Favorite VH Album

II, Diver Down, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

03.09.17 @ 07:54 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default 5150 guitar build question

I'm looking to build a 5150 guitar replica... getting the body from Locke Guitars and the neck from Musikraft...

Anyway, for the neck, Muskraft offers it raw, with lacquer, or with tung Oil.
    I'm just wondering if anyone can explain the pros and cons of each?

Any other tips, tricks, advice, etc. on building a 5150 replica is also welcome.
    I've never built a guitar from scratch before, but I've taken them completely apart to paint and put them back together, so I'm guessing I shouldn't have too many problems doing this.

Here are the links to the body and neck I'm looking at, along with the neck finish options:

https://musikraft.com/cmspage.php?page_id=34

https://musikraft.com/product-info.php?pid445.html

http://www.lockecustomguitars.com/gu...s?product_id=2

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Last Online

09.23.19 @ 05:02 AM
    Liked 4,486 Times in 1,700 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Raw = literally just raw, plain wood.
    Lacquer = think factory gloss finished neck
    Tung Oil = Similar to EBMM or Wolfgang neck finishes, just an oil finish

It's all down to your preference. I prefer oil finish necks. Lacquer catches my hand and slows me down.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

09.20.19 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 3,687 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

Congrats on taking this on! I built a Franky with zero experience doing so (I barely knew how to set up a guitar...and really still don't ), I can tell you it's absolutely possible and you'll have a great time doing it.

As for the neck finishes, I'm hardly an expert, but I can give it a whirl:

I think the site does a decent job of describing what each of the options entails. It also depends on how accurate you want the guitar to be.

I'm pretty sure the Kramer neck was unfinished, meaning Ed played it raw and the grease on his hands "treated" the wood (at least according to him). For those of us that wash regularly and don't play 11 hours a day, Tru-Oil (gunstock finisher) is the go-to to get the natural look and feel while still giving some protection. You don't really want to leave it raw, obviously, as it won't hold up well.

If you're going to relic it (put on graphite powder for looks, etc.), you'll probably want to do that before putting oil on it. I personally haven't painted a headstock on an oiled guitar and I'm not sure how it would react exactly, but I'm guessing it might be better to paint the raw headstock.

While the oiled neck isn't as bulletproof as lacquer, it will hold up just fine under normal wear and tear assuming you give it periodic attention.

Obviously lacquer is the finished type neck you would find on most guitars. It's easier to maintain and holds up well over time. If you want to paint the headstock like Ed, you'll want to sand the lacquer off the headstock first. It's not that difficult to do, but it will cost you some significant elbow grease if you don't have a power tool for it.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

01.08.19 @ 08:26 PM
    Liked 1,391 Times in 814 Posts

Hey man. Good on ya!
    It comes down to what you want really initially, and what (if any) finish you want to apply.
    Raw wood is fine, but keep in mind that with no finish, the wood is like a sponge, and excess moisture from climatic changes can cause the neck to in most cases move, and change it's shape. In shipping, this can be obvious out of the gate. In worst case scenarios, you can develop a warp, but I wouldn't worry too much coming from Musikraft. They pack real well from what I hear.Just keep in mind that some sort of finish will keep the neck from absorbing, or losing moisture with the seasons. It can cause some playabliity issues, like buzzing, or conversely a higher action in the middle of the neck.
    Put it this way....On my SG, which has a very thin finish, I have to adjust the truss rod at least twice a year. In the winter, the wood dries a bit, and it flattens out, and even the fret ends even stick out a bit, so I have to knock the truss rod back a 1/4, to 1/2 turn. In the summer, it's the opposite. The neck gets more relief because humidity is more present, and the wood absorbs moisture, and I have to add a 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

If you get the neck raw, I would suggest using either Birchwood Casey's Gunstock oil. It's a great choice, and uses Japan driers which create a hardened finish. (EBMM used this in conjunction with beeswax BTW.) It seals the neck, but doesn't feel tacky....Still feels like raw wood.
    It gets real dirty....but you've seen the 5150!

Lacquer is great. Can't really go wrong here...Again, just depends on what kind of finish you like. When gloss, it CAN feel a bit sticky when playing, but you can either request a satin, which is a bit better, or better yet, use 000 steelwool in a crosshatch pattern to create a barewood feel.
    Only other consideration with lacquer, is it will chip and flake eventually. I personally like that kinda beaten up factory, broken in, and played look, but you might not.

Tungoil
    I'm a little out of my element here....I imagine if applied well, it's fine, but I've used boiled linseed oil. I know tungoil can be a real nightmare if it's applied heavy....but again, Musikraft know their shit. Sure it's fine. It'll look quite natural though, and oils (including Birchwood Caseys) really make the grain detail on the neck pop.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Last edited by we die young; 03.02.17 at 11:10 AM.

Favorite VH Album

5150 / 1984
    Favorite VH Song

BOBW / Panama
    Last Online

07.31.19 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 249 Times in 94 Posts

hello and good luck with your 5150.

I purchased my 5150 neck and body from KNE guitars. I used tung-oil on it and mixed in a darker stain to achieve the blotches look on the fret board. Eddie originally sanded those areas on his fretboard and the blotches in those areas are dirt on the unfinished wood.
    I just kinda tried to draw the designs as I saw them from pictures. After I stained it I put another coat of tung-oil.

I used schwinn formula sunset orange and cotton white spray paint from this site.
    http://www.hyper-formance.com/paints.htm Eddie used Schwinn sunset orange on his.

KNEguitars has the perfect 5150 stickers that are free with the 5150 body. I added the black marker lines around the numbers like Eddie's.

I also highly recommend a cheap hd projector off amazon. You can put in a picture of the 5150 on a thumb drive and shine it on your painted white guitar and put on the tape exactly where they need to be.

print a ton of pictures of the sides and back so the tape make sense when you are taping the sides to the back. Have fun with it and take your time!

Last edited by Zaxxon5150; 03.03.17 at 05:49 AM.
    Now comes my favorite part of the show. It's my favorite part of the whole evening. We've been on tour since March and I have no better time anytime then right now because I get to go sit down, have myself a nice cold one and listen to the greatest rock n'roll guitar player in the world. Mr. Eddie Van Halen. - Sammy Hagar

6. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

09.23.19 @ 12:33 AM
    Liked 9,058 Times in 6,509 Posts

Premium Member

Great advice & photos, Zaxxon5150!
    Love the partially visible R2-D2 as well. Haha
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Unchained
    Last Online

01.11.19 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Good for you I have a Locke Body myself and would love it relic'ed but it's way out of my capabilities. Anybody want to offer up some service

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

01.08.19 @ 08:26 PM
    Liked 1,391 Times in 814 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxon5150 View Post
    hello and good luck with your 5150.

I purchased my 5150 neck and body from KNE guitars. I used tung-oil on it and mixed in a darker stain to achieve the blotches look on the fret board. Eddie originally sanded those areas on his fretboard and the blotches in those areas are dirt on the unfinished wood.
    I just kinda tried to draw the designs as I saw them from pictures. After I stained it I put another coat of tung-oil.

I used schwinn formula sunset orange and cotton white spray paint from this site.
    http://www.hyper-formance.com/paints.htm Eddie used Schwinn sunset orange on his.

KNEguitars has the perfect 5150 stickers that are free with the 5150 body. I added the black marker lines around the numbers like Eddie's.

I also highly recommend a cheap hd projector off amazon. You can put in a picture of the 5150 on a thumb drive and shine it on your painted white guitar and put on the tape exactly where they need to be.

print a ton of pictures of the sides and back so the tape make sense when you are taping the sides to the back. Have fun with it and take your time!

This is just great advice man! But.......I couldn't help but notice you've got an R2 unit hangin' out in the lower right of that 2nd. last pic. You told the guy to get a "cheap HD projector off Amazon".
    This coming from a guy who owns a friggin' bionical that shoots Goddam 3D holograms onto a blank guitar!!!! Way to screw us over, and leave us in the dust dude! No wonder that guitar turned out amazing! So tell me..is he gonna get the same results from that cheap HD projector? C'mon.
    Last edited by we die young; 03.03.17 at 02:00 PM.

Favorite VH Album

5150 / 1984
    Favorite VH Song

BOBW / Panama
    Last Online

07.31.19 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 249 Times in 94 Posts

If you remember this R2 unit was a real bargain according to c3po. Hilarious guys! R5D4 was a little more van halen-ish though.
    Now comes my favorite part of the show. It's my favorite part of the whole evening. We've been on tour since March and I have no better time anytime then right now because I get to go sit down, have myself a nice cold one and listen to the greatest rock n'roll guitar player in the world. Mr. Eddie Van Halen. - Sammy Hagar

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

07.12.18 @ 07:43 PM
    Liked 212 Times in 103 Posts

I think I've told you this before, but that is a great looking 5150, Zaxxon!

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

On Fire
    Last Online

09.23.19 @ 05:09 AM
    Liked 130 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Man, that's a great looking 5150!

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.02.18 @ 04:34 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Gorgeous!!! All that work though, I'm not that handy. I think I will just purchase the EVH Striped Series 5150 coming out soon.

Favorite VH Album

II, Diver Down, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

03.09.17 @ 07:54 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys! Much appreciated!!

As soon as the body and neck come in I can get started. I'm very much looking forward to it.

Last Online

07.12.18 @ 07:43 PM
    Liked 212 Times in 103 Posts

Question about the neckpocket on the 5150. I have a replica body (can't remember who made it) where the neckpocket is not as deep as my old B and C series Pacers. So the fretboard sits higher off the body. My E-plate Baretta is the same way.

Pics to show comparison...

C-plate Pacer

E-plate Baretta

My question is... does the actual 5150 have the deeper neck pocket like the early Pacers? I would assume so. And do the better replica makers get that right? Planning to start a new 5150 project, and would prefer the deeper neckpocket.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

09.22.19 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 315 Times in 76 Posts

That's a good question, I haven't heard anyone really ask that before. Here's probably the best photo I have to answer it.

20. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: