Register

Thread: Bad Coices

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.16.19 @ 08:07 PM
    Liked 4,153 Times in 1,842 Posts

Premium Member

Default Bad Coices

Dave's solo career started with 3 platinum releases before crashing on the rocks with ALAE. Now he never intended to have a sustained solo career but chasing a movie deal and underestimating Edward resulted in it. ALAE was a new band essentially but had a new brilliant guitarist and Bob Rock onboard to make it polished so surely what could go wrong?

First losing Jason Becker to ALS. Then bad choices, MTV which had been instrumental for Dave going back to 1984 banned his first single the title track. Chicks in bikinis and midgets were now a no no. The second single was Sensible shoes, no midgets and a more arty black n white video. MTV felt topic matter was too mature, only would air it after 10PM. Oh shit, well make it up on tour. Between the delay from replacing Jason and fighting with MTV the tour started a bit later than usual. Well while auditioning and fighting Kurt Cobain happened as buzz was all about the new hot Seattle band as that scene exploded in 91. Dave's usual show now seemed a total contrast to the current scene and no one really heard either of the first 2 singles.
    So that was the anatomy of how to halt a 3 platinum run dead in its tracks.

The Vegas choice a few years later had logic of not fighting the current environment do something different. This however cemented perception of done. What if he had chosen a theatre tour doing the acoustic storytellers format instead? What if he had made a less controversial video (although I see nothing wrong with either). So choices have consequence.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

07.16.19 @ 11:41 PM
    Liked 10,292 Times in 5,624 Posts

Premium Member

bad hair

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

07.16.19 @ 12:09 AM
    Liked 162 Times in 68 Posts

Interesting analysis, and I would say spot on. Dave sure had a knack for hooking up with great guitarists, much like Ozzy. It's a real shame what happened to Jason Becker and amazing that the guy is still alive. Dave had a heck of a little solo career there, and those EEAS and Skyscraper tours were incredible. I saw both shows at the Spectrum in Philly, and Dave sailed over me on the giant surfboard. You had to wonder what Dave could do to top this, but then unfortunately the bottom fell out from much of the rock music scene, due to numerous factors.

6. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

07.16.19 @ 04:14 PM
    Liked 13,179 Times in 7,137 Posts

Premium Member

Huh. I never knew MTV actually banned the ALAE video. Too bad, it was a good song and too bad the PC police prevailed.

Sensible Shoes is one of my favorite Dave solo tunes. Cool video, too.

Illustrates the power and influence that MTV still wielded back then. I was a senior in high school when the local Seattle grunge bands took off and MTV was playing Smells Like Teen Spirit, Alive, Outshined, and Man In The Box what seemed like every hour. Give me Soundgarden and AIC over Nirvana and PJ any day every day.

8. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Huh. I never knew MTV actually banned the ALAE video. Too bad, it was a good song and too bad the PC police prevailed.

Sensible Shoes is one of my favorite Dave solo tunes. Cool video, too.

Illustrates the power and influence that MTV still wielded back then. I was a senior in high school when the local Seattle grunge bands took off and MTV was playing Smells Like Teen Spirit, Alive, Outshined, and Man In The Box what seemed like every hour. Give me Soundgarden and AIC over Nirvana and PJ any day every day.
    What is odd on the ALAE video is NBC had a video show and aired it no problem. You would think network standard would be more strict than cable.
    Sensible Shoes is a good song and again the video to me is not offensive at all. In hindsight it was a better single choice given the shift in the market away from 80s sounding music.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

11. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

07.16.19 @ 12:41 PM
    Liked 25,589 Times in 12,913 Posts

Premium Member

The "what Dave should have done differently" list, post 1984, for DLR is almost endless.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

13. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Right now
    Last Online

07.10.19 @ 05:47 AM
    Liked 306 Times in 175 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Stephens View Post
    Dave's solo career started with 3 platinum releases before crashing on the rocks with ALAE. Now he never intended to have a sustained solo career but chasing a movie deal and underestimating Edward resulted in it. ALAE was a new band essentially but had a new brilliant guitarist and Bob Rock onboard to make it polished so surely what could go wrong?

First losing Jason Becker to ALS. Then bad choices, MTV which had been instrumental for Dave going back to 1984 banned his first single the title track. Chicks in bikinis and midgets were now a no no. The second single was Sensible shoes, no midgets and a more arty black n white video. MTV felt topic matter was too mature, only would air it after 10PM. Oh shit, well make it up on tour. Between the delay from replacing Jason and fighting with MTV the tour started a bit later than usual. Well while auditioning and fighting Kurt Cobain happened as buzz was all about the new hot Seattle band as that scene exploded in 91. Dave's usual show now seemed a total contrast to the current scene and no one really heard either of the first 2 singles.
    So that was the anatomy of how to halt a 3 platinum run dead in its tracks.

The Vegas choice a few years later had logic of not fighting the current environment do something different. This however cemented perception of done. What if he had chosen a theatre tour doing the acoustic storytellers format instead? What if he had made a less controversial video (although I see nothing wrong with either). So choices have consequence.
    I agree with all of that, but I think another reason he made bad choices, is because he wore people out with his OTT character, and they moved on. That left him by himself most of the time and having to make decisions by himself.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

07.16.19 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1,249 Times in 789 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    bad hair

Think that's his '88 'do.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dont disturb my Paradise View Post
    I agree with all of that, but I think another reason he made bad choices, is because he wore people out with his OTT character, and they moved on. That left him by himself most of the time and having to make decisions by himself.
    Well he had no plan to be a solo act after Skyscraper and a strong manager would have managed the entire fiasco. But as far as people being burned out working with him actually no, direct opposite. He has a pretty small and loyal team. People that have worked with him not named Van Halen have had almost universally say they would work with him again everyone from musicians, to assistants, et al... By the same token you hear the same thing about Sam as well. There is no long trail of burnt out staff who left him. He is extremely loyal and treats his people very well.

That quote of his about being art centric is very true. He only really focused on the business side in music decision making around late 90s. Nile Rodgers was very helpful in that regard. The ALAE tour just hemorrhaged money. He spent way too much on everything and when it failed that was a ton of dough. I have always said he is a bad winner. His best decisions are made when proving something. Bad decision making from the top of the mountain or unwise victory laps is not unique to Dave but he was not immune either.

17. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing! BlindtotheWorld's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

07.16.19 @ 01:11 PM
    Liked 1,694 Times in 880 Posts

Premium Member

I'm confused. The ALAE video was on MTV all the time and I saw Sensible Shoes plenty before 10pm.
    "Swamp people doin' their swampy things." - bsbll4

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

07.04.19 @ 07:10 PM
    Liked 309 Times in 132 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlindtotheWorld View Post
    I'm confused. The ALAE video was on MTV all the time and I saw Sensible Shoes plenty before 10pm.
    Yeah, don't remember about Sensible Shoes, but I definitely remember the ALAE video being on MTV in regular rotation.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

07.16.19 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 2,272 Times in 1,350 Posts

what was the deal with his split with Vai? I remember David Coverdale saying he offered Steve like a million dollars to join Whitesnake....was it as simple as that or was there more going on there? I admit I don't know the whole story on it.

I think dave's biggest mistake as a solo artist was letting Sheehan and Vai get away.

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

07.16.19 @ 11:41 PM
    Liked 10,292 Times in 5,624 Posts

Premium Member

Noun

coice m (plural coices)

1. a kick, especially one from a quadruped
    2. (firearms) recoil (pushback from a fired firearm)

Last edited by Number 47; 04.18.19 at 01:21 AM.