Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

07.19.19 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 297 Times in 165 Posts

Default New Roth Interview (Forbes)

"My anxieties in terms of revenge and fear are very specific and tangible. I'm not complaining about the man, I'm not upset about injustice. I'm pissed at the wristwatch, it's a little too fast, like ten years too fast. Can you dig? I'm pissed at the calendar. It should slow down a little bit, especially the good days. I'm pissed on those days off when I feel my age, 60 going on 90. Does that make sense?"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveba.../#422f435a74b4
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do … " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

06.23.19 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts

Not sure I agree with his assessments of the other frontmen, except maybe Springsteen. Someone is certainly imitating Robert Plant now!

Last Online

07.21.19 @ 12:38 AM
    Liked 3,656 Times in 2,298 Posts

Donor

Lol. Leave it to D-Ro to slag Elvis and McCartney to promote his ‘Eurocentric’ roots in music.

Good Enough
    Last Online

07.21.19 @ 03:24 AM
    Liked 1,738 Times in 998 Posts

"Steven Tyler doesn't dance?" Dave's officially crazy! All Steven Tyler DOES is dance! I would call what Dave did "running around," but Steven Tyler actually had rhythm!

"Elvis only has one Diamond album, and it was a Christmas album, he didn't write the songs." Oh, God. Does Dave think he's bigger than Elvis now?

Now to see what's in the Miami Ultra thread...that video...lord.

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

07.14.19 @ 09:50 PM
    Liked 4,093 Times in 2,561 Posts

His take on the front men is simply ignorant.
    Elvis didn't have huge selling albums because 45's were the vinyl of choice in his heyday.

Dave...jeez...this is more embarrassing than that overblown Ultra video.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

07.20.19 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 2,328 Times in 1,234 Posts

Ffs, Dave. Blah blah blah. The shit he says don't even make sense.
    ☩ ☩ ☩

10. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

07.21.19 @ 04:44 AM
    Liked 10,321 Times in 5,642 Posts

Premium Member

David Lee Roth On David Bowie, Steven Tyler, Van Halen And Fighting Time

A conversation with Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth cannot be contained in one article. One 45-minute meeting with the engaging and energetic Roth is the gift that never stops giving for a journalist.

In the midst of my fascinating and lengthy joint conversation with Roth and iconic DJ Armin Van Buuren in advance of their Ultra appearance (https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveba.../#3c233d344ce8) there were several other fascinating points that Roth brought up, from his take on some of his fellow Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame frontmen, from Steven Tyler to David Bowie to speaking at length about where the edge that fueled Van Halen and fuels him today comes from. And he has a lot to say about performing, the mindset he gets into and how he prepares to take the stage as only David Lee Roth can.

David Lee Roth: I'm one of a half-dozen frontmen that after two beers the whole world can imitate. Everybody has a David Lee Roth imitation, just like you have a [Mick] Jagger imitation and now you have a Freddie [Mercury] imitation.

Baltin: Who are the other frontmen?

Roth: Nobody imitates Steven Tyler or Robert Plant. Those are static singers that are a little bit closer to a [Frank] Sinatra. I've been dancing, they don't dance. They perform and they present a little closer to what [David] Bowie did. Bowie didn't dance either. Neither does [Bruce] Springsteen. Springsteen is a job site foreman at a construction site (laughs). I'll imitate. [Walks around] "Finish those gaskets, Armin, I'm buying lunch." They don't dance.

Baltin: Who were your performing role models?

Roth: When I was doing rock and roll and learning stage craft we were imitating all the European act, who were schooled from old British music hall and Vaudeville. All those Odeon's and theaters were still open when I did my first tours. And all the old guys and everything, Alfred Lagarde, in Holland and he would comment and stuff. And he would comment, he was a critic as well as a supporter. Old school, so that was very much in our DNA. I came from classic training, which was [George] Gershwin, [Leonard] Bernstein, classic music like this. That edge is in Van Halen music. That dark minor key tone is in everything we ever made and that's why we have two diamond albums [Van Halen and 1984]. Elvis [Presley] doesn't have two. He has one and it was Christmas tunes and he didn't write them. That darkness, that little shot of sea salt in the caramel is what makes it work, the John Lennon note. Not the [Paul] McCartney note. The reason I'm so funny is because I ain't even vaguely happy. And that's in your music all the time, from midrange down to here.

Baltin: So how does that come across in your performance?

Roth: Over a period of time it transcends what you look like, unless you were David, unless you were Ziggy Stardust cause you had that specific haircut. But what we bring is classic. I don't go perform, I don't present. The Van Halen's and I come from a background where you had to win or you didn't eat. You had to win your seat in the orchestra starting in sixth grade or you weren't in the orchestra. And when I was in the marching band you had to win first, second or third chair saxophone or you didn't march,. You didn't get a uniform. And then we had to win every audition, then we had to win over the audience, then we had to win over the record company, then I had to sue the record company and win that. It comes from a different mindset of preparedness cause when I step on stage I don't think about that at all. It's all in the prep, thousands of hours so that you can go no mind and interact with the people. But all of my preparation comes from a determination that's based on revenge and fear. My anxieties in terms of revenge and fear are very specific and tangible. I'm not complaining about the man, I'm not upset about injustice. I'm pissed at the wristwatch, it's a little too fast, like ten years too fast. Can you dig? I'm pissed at the calendar. It should slow down a little bit, especially the good days. I'm pissed on those days off when I feel my age, 60 going on 90. Does that make sense?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveba.../#10d1709674b4

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

07.21.19 @ 03:12 AM
    Liked 25,626 Times in 12,934 Posts

Premium Member

I'll go ahead and be the one to say it.

Dave, shut the fuck up. Jesus, what a delusional interview.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

07.21.19 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 6,393 Times in 3,318 Posts

Besides what is being discussed what about him and marching band? I can't recall him playing in marching band.

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

07.21.19 @ 04:44 AM
    Liked 10,321 Times in 5,642 Posts

Premium Member

"Bowie didn't dance either."

The hell, you say!

[

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

07.20.19 @ 03:17 PM
    Liked 3,824 Times in 1,929 Posts

This whole new version of Jump and following interview feels like groundhog day.

Remember this from 2013?

The “Jump” remix is part of an approach I wanted to take of, “What if we take a specific song and update it both in terms of time period and neighborhood, and you use that throughout the play?” The way “Jump” sounds originally is very different than the way it sounds on this latest version. You can turn it country, you can make it a very sad song. I was also thinking to take this material to one of our finer filmmakers and see if the whole package might be used.

We went around the circle, and one of them said to me, “Dave-san, what inspires you?” I said, “Fear and revenge.” They asked, “Revenge against who?” I said, “People who have a whole lot more talent than I do and then threw it away. Sometimes friends of ours have Maserati-style talent and they treat it like a fucking lawn mower.” And they all laughed.

I said, “Then there are folks who have lived much faster and got much farther down the track. Now my wristwatch seems to be moving forward faster and my knees seem to be going slower.” Everybody sort of nodded. It’s revenge against my wristwatch. And fear that I might not have all the time that I wish I could in order to do what’s in my imagination. I don’t think what I’m imagining is preposterous. I don’t think what I’m imagining is undoable at all. Maybe I’m audacious, but I can’t really even smell it. Let’s get after this, like Grandma Roth said. I’m furious to beat the clock here. And whether or not I do last to 93, I want to live a life well-lived. And I do it with a sense of humor. I brought up something in an interview with one of the magazines here in Tokyo. I said, “I wish Bon Jovi would’ve given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would’ve been smarter, the melodies would’ve been much more smashing, and they would’ve sold a lot fewer records.” Fighting spirit, Steve-san. It’s a goddamn war every day in the music business in one faction or another. I have a taste for that. I like conflict, and I can admit that now. “Come on, let’s get after this. Where’s the next war, guys?”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...future-125890/

I love Dave as a Van Halen fan and general rock music fan and I always will, he's just who he is. Having said that, being around him regularly on a personal level must be exhausting. And all I can think is that the VH's can still put up with Dave but yet somehow find Mike to be utterly intolerable.

It's truly Bizarro World...

19. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

06.05.19 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 2,887 Times in 1,804 Posts

Premium Member

"Finish those gaskets, Armin, I'm buying lunch." David Lee Roth has never been on a construction site. gaskets? really?

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

07.19.19 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 297 Times in 165 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    "My anxieties in terms of revenge and fear are very specific and tangible. I'm not complaining about the man, I'm not upset about injustice. I'm pissed at the wristwatch, it's a little too fast, like ten years too fast. Can you dig? I'm pissed at the calendar. It should slow down a little bit, especially the good days. I'm pissed on those days off when I feel my age, 60 going on 90. Does that make sense?"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveba.../#422f435a74b4
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Now my wristwatch seems to be moving forward faster and my knees seem to be going slower.” Everybody sort of nodded. It’s revenge against my wristwatch. And fear that I might not have all the time that I wish I could in order to do what’s in my imagination. I don’t think what I’m imagining is preposterous. I don’t think what I’m imagining is undoable at all. Maybe I’m audacious, but I can’t really even smell it. Let’s get after this, like Grandma Roth said. I’m furious to beat the clock here.
    He's getting restless. Whenever he seeks to goose the Van Halen's into action, he comes into the public light with some cryptic, zany, DLR crap.

Does it work? Of course not. So why do it?

If anything, it confirms that the Van Halen's are up to NOTHING, and he's frustrated with their inactivity.

The Wolf thing kinda blows my mind; we're into April, and fast approaching the one year anniversary of Wolf's completed work.

'I'd have to be an asshole to retire at 27. Who does that?'

How does he sit on a completed record for nine months?
    Last edited by NDL; 04.04.19 at 06:52 AM.
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do … " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

07.18.19 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 1,038 Times in 649 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Well, at least his voice works in interviews.
    Last edited by TheresOnlyOneWay; 04.04.19 at 07:10 AM.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

24. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

07.18.19 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 1,038 Times in 649 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Best part of the 'interview":

'Does that make sense?"

No, Dave. It doesn't.
    Last edited by TheresOnlyOneWay; 04.04.19 at 07:10 AM.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

26. The Following Member Likes This Post: