Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.14.19 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 161 Times in 68 Posts

Default HR Departments

I work for a very large American corporation. Lots of structure, protocol etc etc. I have 3 bosses, the guy at the top of the pile can be a huge cock. Extremely passive aggresive, veiled threats etc etc. I have taken it up until today. He called me at 7:00 this morning to smash me under his thumb. I did nothing wrong, I was following corp protocol but he kept coming at me. I let him say what he had to say then said FUCK IT!!! I pushed back HARD!! I dealt in facts!!

He started to back pedal so fucking fast!! Got off the phone with him and called my immediate boss. He said its bullshit and to call HR. Told him I wasnt comfortable with calling them, it will only bite me in the ass. He said then need to know whats going on, they are aware of his managment style. He asked me to write down legit issues and if I had more than 5 to call HR. I wrote 4 pages.

When I was calling Corp Headquarters to speak to HR I had to explain to much on phone and I think word may have gotten to Boss guy. When I got off the phone he called me to discuss out conversation. DAMAGE CONTROL MODE!!!
    We spoke for 45 minutes, I didnt hold back.

HRlady called me right back and we scheduled a 2pm phone call. NO answer, straight to voice mail. Starting to think this was a really bad idea and I am going to get burned.

Ive heard mixed reviews of HR dept's. Anyone have any dealings with a HR rep in a situation like this? DO I need to work on my resume?
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 07:24 PM
    Liked 1,711 Times in 915 Posts

Premium Member

I think your immediate boss should have gone into bat for you on this rather than get you to call HR, particularly after you said that you weren't comfortable with it. That's his job. I do it for my staff regularly.

As for HR, a prerequisite is to be able to smile at someone, tell them how much you understand them and then march them out the next day and hand them their burning soul in a box.
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

OLO

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

10.01.19 @ 05:02 PM
    Liked 2,385 Times in 1,313 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Could go either way OLO. I used to work in the transportation industry and the HR person was "in bed" with the company. Dismissed anything anyone had to say against the company. I never had any run ins with this person, but that was one of the reasons it was a soul crushing place to work.

Good to see you posting, and I hope your life is otherwise doing well.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

OLO

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 11,574 Times in 6,473 Posts

So hard to know without knowing the company well. In most circumstances however companies want these issues to be addressed in house to the "victim's" satisfaction as they do not want a paper trail of an abusive boss getting away with it as this is certain to happen again and will bite them in the ass when it does.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

OLO

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 12:46 PM
    Liked 2,473 Times in 1,316 Posts

Premium Member

There comes a point when you have to stand against it. Passive aggressive control freak bosses who threaten and degrade those around them in order to elevate their pathetic ego's. Sounds like you stood for what's right, for your own human dignity and for the dignity of others who've also suffered his abuse. You did the right thing.
    Regardless of how it turns out, OLO, I bet you'll look back with no regrets.

I don't have a family to support, so I understand that finally telling a perpetually shitty boss where to shove it has come with less risk for me than it would for some others.

I hope it turns out in your favor with that HR dept. If they do fire you though then I suggest you don't sign any funny business from them before they show you the door. Protects you from their lawyers, and keeps your legal options open should you decide to go that route.

My $.02
    ☩ ☩ ☩

9. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 830 Times in 461 Posts

Document everything. Every little thing that happened in the past and present put it down on paper. Try and put dates to it as well.

I guarantee you the company will be doing the same and have already asked the guy to do this.
    Cabo x 25
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 08:06 PM
    Liked 16,674 Times in 7,322 Posts

Default HR Departments

I just avoid the HR department at all costs. I always find they donít give a shit about anything you tell them. They are there to protect the company, bottom line. Iím sure youíll be fine man, but just realize that they donít give a flying fuck about anything you tell them.

I have been a manager and Iíve had to deal with HR and theyíre no fucking better for management in many cases in my opinion.

Document everything!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 7,950 Times in 3,995 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    I work for a very large American corporation. Lots of structure, protocol etc etc. I have 3 bosses, the guy at the top of the pile can be a huge cock. Extremely passive aggresive, veiled threats etc etc. I have taken it up until today. He called me at 7:00 this morning to smash me under his thumb. I did nothing wrong, I was following corp protocol but he kept coming at me. I let him say what he had to say then said FUCK IT!!! I pushed back HARD!! I dealt in facts!!

He started to back pedal so fucking fast!! Got off the phone with him and called my immediate boss. He said its bullshit and to call HR. Told him I wasnt comfortable with calling them, it will only bite me in the ass. He said then need to know whats going on, they are aware of his managment style. He asked me to write down legit issues and if I had more than 5 to call HR. I wrote 4 pages.

When I was calling Corp Headquarters to speak to HR I had to explain to much on phone and I think word may have gotten to Boss guy. When I got off the phone he called me to discuss out conversation. DAMAGE CONTROL MODE!!!
    We spoke for 45 minutes, I didnt hold back.

HRlady called me right back and we scheduled a 2pm phone call. NO answer, straight to voice mail. Starting to think this was a really bad idea and I am going to get burned.

Ive heard mixed reviews of HR dept's. Anyone have any dealings with a HR rep in a situation like this? DO I need to work on my resume?
    Hire a lawyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last Online

10.15.19 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 895 Times in 523 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Your employee handbook should have a dispute resolution policy with the steps that are to be taken. Read it. Know it. Follow it to a T.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 11:17 AM
    Liked 3,723 Times in 1,841 Posts

Premium Member

I work in a relatively large HR office for about 1400 employees. My experience is that you are probably not the first person to have this type of issue with this guy and HR is simply wanting to document it properly before taking action. They may also be looking for additional insight to compare it against other similar complaints. It could also be where they simply want to make sure you aren't going to strangle him the next time you see him and they want to de-escalate the situation.

My guess is based on the sequence of events that his damage control call was him trying to save his own ass because he knows he messed up. My advice would be to be calm and cool as much as possible when explaining the sequence of events to the HR rep and you should be just fine.

I'm interested to hear how it will turn out.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

08.27.19 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 545 Times in 297 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by cabomiro View Post
    Document everything. Every little thing that happened in the past and present put it down on paper. Try and put dates to it as well.

I guarantee you the company will be doing the same and have already asked the guy to do this.
    Do this now!!! Everything you can remember. Find emails from him that will support your view that he is passive aggressive etc. Once you have this compiled, print a copy and take it home. Email it to your personal email etc. etc. Hide a copy under your mattress. Find items with dates and times. The more detail you have the better!

What is unknown is whether or not this is the first time this person has been brought up to HR. You may not be the first. You might not even be the second. If you are the first it is always tougher sledding. But if you are 2nd or 3rd etc....it just might be what is needed to get the company's attention. No company wants a liability in a high ranking position. Not in this day and age. It truly is sad but I document every conversation with my employees. One of them I won't even have a conversation without someone else in the office.

And I agree with the caller that said your direct boss should have dealt with this. Telling you to do it directly was a chicken shit move.

You'll be good. And if not...there's always a career in raccoon trapping and relocation.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 07:25 PM
    Liked 446 Times in 300 Posts

Dealing with it.

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 07:50 PM
    Liked 26,406 Times in 13,320 Posts

Premium Member

I have a spreadsheet with a different tab for each individual I come in contact with at work, and every time there is an interaction with them that is even a little bit off, I write down all the W's.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

21. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.14.19 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 161 Times in 68 Posts

HR took my statement last night took about an hour. The investigation is open now. She said I may never know what has happened but to please know its being looked into. Yesterday was a hard day, last night my mind was racing. This morning I thought maybe I am making to much of this and over reacted. My girlfriend reminded of the shit he has pulled over that past few years, some of it possibly against the law. She then pointed out that Control freak Narcacist frequently try to put this on you. They asked me to put my statement into a email by Monday at noon. Ill work on it this weekend. Its in HR's hands now. Thing is he can be a real cool guy, doesnt make the other shit okay. My guess is he will get a wrsit slap and deal with me very little. I did hear he has another open file on him. They know......
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 07:53 PM
    Liked 16,696 Times in 8,793 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    HR took my statement last night took about an hour. The investigation is open now. She said I may never know what has happened but to please know its being looked into. Yesterday was a hard day, last night my mind was racing. This morning I thought maybe I am making to much of this and over reacted. My girlfriend reminded of the shit he has pulled over that past few years, some of it possibly against the law. She then pointed out that Control freak Narcacist frequently try to put this on you. They asked me to put my statement into a email by Monday at noon. Ill work on it this weekend. Its in HR's hands now. Thing is he can be a real cool guy, doesnt make the other shit okay. My guess is he will get a wrsit slap and deal with me very little. I did hear he has another open file on him. They know......
    This kind of shit sucks.

Years ago when I was in my mid 20s, I had a couple of girls that worked in my department come to me and tell me that my boss sexually harassed them. I immediately went in the shitter because I didn't know what to do. On the one hand I felt like I couldn't just sit on it because that is a serious allegation. On the other hand I wished they would have gone to his supervisor or to HR or anyone else because it put me in a bind - do I report those kind of allegations against my boss? All three of them had worked there longer than me and they were all friendly with each other. The thought crossed my mind that he put them up to it to see if I would report him.

I ended up telling them that I was not the appropriate person to be relaying those allegations against and that they needed to either contact HR, or go to the head manager about it because as his underling I was not in a position to do anything about it other than report it to HR or the head manager myself and that I was uncomfortable relaying this kind of thing as a 3rd party who had nothing to do with it.

I don't know if they ever did or not, I left a short time later but until I quit it was always in the back of my head that I was going to get fired for not reporting what I knew even though I had no way to verify if the accusations were true or not.

I'm glad I'm a stay at home dad now!

Hope everything works out for you!
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

24. The Following Member Likes This Post:

OLO