Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 27343536373839 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

09.15.19 @ 07:05 PM
    Liked 2,870 Times in 1,371 Posts

I finally got around to listening to this whole album. I went in really wanting to like it, I like a lot of Sammyís stuff.
    But to be honest, I found the album very pedestrian. Thereís parts of songs I like, but the only full song I think is good from top to bottom is Affirmation. That song really puts Mike and Sammy and how good they sound together on display.
    But most everything else feels largely just disjointed and thrown together, the flows are basic, you can tell there was nothing pushing them to leave any kind of lasting impression
    Some songs have decent verses then the chorus comes and it crashes the momentum

Iím glad a lot like it and the album and tour are doing well, but the album is mostly forgettable to me and probably wonít be listened to again unless it pops up in Apple Music radio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eruption
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 201 Times in 138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DFVH5150 View Post
    The hell is Sammy saying in between the songs anyway? Letters? Been meaning to ask and haven't seen it mentioned.

Reminds me of:

A little late, as I was travelling the past weeks. But I know what you mean. Just before tracks 6 and 9, Sam speaks the letters c and b. In the CD booklet he does mention a "mental puzzle":
    I've also buried some hidden treasures in there to help stimulate the minds of those who enjoy a good mental puzzle

But besides those two letters, I have no clue... Guess it needs a few more spins at high volume

Eruption
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 201 Times in 138 Posts

On the album itself, it's good. Better then most of the last few, however.

Just a little confused that some songs are incredibly short, Devil Came to Philly and Hey Hey are pretty much the same song, probably meant to frame the "concept" of the album. Both are half-songs IMO.

Just yesterday, I actually heard Trust Fund Baby on the radio. That was cool, rather than hearing Jump or WCTBL all the time.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

09.15.19 @ 12:41 PM
    Liked 1,292 Times in 824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sek View Post
    A little late, as I was travelling the past weeks. But I know what you mean. Just before tracks 6 and 9, Sam speaks the letters c and b. In the CD booklet he does mention a "mental puzzle":
    I've also buried some hidden treasures in there to help stimulate the minds of those who enjoy a good mental puzzle

But besides those two letters, I have no clue... Guess it needs a few more spins at high volume
    That's right--the liner notes. Forgot about that.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Last Online

09.15.19 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 10,705 Times in 5,886 Posts

Premium Member

Sammy Hagar (The Red Rocker)
    1 hr ∑
    Thanks to our friends at Apple Music, Space Between is available for a limited time at the special price of $5.99.

Grab yours, or get one for a friend today! https://SammyHagar.lnk.to/SpaceBetween/itunes

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

09.13.19 @ 10:19 AM
    Liked 2,300 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sek View Post
    On the album itself, it's good. Better then most of the last few, however.

Just a little confused that some songs are incredibly short, Devil Came to Philly and Hey Hey are pretty much the same song, probably meant to frame the "concept" of the album. Both are half-songs IMO.

Just yesterday, I actually heard Trust Fund Baby on the radio. That was cool, rather than hearing Jump or WCTBL all the time.

I think both of those songs are book ends so to speak, I think Devil Came to Philly serves more as an intro to Chump Change (I could be totally wrong on that though).

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

09.15.19 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 9,035 Times in 6,490 Posts

Premium Member

I like the cd more and more. It's not VH and not trying to be...
    The overall vibe is pretty cool, and I like the fact that product is out for consumption and a tour is underway.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.14.19 @ 08:40 PM
    Liked 2,182 Times in 1,225 Posts

I went to Philly the last couple of days, but didn't see any devil there.
    Little Dreamer

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

09.13.19 @ 10:19 AM
    Liked 2,300 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I went to Philly the last couple of days, but didn't see any devil there.
    the song doesn't say he still resides in Philly does it?

Last Online

Premium Member

52 mins ∑
    Sammy sat down with Forbes for an in-depth interview and to premiere the video for "No Worries" (chapter 7) from The Circle's debut studio album, Space Between!

"...the enlightenment moment is when you are sitting there with nothing and you realize it's not so bad. "This is better than when I was rich and powerful and all the hassles I had and f**king people and getting f**ked and all that stuff." When you got nothing you're just sitting there going., "Wow, I don't have any worries." I came from that place so I know that it does exist. It's not where I am today, but it was important in my story. "

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

Sammy Hagar And The Circle Have 'No Worries'

"We're so lucky to have been from that era where we sold 10s of millions of records and made gazillions of dollars and get yourself in a position where now it's just art for me," Sammy Hagar says of he and his Circle band mates -- bassist Michael Anthony, drummer Jason Bonham and guitarist Vic Johnson.

Hagar isn't trying to be boastful. He considers himself fortunate because having built up a sizable audience with songs like "I Can't Drive 55," "There's Only One Way To Rock" and "Mas Tequila" and his multi-platinum success with Van Halen, Hagar has earned a creative freedom.

Take the video premiering here, "No Worries," off the Circle Space Between album. Hagar explains below in our in-depth interview it is part of a feature-length film he created with Z.Z. Satriani, son of guitar icon Joe Satriani.

I spoke with Hagar about utilizing that artistic freedom, how he applies the " No Worries" mantra to his own life, being happier as he gets older and his deep appreciation for Bruce Springsteen.

Steve Baltin: You learn some things by a certain age.

Sammy Hagar: Yes you do. I'll be the first one to stand up and say, "Old age, if you're healthy, is awesome." I'm smarter, I get it, I can do more things. I'm not spinning wheels like when I was in my 40s. I was just trying, fame and fortune, that's all I was just chasing as fast as I could, leaving all kinds of good stuff behind and missing all kinds of s**t, missing even my first kids growing up. My second runaround with my girls, 23 and 18 now, just left for college, I got to enjoy them so much more than my first son, who I enjoy more now. But growing up I was running and spinning wheels, so it's really cool when you get older and get mellow I'm like, "Got it all, I'm all cool, starting to enjoy life a little bit, I'm happy."

Baltin: Which ties in nicely with the video we are premiering, "No Worries."

Hagar: It's like a metaphor. In the album Space Between, I wrote a concept record about money, greed, enlightenment and truth. What happens is, in the songs, the guy lost everything. He was on top of the world, kicking ass, but he was an a**hole and greedy and it went to his head. Then he got bumped out of everything and it took that to have the enlightenment moment cause the enlightenment moment is when you are sitting there with nothing and you realize it's not so bad. "This is better than when I was rich and powerful and all the hassles I had and f**king people and getting f**ked and all that stuff." When you got nothing you're just sitting there going., "Wow, I don't have any worries." I came from that place so I know that it does exist. It's not where I am today, but it was important in my story. And the video cracks me up because we took a businessman and took his tie and put it around his head, he starts doing cartwheels down the street. I love it, I love enlightenment, that song to me is about that. You can really live that way if you can figure it out, but otherwise you gotta go through some s**t to get there. Most people start there, but they don't realize it was a pretty good place to be, "No Worries." It's kind of my lifestyle now, but I didn't have to go through all that to get it.

Baltin: It's a very romantic notion to throw it all away and start over, especially in this day and age. Certainly there is a lot of that in the music business, which can make you crazy.

Hagar: To be honest with you, I think the business world is more brutally dangerous and treacherous than the music industry. There were so many crooks in the early days of record companies, lawyers and managers and record companies and all these people that stole your money and gave you bad deals. But, man, you start going out there and playing with the big boys in the investment world there ain't nobody looking out for you. You're on your own and you can make some big mistakes. To me it's scarier. When you make a fortune in your life, which is going back to Space Between, it's about this guy that made this fortune and then you start saying, "I want more." And you start trying to figure out ways to get it to where you're not realizing how you got it. When you're an artist the way you got it was through creativity and being this wonderful life; rock and roll, you get to go out on tour and play and all these wonderful things happening for you. If you make it in that world that's the good life. Then you say, "Well, I want more." You can't get anymore that way, maybe your career starts getting over, so you start looking at business and, whew, that's dangerous. You can end up with one false move and you're like, "Whoa, gone." I haven't, but I have seen it.

Baltin: But you are in a great place musically now where you have total freedom and can communicate directly with your fans.

Hagar: For the people that have made it and are in a position like myself and my band mates in the Circle we're fine. We're so lucky to have been from that era where we sold 10s of millions of records and made gazillions of dollars and get yourself in a position where now it's just art for me. It's just fun, it's what I love to do. The creative side of me feels safe. I always think of my audience as I could probably get away with doing anything I want. If I wanted to make s soul record, an R&B record I could do it; if I wanted to make a blues record, if I wanted to make a jazz record I could do it. And maybe it wouldn't be as big a seller as the Circle with Space Between cause it was a rock record. But they wouldn't abandon me, they'd still come and see me and I could probably just turn it around and say, "Okay, now I'll make a rock record for you." It'd all be okay. For some people, when you're starting out, you make a mistake and you're done. It's crazy out there, it is the wild west. But I love being able to do whatever I want whenever I want. I gotta tell you, I'm spoiled rotten. Man, I don't know what I would do if I had to what I do for a living and they said, "You gotta go out and do 130 shows this year cause you're gonna go broke, you're gonna lose your band." I'm lucky and my band mates are lucky. We get along, we like each other believe it or not (laughs). That's the good part too. Most bands hate each other by the time they've played together five years, but we haven't burnt ourselves out by trying to make it more with disappointing situations. The experiences have been fantastic. Just for instance making this little movie that this video is from, this video is from a movie I made, full length, of the album called Space Between: The Affirmation. And Z.Z. Satriani, who's Joe Satriani's son, who just graduated from film school, did something for Ferrari I saw and it blew my mind, so I hired him and we wrote this movie. It was expensive and I paid for everything. This is a concept record and I wanted to make sure people understand what I'm really trying to say and I wanted to drive it home visually. It had nothing to do with money, it was purely a labor of love. It's really good. The four videos we have released, including "No Worries," they're all from it. And it's a story.

Baltin: So when will you release the whole film?

Hagar: There's no market for it. I don't know what to do with it. I would like to take it around to film festivals, but I don't have time. Maybe next year. It's just really hard to get any traction with anything unusual today cause there is no machine. There is no Ahmet Ertegun saying, "Put the hammer down, this is going to happen, we're gonna make this go."

Baltin: But as you also say you can make a soul record. I spoke with Paul Stanley, from KISS, about making a soul record. You made a film. Bruce Springsteen didn't want to tour Western Stars so he made a film for it. The flip side of no machine is big artists have so much creative freedom.

Hagar: The success, being able to do it your own way like Springsteen, my favorite artist too by the way, a guy like Bruce can make a record like The Ghost Of Tom Joad, an acoustic record, after being in the E Street Band, one of the most exciting f**king rock and roll things happening on the planet, he's playing stadiums and he comes back and does something like that and tours by himself. That wasn't that successful relative to where he was at that time, that whole project, but it didn't matter. This is Bruce, he's gotten his respect and he's made it, so now he can be an artist. Neil Young does the same kind of stuff. I kind of do the stuff, I'm not as adventurous as those guys, it's not my wheelhouse. I pick up an acoustic guitar and I can entertain you for about 20 minutes (laughs). I'm not so good. I watched Springsteen On Broadway last night and it was just," This guy's a genius. He's better than everyone." He's so damn believable and he's sitting there telling you he's full of s**t. He's telling you he's never been in the factory, he's writing about stuff he's never done and he's good enough to even say that and you're gonna go, "Yep, you are that good you f**ker." The only thing I gotta dog him on is he's too serious. If I was hanging around Bruce, I'd say, "Smile a little bit, come on, have some fun. Let's go hit the beach, have a couple of cocktails, eat some tacos."

Baltin: You have to get him out to play your beach party, High Tide Beach Party.

Hagar: (Cracks up) Bruce ain't gonna play my beach thing. If I could get Bruce, Bruce would be there. I love the guy. I saw the Born To Run tour, two nights in Berkeley, changed my life. "When I grow up I want to be that guy." And I'm older than him, but I'm sitting there going, "This guy is all grown up, he gets it, he knows who he is." He's a prime example of what you can do if you have made it over that hump.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveba...s#1589d1f0718c

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

09.15.19 @ 12:15 PM
    Liked 263 Times in 158 Posts

Interesting. I never took Sammy to be a Springsteen fan. Glad he is, but just didn't think he would be. To me he's not quite the right groove for Sammy.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

09.15.19 @ 12:41 PM
    Liked 1,292 Times in 824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    52 mins ∑
    Sammy sat down with Forbes for an in-depth interview and to premiere the video for "No Worries" (chapter 7) from The Circle's debut studio album, Space Between!

"...the enlightenment moment is when you are sitting there with nothing and you realize it's not so bad. "This is better than when I was rich and powerful and all the hassles I had and f**king people and getting f**ked and all that stuff." When you got nothing you're just sitting there going., "Wow, I don't have any worries." I came from that place so I know that it does exist. It's not where I am today, but it was important in my story. "

Such a great fucking version of a great fucking song. Wanted them to play it on the tour so bad...
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

09.14.19 @ 04:29 PM
    Liked 26,153 Times in 13,205 Posts

Premium Member

That is probably the best song on the album.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

09.15.19 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 9,035 Times in 6,490 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    That is probably the best song on the album.
    It's definitely up there.
    The liberating theme is right in my wheelhouse these days, minus the $100 Million that Sammy has tucked away to coast on...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

22. The Following Member Likes This Post: