Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.08.19 @ 09:40 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

modeling amps work best for me. i don't play in a band, nor do i play anywhere other than at home so being able to achieve the tone and sounds i want at low volume is important. if i ever do play out, i'll likely get something bigger then my little 15w peavey vypyr. maybe a tube amp.. maybe not. i guess it'll depend on what i like when i do some testing/shopping.

Last Online

10.07.19 @ 01:03 PM
    Liked 803 Times in 389 Posts

Why no get the Helix and just hang onto the half-stack? This way, after you've gotten over the honeymoon period with the Helix, you can still plug into the 5150 and see if you still feel the same way about getting rid of it. Personally, I'm a tube amp guy. I've owned modeling amps, and I always come back to tube. It just seems to cut through better in a live situation.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

10.19.19 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 165 Times in 70 Posts

It's hard to shake the tube thing when you're a bit older. That's "the sound" I grew up with. A number of years ago I received Guitar Rig Mobile for free with something, enjoyed playing around with it, and things have advanced far beyond that at this point. Most times now I practice late at night using electric guitars but completely unplugged. I've found that it really helps to get the nuances down, because you're just hearing the strings with nothing coloring the sound. Tube amps are a Mesa/Boogie Mark III 60W combo (bought new in '87, a extremely versatile amp and not the Rectifier), and a Marshall DSL100 w/4x12 cab. Marshall die-hards either like those or they don't, but I find it can get many classic and more modern Marshall sounds. Also have a fully-stocked analog pedalboard to shape the sounds (Pedaltrain). Interesting little tidbit- I sold Richie Kotzen a Morley Power Wah Volume pedal back in the 80's. He was in a band called Arthur's Museum that played around the Reading PA area at that time. Thought it was cool that he was in that band because I had seen them at The Silo outside of Reading. He said the pedal was for their keyboard player however (?). It was one of those big chrome case indestructible models which was hard-wired for AC power.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.19.19 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Why no get the Helix and just hang onto the half-stack? This way, after you've gotten over the honeymoon period with the Helix, you can still plug into the 5150 and see if you still feel the same way about getting rid of it. Personally, I'm a tube amp guy. I've owned modeling amps, and I always come back to tube. It just seems to cut through better in a live situation.
    That's sort of what I did. I have a Marshall Code 25 that I run through my Marshall DSL40 to get a better sound that that crappy 10" speaker the Code comes with. Plus I can use the DSL40C alone if I want the pure tube goodness. But this Christmas I got a Kemper and I've been having a blast with that too. Running that through some Yamaha HS80 monitors. Definitely different and TONS of options. I flip flop back and forth with whatever the mood strikes at the moment.