Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 2,290 Times in 1,363 Posts

Default 5150's 33rd Anniversary

Surprised there isn't a thread at all about this.

5150 was released March 24th 1986. Still LOVE this record, just great, great stuff.

Recently I was thinking if Sam really got together with the band in 85 for their first "business meeting" turned jam session, 5150 was written and recorded incredibly fast which makes this disk even more amazing when you think of it.

Jammed Summer Nights, Dreams and 5150 last night....such great stuff.

2. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 4,276 Times in 1,901 Posts

Premium Member

The music was written and worked on months before they met Sam. It was a point of friction as Dave did not like the material. In hindsight Sam was the right guy for the material at the right time. Mick Jones however was the wrong producer although I do like him as a producer overall but less would have been more here. It is my least favorite record other than 3 but it was a gutsy move to go in a new direction and go against his own label in keeping the Van Halen brand etc.... it worked for him and Ed is an easy target with how he frustrates fans he does deserve credit for his conviction in that material.
    Last edited by Darrin Stephens; 03.25.19 at 03:31 AM.

4. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 1,582 Times in 1,067 Posts

I love how the mere mention of Hagar sets off the Roth trolls on VHND.

It’s the same vocal minority every time that trash the band during that era.

33 years and they’re still not over it. Funny you don’t hear them complain about Gary Cherone all the time. Could that be because Sammy was a huge success?

Last Online

08.23.19 @ 11:28 AM
    Liked 1,783 Times in 759 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH1988 View Post
    I love how the mere mention of Hagar sets off the Roth trolls on VHND.

It’s the same vocal minority every time that trash the band during that era.

33 years and they’re still not over it. Funny you don’t hear them complain about Gary Cherone all the time. Could that be because Sammy was a huge success?
    Good grief dude....Someone starts a thread here about recognizing 5150, and 2 comments in you have negative shit that doesn't even have to do with this forum. Of ALL THE GREAT things you could say about 5150 - you go RIGHT to the post you know will start the MOST shit. Not that anybody cares, but I'm on hiatus until the culture of negativity changes (if ever?). Not specifically calling you out, but in general.. I just read through some threads and like at least 50% of this forum is just people insulting each other constantly. I noticed Jedi bailed out... He probably got sick of it too. It's just a freakin' rock band.
    Take care everybody...!

~Peace~

~E
    Last edited by EJC; 03.25.19 at 05:27 AM.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Stephens View Post
    The music was written and worked on months before they met Sam. It was a point of friction as Dave did not like the material. In hindsight Sam was the right guy for the material at the right time. Mick Jones however was the wrong producer although I do like him as a producer overall but less would have been more here. It is my least favorite record other than 3 but it was a gutsy move to go in a new direction and go against his own label in keeping the Van Halen brand etc.... it worked for him and Ed is an easy target with how he frustrates fans he does deserve credit for his conviction in that material.
    I guess my point was, even if the music was written Sam hadn't heard it and I would bet they tweaked a lot of stuff once they started working together. I was watching LWAN on Saturday (just One Way to Rock and Summer Nights) and they had some pretty incredible chemistry for only knowing each other for that short of a period of time. Maybe it's like that with some other bands in similar circumstances but I just think it looked so seamless up there.

I have a boot of the 2nd show of the 5150 tour and they sound great on that.

I get that people don't like Sam, I understand their point but it's hard to deny the synergy they had (at least until 94ish)

8. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 4,276 Times in 1,901 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    I guess my point was, even if the music was written Sam hadn't heard it and I would bet they tweaked a lot of stuff once they started working together. I was watching LWAN on Saturday (just One Way to Rock and Summer Nights) and they had some pretty incredible chemistry for only knowing each other for that short of a period of time. Maybe it's like that with some other bands in similar circumstances but I just think it looked so seamless up there.

I have a boot of the 2nd show of the 5150 tour and they sound great on that.

I get that people don't like Sam, I understand their point but it's hard to deny the synergy they had (at least until 94ish)
    Absolutely, sam was a perfect fit for that material. He just fit it perfectly. I am a Dave guy but the simple fact they got the right guy for that material. To use the analogy from Rogan Ed got a McCartney for his McCartney music and it just fit well. Massive kudos for sam in a tough spot he delivered.

My gripe was w Jones. The move to more electronic sounds tends to be a colder sound. A producer to counter that a bit to add some texture and warmth I think would have helped that record a lot. Mick is a great producer but he is more about polish than warmth and texture. Besides that being a historical element of the VH sound I always enjoy sam vocals that are a bit warmer ala HSAS on Whiter Shade of Pale. A producer who brought a little of that and a little less polish I think would have allowed the recording to age better.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

10. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Love Walks In
    Last Online

08.22.19 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 244 Times in 162 Posts

5150 is my favorite Van Halen album. What a second debut album for a band. I made great memories listening to this music. I loved everything about it and still do. I wore out several cassette tapes and it was the first CD I ever purchased. It was just pure magic.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Stephens View Post
    Absolutely, sam was a perfect fit for that material. He just fit it perfectly. I am a Dave guy but the simple fact they got the right guy for that material. To use the analogy from Rogan Ed got a McCartney for his McCartney music and it just fit well. Massive kudos for sam in a tough spot he delivered.

My gripe was w Jones. The move to more electronic sounds tends to be a colder sound. A producer to counter that a bit to add some texture and warmth I think would have helped that record a lot. Mick is a great producer but he is more about polish than warmth and texture. Besides that being a historical element of the VH sound I always enjoy sam vocals that are a bit warmer ala HSAS on Whiter Shade of Pale. A producer who brought a little of that and a little less polish I think would have allowed the recording to age better.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I think Ed and Donn Landee tried to produce the record and a lot of the recordings had already been completed by the time Jones came into the picture. I think Ed purposefully went away from splitting his sound between the 2 channels. I remember him saying that but don't remember when.

the drum sound doesn't bother me anymore, it used to but now it is what it is.

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 04:26 PM
    Liked 2,439 Times in 1,023 Posts

5150 is my favorite song, with Inside as a close second. I have always liked Al's drum sound on Inside the most of any song on the album.

On a somewhat related topic, I attended my daughter's show choir competition in Northern Virginia this past Saturday. One of the other schools performed Dreams as part of their set.
    It actually turned out pretty good.

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 2,444 Times in 1,501 Posts

Great album with songs that just rocked live!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 575 Times in 383 Posts

I remenber when 5150 was released. Back in the day, it would take 01 or 02 months for such a release to come to Brazil. So I think it was released somewhere around last days of May or the 1st ones on June. Can't say for sure. There was this girl who knew me as a VH fan and she told me something like 'You got to listen to this brand new song from Van Halen with a new singer - It kicks, it says something about love and stuff'. So I went to a local record store and had a listen to it. The 'Hello, Baby!' thing was ok and so was the guitar and the snare drum. Then I heard the electronic tons and I remember not liking it at all. Then the tune that girl mentioned came out ... Keyboards and the voices and the regular solo. I kept listening to 5150 and I thought Get Up, Dreams and Summer Nights were good tunes. After that, I had Best of Both Worlds coming in and boy ... What a tragedy! My all time favourite band recorded that tune?!?! It took me years to listen to Van Hagar again. I think I jumped OUtake12 and just after the release of F.U.C.K that I felt it was time to get both (5150 & OUnake12) albums and give'em another chance. Of course it was the best thing to do since I was older and had another perspective and enjoyed most of the stuff from that era. 5150 is a solid album, no doubt. It has kick ass stuff including I Want Some Action. But I still don't listen to Best of both worlds and Inside. I even admit enjoying the 'fun' feeling from Inside and the guitar tone. But that's it.
    TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

08.23.19 @ 07:18 PM
    Liked 3,865 Times in 2,447 Posts

Donor

OUtake12?

OUsnake12?

OUrake12?

OUBlake12?

OUDrake12?

5150 is the coming of age album for most Gen X Van Halen fans. It's a classic in that sense. I still remember playing the shit outta the clear cassette tape. It took us a couple month to get 'used' to the newer VH sound. But Sammy's vox were on point...would've preferred a more guitar driven album first time out after Dave, even then we knew it was synth heavy even for 1986....but Good Enough and Summer Nights proved it was still Van fuckin' Halen.

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

08.22.19 @ 06:20 PM
    Liked 348 Times in 205 Posts

Talking

I love 5150, especially Why Can't This Be Love. This is a new video Sammy posted about the album......

Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

22. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 575 Times in 383 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    OUtake12?

OUsnake12?

OUrake12?

OUBlake12?

OUDrake12?

Sort of these!!!

5150 is the coming of age album for most Gen X Van Halen fans. It's a classic in that sense. I still remember playing the shit outta the clear cassette tape. It took us a couple month to get 'used' to the newer VH sound. But Sammy's vox were on point...would've preferred a more guitar driven album first time out after Dave, even then we knew it was synth heavy even for 1986....but Good Enough and Summer Nights proved it was still Van fuckin' Halen.
    I do like 5150, the album. It's a good, heavy and solid one as I said. But it was too different for me when it 1st came out: I was getting into that Bay Area music and wanted to start a band - got my 1st job and saved enough money in order to buy my 1st drum kit and so on. So it wasn't a regular scenario to me - I love Van Halen, I love the friction that the band brings to us, fans. I do believe they will release some other material with their last incarnation (EVH, AVH, WVH and Dave). But when 5150 was released, it took me way too much time to accept the fact that Dave was out. As time goes by and as much as I like Eat'em & Smile, I now think 5150 aged well enough to became my 2nd favourite Van Hagar record. And I do listen to it (even skipping tracks like BOBW and LWI) much more than Dave's 1st LP which is odd!!
    TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

24. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 08:15 PM
    Liked 24,014 Times in 13,657 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose View Post
    I love 5150, especially Why Can't This Be Love. This is a new video Sammy posted about the album......

I love 5150, but I don't care for Why Can't This Be Love. I think Love Walks In smokes it.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

26. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: