Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

09.27.19 @ 08:08 PM
    Liked 4,111 Times in 2,567 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I actually recently bought a new Charvel DK 24. It was $1000. First new guitar I have purchased in several years. Played it at NAMM and really liked it. I didnít want to lay out that kind of bread all up front, so I got it from zzounds.com and they take $80 a month for a year. I have no issue doing that, so thatís what I did. No interest, no credit bullshit, it was super easy. They sent me the guitar in two days.
    LOL. I've been seriously considering that for an Ibanez or Charvel as well. Doable payments and just like that you're jamming.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 05:17 AM
    Liked 16,688 Times in 7,330 Posts

Default Cheapy cheapy

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    LOL. I've been seriously considering that for an Ibanez or Charvel as well. Doable payments and just like that you're jamming.
    It wasnít $1 million, I read nothing but positive things about their payment plan, so I figured what the hell. I got a really nice guitar, and Iím playing it and no bullshit. Itís not like you have to make payments, it automatically comes out every month, itís no hassle. I piss away $80 a month on stupider things.

I didnít see the downside.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

I-II-WACF-FW-DD-1984-ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

10.09.19 @ 11:14 PM
    Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts

It comes down to the argument had a lot in guitar chat/forums. Would you rather have 5- $500 guitars or one $2500? I'll go with the 5 any day. Of course i have never played a $2500. might change my mind if i did.

Just a bedroom hack. Being a recording/gigging musician would probably change my outlook too.
    "I think good rock music is more than profanity, screeching vocals, wailing guitars and pounding drums. " Dick Hogan-Music Reviewer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Default Cheapy cheapy

Quote Originally Posted by mike529 View Post
    It comes down to the argument had a lot in guitar chat/forums. Would you rather have 5- $500 guitars or one $2500? I'll go with the 5 any day. Of course i have never played a $2500. might change my mind if i did.

Just a bedroom hack. Being a recording/gigging musician would probably change my outlook too.
    I think if you were playing in a band and playing out you would change your outlook a little bit yes. You want something really reliable when youíre on stage, and something that sounds great and wonít give you any issues. I think thatís why for me I like to keep it very simple when I build my own guitars because I donít want any fucking issues.

Iíve played some $2500 guitars that I wouldnít pay $250 for. It really just depends.
    Webmaster

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

Most of them are still low grade woods, and inferior that way. The necks arenít always straight, the frets are usually cheap too, and not leveled well. Thereís just a whole rash of things that those really cheap Super Strats cut corners on.

Like I said I donít think theyíre all terrible, but I think a lot of them are and to me itís just not worth the trouble of having to fix and replace everything to get a quality instrument.

It was nice getting a guitar sent to me that I actually could just play out of the box and not have to sit and fiddle with for days. A few little tweaks and I was done because I always have to mess with the action a little bit. And I blocked the Floyd. But I could have lived with it the way it was.
    Yeah, they just don't feel the same as more expensive models. The bodies might be the same but they didn't feel the same too me. If they were both basswood, or whatever, it just felt like cheap guitar got an inferior piece of basswood compared to the more expensive one. IDK, maybe I'm crazy....just felt like that too me.
    The necks aren't even close on the $100-200 models. Super cheap.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

It wasnít $1 million, I read nothing but positive things about their payment plan, so I figured what the hell. I got a really nice guitar, and Iím playing it and no bullshit. Itís not like you have to make payments, it automatically comes out every month, itís no hassle. I piss away $80 a month on stupider things.

I didnít see the downside.
    No downside at all. You get to jam without having to save up the cash.
    Great for other stuff too. After I bought mine I didn't have enough for pedals. I got a multi FX pedal like that. In two days I had effects.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 05:31 AM
    Liked 9,107 Times in 6,549 Posts

Premium Member

Can you do pick slides on a cheap guitar? Do the specs allow for it?
    The struggle is real...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 03:50 AM
    Liked 620 Times in 258 Posts

Premium Member

didnt Jeff Healey play a Squire with upgraded pups? I read that somewhere a while back.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 05:06 AM
    Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts

Donor

Great thread...

I've always been a sucker for a superstrat, especially Jacksons. One thing you could do is get a better one in decent used shape. I played a 2006 DK2M for years that was Japanese made and cost me just a few hundred bucks. JB/59 combo. You can still find them out there. Thing was shredding BEAST. Wish I still had that one.

Spend more money and bought a new one a few years ago (Mexican made) that didn't compare. Just sold that one to help pay for my new Kemper.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 05:31 AM
    Liked 9,107 Times in 6,549 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    didnt Jeff Healey play a Squire with upgraded pups? I read that somewhere a while back.
    Yes.
    His main guitar was a Fender Squire Bullet that had replacement pickups added. I want to say 'Lawrence' or 'Evans', yet can't recall for sure off the top of my head.

*Edit*
    I looked it up... The pickups were indeed made by Evans.
    Last edited by RRvh1; 02.20.19 at 07:45 AM.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

07.21.19 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 1,657 Times in 889 Posts

Iím not railing on buying inexpensive guitars Iíve done it myself of course. My point is I would rather spend the money to build one that I want than having to make do with one thatís cheap, and need to replace everything, just for the sake of being cheap. In the end it really isnít that cheap.

And if youíre buying a $100 guitar youíre still getting a $100 guitar. Youíre not magically getting a great guitar, I donít care what year it is. Things havenít changed THAT much.
    And this is the question behind my OP - is it worth it? If I can get a cheap guitar made from the same wood and cut on the same CNC machine as the good variant, and upgrade to the same spec for half the price as that factory -made good guitar $300 all in for a 2nd hand cheapo instead of $600 for a second hand MIM/MIC then isn't it a no-brainer?

I don't expect it to compete with a $2000 guitar - only a $600-$800 guitar. I'm sure my EVH bumblebee can't compete with a Suhr, PRS or Hamer custom shop but it's more than good enough and plenty of pros play them along with the MIM Charvels (built at the same plant), Kramers and Ibanez.

But if you're saying that it won't be good enough to do even that - but will be cobbled from inferior wood and craftmanship and so will just be a nicely polished turd compared to a MIM Charvel/EVH then that's different and I'll be reluctant to spend my money. So is this what you're getting at?

The one saving grace, even if it'll just be a nicely painted plank of wood, is that I can vary for my videos and get a nice, risk-free introduction to home building by replacing trems and PU.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Default Cheapy cheapy

I think it really just depends on the guitar. Youíve heard some guys say here theyíve have done really well with very cheap guitars. And then some are just junk. I think it really just depends on the guitar, I donít think itís a price point thing. I think you should do some more research on some of these cheaper versions and see what the general consensus is. If you can get away with it and make some minimal changes to make it a solid guitar then sure itís worth it. But if youíre just going to put lipstick on a pig then to me itís definitely not worth it. The foundation has to be there.

The thing with a lot of super strats is I really donít like pointy headstocks, I just think theyíre very dated looking. So for me I donít wanna neck like that. So Jacksons just arenít my style. So then Iím usually looking for some kind a Fender/Charvel thing.
    Webmaster

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

10.18.19 @ 06:29 AM
    Liked 4,527 Times in 1,713 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Agreed with Brett - it depends on the guitar. When you're dealing with budget axes the Quality Control always has a wide range. You can find some gems and some dogs in the budget price range.

The EVH Wolfgang Standard I bought is one of the nicer ones I've played. I got it used for a steal of a price and have used it as a modding platform.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 02:17 AM
    Liked 1,917 Times in 1,098 Posts

Gibson guitars have been suspect for a very long time. Quality control has been awful.
    My black Les Paul Standard is a '90 and the Sunburst is an '00. I know my SG Standard is an '03 but I've never checked what the Classic is.

I forgot to mention I've also got a USA Charvel San Dimas in Slime Green like Dweezil's. The MIM Strat and Teles and EX Series Ibanes still compare.

I think for celebrities it's still perception. If you charge $200 for a ticket and then someone recognizes you're using a $200 guitar, they feel gyped? Or it's like my aunt sells real estate and bought a Mercedes. I said, "You could sell houses in a Camry." She said, "Real estate is about image." Aha! You can't roll up to sell a million dollar house in a Dodge Neon, I guess. Gotta look the role.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 02:17 AM
    Liked 1,917 Times in 1,098 Posts

Here's where "more expensive means better" falls apart for me.l:

Gibsons, PRS, Taylor and Martin all use nitrocellulose lacquer finishes. Guitar stands will melt it. Endust will ruin it. Off! will ruin it. Just sweat on it while playing under hot lights and if you don't rub it out with car polish right away, your sweat will forever be embedded in it.

Strats and "cheap" guitars use polyurethane finishes. Virtually nothing affects it, just a squirt of Dunlop 65 and your guitar can be beautiful forever. And this is the "inferior" stuff?

Pricier guitars usually also have set/glued necks. If something bad happens, there's no just screwing a new one on like a "cheap" bolt-on guitar. And Gibson headstocks are known to be at an angle prone to breaks (it's happened to me), and the "Deluxe" Klusons get the job done (plastic buttons?), but no way they feel as sturdy as a classic Fender tuning machines (all metal!).

Over in acoustic world, Martins and Taylors are "solid woods," meaning they'll crack and warp in a minute if left in a hot car, or are just moved from a damp to dry climate too abruptly. The necks are also known to curl and have to be reset over time. Yamahas are "laminate" wood that's not so prone to cracks and warping, and the necks are known to be good for at least 50 years. I've seen guys with pricy Taylors that looked trashed and they were maybe 20 years old.

So weird that the "cheap" guitars come with more durable construction and finishes.