Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

03.24.19 @ 08:45 AM
    Liked 24,205 Times in 12,216 Posts

Premium Member

I think it is pretty obvious that VH had shitty management before and after Ed Leffler. Whatever cut that guy was making, it wasn't enough.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

2. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

03.24.19 @ 01:38 AM
    Liked 2,185 Times in 1,352 Posts

1984 was the most opportune time.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

03.23.19 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 12,245 Times in 6,631 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hausman View Post
    Could they have played stadiums in the '80s? Some interesting points to ponder...

*Biggest VH album ever was 1984, which sold a whopping FIVE million during that year. (In comparison, the debut sold 2 mil during 1978, fantastic for a new band, and 5150 sold 3 mil during 1986).

*VH in 1984 was all about JUMP, PANAMA & HOT FOR TEACHER.

*PANAMA song & classic MTV video was release in June, just before the tour ended, in July.

*HOT FOR TEACHER song & classic MTV video was released in late Oct, long after the tour. Millions of kids who were getting into VH solely or party because of this song or video (& Panama) never got to see this band in concert.

*Every single show of the 1984 tour was 100% sold out. ALL of those tickets were sold BEFORE Panama & Hot For Teacher songs & videos were released!! Think about that.

*Noel & the band were extremely conservative when booking the tour.

*By the END of 1984, Van Halen was even more popular than they were at the beginning of 1984, when JUMP held the #1 spot on Billboard for a solid 5 weeks!

*If they wanted to, the 1984 tour could have gone on much, much longer.

*With all the fans they made from the 1-2-3 punch of Jump, Panama & Hot For Teacher, they could've done it all over again in 1985 (another tour), and it would've been just as big, without even releasing anything.

*So their popularity reached it's zenith specifically after the 1984 tour, and until they broke up just months later.

*If they stayed together, they could have easily done well in SOME stadiums on their next tour. Along with (mostly) arenas, with multiple nights being even more common than before.
    That is interesting and puts it in perspective. I also think some are thinking some of us are saying stadiums in EVERY city. At least for me, that's not what I was thinking. I was thinking maybe 20 stadiums in 85 at most, in the very biggest markets. To me, I think that was very doable.

6. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

03.24.19 @ 06:06 AM
    Liked 1,617 Times in 871 Posts

Stadiums would have been a possibility in Europe where, like Jovi, they could play 3-5 dates across an entire nation - drawing crowds from multiple cities - rather than tour individual cities via arenas.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

03.24.19 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 373 Times in 244 Posts

I don’t know, the handful of Stadium shows I went to, the sound was usually overloaded and heavily distorted, unless you were on the field in front of the stage or in the ‘line of site’ of the board. Stadium sound, especially for acts that played loud or had a lot going on (musically speaking) was not great. That was generally the case until the sound quality made a huge jump in ‘84 with The Jackson’s Victory Tour. The sound was clear, loud, not distorted and the mix had enough space to clearly hear the different instruments...and that tour had a ton of people on stage. If I recall correctly, that incredible sound system also came with a heafty price onnthe act’s part.

It would be insteresting to hear about the sound from someone who saw Van Halen open for the Stones in Florida.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

03.23.19 @ 04:08 PM
    Liked 810 Times in 433 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Respectfully disagree about '96... '84 and/or '86? Perhaps.

I think the '96 thing gets played up more than it needs to be, tbh. Yeah it was neat to see them onstage and hear the two new songs, yet BOV1 didn't really set the world on fire in terms of sales or radio play (the new Dave ones).

My $0.02.
    VH could have sold out the Grand Canyon in 1996, with all the hype and buzz around the reunion. They didn't need a new album, although I'm sure they could have banged one out to go with the 2 new songs.

MTV was still actually musically-oriented and was on board with it. The hype would have been unreal, had VH decided to do it.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

03.24.19 @ 06:48 AM
    Liked 1,214 Times in 823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    VH could have sold out the Grand Canyon in 1996, with all the hype and buzz around the reunion. They didn't need a new album, although I'm sure they could have banged one out to go with the 2 new songs.

MTV was still actually musically-oriented and was on board with it. The hype would have been unreal, had VH decided to do it.
    This is a ridiculous comment IMO.

KISS werent in stadiums in 1996. Why would VH be? KISS in makeup was a bigger deal than Roth in VH.

People act like VH were hurting and needed Roth in 1996. They had a triple platinum chart topping album and the 4th highest grossing tour of 1995.

Would Roth have then been cruising on Hagar’s success then?

Certain fans put WAY too much stock into the 1996 MTV ovation.

A reunion tour would’ve been in arenas with multiple nights in certain markets.
    Last edited by VH1988; 03.14.19 at 06:31 AM.
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

"ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

03.24.19 @ 09:04 AM
    Liked 3,766 Times in 1,664 Posts

Premium Member

The 84 and 5150 period were the times where they likely were a stadium act but again that would be for a smaller run of dates. I do not think they could do stadiums in 96 no matter what the promotion, the market has changed too much and they just were not the personalities they were in that 84 period where they were characters almost. A big tour, sure, stadiums in 96 well maybe a show in NY or LA and it becomes an event but no not a tour the market would not support that.

Personally, I hate stadium shows, sound sucks, sight lines suck and just usually not a pleasant experience

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Stephens View Post
    The 84 and 5150 period were the times where they likely were a stadium act but again that would be for a smaller run of dates. I do not think they could do stadiums in 96 no matter what the promotion, the market has changed too much and they just were not the personalities they were in that 84 period where they were characters almost. A big tour, sure, stadiums in 96 well maybe a show in NY or LA and it becomes an event but no not a tour the market would not support that.

Personally, I hate stadium shows, sound sucks, sight lines suck and just usually not a pleasant experience
    All of this.
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

"ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

03.24.19 @ 08:55 AM
    Liked 16,035 Times in 9,047 Posts

Premium Member

On the reunion tour KISS played Tiger Stadium, The Alamodome, The Superdome, The Skydome, The Rogers Centre, Thunderdome (Tropicana Field)

You mean to tell me VH couldn’t do that in 1984 or 1996?

C’mon

EDIT: And Eddie wanted to do a small stadium tour in 1984.
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 03.14.19 at 06:54 AM.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

20. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

03.22.19 @ 10:59 AM
    Liked 2,176 Times in 1,294 Posts

The only time they could have done stadiums is 1984 and 1986 and it would have to be in select cities. Maybe they could have done some in 88 had they not done the MOR but that's about it. there used to be a clip on YouTube with MTV saying nobody but VH and U2 were doing big business touring by 1991.

people were feeling very nostalgic in 96 but I don't think they could have done it then and that's not a knock on anyone, I just think rock music had changed into something different at that point.

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

03.21.19 @ 02:14 PM
    Liked 290 Times in 127 Posts

They did pull off one stadium show in 1986 of 55,000 plus in Boulder, CO. I don't think they could have done an entire run though that year. If it was ever going to happen, it was definitely on the heels of the monster that was 1984.
    Last edited by NWA72; 03.14.19 at 07:09 AM.

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by NWA72 View Post
    They did pull off one stadium show in 1986 of 55,000 plus in Boulder, CO. I don't they could have done an entire run though that year. If it was ever going to happen, it was definitely on the heels of the monster that was 1984.
    They did it in Texas too.

And in 1988.
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

03.22.19 @ 10:59 AM
    Liked 2,176 Times in 1,294 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NWA72 View Post
    They did pull off one stadium show in 1986 of 55,000 plus in Boulder, CO. I don't they could have done an entire run though that year. If it was ever going to happen, it was definitely on the heels of the monster that was 1984.
    yeah, 5150 had nothing to do with it.....FFS

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    On the reunion tour KISS played Tiger Stadium, The Alamodome, The Superdome, The Skydome, The Rogers Centre, Thunderdome (Tropicana Field)

You mean to tell me VH couldn’t do that in 1984 or 1996?

C’mon

EDIT: And Eddie wanted to do a small stadium tour in 1984.
    In 1996?

No. They couldn’t fill stadiums and it’s hilarious to suggest they could.

In 1995 Roth couldn’t even fill clubs let alone keep his Vegas show. Now he’s going to take VH into stadiums?

I’ll let you live in that fantasy.
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

27. The Following Member Likes This Post: