Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 02:04 AM
    Liked 16,451 Times in 7,246 Posts

Itís not a verse, itís like part of the bridge they missed. They didnít really know the song that well they just kind of played it and realized it afterwards.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

2. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.24.19 @ 08:54 PM
    Liked 24,016 Times in 13,659 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    It’s not a verse, it’s like part of the bridge they missed. They didn’t really know the song that well they just kind of played it and realized it afterwards.
    You Really Got Me and You're No Good aren't really very accurate, either compared to the originals. On the other hand, they're much better than the originals.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

4. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

08.24.19 @ 08:48 AM
    Liked 942 Times in 542 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    There's no reason Eddie has to do much of anything except give final approval. Rush has been retired for 4 years and still releases archive stuff every year, it's damn sure not because Geddy and Alex say "Hey, let's spend six months going through old tapes" every year. And that's how almost all these old bands operate, they have people that do that for them. They also don't sit around and maintain and update their website, they have people to do that for them. The reason there are no VH releases or website activity or even communication is because Van Halen hasn't had an actual organization around it in 20 years. There is no team, there's no one curating anything, there's no one to run any projects, there's no one to even suggest ideas about what the fans may like. The whole band/business organization is Eddie, Alex, Janie, and Wolfgang. And they're some of the most un-motivated people I've ever seen.

Check out 3:45, that's how it works:

But VH has no "suits".

Spot on, but who would want to work them? I think it would headache after headache.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 07:49 AM
    Liked 8,981 Times in 6,450 Posts

Premium Member

**Paraphrased**
    "Dave and I were in the middle of one of our arguments... He asked if I learned the music yet and I said 'Yeah'. I asked if he learned the words and he said 'Yeah'. But we were so caught up in our argument, that neither of us noticed the missing part!" - EVH.

At least that's what I've read. Interesting that no one else noticed, like Mike or Al, not to mention their then producer - who was all about cover tunes for the early albums.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 1,581 Times in 1,067 Posts

I’d kill to hear the FUCK leftovers and the second Cherone album.

9. The Following 7 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.24.19 @ 08:54 PM
    Liked 24,016 Times in 13,659 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    **Paraphrased**
    "Dave and I were in the middle of one of our arguments... He asked if I learned the music yet and I said 'Yeah'. I asked if he learned the words and he said 'Yeah'. But we were so caught up in our argument, that neither of us noticed the missing part!" - EVH.

At least that's what I've read. Interesting that no one else noticed, like Mike or Al, not to mention their then producer - who was all about cover tunes for the early albums.
    Hey, if it sounds good, it IS good.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

08.22.19 @ 08:32 PM
    Liked 314 Times in 174 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Mods, feel free to delete or merge at your discretion...

Something I was just thinking about is Eddie's reluctance about releasing old shows etc. from 'the vault'. We've all griped about this at some point before but I was literally just mulling over some points in my head.

They released Fair Warning with the obvious bass level drop in STIL, and Diver Down with a complete section of PW missing... These were commercial albums with 'mistakes', and let's not forget Ed's obvious faux pas in the official Unchained video from '81... Yet us fans love the imperfections. Does the US Fest ring a bell? Hardly a finely tuned or perfect performance, yet we all love it and know it by heart.

Eddie has done pretty well with his gear line(s) and some folks have dropped a fortune on the relic'd guitars that aren't perfect or nice and shiney. Ed even surprised me when talking about thinking about releasing old demos and stuff, before aborting the project. The fact that he/they even tried going through those archives is (to me) a sign that they know the fans would love it and have spoken about it. Thing is, many of us WANT to see the old footage with warts and all! Then they put out Tokyo Live, and you can't tell me that they consider that to be the cream of the crop? Yet there it is with a pro release...

I just don't get it.
    Remember Eddie's old remark about "I'll take the fortune, you can have the fame..."? He is a millionaire many times over, yet IMO has lost out on a sh*tload more over the years.

Again, I just don't get it...
    I can't shrug the feeling that EVH has contempt for his fans.

There's money in the Vault, but releasing stuff in a way that's marketable requires a degree of effort about something that doesn't excite him.

On the other hand, if he had a genuine love and appreciation of his fans, he could simply upload to youtube - anonymously - whatever he has, imperfect as it might be - just for the fans enjoyment. The degree of effort needed to upload something, would be next to nothing. I have a hunch that this approach would be for him to feel that he is "giving his stuff away," so this approach is a no-go.

All in all, it flat out sucks. Eddie Van Halen has many times acknowledged that he has been gifted with the ability to make music; I wish that he lead all of his efforts with this approach in mind.

The business end of things turned his stomach, and I don't blame him. Unfortunately, the core of his dedicated fans are being punished because of this reality.
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do Ö " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.24.19 @ 08:42 AM
    Liked 2,439 Times in 1,023 Posts

It would be nice to have the band officially release music and videos from the vault.
    However, there is a lot of great material now available on YouTube now. The 2015 Red Rocks show is well done. There are also a number of other really good shows out there (i.e. 1982 Largo, 1993 Norway etc.).

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Unchained
    Last Online

06.10.19 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 840 Times in 439 Posts

I can't believe Azoff hasn't figured a way to empty the vaults by now.

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 07:34 AM
    Liked 390 Times in 258 Posts

Maybe the vault stuff isn't that good..if we heard the best of it on Adkot
    Dealing with it.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 07:49 AM
    Liked 8,981 Times in 6,450 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by VH1988 View Post
    I’d kill to hear the FUCK leftovers and the second Cherone album.
    Me too!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 07:23 AM
    Liked 3,839 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wombattt View Post
    Spot on, but who would want to work them? I think it would headache after headache.
    It probably would be, but there would still always be someone good willing to work for Van Halen, especially for a chance to sort through all the tapes and videos. I think the reason they don't have anyone is just that they don't want to pay anyone and they don't want anyone close to them. It must be the reason when in a time when everybody releases concert videos with maybe a companion live album VH decided to just release a live album only. It's because that's something that can be done almost entirely in-house with a tiny team. A concert video of Tokyo or the Hollywood Bowl would have required a huge crew to record and film and then to edit and produce, etc.

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Unchained
    Last Online

06.10.19 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 840 Times in 439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vcooper3 View Post
    It would be nice to have the band officially release music and videos from the vault.
    However, there is a lot of great material now available on YouTube now. The 2015 Red Rocks show is well done. There are also a number of other really good shows out there (i.e. 1982 Largo, 1993 Norway etc.).
    YouTube is great! I have my computer hooked up to my tv and stereo speakers so it looks and sounds great. I used to leave MTV on for hours just for a chance to catch 1 of the FW Oakland videos, and when I finally got a VCR I spent many hours waiting to record them. Now it is all there on YT. The concerts you mention are good. I like live in Japan 89 better than LWAN. I also like the Memphis FW concert.

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

08.24.19 @ 11:06 PM
    Liked 3,867 Times in 2,448 Posts

Donor

Forget the vault. Old demos and dated footage and aged master tapes...nah.

New music. Made now. In the moment. Preferably with all four members present in studio while recording.

23. The Following 7 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 3,156 Times in 2,163 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Zero chance of it happening.

Much more interesting to discuss the possibility of a STEALTH mission to 5150 at night to retrieve them treasures locked in the vaults and finally let them see the light of day.

Code name: OCEAN'S 5150

So who's on the look out and who's driving the getaway car?!?!
    You do know the "VAULT" is not at 5150/Ed's Studio right ?????

It is well known that the old VH Material (audio/video) is at Pacific Titles Archives. Most likely the one in North Hollywood. http://www.pacifictitlearchives.com/locations.html

Climate controlled Video and Audio storage.

25. The Following Member Likes This Post: