Last Online

02.17.19 @ 02:46 PM
    Liked 8,559 Times in 6,159 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by VH1988 View Post
    The band was crushing that tour.

Mine All Mine opener. Ahhh.
    One of their best tunes IMO. Any era.
    I was 21... First time seeing VH, I get front row, touched Sammy & Mike, and was about five feet from King Edward... That night is ingrained in my DNA!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

02.16.19 @ 10:05 PM
    Liked 220 Times in 114 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Streets View Post
    I love Van Halen, I love hearing the original six pack live but.....

Iíve seen enough of this version, Iíve heard the songs Iíve wanted to hear live, good seats are well north of $400 and average is still $150 ti hear the same stuff Iíve already heard?

If it was supporting a new album, or some kind of tangible release, then Iíd go
    That was my position before posting this thread, but seeing everyone's enthusiasm has me reconsidering.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    And FWIW, my 2015 show was fire. I was front row, directly in front of Ed, and I didnít see an ounce of disinterest or anything. It was awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by maltiero View Post
    I saw VH in 2015 at the PNC Bank Arts Center in NJ. Eddie was super into the show and crowd. He even did a couple of his classic jumps and leaps. Honestly it was one of the best shows Iíve ever seen, and that takes out my VH fandom. Iím also a younger fan compared to some on the site, so just being able to see EVH and the band at all I would be cool with.
    I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wombattt View Post
    Big difference with The Stones is they are still out out new music...Blue & Lonesome is a terrific release...and they are currently working on a new album...plus they just toured Europe and are coming back to the States this Spring. Their stadium shows have predictable setlists, but if you ever get a chance to see them in a club (they still do surprise gigs in those) they play a lot of deep cuts...they are in the 70s and far from their prime, but seeing them in a club you really get to witness how good they are live. Well, at least I did. Thereís a reason theyíve stayed around for 50 plus years and havenít turned into Sha Na Na.

Edit...and they continually release stuff from their vault.
    Your post hit a nerve, and that's what gets me so twisted about Van Halen (though I will stop now, before I find myself going into a rant).

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I paid about $20.00 for a ticket in '93 for a general admission show... Not bad for front row, just left of center stage!!!
    I feel like an idiot for not coming on here sooner, and asking about how to get bargain ticket seats.

I grew up on Long Island, which was blessed with several great record stores, including Tower Records and Looney Tunes in West Babylon. My point being is that the stores always had aficionado's hanging around, and there was always something to be gleaned through a conversation.

(As I write all of this, memories surface...damn, I am not nostalgic over the 1980's for the point of nostalgia, but we really had it good when it comes to music!)
    "...We've been in this bizarre, VH inflicted musical purgatory for years, just begging for a sign of life. Yet, instead of acknowledging the obvious, we get pictures of this freakin' dog falling asleep.." - Japeape

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Here's an example about why I never looked into getting good seats:

https://www.stubhub.com/elton-john-t...sort=price+asc

Elton's most expensive seat, is fetching an astronomical $7,125 per ticket!

So...when y'all are looking for seats, what's the easiest way to get discounted tickets with little risk attached to the transaction?
    "...We've been in this bizarre, VH inflicted musical purgatory for years, just begging for a sign of life. Yet, instead of acknowledging the obvious, we get pictures of this freakin' dog falling asleep.." - Japeape

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 3,300 Times in 2,012 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    Here's an example about why I never looked into getting good seats:

https://www.stubhub.com/elton-john-t...sort=price+asc

Elton's most expensive seat, is fetching an astronomical $7,125 per ticket!

So...when y'all are looking for seats, what's the easiest way to get discounted tickets with little risk attached to the transaction?
    I'm glad I saw most of these guys when I was young. Aerosmith.......7.50 like 15th row center 1975
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    I'm glad I saw most of these guys when I was young. Aerosmith.......7.50 like 15th row center 1975
    Oh yeah; everything's totally out of control.

I did look online for inflation calculators, but the results vary widely; adjusted for inflation, $8 in 1975 is now said to be between $30-38 (2019) dollars.

Good Enough
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 2,316 Times in 961 Posts

I am definitely interested in seeing Van Halen live again and would love another tour this year. It has been nearly 4 years since I saw the band live, so there isn't a sense of "staleness" with seeing the band live. If the band does tour again, I hope more rare songs get added to the setlist such as Sinner's Swing, Top Jimmy, Secrets, DOA, Take Your Whisky Home. I also hope songs get play from ADKOT such as Outta Space, As Is and Honebabysweetiedoll.

Part of the fun experience from the previous tours is walking through the parking lot at the venue as different Van Halen songs are blaring from car audio systems. Can't beat the pre-gaming aspect for your favorite band!

8. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 11,997 Times in 6,517 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by vcooper3 View Post
    I am definitely interested in seeing Van Halen live again and would love another tour this year. It has been nearly 4 years since I saw the band live, so there isn't a sense of "staleness" with seeing the band live. If the band does tour again, I hope more rare songs get added to the setlist such as Sinner's Swing, Top Jimmy, Secrets, DOA, Take Your Whisky Home. I also hope songs get play from ADKOT such as Outta Space, As Is and Honebabysweetiedoll.

Part of the fun experience from the previous tours is walking through the parking lot at the venue as different Van Halen songs are blaring from car audio systems. Can't beat the pre-gaming aspect for your favorite band!
    I feel the same way. People act like it's just been the same set each of the last 3 tours, but that's not the case. Of course, the big hits and staples are going to be played, but they've managed to switch up the deep cuts on every one of the tours. Every tune on VHI has been played except On Fire. Every tune on II except DOA and YNG(Bottoms Up was only played once or twice in 2012 so it would be nice to see that one some more). 4 songs from WACF, 5 songs from FW, every tune from 1984 except Top Jimmy and HOP.

I'd loved to see all the ones you mentioned, plus LOC, Fools, and PCTS.

10. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 09:20 AM
    Liked 2,019 Times in 1,102 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

It means I buy tickets.

I'm the guy that doesn't need new music, remember?
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Good Enough
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 02:45 PM
    Liked 3,582 Times in 1,577 Posts

Premium Member

It means buy tix

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Darrin Stephens; 02.06.19 at 05:54 PM.

Last Online

02.16.19 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 221 Times in 114 Posts

I'm assuming some "Stadium" tour will mean the band may play only 12-15 songs instead of 20+. They may not be the headliner. If I'm fighting with fans for other major bands for tickets I may not even go as I'm not going to pay out of this world for tix. So yeah, not as excited. Would prefer an album of course.

But if they are just going out with an opening act I'd be very excited, even though yeah, it won't be that great considering they are rockers with walkers.
    Right here I say....

Last Online

02.17.19 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,696 Posts

Donor

Best way for VH to retire....cash cow as well as flashpoint...is to do the hyped and heavily promoted BOBW tour the fans would want. It'll sell like hotcakes and appease across the spectrum. The novelty alone will fill the nosebleeds, the mainstream and diehards will fill the rest. It's a no brainer. An hour and fifteen of Dave, an hour and fifteen of Sam. Hits plus two deep cuts per set. Boom, checkmate.

At this point, it's the only way to fire up the VH machine. A new album won't do it, and neither will having Mike return...that should've happened in '07 with Dave. The irons have grown cool.

At this point...it's Dave Sam Mike Ed Al with a full court press...flaming gongs, massive stage setup with plenty of pyro and lasers and vid screens, a solid and known opening act, limited edition farewell tour merch, the whole nine yards, fully backed by Azoff and Live nation resources....

...or a continued fade into history.

If it were me, Ed...I'd do the former. 50 dates, in every major market in the U.S. and a few in Canada, two nights in NY, LA, Vegas, Chi-town, and Texas.

Suck up the dough with a vacuum cleaner....yummy yum.

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 02:19 PM
    Liked 2,934 Times in 1,006 Posts

Premium Member

That way VAN HALEN can coheadline and open and close!
    The most important hour is always the present. The most significant person is precisely the one sitting across from you right now. The most necessary work is always love.
    - Meister Eckhart

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 307 Times in 199 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Best way for VH to retire....cash cow as well as flashpoint...is to do the hyped and heavily promoted BOBW tour the fans would want. It'll sell like hotcakes and appease across the spectrum. The novelty alone will fill the nosebleeds, the mainstream and diehards will fill the rest. It's a no brainer. An hour and fifteen of Dave, an hour and fifteen of Sam. Hits plus two deep cuts per set. Boom, checkmate.

At this point, it's the only way to fire up the VH machine. A new album won't do it, and neither will having Mike return...that should've happened in '07 with Dave. The irons have grown cool.

At this point...it's Dave Sam Mike Ed Al with a full court press...flaming gongs, massive stage setup with plenty of pyro and lasers and vid screens, a solid and known opening act, limited edition farewell tour merch, the whole nine yards, fully backed by Azoff and Live nation resources....

...or a continued fade into history.

If it were me, Ed...I'd do the former. 50 dates, in every major market in the U.S. and a few in Canada, two nights in NY, LA, Vegas, Chi-town, and Texas.

Suck up the dough with a vacuum cleaner....yummy yum.
    I’m not convinced the BOBW w/ Mike would do that well...reading your post I questioned how successful the Sam & Dave Tour was? Remember apart from fans on a message board, I doubt anyone cared that it was a traveling sh*t show

What wa the bottom line? I’d wager that’s what the Brothers, and management are looking at. I don’t remember those shows selling out, did any? I know VH1 did a show, but did anyone other than the aforementioned message board crowd see it?

I’m pretty sure they have, and know their audience.

Just a little different perspective for ya.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Last Online

02.17.19 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,696 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by wombattt View Post
    I’m not convinced the BOBW w/ Mike would do that well...reading your post I questioned how successful the Sam & Dave Tour was? Remember apart from fans on a message board, I doubt anyone cared that it was a traveling sh*t show

What wa the bottom line? I’d wager that’s what the Brothers, and management are looking at. I don’t remember those shows selling out, did any? I know VH1 did a show, but did anyone other than the aforementioned message board crowd see it?

I’m pretty sure they have, and know their audience.

Just a little different perspective for ya.
    A BOBW tour is a tad different than the Sam Dave tour.

Exhibit A: EVH

The ĎO2 gig in LA was sold out. I dunno about other markets. Granted Gibson Amp was a small 5k venue. Dave sucked that night. Sam opened and Mikey appeared for a few of Samís songs for one of the first times ever onstage without Ed and Al.

A Dave Sam tour would sell gangbusters. Itíd be the novelty then the nostalgia.

Sample setlist from the Sam Dave tour:

Dave

01. Hot for Teacher
    02. Panama
    03. And the Cradle Will Rock
    04. Mean Street
    05. Dance the Night Away
    06. Runnin' With the Devil
    07. I'm the One
    08. You Really Got Me
    09. Beautiful Girls
    10. So This Is Love?
    11. Atomic Punk
    12. Little Dreamer
    13. (Oh) Pretty Woman
    14. Yankee Rose
    15. Ice Cream Man
    16. Everybody Wants Some
    17. Unchained
    18. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Encore:
    19. Jump

Sam

01. Red
    02. Runaround
    03. Three Lock Box
    04. There's Only One Way to Rock
    05. Give to Live
    06. Top of the World
    07. Why Can't This Be Love
    08. 5150
    09. Poundcake
    10. Finish What Ya Started
    11. Eagles Fly
    12. Little White Lies
    13. I Can't Drive 55
    14. Heavy Metal
    15. Mas Tequila
    Encore:
    16. Dreams
    17. Right Now

I still think Ed shouldíve agreed to play one of Daveís solo songs like he did with Sam. An Eddie enhanced version of Yankee Rose would be a nice change up.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

02.13.19 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 195 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

If they ever came to my city I would most certainly go and see them ... Would I travel to a far off city to see them, absolutely not in 2019 ... 2007 yes for sure ...

Would I be excited for a tour, no not really ...

Would I be super excited to hear and own in any format an all formats it came out in new music with any past line up (except VHIII line up) absolutely ...