Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

04.19.19 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 478 Times in 300 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Man I miss old time head shops. Those were the best. In the last year I stopped by an old way station up on the Gold Coast between Salinas and LA. Was still there, still selling the water pipes, the black light posters, the incense, the pewter figurines, the fat stoned cat up on the shelf, and yep, the same owner, now even more grizzled than me, the standard stereotype touchstone dreadlocked white dude still running his pirate anti-govt radio station outta the shop.

He did not remember my teenaged punk ass, but to be fair, I have a bit more facial hair and gray these days. Not as much as him...but he was old 30 years ago.

I think I picked up a signed vinyl copy of Jailbreak '74 and some screens last time I actually patronized a true head shop. The owner of that particular shop in Reseda actually had photos of Angus signing every accadacca record in his shop when he'd come in.
    Lol in Aug of 1979 I followed a certain band and their handlers into a Head Shop next door to a Peaches Record Store...theyíd just done and instore appearance...to meet them in the store you had to buy their new album...I already had it, besides I was a broke 12 year old...but they were my favorite band, thatís why i rode my bike to the Record Store. Didnít find out about the have to buy the album to meet the band until I got to the store.

I waited outside the roped off section. When the instore was over I hung around in the store flipping through albums...San i was leaving I saw the band and (what was probably their peeps) duck into the Head Shop. I followed. Got to meet all four of them...the drummer was cool, he was all fired up about me riding my huffy with the banana seat to the Peaches just to meet them. He introduced me, somewhat, to the other members...the bassist, the guitarist (quiet, kinda shy little guy ((even at 12 I was a big guy)) The singer who said hi, but brushed me off pretty quickly. The drummer signed a Heineken beer bottle on the label for me, that he had just finished...I donít know how in broad daylight I rode home on my bike carrying a smelly beer bottle in my hand and didnít get stopped.
    When a I got home my mother saw me with the bottle and lost it. She didnít care who signed it, she took it from me and I never saw it again. (She could care less that Alex Van Halen signed it). My older brother, who was cool, somehow talked my mother into letting him take me to see the band that night. He had taken me to my first concert the summer before and he knew I really liked this band. It was at Cleveland Public Hall, the concert was loud...most of the other concert goers where nuts...honestly I only remember flashes, since it was 40 years ago. I do remember buying a bootleg concert t-shirt as we were leaving for $5...that lasted about three washes before it was a rag.

That was my first Van Halen show.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

3. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

04.19.19 @ 07:03 PM
    Liked 2,952 Times in 1,879 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by wombattt View Post
    Lol in Aug of 1979 I followed a certain band and their handlers into a Head Shop next door to a Peaches Record Store...theyíd just done and instore appearance...to meet them in the store you had to buy their new album...I already had it, besides I was a broke 12 year old...but they were my favorite band, thatís why i rode my bike to the Record Store. Didnít find out about the have to buy the album to meet the band until I got to the store.

I waited outside the roped off section. When the instore was over I hung around in the store flipping through albums...San i was leaving I saw the band and (what was probably their peeps) duck into the Head Shop. I followed. Got to meet all four of them...the drummer was cool, he was all fired up about me riding my huffy with the banana seat to the Peaches just to meet them. He introduced me, somewhat, to the other members...the bassist, the guitarist (quiet, kinda shy little guy ((even at 12 I was a big guy)) The singer who said hi, but brushed me off pretty quickly. The drummer signed a Heineken beer bottle on the label for me, that he had just finished...I donít know how in broad daylight I rode home on my bike carrying a smelly beer bottle in my hand and didnít get stopped.
    When a I got home my mother saw me with the bottle and lost it. She didnít care who signed it, she took it from me and I never saw it again. (She could care less that Alex Van Halen signed it). My older brother, who was cool, somehow talked my mother into letting him take me to see the band that night. He had taken me to my first concert the summer before and he knew I really liked this band. It was at Cleveland Public Hall, the concert was loud...most of the other concert goers where nuts...honestly I only remember flashes, since it was 40 years ago. I do remember buying a bootleg concert t-shirt as we were leaving for $5...that lasted about three washes before it was a rag.

For fuckís sake that is a bitchiní Van Halen story. I had a banana seat huffy myself.

Gawd if only you had that beer Alex signed. Lifetime keepsake that woulda been.

Ah, the days when VH did meet n greets.

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 7,218 Times in 3,591 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Man I miss old time head shops. Those were the best. In the last year I stopped by an old way station up on the Gold Coast between Salinas and LA. Was still there, still selling the water pipes, the black light posters, the incense, the pewter figurines, the fat stoned cat up on the shelf, and yep, the same owner, now even more grizzled than me, the standard stereotype touchstone dreadlocked white dude still running his pirate anti-govt radio station outta the shop.

He did not remember my teenaged punk ass, but to be fair, I have a bit more facial hair and gray these days. Not as much as him...but he was old 30 years ago.

I think I picked up a signed vinyl copy of Jailbreak '74 and some screens last time I actually patronized a true head shop. The owner of that particular shop in Reseda actually had photos of Angus signing every accadacca record in his shop when he'd come in.
    Do people still burn incense? I havenít seen or heard of that shit for a minute. I think we all had that friend who would fire some incense up when the joint got lit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last Online

04.19.19 @ 07:03 PM
    Liked 2,952 Times in 1,879 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    Do people still burn incense? I havenít seen or heard of that shit for a minute. I think we all had that friend who would fire some incense up when the joint got lit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol. I know some shaman types who still do. I never cared for it myself. I smell it takes me straight back to high school. That and clove cigs. Didnít someone around here admit they still smoke cloves? I smell them occasionally at shows and it makes me gag. Smoked too many Djarums in grade school.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

04.19.19 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 22,461 Times in 12,792 Posts

Premium Member

Lol in Aug of 1979 I followed a certain band and their handlers into a Head Shop next door to a Peaches Record Store...they’d just done and instore appearance...to meet them in the store you had to buy their new album...I already had it, besides I was a broke 12 year old...but they were my favorite band, that’s why i rode my bike to the Record Store. Didn’t find out about the have to buy the album to meet the band until I got to the store.

I waited outside the roped off section. When the instore was over I hung around in the store flipping through albums...San i was leaving I saw the band and (what was probably their peeps) duck into the Head Shop. I followed. Got to meet all four of them...the drummer was cool, he was all fired up about me riding my huffy with the banana seat to the Peaches just to meet them. He introduced me, somewhat, to the other members...the bassist, the guitarist (quiet, kinda shy little guy ((even at 12 I was a big guy)) The singer who said hi, but brushed me off pretty quickly. The drummer signed a Heineken beer bottle on the label for me, that he had just finished...I don’t know how in broad daylight I rode home on my bike carrying a smelly beer bottle in my hand and didn’t get stopped.
    When a I got home my mother saw me with the bottle and lost it. She didn’t care who signed it, she took it from me and I never saw it again. (She could care less that Alex Van Halen signed it). My older brother, who was cool, somehow talked my mother into letting him take me to see the band that night. He had taken me to my first concert the summer before and he knew I really liked this band. It was at Cleveland Public Hall, the concert was loud...most of the other concert goers where nuts...honestly I only remember flashes, since it was 40 years ago. I do remember buying a bootleg concert t-shirt as we were leaving for $5...that lasted about three washes before it was a rag.

What an awesome story and amazing experience!
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

04.19.19 @ 11:49 AM
    Liked 6,156 Times in 3,179 Posts

Lol in Aug of 1979 I followed a certain band and their handlers into a Head Shop next door to a Peaches Record Store...they’d just done and instore appearance...to meet them in the store you had to buy their new album...I already had it, besides I was a broke 12 year old...but they were my favorite band, that’s why i rode my bike to the Record Store. Didn’t find out about the have to buy the album to meet the band until I got to the store.

I waited outside the roped off section. When the instore was over I hung around in the store flipping through albums...San i was leaving I saw the band and (what was probably their peeps) duck into the Head Shop. I followed. Got to meet all four of them...the drummer was cool, he was all fired up about me riding my huffy with the banana seat to the Peaches just to meet them. He introduced me, somewhat, to the other members...the bassist, the guitarist (quiet, kinda shy little guy ((even at 12 I was a big guy)) The singer who said hi, but brushed me off pretty quickly. The drummer signed a Heineken beer bottle on the label for me, that he had just finished...I don’t know how in broad daylight I rode home on my bike carrying a smelly beer bottle in my hand and didn’t get stopped.
    When a I got home my mother saw me with the bottle and lost it. She didn’t care who signed it, she took it from me and I never saw it again. (She could care less that Alex Van Halen signed it). My older brother, who was cool, somehow talked my mother into letting him take me to see the band that night. He had taken me to my first concert the summer before and he knew I really liked this band. It was at Cleveland Public Hall, the concert was loud...most of the other concert goers where nuts...honestly I only remember flashes, since it was 40 years ago. I do remember buying a bootleg concert t-shirt as we were leaving for $5...that lasted about three washes before it was a rag.

Great story.

You talking about Peaches on Pearl/42 and Ridge right?

Used to go there all the time but a few years later. I remember the headshop which was in the back. Great area since there was a adult video store and a White Castle right by it. Unfortunately no more White Caste

Last Online

04.19.19 @ 07:10 PM
    Liked 9,749 Times in 5,289 Posts

Premium Member

Ha! The Peaches in Eastlake on Vine St. had a head shop next to it also. Sunshine Headquarters, I believe.

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

04.18.19 @ 11:40 AM
    Liked 1,497 Times in 773 Posts

Premium Member

Montrose debut is great and is definitely underrated but as a Van Halen fan, yeah, 5150 all day long.
    "Swamp people doin' their swampy things." - bsbll4

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

04.19.19 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 478 Times in 300 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Ha! The Peaches in Eastlake on Vine St. had a head shop next to it also. Sunshine Headquarters, I believe.
    Thatís the one.

Rode my bike from Wickliffe
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

04.19.19 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 1,336 Times in 898 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Stephens View Post
    I never touch drugs, I will pray for you

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Me neither.

Only weed.

Not a drug.
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

"ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.19.19 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 15,714 Times in 6,828 Posts

Default 5150 or Montrose?

Thereís nothing wrong with weed, itís certainly a better medicinal option than opioids that eats your body away.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

The smell of weed is definitely preferable to the smell of nicotine.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

04.18.19 @ 11:40 AM
    Liked 1,497 Times in 773 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    The smell of weed is definitely preferable to the smell of nicotine.
    oooh, as a former cigarette smoker and one who has never used marijuana, I stronger disagree with that one. I find the smell of MJ very, very strong and unpleasant.
    "Swamp people doin' their swampy things." - bsbll4

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlindtotheWorld View Post
    oooh, as a former cigarette smoker and one who has never used marijuana, I stronger disagree with that one. I find the smell of MJ very, very strong and unpleasant.
    I have never smoked either one, but it's marijuana all day long and twice on 4/20.