Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

09.18.19 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 1,584 Times in 1,068 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    They could've easily filled stadiums in '84 -85. They were the most popular rock band at the time, and on the 1984 Tour, they were doing 2 to 3 nights in some cities. Those were arenas which held about 15K, which is about the equivalent of a stadium.
    Yeah but a with multiple night stand you get fans that all the nights or 2/3 of the nights etc.

VH could’ve definitely booked a stadium show within an arena tour. For instance Journey in 1983 multiple nights in every town. Sometimes 4 nights. They played one stadium in 109 shows with a show at JFK in Philly. Sammy Hagar opened actually.

But a full tour of stadiums?

Nope.

If Journey couldn’t do it 81-83, VH weren’t doing it in 84.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 9,104 Times in 6,546 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by VH1988 View Post
    Yeah but a with multiple night stand you get fans that all the nights or 2/3 of the nights etc.

VH could’ve definitely booked a stadium show within an arena tour. For instance Journey in 1983 multiple nights in every town. Sometimes 4 nights. They played one stadium in 109 shows with a show at JFK in Philly. Sammy Hagar opened actually.

But a full tour of stadiums?

Nope.

If Journey couldn’t do it 81-83, VH weren’t doing it in 84.
    Agreed.
    Maybe one or two along the way, yet not a tour or even mini tour IMO.

At least not with the stadiums packed to capacity, like a few seem to think they would be. VH is my favorite band, yet I don't let that taint or bias my judgement or acceptance of their place in the pecking order... Haha.

Could they have played some stadiums with Dave OR Sammy to 1/2 or 3/4 full crowds? Again, perhaps/probably. Yet to think that a bona fide tour would be sold out with thousands of extra people lined up around the block is a bit.... Off... IMO.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 07:50 PM
    Liked 26,408 Times in 13,322 Posts

Premium Member

Maybe a few spots in 1984, 1985, or even possibly 1986. But a full stadium tour? No way.

I think 1996 is a possibility now, and I never did before. Just thinking about how much business KISS did no their reunion, it might have been possible. Especially if paired with a great act as opener.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

10.16.19 @ 02:17 AM
    Liked 18,396 Times in 10,489 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Maybe a few spots in 1984, 1985, or even possibly 1986. But a full stadium tour? No way.

I think 1996 is a possibility now, and I never did before. Just thinking about how much business KISS did no their reunion, it might have been possible. Especially if paired with a great act as opener.
    And judging by how the hot rock acts of the day reacted to the reunion they probably would've lined up for that slot.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

6. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 13,802 Times in 7,506 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    Where I live, MWM was a huge radio song, and I know there was a lot of anticipation of CVH touring (before the MTV awards disaster). On the heels of the KISS reunion, they could have done stadiums, imho.
    Yep. But people also have to forget their bias against Dave coming back and remember that by the time the Best Of album was released, the "reunion" had already imploded, thanks mostly to Ed.

We can never know but I'd say the spring/summer of 85 and full blown reunion tour in 96-97 were the times to do it. Lol I expect this thread will probably not end well.

8. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 07:53 PM
    Liked 16,696 Times in 8,793 Posts

Premium Member

Anyone notice how much more pleasant it's been here the last few days?

I wonder why?
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 07:50 PM
    Liked 26,408 Times in 13,322 Posts

Premium Member

It's a Christmas Miracle in March.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

11. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 07:36 PM
    Liked 1,320 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Respectfully disagree about '96... '84 and/or '86? Perhaps.

I think the '96 thing gets played up more than it needs to be, tbh. Yeah it was neat to see them onstage and hear the two new songs, yet BOV1 didn't really set the world on fire in terms of sales or radio play (the new Dave ones).

My $0.02.
    But that was because Dave released his open letter before that and the reunion was shit.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 13,802 Times in 7,506 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFVH5150 View Post
    But that was because Dave released his open letter before that and the reunion was shit.
    Yep I remember being both elated and bummed when the local rock station where I was living in Montana at the time debuted MWM. The DJs said here's the great new VH with Dave, but dont get too excited as there are rumors Dave is already out. IIRC they even mentioned Gary.

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 07:36 PM
    Liked 1,320 Times in 847 Posts

MWM was actually a bit depressing when you heard it on the radio the first time for real (versus the shitty internet version), because it was so good.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

10.09.19 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 449 Times in 211 Posts

All I'm saying is they could've played stadiums instead of doing 2 or 3 nights in one city. Its the same amount of people. I realize there were fans that came back the next night in the arenas, but I still think they could've done stadiums. They were at their peak popularity and selling out everywhere.

Personally, I don't even like stadium shows anyway. The sound is usually bad, and if you have cheap seats, you have a better chance of seeing Mars than the band playing on stage. I guess its better now because stadiums have those massive video screens, but then its like you're watching it on TV.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

19. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

09.27.19 @ 08:08 PM
    Liked 4,111 Times in 2,567 Posts

Na, I don't think they were gonna sell out 65,000, 80,000 seat stadiums in 1984.
    Some cities they could have but a not a whole tour.
    As mentioned, bands like Journey and The Police were just a s big and they couldn't do it either.

1996 they mighta had a better chance being away so long, but even then I don't think they could have done it consistently across the country.

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

AJW

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 09:08 PM
    Liked 2,425 Times in 552 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Could they have played stadiums in the '80s? Some interesting points to ponder...

*Biggest VH album ever was 1984, which sold a whopping FIVE million during that year. (In comparison, the debut sold 2 mil during 1978, fantastic for a new band, and 5150 sold 3 mil during 1986).

*VH in 1984 was all about JUMP, PANAMA & HOT FOR TEACHER.

*PANAMA song & classic MTV video was release in June, just before the tour ended, in July.

*HOT FOR TEACHER song & classic MTV video was released in late Oct, long after the tour. Millions of kids who were getting into VH solely or party because of this song or video (& Panama) never got to see this band in concert.

*Every single show of the 1984 tour was 100% sold out. ALL of those tickets were sold BEFORE Panama & Hot For Teacher songs & videos were released!! Think about that.

*Noel & the band were extremely conservative when booking the tour.

*By the END of 1984, Van Halen was even more popular than they were at the beginning of 1984, when JUMP held the #1 spot on Billboard for a solid 5 weeks!

*If they wanted to, the 1984 tour could have gone on much, much longer.

*With all the fans they made from the 1-2-3 punch of Jump, Panama & Hot For Teacher, they could've done it all over again in 1985 (another tour), and it would've been just as big, without even releasing anything.

*So their popularity reached it's zenith specifically after the 1984 tour, and until they broke up just months later.

*If they stayed together, they could have easily done well in SOME stadiums on their next tour. Along with (mostly) arenas, with multiple nights being even more common than before.
    Last edited by Jeff Hausman; 03.13.19 at 09:29 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 02:02 PM
    Liked 2,266 Times in 1,270 Posts

The thing no one talks about is this: did VH have good enough management to become a stadium band, both in 1984 and in 1996. My take on this: no, they didn't. In both cases, they seemed like a band without direction, not sure of what to do. VH lacked the very solid management that other legendary bands had.
    Little Dreamer

24. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 10:05 PM
    Liked 2,224 Times in 1,313 Posts

I think it was mistake for VH to not do stadiums in 1984. They could have double-billed, like The Rolling Stones did on their stadium tours. The Stones had ZZ TOP open for them for their two Cotton Bowl shows in 1983??

Or, VH could have done like Led Zeppelin did in 1977, and planned some stadium shows and some arenas for that tour.

The very first time I saw VH was at the 1978 Texxas Jam at the Cotton Bowl. VH were added after the initial line-up had been announced. I was going to go the Jam based on the original line-up. But when VH were added for that 11am morning slot, then I changed my plans to get to the stadium early that day, otherwise I would have showed up later.

The Cotton Bowl floor and the lower balcony was mostly full by 10am when we arrived. And I firmly believe it was because Van Halen were slotted to play that morning. Big acts like Heart, Ted Nugent, and the headliners Aerosmith were all slated beginning in the late afternoon. (BTY, Aerosmith SUCKED that night. In Joe Perry's auto-biography, Joe states that by that time in 1978, Aerosmith had mutated from being Rock Stars that did drugs, to Druggies, that did Rock.)

Van Halen over that massive stadium sound system in 1978 was the best VH experience I ever had.

But as it's been said, that stadium "ship" has sailed.
    Last edited by The Rover; 03.13.19 at 11:09 PM.
    "The VH Universe is built on a wall that separates CVH from SVH. Tell either side there's no wall, you've bought a war. Or a slaughter." Lt. Joshi - LAPD

26. The Following 3 Members Like This Post: