Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 220 Times in 114 Posts

Default :::What Does It Mean To You, If VH Tours This Summer?

I post on a number of forums, but it's only on this forum, that I have a genuine like and appreciation of some of the posters.

I'm not looking to rain on anyone's parade, but I see the enthusiasm of some posters about a 2019 summer tour, and I don't quite understand their enthusiasm.

Am I alone in this?

The only thing that would/could get me excited about Van Halen, is if the band were to exit with something unique. As other posters have mentioned, this year, Led Zeppelin has issued several unique items in celebration of the band.

If Van Halen were to do something like that; if they were to make peace, and reunite with, Mike, in the right way, if, if, if...hell yeah; I'd be stoked.

2015's tour showed a spiritless and bored EVH. His playing was flawless, but look at how DLR tried to play off of Ed; most times, it wasn't reciprocated. Wolf is a gifted musician and I respect his work, but he and Mike approach the stage very differently.

Conversely, the Circle's latest single sucks. The lyrics suck. Sam's singing isn't that great. I very much like VJ's tone, but that's where it ends. Yet, with all of that, if Sammy comes to town, there's a good chance that I would go and see him: the enthusiasm that he and Mike bring to the show is contagious; the Circle's bandmates are brimming with positivity. Who wouldn't want to be around that?

Back on Van Halen: I wouldn't want to see an encore of 2015, yet it's likely that that's what we would get in 2019. If anything, in spite of EVH, AVH, and WVH's excellence, a bored and spiritless EVH - who was or has been painted into a corner...the prospect of this is nothing for me to get stoked over.

Am I alone in this?
    "...We've been in this bizarre, VH inflicted musical purgatory for years, just begging for a sign of life. Yet, instead of acknowledging the obvious, we get pictures of this freakin' dog falling asleep.." - Japeape

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Don't Tell Me
    Last Online

02.18.19 @ 08:08 PM
    Liked 131 Times in 81 Posts

I’m with you. Maybe a bit more negative than you.

I can’t think of a lineup that would really get me excited enough to go buy a ticket.
    SOME VH LINKS CLASSICS

"Sammy is fat, Dave is bald, Mike is next in line to be the Pope, Eddie is a drunk, Wolfie is fat, Gary is gay, CVH is VH, Mike is VH, Sammy can outsing Dave on a tequilla hangover, Eddie is a meth head, How Many Say I is the worst VH song ever, Up for Breakfast is a close second, Dave was horrible at radio and everybody hates the assless chaps.
    Ok I think that covers everything." Ziggysmalls

"I sense that some of our newer passengers may be nervous due to the sudden turbulence. Please be seated, this is simply a normal part of the periodic ride.
    I didn't say we'll get to the destination, but until Alex comes out a says what a complete waste of carbon DLR is, we're still climbing, so strap yourselves in.
    Those of you who have been on this ride before, the hottie in the mini will be around shortly with your drinks......." Red

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

02.18.19 @ 11:22 PM
    Liked 3,126 Times in 2,006 Posts

Na, you're not alone. After three tours and one record it's bound to get stale, for some.

Personally, I'd like to see them....if it happens.
    Don't know if I'll have to extra cash to do so but I still would.
    It's really no different from The Stones. Its been a greatest hits tour for awhile now.
    Yeah, it's not gonna change much but it's still a good time if you can go.

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Eruption
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 12:40 AM
    Liked 333 Times in 154 Posts

I would go just to see Eddie play again in the same room as me--albeit an extremely large room. It was his playing that attracted me to this band. He doesn't owe me anything. He has given me so much over the years, so whatever he wants to give from here on out will be an awesome bonus. I'm not making any demands. He's getting older and won't tour forever. One day, he'll just say, "Nope, I'm not doing it anymore." His status as a legendary musician simply can't be stated enough. His talent is so rare. When Eddie finally decides to quit touring--it may have already happened, people are going to be saying, "Man, why didn't I go to that last tour just to see him play one more time?"
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

7. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 03:06 PM
    Liked 12,005 Times in 6,520 Posts

Premium Member

I was about 20 feet ft from Ed at the 2nd show of the tour at Ridgfield in 2015, and also saw open ing night at White River, from right in front of the soundboard. Sorry, I didn't see a bored or spiritless Ed.

While I hope we get new product, and of course would love to see the original band back together, the truth is that the day is coming when all these guys won't be physically able to play or possibly not even above ground. If they tour in 2019 and beyond, I will see them and know that I won't have to worry about having any regret about not seeing them for their last tour, whenever that may be.

Kudos to those that do, but I have ZERO interest in seeing Sam and Mike in the Circle. Sure they are enthusiastic, but for me, it's a pretty average band and average show.

9. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Also, there is going to come a time where even Alex won't be able to blaze away on stuff like HFT, LUTS, Romeo Delight, and Everybody Wants Some!! As of the 2015 tour, that day had not yet come. When it does, I don't want to have the regret of thinking, "Damn, why didn't I see him that one last time when I had the chance?"

11. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

02.19.19 @ 03:38 PM
    Liked 2,672 Times in 1,705 Posts

Donor

Iím always gonna see Eddie live if he tours. If they tour Iíll be there...unless theyíre playing a short set opening for some other less pertinent to me band in a stadium. Not worth the crowds or the hassle or the dough if itís VH4 for 45 minutes.

I dunno if Iím gonna see the Circle. I saw em in Ď17, it was good, but not the ĎFoot good.

Iíd be VIP all the way for the OG Foot or the OG VH doing a club run.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 220 Times in 114 Posts

I appreciate the replies of all, and the diversity of opinion that's been expressed.

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    I was about 20 feet ft from Ed at the 2nd show of the tour at Ridgfield in 2015, and also saw open ing night at White River, from right in front of the soundboard. Sorry, I didn't see a bored or spiritless Ed.
    I won't debate the point, considering that I wasn't there .

May I ask what the tickets cost? I have always wanted a seat close to the stage, and as much as I am indifferent to a 2019 tour, there remains within me a glimmer of hope that Van Halen will exit with something special.
    "...We've been in this bizarre, VH inflicted musical purgatory for years, just begging for a sign of life. Yet, instead of acknowledging the obvious, we get pictures of this freakin' dog falling asleep.." - Japeape

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    I appreciate the replies of all, and the diversity of opinion that's been expressed.

I won't debate the point, considering that I wasn't there .

May I ask what the tickets cost? I have always wanted a seat close to the stage, and as much as I am indifferent to a 2019 tour, there remains within me a glimmer of hope that Van Halen will exit with something special.
    It really was the luck of the draw on that Ridgfield show. Mrs JD was on the computer the Saturday morning that Ticketmaster put the shows on sale. She just typed in "Best available" and two tickets in the I think it was the 5th row, right in front of Ed popped up. They were normal price, same as the ones we got that same morning for the opening night White River show.

IIRC, I believe they were around $180 each after taxes and extra BS charges. We hadn't even planned on going to Ridgfield, but on a whim Mrs JD typed it in, and when those seats came up I said, "We are going to THAT SHOW, too!!"

I hadn't been that close since my cousin and I were right up front against the fence, 10 ft from Ed, at Portland Meadows racetrack(no seating) in August 1993. Good times.

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 10:55 AM
    Liked 2,119 Times in 1,309 Posts

Van Halen has always and will be my band. If they tour, than I am there. It really is that simple for me. Do I still get fired up to hear ATBL for the millionth time.....you bet.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

19. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 8,560 Times in 6,160 Posts

Premium Member

Remember Robert Downey Jr's speech at the Spike TV Awards?
    "I have three words for you - Eddie. Van. Halen!!!"

I'll go for Eddie, and not much interest in any of the others in the last lineup, assuming that's what we will/might get in 2019. Don't think I glanced much at any of the other three on the last tour... If Eddie is playing in my hometown, I'll be there if possible.

As VS said, not much interest in a condensed set in a stadium with an all day festival deal.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 02:04 PM
    Liked 260 Times in 170 Posts

Probably just YouTube it without new music. Honestly think I've got too old for concerts..don't like people.lol
    Dealing with it.

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Last Online

02.19.19 @ 03:03 PM
    Liked 4,277 Times in 1,625 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Iím a relatively young fan. When I discovered the band I thought they were toast, never to tour again. Then 2004 happened and I thought I was the luckiest kid in the world.

Most of the guys on here were fans during Roth or Hagarís first runs with VH. I wasnít even aware of VH till after VHIII, when the band seemed dead.

So Iíll take every opportunity Iíve got to see them, especially Eddie, as I havenít had many opportunities before.

And FWIW, my 2015 show was fire. I was front row, directly in front of Ed, and I didnít see an ounce of disinterest or anything. It was awesome.

24. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

All with David
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.06.19 @ 04:27 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

They will not tour this summer.
    If they are going to play this summer, they must release tickets now.
    If it is Livenation that arranges then they have requirements when you have to drop tickets so that you can see how it goes.

Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, Unchained, ITO
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 145 Times in 90 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Van Halen has always and will be my band. If they tour, than I am there. It really is that simple for me. Do I still get fired up to hear ATBL for the millionth time.....you bet.
    I’m with you, Raldo.

27. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL