Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cheapy cheapy

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

11.12.19 @ 10:59 PM
    Liked 4,587 Times in 2,779 Posts

I stopped working at a music store in 2011. 2012 was the last NAMM I attended after 13 years of going.

I haven't played nearly as much as I used to. But I thought to myself maybe upgrading to a US Strat would be fun. When I left, you could get a US Strat (Road 1) for $699. Now they start at $1100!

I have a Peavey Wolfgang Special that was $699, made in US, and a Fender MIM 50s reissue that I got for free from Fender (along with a Deluxe Reverb). I have an all solid wood Garrison acoustic (Gibson bought them and then dropped the brand) I got for $500.

The idea of spending $2000 or more for a guitar is nuts now that I could afford to do it. Obviously not playing as much nor being in a band is a big factor, but still.

I think I'd more likely upgrade the 50s strat, though I have to admit now that I play less often, the neck is killing me and I would rather have the C neck.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.12.19 @ 10:47 PM
    Liked 16,810 Times in 7,398 Posts

Default Cheapy cheapy

I wouldnít spend $2000 on a guitar either.

Iím talking in the $800-$1200 range. In most cases those guitars are just a higher quality than those that have $200 price tags on them. No matter what is being said about perception and all that. I know the thousand dollar Charvel I bought is better than a $200 Jackson.

Again Iím not saying that you canít find a quality instrument that is cheap but they all vary. Sometimes for me Iíd just rather buy one that has good stuff on it and not have to dick around with it. I like to dick around with my guitars too, but sometimes I just donít want to.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

11.12.19 @ 10:59 PM
    Liked 4,587 Times in 2,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I wouldn’t spend $2000 on a guitar either.

I’m talking in the $800-$1200 range. In most cases those guitars are just a higher quality than cheaper than those that have $200 price tags on them. No matter what is being said about perception and all that. I know the thousand dollar Charvel bought is better than a $200 Jackson.

Again I’m not saying that you can’t find a quality instrument that is cheap but they all vary. Sometimes for me I’d just rather buy one that has good stuff on it and not have to dick around with it. I like to dick around with my guitars too, but sometimes I just don’t want to.
    Gotcha.

One exception I used to think about was the Mexican Fenders. A new bridge, nut, and pickups and you've got a nice Strat for less, just without the resale value.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Yeah you can do a lot with those Mexican Fenders.
    Webmaster

Last Online

11.12.19 @ 05:12 PM
    Liked 4,557 Times in 1,718 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I’m talking in the $800-$1200 range.
    Whether you're building or buying, that's the sweet spot, IMO. Most bang for your buck in that range. None of my builds have costed any more than that and outside of my Peavey Wolfgang none of them retailed for any more than that either.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Whether you're building or buying, that's the sweet spot, IMO. Most bang for your buck in that range. None of my builds have costed any more than that and outside of my Peavey Wolfgang none of them retailed for any more than that either.
    I donít think Iíve ever paid more for a guitar than that range. And that goes for my EBMM when it was new and that signature Angus Young SG that I sold for like double a year later.
    Webmaster

Last Online

11.11.19 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 3,375 Times in 1,783 Posts

I've always had many extra super-cheap guitars... all Fender Jazzmaster Squires with only bridge replacements (Mastery Bridges)...

I have them... just to have guitars ready and intonated in lots of different custom tunings with the string gauges that I customize for those string tensions.

When I go to record, if necc, I'll quickly string/tune/re-intonate one of my expensive guitars to get the final takes.

Sometimes the cheap guitar recordings are 100% fine depending on the tone and the mix.

It's great to have lots of diff tunings all ready to go JUST to help in writing riffs. And you definitely want to get the cheapest possible guitars in this scenario.

EDIT... plus all those 5 guitars were all bought used off motivated sellers... even cheaper!
    Last edited by noise next door; 02.20.19 at 03:38 PM.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

07.21.19 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 1,657 Times in 889 Posts

Agreed with Brett - it depends on the guitar. When you're dealing with budget axes the Quality Control always has a wide range. You can find some gems and some dogs in the budget price range.
    But my question is: does the wood quality suffer drastically on a cheapy vs a mid-ranger? I can't see why. Same machines, same factory, same wood - the only difference IMO is the hardware and frets. I already have a Wolfgang PU lying about that I picked up at a crazy price of £29.99 so if wood is wood then $200 gets me a Wolfgang-fronted Jackson.

As for what I'd pay for a guitar. IMO loooooong gone are the days of the super-expensive USA-only days and even MIJ. My RG570EX and Jem Floral were the last big spends at $1600 and $1700 respectively - and that was 2002! Nowadays, with the quality about and lower manufacturing costs, I can't justify more than $800 except for emotional pulls such a signature model (though I'd never fall for that) or a custom build. But quality-wise, no way is it any longer a case of a gigging pro-level axeman needing a $3500 Jackson/Charvel and all the rest being limiting and only fit for bedroom guitarists.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

11.12.19 @ 09:28 PM
    Liked 1,751 Times in 929 Posts

Premium Member

The Ibanez Premium, Charvel Pro Mod price bracket seems to be the sweet spot. I can get a new Pro Mod with Duncans and a caramelised bacon neck that's been through the Plek thingy for under $1500AUD. If I could find a used one for $500 less, i'd pull the trigger immediately.
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

11.12.19 @ 09:28 PM
    Liked 1,751 Times in 929 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlofeldsCat View Post
    But my question is: does the wood quality suffer drastically on a cheapy vs a mid-ranger? I can't see why. Same machines, same factory, same wood - the only difference IMO is the hardware and frets. I already have a Wolfgang PU lying about that I picked up at a crazy price of £29.99 so if wood is wood then $200 gets me a Wolfgang-fronted Jackson.

As for what I'd pay for a guitar. IMO loooooong gone are the days of the super-expensive USA-only days and even MIJ. My RG570EX and Jem Floral were the last big spends at $1600 and $1700 respectively - and that was 2002! Nowadays, with the quality about and lower manufacturing costs, I can't justify more than $800 except for emotional pulls such a signature model (though I'd never fall for that) or a custom build. But quality-wise, no way is it any longer a case of a gigging pro-level axeman needing a $3500 Jackson/Charvel and all the rest being limiting and only fit for bedroom guitarists.
    If it sounds great, and with minimal spend you can get it to play great, I don't think what wood it's made from, or where it's made, matters at all.
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

Last Online

11.12.19 @ 05:12 PM
    Liked 4,557 Times in 1,718 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Wood is wood - there will be wonderful lively pieces and there will be duds. There will be some examples of the same species that are worlds apart tone wise. It all comes down to trying the guitar.

If you find yourself a cheap guitar that sounds good acoustically, resonates well, feels like a good weight, etc - then that's your prime candidate for a cheap modding platform.\\

If you buy online without playing first it's a gamble, but that applies whether it's a $200 or $2,000 guitar.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

07.21.19 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 1,657 Times in 889 Posts

But there's no definite ploy on behalf of manufacturer's to use dud wood for the lower end of the scale?

Good call about buying online but no physical shops near me sell second-hand guitars that were cheap when new.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

A lot of it when you buy online is a leap of faith.
    Webmaster

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

11.12.19 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 1,128 Posts

Premium Member

I wouldnít spend $2000 on a guitar either.

Iím talking in the $800-$1200 range. In most cases those guitars are just a higher quality than those that have $200 price tags on them. No matter what is being said about perception and all that. I know the thousand dollar Charvel I bought is better than a $200 Jackson.
    True! My Jacksons are MIJ and were about $550 each on E-bay from a New York brick and mortar store. They're alder with real Duncans (as I've posted before) and came with hard cases, and are just lovely. The Jacksons I see at the local Guitar Centers (and Charvels with the cake icing logo), though, are true junk. I wouldn't expect them to survive one show at a high school battle of the bands. It really tarnishes the brand. People don't know there are excellent quality Jackson guitars out there for $500-$700, but you have to go online.

My Ibanez EX1600 was $160 used, and is a maple body with a maple neck. I did have to change the bridge to a JB and have Sperzel locking tuners added, but still, that's maybe $350 total? Plays super easily and is probably my loudest guitar. A maple body with a JB is the same specs as a Kramer Baretta, and they want over $1,000 for those today!

Yes! The most I ever paid was $1,200 used for my Les Paul Sunburst back in 2003. My other Les Paul I got in 1990 when you could still get one for $800 new and Strats were $500. My SG's, American Standard Strat and "Dweezil" Charvel I bought used off E-bay for about $800 apiece with cases (or a gig bag for the Charvel). No way I would spend any more than that.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Default Cheapy cheapy

I had a Candy Apple Red Ď83 Les Paul that weighed four tons and I think I paid $850 for it in 1989. It was a cool guitar but the neck was like a baseball bat and it was just too heavy. I just never played it, and I think I sold it maybe 15 years later for about $2400 or something like that. It literally sat collecting dust for almost two decades I just never liked it. I also had an Ď87 Tobacco Sunburst Standard I think I paid $700 for and traded in when I bought my EBMM in 1992. Iím just not really a Les Paul guy.
    Webmaster