Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

04.16.19 @ 08:50 PM
    Liked 1,024 Times in 355 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    If what you want isn't readily available and you're sure of the specs you want (reference your favorite feeling guitars), then go for the partscaster. I'd stay away from BYO kits though, they look super cheap in terms of quality.
    There is a reason why the EVH striped guitars were in the 700-900 retail price. Anyone who has built a super-strat knows thatís around the price for quality components. Itís probably risen in the last few years but I think that was the goal at the time. And the painting was already done! Personally, there is a great deal of satisfaction assembling pieces to make your own custom guitar. More so if you make your own body and neck. Either way, going cheap usually ends in regret.

Unless it ways a mitey mite...$200 for a neck and body was a steal.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.22.19 @ 02:15 AM
    Liked 15,720 Times in 6,831 Posts

Default Building a guitar......

Quote Originally Posted by BlofeldsCat View Post
    I hear ya. Guess I just got overwhelmed with the choices of what I *do* know about as well as the bots that I don't. I reckon I can just pick pretty much any input jack, jumbo frets and tuners and quickly get advice on the rest. Still not convinced about painting a guitar or of cobbling parts from various sources as unsure what I'm looking for to make sure they fit together.
    You donít have to paint it, you can buy a body already factory-painted. The only time I havenít bought a factory-painted guitar are on the stripe ones Iíve done that Iíve painted myself.

You should be just fine buying parts from all over as long as theyíre just standardized parts.

I just donít wanna spend a good wedge on a cheapo if itís shit. Would rather take the chance on a Warmy.
    I agree I donít think youíll have much issue if you buy a better axe, just take your time.

an you get various grades of the same wood - of mahogany, alder, maple? Good to know Warmouth are high-end, though. What's KNE?
    KNE Guitars is another guy who makes EVH-type stuff. He makes great bodies and necks although he will not cut a Strat headstock for you because he doesnít have the rights. Yes he does it for me on the down low but thatís because I know him and Iíve bought a lot of stuff from him. He will not do it for anyone else as he does not want to get in trouble. He is local for me so I love using his stuff and I have his necks on almost everything. I actually drive to his house to pick my stuff up. So basically my custom guitars all feel the same.

All these striped guitars are KNE necks and bodies. And the neck on that Dave Murray thing is too.

If it really isnít hard and all you need is a drill - which is one DIY tool I do have - then Iím ready to give it a shot. You only live once. That guitar looks great. Love the flame finish - I'm guessing that was factory done not yourself? How was the quality and if you can, what would it retail for if sold by Ibanez/Jackon/Charvel (Jap or Mexico-made)?
    Yeah it was on the Warmoth site. I just picked one I liked and bought it. I had them drill the holes where I wanted and that was it. It was an amazing guitar but like I said I just didnít play it a lot, so I wanted it to have a good home. To me it was easily an $1,100 guitar if it had a name brand on it. It had a real German Floyd on it, Schaller tuners, and a Wolfgang pickup. It was a quality axe that sounded great.

Any reason why the headstock is blank and without the Fender logo as Iíve seen others have?
    Because it ainít a Fender.

I donít put any logos on my headstocks, unless Iím making a 5150 and I put the Kramer one on there.

Looks great. See the jack? I want that on the side but inverted. Is that possible to get that routed by the company?
    You want a Strat jack on the side of the body?

So let this thread be the start of education so anyone wanna dive in with answers to my above questions, or the ins and outs of trem block post drilling, or whether you need specific tuning pegs for a FR, then go ahead please.
    Youíre not going to drill the trem holes. You need to buy a body that already has Floyd holes in it, or if you buy it from Warmoth they do it as part of the price. Most companies do drill them for you. I would never buy one where I have to drill them myself.

You donít need specific tuning pegs for a Floyd. Just make sure they are inline for a Strat neck if thatís what youíre going for.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

As for Floyds - the FRT-1000s are great, built of the same metals as the OFRs. It's what would be stock on a San Dimas or an EVH.
    The guitar I actually just bought is a Charvel DK24. It has a Floyd FRT-3000 on it (itís gold) and itís awesome. Itís every bit as good as the German-made ones to me. I would definitely recommend going that route if youíre going to put a Floyd on it. Iíve put the cheaper Floyd Specials on a couple of mine and I donít think theyíre that good. Theyíre definitely noticeably less in quality.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

04.21.19 @ 03:30 PM
    Liked 15,064 Times in 7,920 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    You don’t have to paint it, you can buy a body already factory-painted. The only time I haven’t bought a factory-painted guitar are on the stripe ones I’ve done that I’ve painted myself.

You should be just fine buying parts from all over as long as they’re just standardized parts.

I agree I don’t think you’ll have much issue if you buy a better axe, just take your time.

KNE Guitars is another guy who makes EVH-type stuff. He makes great bodies and necks although he will not cut a Strat headstock for you because he doesn’t have the rights. Yes he does it for me on the down low but that’s because I know him and I’ve bought a lot of stuff from him. He will not do it for anyone else as he does not want to get in trouble. He is local for me so I love using his stuff and I have his necks on almost everything. I actually drive to his house to pick my stuff up. So basically my custom guitars all feel the same.

All these striped guitars are KNE necks and bodies. And the neck on that Dave Murray-thing is too.

Yeah it was on the Warmoth site. I just picked one I liked and bought it. I had them drill the holes where I wanted and that was it. It was an amazing guitar but like I said I just didn’t play it a lot, so I wanted it to have a good home. To me it was easily an $1,100 guitar if it had a name brand on it. It had a real German Floyd on it, Schaller tuners, and a Wolfgang pickup. It was a quality axe that sounded great.

Because it ain’t a Fender.

I don’t put any logos on my headstocks, unless I’m making a 5150 and I put the Kramer one on there.

You want a Strat jack on the side of the body?

You’re not going to drill the trem holes. You need to buy a body that already has Floyd holes in it, or if you buy it from Warmoth they do it as part of the price. Most companies do drill them for you. I would never buy one where I have to drill them myself.

You don’t need specific tuning pegs for a Floyd. Just make sure they are inline for a Strat neck if that’s what you’re going for.
    Lol, that explains why my bridge is slightly off on the one guitar I built years ago.

I originally put the non locking bar from my Ibanez on it and then I bought a Floyd later. Of course the holes didn't line up so i drilled them myself. I probably should have taken it somewhere but I was 19 and impatient so I didn't.

Of course when I got the thing on I noticed it was slightly crooked. I was able to adjust the saddles a little bit to compensate but it still is off.

Oh well. Too bad this site didn't exist in 1994.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Haha. Yeah man I donít take chances with the trem holes. I have those drilled, I want them to be perfect. The other stuff I can drill, itís easy.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

04.22.19 @ 12:28 AM
    Liked 8,706 Times in 6,263 Posts

Premium Member

Warmoth will not only drill the trem holes, they will install the studs for $10.00. You either have to buy a trem from them, or mail the studs/anchors of your choice to them after ordering.
    I wish I had got them to do in the for my body. I hemmed and hawed for quite a while about trying to install them myself, yet pulled the plug today and went for it.

My Warmoth build thread (Sambora USA tribute replica) had some updates and pics by me this afternoon.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

04.20.19 @ 11:18 PM
    Liked 3,405 Times in 2,178 Posts

I know how you feel, Blofeld.
    I've been wanting build one too but have been skeptical I could actually do it.
    And yes, the specs can be confusing.
    But once you do a little research on each topic, know exactly what you want, it's not so confusing anymore.

Seeing what everyone has built here, and other places, hearing the stories and specifics....
    That has definitely made more comfortable and more confident I could it.

As said, most everything is pre drilled. Don't have to worry about screwing that up.
    At this point the only thing I'm weary about is the wiring. Never did that before either.

When I have the extra money I want to give it a try though. Going big right off the bat when I do. No practice.

Plus, if you get stuck people can point you in the right direction.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

04.20.19 @ 11:18 PM
    Liked 3,405 Times in 2,178 Posts

I agree about the volume knob being a shade to close on the Soloist. I am turning it when I don't want to sometimes. It's not something you can't work with but it would better a little lower.

My only two issues would that and the frets. Within two years they were dented.
    Neck thru, so, fret job. SS next time.
    Thankfully, you don't have to worry bout the latter with a build, though.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

04.19.19 @ 07:40 AM
    Liked 3,520 Times in 1,740 Posts

Premium Member

If you're comfortable taking apart a guitar and putting it back together, you can build your own guitar. Everything should fit if you do your research on the specs and make sure you're ordering the right stuff.

I'm not handy in the least but I built a RBW franky, so it's possible if you have the will to do it.

As for vendors, out of curiosity I looked it up and www.divebombinc.com is back up and running*

*For anyone not familiar with them, let's just say the guy doesn't have the best track record, so definitely avoid it.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

04.21.19 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 1,628 Times in 874 Posts

So that was pretty easy. Only took an hour to gen up on all the boring stuff. Only area of uncertainty is the choice of body wood and I don't have the option of hearing comparisons of the same spec guitars but with different woods. Basswood is nice and light though all the descriptions of the other types is meaningless blurb, like describing wine: 'rich tone, smoothes mid-range notes,, nice depth but with a bright edge' = 'fruity with a bitter aftertaste, hints of rainy autumn days that trail off to a savoury tingle on the tongue. If in doubt I'll prob go for alder as it's been a staple for years and is higher quality than basswood. But then so too has poplar and swamp ash lol.

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Premium Member

I went with Alder as well...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

How would you rate Musikraft compared to a) Warmouth and b) the EVH Stripe Series?

They're much more affordable than Warmouth but I don't want to regret paying out for one.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I went with Alder as well...
    How did that work out for you? Had you ever had an alder guitar until then or did you copy the spec from Sambora? In hindsight would you have chosen another wood?

Like I said, basswood is nice - no probs with my RG or EVH but I'm conscious that high-end guitars tend not to use basswood (at least not 80s guitars) so unless it was an undiscovered secret 30 years ago then I'm inclined to think it's not the best. Then again, it's only a small jump in price to go alder/swamp/poplar so that doesn't hint at a gulf in quality.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Answer me, damn it! It's been several minutes now! I've never known such insolence!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Premium Member

How did that work out for you? Had you ever had an alder guitar until then or did you copy the spec from Sambora? In hindsight would you have chosen another wood?

Like I said, basswood is nice - no probs with my RG or EVH but I'm conscious that high-end guitars tend not to use basswood (at least not 80s guitars) so unless it was an undiscovered secret 30 years ago then I'm inclined to think it's not the best. Then again, it's only a small jump in price to go alder/swamp/poplar so that doesn't hint at a gulf in quality.
    I went with Alder and the specific pickups that were in the USA Sambora strat.
    Loved the tone and feel of that guitar. Only thing I ditched was the 9v powered mid boost circuit, that I never used anyway.

I'm the wrong guy to ask about wood choices and specs etc. as this is my first build from scratch.