Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Unchained
    Last Online

03.24.19 @ 09:03 AM
    Liked 727 Times in 380 Posts

DD, maybe you saw them in Richmond, VA like I did. They did not look like they were happy with each other at that concert.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

03.24.19 @ 08:45 AM
    Liked 24,205 Times in 12,216 Posts

Premium Member

Ah, yes. Richmond, not Roanoke.

Edit: the worst Balance show for chemistry on YouTube has to be the one in which they are opening for Bon Jovi, and at the end of the show, Ed goes out of his way to not even touch Sam. It's unreal.

Edit 2: Cardiff Wales - June 21, 1995, when doing their encores Ed ducks Sam and pushes Al towards Sam so he doesn't have to touch him when they hold hands and do the bow. You are hating someone something special when you get to that point.
    Last edited by Dave's Dreidel; 03.11.19 at 04:36 PM.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

03.24.19 @ 01:38 AM
    Liked 2,185 Times in 1,352 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike zack View Post
    I was at the Worcester show and Great Woods. I always felt that the Great Woods show was really flat. I don't want to say bad but just felt like they mailed it a little that night. Just curious what you thought.
    Didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary that night.
    I did get my banner held up by Alex and Sammy while on stage.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

03.21.19 @ 02:14 PM
    Liked 290 Times in 127 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

Edit: the worst Balance show for chemistry on YouTube has to be the one in which they are opening for Bon Jovi, and at the end of the show, Ed goes out of his way to not even touch Sam. It's unreal.

Edit 2: Cardiff Wales - June 21, 1995, when doing their encores Ed ducks Sam and pushes Al towards Sam so he doesn't have to touch him when they hold hands and do the bow. You are hating someone something special when you get to that point.
    That's the show where earlier in the day Ed and Sam had to be separated backstage due to Sam refusing to do a radio show interview with Jon Bon Jovi that morning on one of the biggest Networks in the country and Ed taking it personal due to his friendship with JBJ. The blurb was in Metal Hammer, Kerrang!, or one of the other European metal/hard rock magazines I have here somewhere. The tension definitely shows in those clips.
    Last edited by NWA72; 03.11.19 at 05:53 PM.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

03.22.19 @ 11:10 PM
    Liked 3,216 Times in 2,064 Posts

Until '07 that was the last time I saw them. They sounded good on that tour. No doubt about that.
    It just had got stale for me. Sam old Dave tunes, same old Sammy songs, dissing good rockers...
    It was gonna be my last Sam tour unless they got a little more creative with the set.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

03.23.19 @ 11:03 PM
    Liked 1,112 Times in 691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlindtotheWorld View Post
    So….didn’t attend this tour. It was in the spring of my junior year of college. I was short on cash. My best friend with whom I went to most rock concerts was off at basic training. I was also musically distracted by a lot of alternative music (not grunge) at the time. I figured, “hey, I will catch the next tour”. Well, there was one more tour with Sam that I did get to attend but it was a long wait and it was 2004…..
    No excuses--you should've knocked off a liquor store! And it would've been justifiable.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 7x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

Wow, just watched that "ovation." Eesh.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

03.23.19 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 12,245 Times in 6,631 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Until '07 that was the last time I saw them. They sounded good on that tour. No doubt about that.
    It just had got stale for me. Sam old Dave tunes, same old Sammy songs, dissing good rockers...
    It was gonna be my last Sam tour unless they got a little more creative with the set.
    Yeah, until 2004, my least favorite tour. Decent show at the Gorge in September for us, but my big takeaways were no Aftershock, Take Me Back, or Dont Tell Me. Not playing Aftershock was hugely egregious to my cousin and I. The other thing I remember vividly was twice Sam left the stage for a few moments. Both times the band ripped into CVH and the crowd went nuts. Once was RWTD, the other time it was Mean Street. Both times, as soon as Sam walked back onstage the band immediately stopped playing both songs and the crowd began to boo.

I know we had to sit through Not Enough, but we may have also had to listen to CSLY, but I cant remember now. I do remember Ed's outro solo on Amsterdam was some of the finest playing I've ever heard. But, ultimately an underwhelming and uninspired setlist still sticks in my mind. Sure, it's perfectly fine not to play much CVH, but where was "5150", AFU, Summer Nights etc? Play a couple of those instead of Sam solo tunes at least.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

03.23.19 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 2,269 Times in 522 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I went to 26 shows during the Balance tour, and was backstage at all but 3 of them.

In my opinion, it was definitely the least exciting tour of the 5 tours they did with Sammy during those 10 years together. I say that because from the first night, you could tell this was a totally different band from the brotherhood of the '93 tour. That Pensacola tour opener was probably the least-magical night of the entire tour, and it aired nationwide!

Sammy got really sick right after the tour started, and then got worse before he got better. His cold was really bad on his throat. There was little on-stage camaraderie during the first several shows, and that was very different from their other tours.

However, the band clearly had more and more fun as the tour progressed, and it definitely got better. My 26 shows were spread out over the entire tour, and each month of that long tour, you could tell the band was enjoying themselves more. Each month, the band was better than the month before. By the end of the tour, I thought it was pretty much as good as the other tours with Sammy.

All that said, I had an absolute blast each night. My only complaint is that I was REALLY missing the Dave-era classics, even more than I missed them on previous tours. But they were still killer shows, and I have lots of great memories from the tour.

14. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

03.22.19 @ 10:59 AM
    Liked 2,176 Times in 1,294 Posts

I saw them a few times on that tour (3 times I think). The first show was on Easter Sunday that year, it was "ok", not a ton of energy on stage, not a ton of chemistry. they sounded good and the video's on the titontron were cool. I left the show a bit disappointed. I thought something was wrong with the band but never thought it was as bad as it turned out to be.

Saw them again in August and it was like night and day, they were totally on. They opened with Big Fat Money and i know people think that's a weak way to start a show but the way they did it was so cool. Ed and Sam walked out to center stage, Sam had his arm around Ed's shoulder and they both had these huge shit eating grins on their face and they just launched into it....it was very, very cool. The next night they opened with Aftershock. Everything they played was spot on, they sounded great, they had tons of energy and there was actually some camaraderie on stage. this was a couple of weeks before the show in Toronto that was used for the PPV but I think they were better at the first show in August I saw.

when that show ended I was sure they were back on track, whatever looked out of sorts earlier in the year seemed to be behind them......but the first time I heard HB I knew something was F'd up. I was not surprised when they split but I thought Sam would be back in a couple of years (kind of like Vince and Motley Crue) but it just never worked out.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

03.12.19 @ 09:18 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I saw them in Minneapolis MN at the Target Center. The Tibetan Monks happened to be in town at the same time as VH and they came in and opened the show with Seventh Seal...it was very cool. Never saw 12,000 people so crazy for Monks!

17. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

03.23.19 @ 07:53 AM
    Liked 963 Times in 618 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Saw them back to back nights in Worcester and then Providence.

Worcester was to me just a magical night. 14th row on the floor in front of Ed. There was something about that night, because it wasn't as special the next night in Providence. Still good, but not what I felt the night before. Ed and Sam on Feelin were extraordinary.

Who knows - could have just been me, maybe Providence was all that for someone who didn't see them the night before, maybe Worcester wasn't all that for someone else. But I just had goosebumps all night and literally stood there with my mouth open dumbstruck watching Ed the entire night. Maybe it was because they were all banged up, they just kind of stood there and played. And played their asses off.

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

03.24.19 @ 06:48 AM
    Liked 1,214 Times in 823 Posts

I remember being totally shocked they didn’t play Poundcake after my first Balance show.

I see a few people saying they wanted some more older Roth tunes by 1995.

Try being a Hagar era fan in 2019.
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

"ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

As much as I loved the tour, Sam should've kept "Unchained" in the setlist or at least resurrected RWTD to make the setlist less bland, not just 30-second teasers of them. No...they should have played a new/old DLR era song.

If you think about, they did something new each tour from that era. After YRGM, ATBL, and Panama (and "Jump," kinda) from 1986:

1988: RWTD
    1991: Jump (proper)
    1993: Unchained

1995 should've had at least DTNA or another hit. Fuck, EWS only has a few words in the verses...Sam couldn't deal with that? He doesn't want some? Or even OPW for fuck's sake. I understand no HFT because it's not his style, but I'm sure he could've found another hit or especially deep cut that he's fine with to same degree as "Panama." Actually, they should've played OF...he and Mike would've sung the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge out of that one!

Still a glorious tour though for this fan...
    Last edited by DFVH5150; 03.12.19 at 08:08 AM.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

03.24.19 @ 01:38 AM
    Liked 2,185 Times in 1,352 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DFVH5150 View Post
    Wow, just watched that "ovation." Eesh.
    Yeah, Ed wanted no part of Sam.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com