Van Halen 1978-1984 spirit I experienced... nor want to pay good money for a reasonable facimily!!

Your milage may vary!!
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Originally posted by ETRIGAN:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Zahzoo:

Your milage may vary!!
    If you ever saw Dave with VH twice on the same tour you know that everything Dave did was scripted down to the "I'll fuck your girlfriend" and the "I forgot the fuckin words"!. The 1st night it seems funny and spontaneous. The second night it seems scripted and it kinda takes away from the experience.</font>[/QUOTE]I agree wholeheartedly!! I've seen Dave on the same tour and the same antics. Some of them even carried over from one tour to the next. Almost every artist has their canned things they bring with em for entertainment value. But the key to successfully pulling them off is timing and working the crowd. From what I'm hearing is Dave is pulling the same stunts at the same time each outing. It just doesn't sound like he's working the crowd as much as just going through the motions.

In the past, without the internet and instant media coverage most fans didn't know one show to the next that their experience wasn't exactly unique. Not so today...

Dave used to have a nak for working an audience... sounds to me he's just going through the motions so far on this tour... IMO.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Zahzoo:
    I see the stiffness and lack of spontanious bantor between songs is because Dave is working without a net... or fear of the slightest mistake.

The guys he's hired are just that hired guns playing 2nd fiddle. Dave's the boss and that's that...

Allow Dave to go off into Dave's universe and there's no one to reel him back in if things get outside the zone...

Frankly the more I read about the tour reviews I'm seriously considering skipping this deal when it rolls into San Antonio. I've seen Dave w/ VH 6 times and twice solo. I've seen Sammy w/ VH 5 times. Haven't seen Sammy solo since pre-VH days.

So for me, I don't have a DLR void to fill on the material he's presenting... I've seen the real deal. Nothing even in the one-liners in interviews is new... sorry but in my book that's stagnant and pathetic for such a formerly creative force!!

The whole mystic value of seeing a live show is the spontanious moments and interaction with the crowd that makes it special. So far... from the reviews it appears to me you could either run a video of Dave's performance or one of those Disney mechanical recreations and get the same canned prepackaged effect... That's not the Van Halen 1978-1984 spirit I experienced... nor want to pay good money for a reasonable facimily!!

Your milage may vary!!
    If you ever saw Dave with VH twice on the same tour you know that everything Dave did was scripted down to the "I'll fuck your girlfriend" and the "I forgot the fuckin words"!. The 1st night it seems funny and spontaneous. The second night it seems scripted and it kinda takes away from the experience.
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

TOP JIMMY
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hear ya but a least hes out playing the old stuff with good musicians that can play it right.
    SOME MOTHER FUCKER DOWN HERE THREW HIS NASTY CHEWING TOBACO UP HERE ON STAGE BUT THATS ALL RIGHT BECAUSE I KNOW WHO IT WAS AND AFTER THE SHOW IM GONNA FUCK YOUR GIRL FRIEND PAL

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

07.07.13 @ 04:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Classic Van Halen is Classic Van Halen...

Lightning in a fucking bottle...

But the DLR Band is second to none in talent.

Ray Luzier is one of the best drummers out there. He is a sought after drummer. Not only that, but he's one of the nicest guys on the planet.

And Brian can fucking play...just listen for those of you who are lucky enough to catch this tour.
    EUAS

"I remember those days at the Links when everything you posted on EUAS was like the fucking communist manifesto"--ICON--2002

Unchained
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

The sad thing is that no matter who is singing at any given time, when it's Sammy singing Dave songs, it's not the same, great to hear the song, but just not the same.

And for as great as it was when Gary went out and sang tunes from both the Sammy and Dave eras, it was great to hear Eddie and Alex and Mike play those songs with Gary singing them, but still not the same as with Sammy or Dave singing them.

There are lots of different types of marriages in this world, and when people split up in them, there are consequences afterwards.

It's like me going to my Mom's in the summer, her new husband BBQ'ing for us, and while he's a great cook, and I appreciate him slaving over the grill so I can strap on the feedbag, he'll never beat my Dad's hamburgers that he cooks on the grill.

That same way I want to hear Dave sing Mean Street, I want to hear Sammy sing Cabo Wabo, and I want to hear Ed, Al and Mike play the music while they sing em. Does that mean I don't like Gary? No, I dig his work with Extreme that is way more like the earlier VH I grew up on. But I can still appreciate and enjoy what he did in VH for what it was.

Same with Dave's touring band or Sammy's Waborita bunch, they're great at what they do, I just prefer the original recipe. That said, I have seen Dave's band, as well as the Wabo's kick some major ass on VH tunes, as VH tunes just inspire people who play music to kick ass, plain and simple!

As far as Dave performing better with VH, it's a given, while I imagine he was almost as jacked playing with the Eat Em and Smile band. Sammy too to a point.

Dave started with VH, so that's his yardstick he measures by. Sammy has Montrose, his solo career, and then VH, followed by the Wabos, to measure against. For Dave it's kind of like starting off as a mountain climber and making it to the top of Everest early on in your climbing career. The smaller peakes, while they push you and bring enjoyment, may not seem as rewarding or give the same kind of charge the big climb brought.

I know even the worst singer of us on this site, given the chance to sing with Eddie, Alex and Mike jamming behind us, would sing like we never had before. Their music and the way they play it and the fun they have playing it just flows into whoever is on that lead microphone, bringing the best out of anyone fronting the mighty VH!
    John 3:16, Can You Dig It?

People, the 6 wings of the Mighty Van Halen will fly again! Can You Dig It?

You gotta give more than you take! Can You Dig it?

And underneath the arch, it turned into a march,
    and there He found a spark to set this fucker off!
    Set it off, set it off now children,set if off!

We are down the road! I Can Dig It! Can You?

On Fire
    Galveston Island (2 miles south of TEXAS)
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

sinners swing
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Top Jimmy 1
    I'm kind of curious if anyone out there would agree with me on this. From what I can tell by the reviews of Dave's show, is that he seems a little stiff and is "rushing" the show with little talk. Also, some say that he acts like something is not right, or missing. Indeed! Eddie, Mike, and Big Al. Dave is performing all VH tunes with the exception of "Yankee Rose", and he's doing it with a bunch of guys who he picked up from tribute bands, bar bands, and auditions. If Dave came out on the stage with the original line-up behind him, I'd bet you anything that his performance would be 200% better. Simply because of the spirit factor. Now Dave is performing the old VH catalog with the spirit of what use to be fueling him along. But with the actual guys on the same stage, playing the music, and egging each other on, it would push Dave to new creative heights. I have performed over the years with quite a few different bands, mostly blues rock type things, but also Old school stuff, like VH, Zep, Aerosmith, etc. High energy stuff. Depending on which band I was playing with a lot of times would dictate on how well I would perform. Some bands were better than others, and some of the bands had a chemistry that only existed within certain members. I don't mean to compare my experiences to those of the mighty VH, but I can tell you that it makes a big difference. Crowd acceptance as well is a huge factor. These guys feed off of the crowd response. And I dare say that the crowd response at a VH reunion would be off the hook to say the very least. Plus the equipment would be top notch, and the biggest factor would be that Eddie would be on the guitar instead of Brian Young. Alex drumming instead of Ray Luzier. Mike Anthony on bass instead of James Lamenzo. For those of you who have never had the chance to hear them together with Dave, there's just nothing else like it. Even when Dave messed up, (hey the guys human) it still was cool, because it was Van Halen. Now when Dave messes up, all of the focus goes on Dave because no one really is that focused on the rest of the band. They are there basically to see Dave. I don't mean to put Dave's band down because they are very capable musicians, but they are not Van Halen. It's just that simple. I mean when Dave is on stage now and they are playing "So This Is Love?", and he walks over to Brian Young, when it use to be Eddie. I'm sure even Dave must think to himself, man sure would be nice........... so it surely must affect his performance without the rest of the original gang there. I'm waiting with high hopes. Peace................
    First of all, James isn't playing bass anymore. Dave does several solo songs (Goin Crazy, Shoo Bop, Just a Gigolo, California Girls, Yankee Rose,etc..) Not just Yankee Rose. Besides, all those old "van halen" songs are Dave'e as well.
    I'll bet Ed thinks the same thing whenever Sam is butchering Unchained or Panama! A reunion would be great.
    "The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit." -David Lee Roth

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:31 PM
    Liked 1,612 Times in 992 Posts

Donor

Another 3 year old thread. Read the archives, kids.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Vintage thread Almost as old as DLR himself

Favorite VH Album

VH1,Balance,FW,and VH3
    Favorite VH Song

Panama,without you and IAT
    Last Online

05.17.11 @ 11:41 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

boy bringing up 3 yr old threads.....we really need something new to talk about.come VH ur killing us over here
    Rock on MotherFucker!!!!!!
    Official VH Links Van Halen 3 fan

Bands I Have Seen Live:
    Van Halen The Smashup
    Twisted Sister Sanctity
    Loverboy Into Eternity
    WASP 2X Overkill
    LA Guns Arch Eenemy
    Stephen Percy Opeth
    Collective Soul Lamb Of God
    Motley Crue 3x Megadeth
    Queensryche 2x Aerosmith
    Amon Amarth Angels & Airwaves
    Trivium
    Children Of Bodom
    Still Remains
    Suffocation
    It Dies Today
    Poison The Well
    Shadows Fall

Unchained
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Old news is good news..........just a little play on the standard canned reply we used to recieve to most of our VH queries in the past, to the old-schoolers around here.
    John 3:16, Can You Dig It?

People, the 6 wings of the Mighty Van Halen will fly again! Can You Dig It?

You gotta give more than you take! Can You Dig it?

And underneath the arch, it turned into a march,
    and there He found a spark to set this fucker off!
    Set it off, set it off now children,set if off!

We are down the road! I Can Dig It! Can You?