Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, Unchained, ITO
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 08:42 AM
    Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH1988 View Post
    “They are not going to reunite with Sammy.”

Personally this is why I don’t attend.

I totally understand classic fans being underwhelmed from 86-95 as that lineup barely played their fave tunes live. Sammy has gone on record saying that was the biggest mistake the band made. As a fan who became a fanatic in 1989, the current lineup just isn’t the band I love. I owned 1984 as a casual fan but it was OU812 that did it for me. So I went back to discover the 6 pack after becoming obsessed with OU812 then 5150 then Live Without A Net.

Now Eddie is an incredible talent but I’ve seen what he can do. He doesn’t evolve.

I’ve seen 27 Van Halen concerts so I’m not concerned about seeing them one last time. I decided I was done seeing them live after the 2012 tour. As the years go by and they continue to ignore my era even happened I’m less inclined to support them.
    I think it was a mistake to ignore so much of the back catalog beginning in '86. If I recall, they played ATBL, Jump, and Panama on the regular. They played RWTD on the OU812 tour and added Unchained on the LRHRN tour. I can understand playing fewer songs from the back catalog as the number of albums increased, but they still should have maintained a nice steady rotation of the early years. Maybe a quarter to a third of the set. After the first tour, the Sam solo stuff should have been excluded, though I did like One Way to Rock. Adding DTNA, EWS, and HFT into the rotation would have helped. Unchained should have been there from the beginning. No Van Halen show should exclude Unchanied. They should have ditched all those solos, except for Ed. That would have opened up the catalog a bit.

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 01:26 PM
    Liked 1,108 Times in 755 Posts

Honestly I use stubhub for all shows that I know will not sell out.

I attend concerts for way less than face value.

I once got a 3rd row ticket for Rush in 2012 for $50.

I tracked this ticket for a few hours and it kept dropping. Once ticket time hit I grabbed it.

For the Circle concert here in June I’ll buy tix that day as he will sell 10K tix in a venue that holds 24K.
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

"ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

Last Online

02.17.19 @ 07:50 AM
    Liked 3,080 Times in 1,622 Posts

Done minimum Toronto, Buffalo, Detroit, Montreal since 79.
    This won't be any different... esp if last tour.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Team Edward View Post
    I think it was a mistake to ignore so much of the back catalog beginning in '86. If I recall, they played ATBL, Jump, and Panama on the regular. They played RWTD on the OU812 tour and added Unchained on the LRHRN tour. I can understand playing fewer songs from the back catalog as the number of albums increased, but they still should have maintained a nice steady rotation of the early years. Maybe a quarter to a third of the set. After the first tour, the Sam solo stuff should have been excluded, though I did like One Way to Rock. Adding DTNA, EWS, and HFT into the rotation would have helped. Unchained should have been there from the beginning. No Van Halen show should exclude Unchanied. They should have ditched all those solos, except for Ed. That would have opened up the catalog a bit.
    I always loved the Hagar tunes in the set as I became a fan of both One Way To Rock and 55 via Live Without A Net. But yeah they should’ve had the majority of songs been from the Roth era on that first tour. Hagar admittedly says his giant ego fucked that up. He said that Eddie was running away from that material due to the breakup. It is what it is.

If Hagar was putting his spin on classic tunes he would’ve kept more Roth fans onboard I think. Who knows? They probably would’ve hated him for singing Dave’s stuff.

But that first tour should’ve been classic tunes with the new singer and tracks from 5150. As Hagar fronted more albums they could replace with more newer songs.
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

"ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.16.19 @ 05:50 PM
    Liked 768 Times in 368 Posts

Premium Member

Time is running out on seeing these guys whatever then incarnation is. Time is probably running out on some of us here. I'll take any chance I get to see them. New music, no new music, promoting Ed's gear, whatever reason there may be.

Hope we see them this year!
    VH RULES!
    21 Shows Attended 1993-2015

8. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 01:21 PM
    Liked 241 Times in 143 Posts

I'm beginning to think it would be best if VH used some sort of CGI device to get 3-D holograms of Dave, then Sammy, on-stage for a set of songs from each era. I'm mixing technologies, but this could be the best solution!

I'll suggest the '81 Dave hologram because I don't want to hear him sing Jump or Panama live again.
    1981 - Lexington
    1982 - Louisville
    1983 - Lexington
    1984 - Lexington and Cincinnati
    1988 - Lexington
    1994 - Cleveland
    2007 - Indianapolis
    2012 - Washington, DC and Nashville
    2015 - Bristow, VA

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.15.19 @ 09:05 PM
    Liked 205 Times in 81 Posts

If VH 4.0 toured again without new music, I'd probably bitch a little about it being a cash grab.....and then give them my cash.

The upshot is that I don't think it would be a very hot ticket, so a seat in the first 10 rows sub-$200 would be doable.
    ~Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.~

Laurence J. Peter

11. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 2,448 Times in 1,161 Posts

I'll go, but this time around, I'm not watching any youtube videos or reading reviews in advance. The whole point for me is smoking just enough weed and drinking just enough beer and being just far enough from the stage to see and hear the VH I remember, fucking live. Nostalgia at it's best. When I went to MSG on 3-1-12 I was 12 rows center and I felt like it was 25-30 years ago. With thousands of other VH fans around me also transported back in time. You're a part of it. I'm sure another 7 years will be a major difference but it will still be about the experience, for me. And it will probably the last one.

I think that's one reason they never want to release a DVD -- a VH concert just is not the same unless you're there. And crappy youtube videos are even worse.

It's like actually being part of an orgy vs just watching one on the internet.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 12:46 PM
    Liked 8,559 Times in 6,159 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by DressedinRags View Post
    I'm beginning to think it would be best if VH used some sort of CGI device to get 3-D holograms of Dave, then Sammy, on-stage for a set of songs from each era. I'm mixing technologies, but this could be the best solution!

I'll suggest the '81 Dave hologram because I don't want to hear him sing Jump or Panama live again.
    Neat idea, although I'd suggest one of those silent Super 8 films for Dave at this point!

Quote Originally Posted by DRFC View Post
    I'll go, but this time around, I'm not watching any youtube videos or reading reviews in advance. The whole point for me is smoking just enough weed and drinking just enough beer and being just far enough from the stage to see and hear the VH I remember, fucking live. Nostalgia at it's best. When I went to MSG on 3-1-12 I was 12 rows center and I felt like it was 25-30 years ago. With thousands of other VH fans around me also transported back in time. You're a part of it. I'm sure another 7 years will be a major difference but it will still be about the experience, for me. And it will probably the last one.

I think that's one reason they never want to release a DVD -- a VH concert just is not the same unless you're there. And crappy youtube videos are even worse.

It's like actually being part of an orgy vs just watching one on the internet.
    Great point(s). There is certainly an excitement element to 'being there', as most of us know.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

02.16.19 @ 10:05 PM
    Liked 220 Times in 114 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    It really was the luck of the draw on that Ridgfield show. Mrs JD was on the computer the Saturday morning that Ticketmaster put the shows on sale. She just typed in "Best available" and two tickets in the I think it was the 5th row, right in front of Ed popped up. They were normal price, same as the ones we got that same morning for the opening night White River show.

IIRC, I believe they were around $180 each after taxes and extra BS charges. We hadn't even planned on going to Ridgfield, but on a whim Mrs JD typed it in, and when those seats came up I said, "We are going to THAT SHOW, too!!"

I hadn't been that close since my cousin and I were right up front against the fence, 10 ft from Ed, at Portland Meadows racetrack(no seating) in August 1993. Good times.
    Bro, that's sick: $180 a piece for the 5th row? I usually don't attribute good outcomes to luck, but an exception is made in this case.
    "...We've been in this bizarre, VH inflicted musical purgatory for years, just begging for a sign of life. Yet, instead of acknowledging the obvious, we get pictures of this freakin' dog falling asleep.." - Japeape

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 01:40 PM
    Liked 11,996 Times in 6,517 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    Bro, that's sick: $180 a piece for the 5th row? I usually don't attribute good outcomes to luck, but an exception is made in this case.
    It was pretty great. Not gonna lie.

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 12:46 PM
    Liked 8,559 Times in 6,159 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    I paid about $20.00 for a ticket in '93 for a general admission show... Not bad for front row, just left of center stage!!!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

NDL

Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I paid about $20.00 for a ticket in '93 for a general admission show... Not bad for front row, just left of center stage!!!
    The band was crushing that tour.

Mine All Mine opener. Ahhh.
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

23. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

02.17.19 @ 07:50 AM
    Liked 3,080 Times in 1,622 Posts

Edward was incredible in 93

We were front row Darien Lake (Buffalo) right in front of Ed, but what was so cool was that Darien was an unusual venue in 93 where front row was literally 4 feet from his mic stand and the stage was very low... Still remember him kicking into Mine all Mine with total control of the instrument. Quite a sight that up-close.

Unreal

25. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

02.17.19 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 4,269 Times in 1,619 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VH1988 View Post
    It’s a sad state of affairs when a VH message board posters are not interested in a tour.
    While everybody's sentiments and opinions are valid I'm sure some tunes will change if a tour is announced.

27. The Following 3 Members Like This Post: