Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.19.19 @ 09:56 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default New-to-me Wolfgang standard, Volume pot problem

hey all, another new guy here. i've got an issue with my new to me wolfgang standard that i'm hoping someone can help with.

i just picked up a used one (lefty) on reverb for a really good price. the seller listed it as "mint", which condition wise, it is. it doesn't look like it's ever been played. trem bar and allen wrenches were still sealed in a bag, not a mark on it anywhere. beautiful shape.. except for what i believe to be a bad volume pot. while rotating the vol knob, the sound would cut in and out and crackle a bit. not what i would consider "mint", but at the same time it's not a big enough deal to return it. pots are cheap, right? easy enough to fix so i ordered up a replacement, an evh wolfgang 500k pot. the logic here was to avoid any fitment or other possible issues and just get the evh wg pot for my evh wg guitar, even though they cost more. well, sadly, the evh pot doesn't fit. the shaft won't fit through the hole in the body and the knob won't fit on the end. even more sadly, i didn't realize this until i had removed the old one and installed the new one. a guess a test fit would've been wise before busting out the soldering iron.. dummy.

anyway, the evh one is still in there. the thing is, i tested it by plugging the guitar into my amp and it still has the same issue of cutting in/out. it also sends signal even when the volume is turned all the way off, so i can hear the guitar through the amp with it turned all the way to the off position. all my connections are solid, grounds too. another thing i noticed, i get a hum noise similar to when you first plug your guitar in, when i would touch the end of the shaft with my finger or against the aluminum foil lining inside the cavity. is it possible that the pot wouldn't work properly if it wasn't installed all the way? does it need to be grounded or in-contact with the body? since it won't fit through the body, it's just hanging in the cavity until i can replace it with another one. i'm starting to wonder if the pot isn't the problem here, but i don't know what else it could be. any insight is much appreciated. thanks guys.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

got her fixed. i took the original bad one to a local shop yesterday and was able to match it up with one on the shelf. installed it last night, works great. spent the next hour or so working on the solo from "somebody get me a doctor". Those volume swells are a good test.. handled them just fine. i'd like the sound to fade in/out a bit better, but it'll do. now if i can just get the rest of the solo down...

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Last Online

04.12.19 @ 05:25 AM
    Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts

Glad you got it fixed. In my experience attempting to clean the pot often times will resolve issues. Quick and easy to do and may save time and having to replace original parts. I have had a couple if times over the years that I thought I had a bad pot, but a quick squirt of cleaner fixed it all up.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

good to know, thanks. i'll remember that for next time if i have troubles again. i'll definitely try that before tearing into things.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.26.19 @ 01:51 AM
    Liked 15,726 Times in 6,834 Posts

Sometimes even turning the knob back-and-forth several times will fix the issue with dust and such getting in there.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

yeah i tried that several times but it just didn't do the trick. it was definitely a bad pot, which is difficult to imagine given the condition of the guitar, but things happen. electronics fail, i see it every day in my line of work. regardless, i learned some new tips and tricks so i consider it a win win. and my guitar now works like it should! thanks again guys!