1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

03.24.19 @ 06:48 AM
    Liked 1,214 Times in 823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    yeah, 5150 had nothing to do with it.....FFS
    No way dude. Don’t you know all those people attended because of David Lee Roth?!?

He’s the reason VH kept going #1 and having sold out tours well into the mid 1990s. It was all because of 1984 and DLR.

LOFL.

Then like I said, a stadium date in 1996 would be because of the decade reign as the #1 American rock band with Sammy Hagar. They’d just be riding his coattails. Haha.

So easy to point out this biased crap.

In case you can’t tell I’m being sarcastic.
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

"ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

The correct answer to this thread is actually yes.

They were seat fillers at a stadium for The Rolling Stones back in 1981.
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

"ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

03.22.19 @ 10:59 AM
    Liked 2,176 Times in 1,294 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH1988 View Post
    In 1996?

No. They couldn’t fill stadiums and it’s hilarious to suggest they could.

In 1995 Roth couldn’t even fill clubs let alone keep his Vegas show. Now he’s going to take VH into stadiums?

I’ll let you live in that fantasy.
    Dave's Vegas shows.......ouch.

Last Online

03.21.19 @ 02:14 PM
    Liked 290 Times in 127 Posts

No bias to it. Van Halen were at their peak in popularity by the Summer of 1984. Had they had the right management in place, they could have done whatever they wanted at that point going forward, and the Dave splitting ship may have been righted as well.
    Last edited by NWA72; 03.14.19 at 07:31 AM.

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

03.24.19 @ 09:04 AM
    Liked 3,766 Times in 1,664 Posts

Premium Member

They became characters and video stars in 84 and if looking to assign credit that actually is mostly due to Dave as that was his thing. 5150 it was an evolution of the characters and of course the audience wanted see what next and the entire hype of the break up etc... again beyond music they had those storylines, characters and media that propelled it helped differentiate to an audience. Beyond that they became their respective bands and did well but that hyped character aspect dissipated.

Kiss in 96 literally recreated their characters. VH definitely could have been big if done right but it was not gonna be the same as it was. They were not those characters anymore, MTV was relevant but not nearly the power tool it was in the 80s, and the members were just different people, different energies. That 84 and 5150 period was unique to have video stars and a wwf like rivalry and storyline generated and blasted out on the most influential media tool at the time MTV which Dave had positioned them for. As much as the anti Dave stuff from Sam has not aged well, it picked up the megaphone where Dave dropped it and gave storyline. Sam had a good recipe and he sold it. Those are all reasons totally disconnected from the music itself which this site is a testament to is an endless debate. Those non-music reasons count as stadium crowds are events not just concerts
    Last edited by Darrin Stephens; 03.14.19 at 07:34 AM.

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by NWA72 View Post
    No bias to it. Van Halen were at their peak in popularity by the Summer of 1984. Had they had the right management in place, they could have done whatever they wanted at that point going forward, and the Dave splitting ship may have be righted as well.
    Lots of what ifs there. But you gave Roth credit for Van Hagar playing to 55K.
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

03.24.19 @ 05:40 AM
    Liked 14,881 Times in 7,828 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by NWA72 View Post
    They did pull off one stadium show in 1986 of 55,000 plus in Boulder, CO. I don't think they could have done an entire run though that year. If it was ever going to happen, it was definitely on the heels of the monster that was 1984.
    Loverboy, DIO, and BTO were also on the bill - it was called "the Sun Festival."

Van Halen were certainly the big draw but it wasn't them all by themselves at a traditional concert with opener type set up.

https://rockandroll.si.edu/photocont...-boulder-1986/
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

9. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

03.24.19 @ 09:04 AM
    Liked 3,766 Times in 1,664 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    Loverboy, DIO, and BTO were also on the bill - it was called "the Sun Festival."

Van Halen were certainly the big draw but it wasn't them all by themselves at a traditional concert with opener type set up.

https://rockandroll.si.edu/photocont...-boulder-1986/
    Always interesting to look at those old festival line ups and see how those bands aged.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

03.24.19 @ 08:55 AM
    Liked 16,035 Times in 9,047 Posts

Premium Member

In 1996?

No. They couldn’t fill stadiums and it’s hilarious to suggest they could.

In 1995 Roth couldn’t even fill clubs let alone keep his Vegas show. Now he’s going to take VH into stadiums?

I’ll let you live in that fantasy.
    I’ll let you live in the fantasy that Dave’s solo career would have any bearing on a Van Halen tour. I know you like to pretend that 1996 wasn’t a big deal to anyone except a few people here, but you’re wrong.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

12. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

03.24.19 @ 05:40 AM
    Liked 14,881 Times in 7,828 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    I’ll let you live in the fantasy that Dave’s solo career would have any bearing on a Van Halen tour. I know you like to pretend that 1996 wasn’t a big deal to anyone except a few people here, but you’re wrong.
    Everyone I knew were talking about it and we all had become fans when Sam was in the band due to our age.

They were still a big time act in 1996 being asked to provide music for a blockbuster film. Reuniting the original line up would have generated enormous interest.

They could have played stadiums in certain markets no doubt.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    I was 19 years old in 1996. I remember all of this very well. You saw Chris Rock stand up and thought it meant VH were going to bigger than ever. It’s ridiculous.
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

I was 19 years old in 1996. I remember all of this very well. You saw Chris Rock stand up and thought it meant VH were going to bigger than ever. It’s ridiculous.
    All right, it’s obvious you just want to be a shit stirrer again. You just can’t help yourself.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

17. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    Everyone I knew were talking about it and we all had become fans when Sam was in the band due to our age.

They were still a big time act in 1996 being asked to provide music for a blockbuster film. Reuniting the original line up would have generated enormous interest.

They could have played stadiums in certain markets no doubt.
    No dude, you imagined that.

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

03.20.19 @ 03:15 PM
    Liked 1,499 Times in 632 Posts

SPEAKING of Loverboy.... Remember when they had that contest where the winner would get to STAR in their video? So the girl that won I guess wasn't up to Loverboy standards, as they only put her in 2 frames at :18 and :22. How humiliating. What douchebags...

I never forget anything!

How I would love to see The Gorn from Star Trek come up behind Mike Reno and choke him out!

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

03.22.19 @ 10:59 AM
    Liked 2,176 Times in 1,294 Posts

not agreeing with brooks these days means you're a shit stirrer. lol.

It was a big deal in 96. Is it a big deal today? I don't think so and I'm not saying that to be a dick, it is what it is.

would it have translated to them playing stadiums? you can't say. it's that simple. it fell apart so fast.

23. The Following Member Likes This Post: