Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

07.14.19 @ 09:50 PM
    Liked 4,100 Times in 2,562 Posts

I guess 88 and I are the resident Spicoli's. I tried everything but Heroin at least once.
    Weed was the only thing I would use with regularity when I was younger.
    Now, it's very rarely.
    Everybody in my HS was doing drugs. Virtually impossible to not be around it. Even the preppies were using, sometimes.

I'm gonna do my best to quit smoking. Wish I could put that down. Never let any drug control my life except those damn things.
    Of course, if they didn't put those addictive chemicals in there I would be able to. Just like any other drug I've tried.

Last Online

08.23.19 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 3,864 Times in 2,446 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    I guess 88 and I are the resident Spicoli's. I tried everything but Heroin at least once.
    Now, it's very rarely.
    Everybody in my HS was doing drugs. Virtually impossible to not be around it. Even the preppies were using, sometimes.

I'm gonna do my best to quit smoking. Wish I could put that down. Never let any drug control my life except those damn things.
    Of course, if they didn't put those addictive chemicals in there I would be able to. Just like any other drug I've tried.
    Everybody at my high school too. And a fair amount in grade school. I dunno why, but in my gold coast redneck of the woods, we started the curve early on virtually anything we weren't supposed to. We often concluded the only reason we didn't do the big H is 'cause it wasn't readily available at our locale...and meth and crack weren't quite in vogue yet in the more rural areas of SoCal, though that changed pretty quick in the 90's, and nowadays is rampant, obviously.

Good luck with the tobaccy quitting. It's often said that tobacco is literally the hardest vice to quit second only to heroin and meth. Weed will help, especially if you smoke it via blunts, but here's a big tip....the oral fixation is one of the hardest withdrawals after the nicotine...lollipops (esp Dum Dums and Tootsie pops), matches, and toothpicks. Have somethin' to chew on whenever possible. If you can get get through the first 60 days, you're through the hardest part.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 1,680 Times in 898 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Now, it's very rarely.

I'm similar. Have done everything except H and still occasionally do indulge, maybe 2 or 3 times/year. Gave up daily weed about 15 years ago and these days smoke maybe 6 times/year. I always have some at home but rarely feel like being stoned anymore. Gave up tobacco 7 years ago. It's a tough one and for the first 2 or 3 years I still loved the smell but can't stand it now and have absolutely no desire to smoke tobacco again. Cigs are super addictive, all the others, except probably weed, i've never felt the need to go back to regularly. They are all great pain killers, including weed and i'm particularly interested in the use of psychedelics to treat mental illness, ptsd etc.. They need to be respected, there is something there that we need to spend more time investigating.

I love beer and drink most days, not to excess. I have a few too many most weekends, but not all. My wife and I both like a drink, but we're happy and it's not a cause of any problems for us.
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

08.20.19 @ 02:14 PM
    Liked 2,322 Times in 1,276 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Don’t mess with the needle or the spoon. Did like my acid for about a two year period. Other than that, it was maryjane and hash for me.

And an absolute serious as shit congratulations to those that have quit cigs. Keep up the fight to those that are attempting.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 11:30 AM
    Liked 6,453 Times in 3,349 Posts

I did pretty much tried everything but H. Was too scared to try because I would have been hooked. Best drug for me was Acid. Did a bunch of it in the military if you can believe it. Can't be tested so everybody did it.

I don't have a problem with weed but if you use it like alcohol where you need to remove yourself from life on a daily basis, well then I think its not the wonder drug

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgia Act View Post
    Don’t mess with the needle or the spoon. Did like my acid for about a two year period. Other than that, it was maryjane and hash for me.
    Hash was great. We used to have a guy bring in blonde hash straight from Afghanistan, he was a kid of some kinda diplomatic envoy attaché that didn’t need to go through customs. It was potent to say the least. Lots of hours spent with the Atari 2600 or the Nintendo NES while smoking hashish.

And super hash...when we could get our hands on it...opium. We usually had to settle for the cheap green glass kind, but the good stuff...whew. That was a different kind of stoned. We’d hit a local beach sometimes while smoking opium where there was a train bridge 80 feet up crisscrossing the beach campgrounds, and run dares where you’d have to go out to one of the trestle safety platforms, wait for an Amtrak night express to come by at 70+, all high on opium, and see if you could hack it. The alcoves were only a few feet away from the speeding trains. It was another dipshit teenage adrenaline rush. The real danger was the passing train kicking up granite nuggets from the track ballast. One buddy got a concussion and almost lost an eye from a wayward rock.

Lol. Stupid hick shit to do while you’re under the influence of something or other.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 02:29 PM
    Liked 24,014 Times in 13,657 Posts

Premium Member

It's a minor miracle some of you guys are still alive.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Last Online

08.21.19 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 3,349 Times in 1,764 Posts

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    It's a minor miracle some of you guys are still alive.
    Pfft. That’s an understatement. I’m 20 some years past my expiration date.

I’ve been in no less than 6 major vehicular accidents, all while riding with someone under the influence of alcohol. One of them resulted in an old Ford pick up rolling 4 times, tossing me and the driver out the drivers side door while the truck landed right side up on top of us, still in gear. The 4x4 suspension was the only reason the underside chassis didn't squash us like pancakes and we were stupid lucky to have fallen between the two sets of tires, and the only reason it didn’t roll right over us was the front end was wedged in a roadside drain culvert. The impact paralyzed my friend nonetheless. Paraplegic until death at the age of 40. He never did stop drinking.

Lots of stupid drunk driving in the 80s in our redneck of the woods. Remember the days when kids could ride in the back of pickups unaccosted in the days before seatbelt laws? We used to do that in the back of a buddy’s tiny little Datsun 620 on the back roads, dead of night, headlights off, and he’d be weaving slalom style between the road turtles tossing us around the bed like bingo balls. He was an ass, actually, in retrospect.

Sigh. The 80s had a dark side. Excess was an illusion.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 02.12.19 at 09:13 AM.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Pfft. That’s an understatement. I’m 20 some years past my expiration date.

I’ve been in no less than 6 major vehicular accidents, all while riding with someone under the influence of alcohol. One of them resulted in an old Ford pick up rolling 4 times, tossing me and the driver out the drivers side door while the truck landed right side up on top of us, still in gear. The 4x4 suspension was the only reason the underside chassis didn't squash us like pancakes and we were stupid lucky to have fallen between the two sets of tires, and the only reason it didn’t roll right over us was the front end was wedged in a roadside drain culvert. The impact paralyzed my friend nonetheless. Paraplegic until death at the age of 40. He never did stop drinking.

Lots of stupid drunk driving in the 80s in our redneck of the woods. Remember the days when kids could ride in the back of pickups unaccosted in the days before seatbelt laws? We used to do that in the back of a buddy’s tiny little Datsun 620 on the back roads, dead of night, headlights off, and he’d be weaving slalom style between the road turtles tossing us around the bed like bingo balls. He was an ass, actually, in retrospect.

Sigh. The 80s had a dark side. Excess was an illusion.
    Damn.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

Last Online

Donor

Damn.
    Btw...I’m certainly not bragging about that shit. Quite the opposite. Me and the guys I grew up with are nothing if not cautionary tales.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 26,020 Times in 13,132 Posts

Premium Member

I think back on the stupid shit I did as a teenager and I honestly can't believe I am still alive.

Reckless was an understatement. There is reason they like drafting 18 year old teenagers to charge at machine gun nests.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Btw...I’m certainly not bragging about that shit. Quite the opposite. Me and the guys I grew up with are nothing if not cautionary tales.
    Horrible story about your friend become paralyzed and continuing to drink until dying at the age of 40. You were VERY lucky.

Last Online

Donor

Horrible story about your friend become paralyzed and continuing to drink until dying at the age of 40. You were VERY lucky.
    You ain’t kidding brother. I was unduly fortunate, for a dipshit white trash SoCal middle class VH lovin’ bozo. I wish I could say that wreck was a wake up call for the rest of us. Alas, I cannot. Empathy is hard for teens and twenty somethings, esp for Gen X, whose arrested apathy has already gone down in history as the worst of its kind.

I finally was forced to kick start the empathy tool through even more dire events. One of Gen X’s more endearing traits is needing a hammer to the head multiple times before learning how to duck.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 2,853 Times in 1,476 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

The vast majority of my stupidity was done 1/4 mile at a time.
    -TVH-

There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult. -Warren Buffett

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford