Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW
    Favorite VH Song

Loss of Control
    Last Online

05.17.19 @ 11:22 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Default Was VH ever a stadium filler?

I never thought about this much before now. For years I accepted the common wisdom that VH was a household name in the USA and clearly one of the biggest rock bands of the eighties and early nineties. I never believed the shite I’d heard way back when from Sammy - ‘biggest band in the world’ - as my own experience told me otherwise.

Years ago, I read Dave’s comment about the brothers wanting to play stadiums for three months instead of a longer tour of arenas. He then said that after he split, they had to do the arenas after all. It didn’t occur to me for YEARS that what he really meant was that the moment had gone - stadium tours were no longer an option for them.

Only recently, seeing the rumours of a short stadium tour, sharing the bill with established stadium-fillers, has it dawned on me that the assumptions I had about the band since I was a teen in Scotland have probably been wrong. Perhaps they really were the premier rock band of the era but that was limited only to the US and at a time when they had only just begun to breakthrough to the mainstream. Dave leaving, and the break up of the original band, stalled the band’s momentum and while they continued to be successful with Sam (four #1s, etc.), they were never able to become truly stadium-sized rockers. Am I fair? Is this wrong?

Peace.
    Use my hand, I won't look!

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

05.26.19 @ 02:33 AM
    Liked 16,610 Times in 9,397 Posts

Premium Member

You’re not wrong. Eddie wanted to do it and right after “1984” would have been the right time. #1 song with “Jump” and “1984” second only to “Thriller” meant that the band was on fire. They were already being name checked in pop culture via songs and movies before all that too.

That was the time to do it.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

05.23.19 @ 02:00 PM
    Liked 1,455 Times in 884 Posts

Premium Member

I think they could have done stadiums in 1984. I think they had another opportunity after 1996 MTV Awards. That reunion, at that time, could have been HUGE.

VH playing stadiums, as the headliner, that ship has sailed.

5. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

05.25.19 @ 07:47 PM
    Liked 3,725 Times in 1,876 Posts

I don't know, it's possible, but I just think they were generally too heavy and musically busy to play to those kinds of huge crowds back then, in spite of their mainstream hits. But who knows...

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

05.25.19 @ 07:38 PM
    Liked 10,554 Times in 5,919 Posts

In 84 they could have. I'd argue they could have in 96 with the right promotion.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

8. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

05.25.19 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 8,769 Times in 6,306 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    In 84 they could have. I'd argue they could have in 96 with the right promotion.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Respectfully disagree about '96... '84 and/or '86? Perhaps.

I think the '96 thing gets played up more than it needs to be, tbh. Yeah it was neat to see them onstage and hear the two new songs, yet BOV1 didn't really set the world on fire in terms of sales or radio play (the new Dave ones).

My $0.02.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

05.25.19 @ 04:29 PM
    Liked 15,296 Times in 8,018 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Legoman View Post
    I never thought about this much before now. For years I accepted the common wisdom that VH was a household name in the USA and clearly one of the biggest rock bands of the eighties and early nineties. I never believed the shite I’d heard way back when from Sammy - ‘biggest band in the world’ - as my own experience told me otherwise.

Years ago, I read Dave’s comment about the brothers wanting to play stadiums for three months instead of a longer tour of arenas. He then said that after he split, they had to do the arenas after all. It didn’t occur to me for YEARS that what he really meant was that the moment had gone - stadium tours were no longer an option for them.

Only recently, seeing the rumours of a short stadium tour, sharing the bill with established stadium-fillers, has it dawned on me that the assumptions I had about the band since I was a teen in Scotland have probably been wrong. Perhaps they really were the premier rock band of the era but that was limited only to the US and at a time when they had only just begun to breakthrough to the mainstream. Dave leaving, and the break up of the original band, stalled the band’s momentum and while they continued to be successful with Sam (four #1s, etc.), they were never able to become truly stadium-sized rockers. Am I fair? Is this wrong?

Peace.
    No, I think this assessment is pretty spot on.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Unchained
    Last Online

05.25.19 @ 09:56 PM
    Liked 820 Times in 429 Posts

They could have played multiple nights everywhere in 84. MTV just gave them so much exposure. So if they had stayed together, all they would have needed to do is release a live album in 85 and they could have definitely filled stadiums. I also think they could have filled stadiums in 96.

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.25.19 @ 04:31 PM
    Liked 576 Times in 357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post

I think the '96 thing gets played up more than it needs to be, tbh. Yeah it was neat to see them onstage and hear the two new songs, yet BOV1 didn't really set the world on fire in terms of sales or radio play (the new Dave ones).

My $0.02.

You’ve got to take into consideration that ‘96 was on the heads of the massive Moss reunion tour...which did way better than anyone expected...’96 was a perfect time for this..they could’ve started out in stadiums, but probably wouldn’t have ended the tour that way...but we’ll never know.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

My $0.02.
    you may be right.

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

05.24.19 @ 06:33 AM
    Liked 1,465 Times in 993 Posts

No they were never a stadium band. Not in 84/86/96. Never.

They just weren’t.
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

"ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VH1988 View Post
    No they were never a stadium band. Not in 84/86/96. Never.

They just weren’t.
    Summer of 84 they certainly could have. They would have just turned that 100 show Jan- July tour into a 30 city tour in stadiums over that summer instead. When you consider the fact they closed that tour playing 3 nights in both Dallas and Houston I find it hard to believe they couldn't have filled stadiums in big towns.

That said, I think we're looking at this with 2019 perspective. Who played stadiums in 1984? The Jacksons did, but Springsteen didn't (USA tour), Prince didn't (purple rain tour) & The Police didn't (Synchronicity Tour)
    Last edited by It's Mike; 03.13.19 at 01:54 PM.

20. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

05.25.19 @ 02:58 PM
    Liked 226 Times in 140 Posts

My $0.02.
    Where I live, MWM was a huge radio song, and I know there was a lot of anticipation of CVH touring (before the MTV awards disaster). On the heels of the KISS reunion, they could have done stadiums, imho.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

05.26.19 @ 02:33 AM
    Liked 16,610 Times in 9,397 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Summer of 84 they certainly could have. They would have just turned that 100 show Jan- July tour into a 30 city tour in stadiums over that summer instead. When you consider the fact they closed that tour playing 3 nights in both Dallas and Houston I find it hard to believe they couldn't have filled stadiums in big towns.
    Yep. I keep bringing it up because it’s significant, “Thriller” is the greatest selling album of all time. Van Halen stood at #2 for five weeks behind that album. For a hard rock band to do that back then was an amazing feat. The charts were very diverse also. They were up against everything at a time where consumers were creating platinum artists in every genre. VH was huge and 1984 was the year they that everyone knew who they were. Dave and Ed were in a Frank Sinatra video for crying out loud!

It was not crazy for Ed to want to do some stadiums, not at all.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

23. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.22.19 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 413 Times in 193 Posts

They could've easily filled stadiums in '84 -85. They were the most popular rock band at the time, and on the 1984 Tour, they were doing 2 to 3 nights in some cities. Those were arenas which held about 15K, which is about the equivalent of a stadium.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

25. The Following 3 Members Like This Post: