Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.19 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 268 Times in 188 Posts

A few thoughts/Questions:

1. Van Halen shouldn't be making music for the fans. They should be making music for themselves. While I believe that every artist should be grateful for their fans, I don't think they should let their fans determine what they do, when they do it, and who they do it with. Like anything else, if we like it, we'll buy it. If we don't, we won't.

2. Does Dave suck that much live? I didn't catch them on the last tour (as a matter of fact, haven't seen them since 1993). Is his range that off nowadays, or is it just because of the overbearing personality? Or is it just our perception?

3. I think Sammy would be very well received, and I must admit how embarrassed I am, because i recently read that Hagar did rejoin Van Halen from 2003-2005. I am sure I knew this, and just forgot it, but why did that not work out?

4. If you go a few tabs over to the Non-VH music form, you will find many of us (myself included) talking crap about Stephen Pearcy (Ratt), Sebastian Bach (Skid Row), Vince Neil (Motley Crue) and how fat and out of shape they are, how their voices are shot, etc., etc. I think it's fair to say that everyone on this board is a Van Halen fan, die-hard or at least casual fan, and while we bash VH for NOT releasing new music and/or touring/performing, we very same posters bash those from the same era that do release new music and/or tour/perform. You can't win either way.

5. Maybe EVH just physically can't do it anymore. It's no secret that he wasn't kind to his body over the years. He's been an avid smoker and drinking enthusiast for decades. I mean, I'm 46 years old, I wasn't an athlete in school and have suffered no broken bones. I haven't done anything that would be remotely considered social drinking since I was about 31, I work in an office so I would hardly say there's anything physically challenging that I do, and I haven't done any form of recreational drug use since high school experimentation. All of this and I barely have the motivation and/or energy to mow the lawn or work on other household projects. I am sure some of you are the same way. So why do we criticize the band for essentially doing the same thing, knowing they are anywhere from 10-30 years older than most of the posters on this board?
    Last edited by Naked Wake; 04.15.19 at 02:38 PM.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

10.22.19 @ 11:45 AM
    Liked 4,216 Times in 2,684 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Wake View Post
    A few thoughts/Questions:

1. Van Halen shouldn't be making music for the fans. They should be making music for themselves. While I believe that every artist should be grateful for their fans, I don't think they should let their fans determine what they do, when they do it, and who they do it with. Like anything else, if we like it, we'll buy it. If we don't, we won't.

2. Does Dave suck that much live? I didn't catch them on the last tour (as a matter of fact, haven't seen them since 1993). Is his range that off nowadays, or is it just because of the overbearing personality? Or is it just our perception?

3. I think Sammy would be very well received, and I must admit how embarrassed I am, because i recently read that Hagar did rejoin Van Halen from 2003-2005. I am sure I knew this, and just forgot it, but why did that not work out?

4. If you go a few tabs over to the Non-VH music form, you will find many of us (myself included) talking crap about Stephen Pearcy (Ratt), Sebastian Bach (Skid Row), Vince Neil (Motley Crue) and how fat and out of shape they are, how their voices are shot, etc., etc. I think it's fair to say that everyone on this board is a Van Halen fan, die-hard or at least casual fan, and while we bash VH for NOT releasing new music and/or touring/performing, we very same posters bash those from the same era that do release new music and/or tour/perform. You can't win either way.

5. Maybe EVH just physically can't do it anymore. It's no secret that he wasn't kind to his body over the years. He's been an avid smoker and drinking enthusiast for decades. I mean, I'm 46 years old, I wasn't an athlete in school and have suffered no broken bones. I haven't done anything that would be remotely considered social drinking since I was about 31, I work in an office so I would hardly say there's anything physically challenging that I do, and I haven't done any form of recreational drug use since high school experimentation. All of this and I barely have the motivation and/or energy to mow the lawn or work on other household projects. I am sure some of you are the same way. So why do we criticize the band for essentially doing the same thing, knowing they are anywhere from 10-30 years older than most of the posters on this board?
    The trick is to release new music that's good. Some artists do. Some don't. Some vary.

Dave is hit and miss, just like he's always been. A lot of miss on the '12 and '15 tours. A lot of hit on the '07 tour. It is what it is.

04 didn't work out 'cause Eddie was at the bottom of his barrel.

I don't think it's because EVH doesn't have the wherewithal anymore. He may not have the motivation anymore.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.11.19 @ 05:06 PM
    Liked 24,953 Times in 14,173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH1986 View Post
    Aren't you the same guy in another thread that accused me of being some other poster? I tried to reply but the thread was shut down. Anyway, that is not the case.
    I was just messing with you because that post of yours that I replied to reminded me of a former poster with multiple aliases. I'm glad to hear you are not him/them.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.11.19 @ 01:26 PM
    Liked 330 Times in 146 Posts

Donor

These days, zero. There was a time though where Mike was logged on here and posted, and Al snooped around incognito too. They were reading threads. Were they influenced? Doubt it....maybe a little? Possibly. Who knows. Put it this way- If they were completely unaware and totally aloof to this place and the web in general, Brett wouldn't have been sitting in Cafe' Wah getting to see Van Halen play in a club, invited by David Lee Roth.....so yeah, there's that! :-)
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    These days, zero. There was a time though where Mike was logged on here and posted, and Al snooped around incognito too. They were reading threads. Were they influenced? Doubt it....maybe a little? Possibly. Who knows. Put it this way- If they were completely unaware and totally aloof to this place and the web in general, Brett wouldn't have been sitting in Cafe' Wah getting to see Van Halen play in a club, invited by David Lee Roth.....so yeah, there's that! :-)
    Did Brett actually go to the Café Wah gig? I thought he gave his passes to James In New York.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Did Brett actually go to the Café Wah gig? I thought he gave his passes to James In New York.
    He did. I think Brett went to the LA industry invite only dress rehearsal gig at the forum. If I recall, that's where he met Wolfie.

But Seen's right about the band knowing about the site, of course. They've all visited quietly, Mike more than most. Sam's def lurked. Heck, maybe even Gary's stopped by. Though I hope not too much for his own sense of self image sanity.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 04.15.19 at 03:50 PM.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.11.19 @ 01:26 PM
    Liked 330 Times in 146 Posts

Donor

Didn't he?? He went somewhere by invitation I think....maybe that was back out west. Oh well. Details get fuzzy in my old age I guess, but the point remains. Ask James if the VH engine acknowledges the interweb. lol
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    Didn't he?? He went somewhere by invitation I think....maybe that was back out west. Oh well. Details get fuzzy in my old age I guess, but the point remains. Ask James if the VH engine acknowledges the interweb. lol
    The Forum gig.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.19 @ 05:47 AM
    Liked 11,964 Times in 6,717 Posts

Ed is 64. He's retired, like most 64 years olds. Nothing wrong with that.

14. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    He did. I think Brett went to the LA industry invite only dress rehearsal gig at the forum. If I recall, that's where he met Wolfie.

But Seen's right about the band knowing about the site, of course. They've all visited quietly, Mike more than most. Sam's def lurked. Heck, maybe even Gary's stopped by. Though I hope not too much for his own sense of self image sanity.
    Was that the one at The Forum where Zakk Wylde was in front of the stage and Dave basically asked him "Who the f@#% are you?"

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Donor

Was that the one at The Forum where Zakk Wylde was in front of the stage and Dave basically asked him "Who the f@#% are you?"
    Not sure about that. There were 2 Links exclusive invites extended to Brett and his discretionary powers, if I recall. I believe Sarge at the Army and Jeff at the VHND got them as well. One invite to the Cafe Wha New York gig, another to the industry dress rehearsal gig at the Forum in LA.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Not sure about that. There were 2 Links exclusive invites extended to Brett and his discretionary powers, if I recall. I believe Sarge at the Army and Jeff at the VHND got them as well. One invite to the Cafe Wha New York gig, another to the industry dress rehearsal gig at the Forum in LA.
    Here it is …

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.12.19 @ 05:50 AM
    Liked 14,209 Times in 7,737 Posts

Here it is …

That one was 2007. The one at the Forum Brett went to and met Wolf, and the Cafe Wha that James went to, were both in 2012.

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    That one was 2007. The one at the Forum Brett went to and met Wolf, and the Cafe Wha that James went to, were both in 2012.
    You are correct.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Love Walks In
    Last Online

12.03.19 @ 06:18 PM
    Liked 323 Times in 210 Posts

Premium Member

I was just messing with you because that post of yours that I replied to reminded me of a former poster with multiple aliases. I'm glad to hear you are not him/them.
    All is well, man. I do love the Sammy years a bit more than the Dave years. Nothing against Dave or that era, I love it. I came of age with 5150 and it just lit my fire. Glad to be on the board.